Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

ongarboy wrote: »
    The restaurant will continue to deliver its extensive range of quality meals and snacks that has made it a firm Tralee favourite in its first six months of business.

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Lol

Well I guess there is a line drawn in the sand now. Looking forward to their latest offerings

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Rocky Mountain have announced on their FB page that there will be a change of ownership soon. That didn't last long did it? Some of the people posting comments on FB are convinced it's Burger King (I think someone here hinted at that too). Is there truth in that rumour, I wonder? It's definitely a ready to go operation for any of the big name franchises whose brand power will allow it to attract custom county wide like McDonalds does. I'm sorry to see any business fail but RM definitely lacked something that allowed it to be successful. I was only there once but it didn't have that factor that makes you want to visit again.

See their official statement below.

Rocky Mountain welcomes new proprietors and management. The restaurant will continue to deliver its extensive range of quality meals and snacks that has made it a firm Tralee favourite in its first six months of business. There will be exciting developments in the New Year, so make sure you check Facebook for further news.

I heard it is definitely Burger King & I think possibly Costa Coffee are going in too. Apparently this was the plan all along!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I heard it is definitely Burger King & I think possibly Costa Coffee are going in too. Apparently this was the plan all along!

Why? Did they think that if Burger King were the planning applicants they would not get favourable treatment?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »
    Why? Did they think that if Burger King were the planning applicants they would not get favourable treatment?

that's what I heard, it was to do with planning! I don't know for sure, but from what I've been told, this was all the plan from first day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

that's what I heard, it was to do with planning! I don't know for sure, but from what I've been told, this was all the plan from first day.

I can see the logic as far as planning. Multinationals seeking planning seem to draw out all the objectors and wrath of the planners whereas a non-descript unknown offering the exact same concept or fare sails through planning. There's always a backlash against the big bad multinationals. It's like blaming McDonalds for obesity but not your local sweet shop, bakery, chipper or supermarket!

Odd though, that so much was invested in the furnishing of the building if they knew that shortly after they'd be revamping it to the standard look of whatever chain takes over (assuming it is BK)

Interesting to see how it pans out. I hope any staff that are or were let go get hired by the new operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Quite probably the burgerking move was planned all along, wouldn't surprise me at all considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I hope any staff that are or were let go get hired by the new operator.
    I'd say half of Mounthawk school will be thinking the same. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

Burger King planned all along. Have taken over since Monday, but for some technical/legal reasons won't have any name/brand change until 2014. 25 year lease signed apparently.

Heard planning permission sought other side of Manor for KFC.

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Burger King planned all along. Have taken over since Monday, but for some technical/legal reasons won't have any name/brand change until 2014. 25 year lease signed apparently.

The waistlines of Tralee are about to get bigger!!!:-)

• Advertisement

:D

Another Costa Coffee?

Another Costa Coffee?

I saw someone say on their FB page its a Subway going in with BurgerKing!? who knows, but its defo Burgerking!

I saw someone say on their FB page its a Subway going in with BurgerKing!? who knows, but its defo Burgerking!

Another Subway???

Carraig95 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

sorry to hear the 12 lads from g4s ( the blue vans that drive around with money) are losing their jobs in Tralee, they have been around a long time.

This Court report is a bit of a laugh. Turns out our jewellrey thief was staying at the Carlton no less. He previously lived in the Tralee area. He arrived in the country 3 days ago from Germany.

Note to self: Must try Yummies Cafe - their coffee must put a spring in one's step......

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/marathon-detectives-run-down-ring-theft-accused-248807.html

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

I see plans have been lodged for the Northern ring road which will connect Forges Cross to the Abbeydorney road.

The layout looks similar to the Dromtacker link road.

I spotted a 'derelict notice' up on the door of the Old Oak in Rock Street!

I spotted a 'derelict notice' up on the door of the Old Oak in Rock Street!

I was parked near the side door recently (laneway that runs behind the multi storey car park) and I noticed the glass had a hole in it, so I had a peep through, looked a sad state, glasses still on the bar and broken glass around the floor, seems a total waste of what was once a thriving venue.

• Advertisement

I saw the fire brigade racing down town earlier, about 2.30pm, and then saw them coming out of the Presentation Convent school laneway onto Castle St afterwards. Hope it was not serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

siblers wrote: »
    Did they give any indications of what speeds you can expect? I know they say up to 24mb but you might only get 1mb.

Didn't say. To be honest if i get anything above 4Mb I'll be happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

I was parked near the side door recently (laneway that runs behind the multi storey car park) and I noticed the glass had a hole in it, so I had a peep through, looked a sad state, glasses still on the bar and broken glass around the floor, seems a total waste of what was once a thriving venue.

Before my time but why did it close

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

kn wrote: »
    Presentation Convent school laneway onto Castle St
    Green Lane , this was a regular pub quiz question in the 80's!

adam88 wrote: »
    Before my time but why did it close

Afaik it was the usual reasons, financial!

I seem to remember it was someone from Cork (I could be very wrong there) that took over the old 'Pig n Whistle' bar and transformed it into the Old Oak.
    As far as I remember, it was very busy up to the time it closed.
    What I cant understand is why has it been left sit there for all these years. It would have made a fortune if sold during the Celtic tiger years, and even still must be worth a fair sum, its on a big site.

Old Oak was a huuuuge pub though. I remember it being absolutely mobbed, but then I remember it being very empty, and when it was empty it was feckin empty, too big to fill other than busy Friday/Saturday nights. Beautiful pub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Old Oak was a huuuuge pub though. I remember it being absolutely mobbed, but then I remember it being very empty, and when it was empty it was feckin empty, too big to fill other than busy Friday/Saturday nights. Beautiful pub though.

Remember going in a handful of times,never really took a shine to the place tbh,its a pity to see that it hasn't re opened since.

Remember going in a handful of times,never really took a shine to the place tbh,its a pity to see that it hasn't re opened since.

Have to say I liked the place. It was I think the first disco in Town giving free entry, good music and vibe in the place, drink wasn't overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Ahhhh Blue moose, we always listened to them in the oak.

Good times

• Advertisement

I miss The Rambling House!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement