Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Ahhhh Blue moose, we always listened to them in the oak.

Good times

Anyone remember the night Blink played the oak?
    The San Diego, California based pop punk band now known as Blink-182 was originally also called Blink, but due to a legal dispute with the Irish Blink resulted in their name change to Blink-182.
    Fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

The San Diego, California based pop punk band now known as Blink-182 was originally also called Blink, but due to a legal dispute with the Irish Blink resulted in their name change to Blink-182.
    Fact!

So... Blink or Blink-182 played in the Oak?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Fact!

I think the only gig I went to in the Old Oak was to see the Walls (the two Walls brothers from the Stunning!) in 2001, really good & been a fan every since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I also have a vague memory of Christy dignam on top of the bar in there.

I either dreamt it or was soo drunk I thought it was him or it was me in the bar or might of been a different bar in a different county!

Anyone can back this up?.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I also have a vague memory of Christy dignam on top of the bar in there.

I either dreamt it or was soo drunk I thought it was him or it was me in the bar or might of been a different bar in a different county!

Anyone can back this up?.

I think Aslan played there alright!
    Nice guy Christy Dignam, served him once, and another band member, had a nice chat with them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Adiboo wrote: »

We're they on for long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

I think thats an urban myth, no?

Adiboo wrote: »

The Irish Blink. I have the poster frim the gig somewhere.
    They should have been far bigger than they were.
    First album great, second album great, third album..amm..not so great...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

We're they on for long?

Blink and you would have missed them!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I think thats an urban myth, no?

"The band were initially known as Blink until an Irish techno band threatened legal action; they appended "-182" for no reason"

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink-182

(I'm not saying that it's not a myth, but there does appear to be some basis for it)

• Advertisement

There are two constants in this world, well three actually Death, Taxes and the fact that the lady in the shop in the train station is always there, always very nice and never seems to age. I reckon she should get an award for services to the town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Blink and you would have missed them!

Ahhh at least someone's awake. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What do you make of the news in The Kerrys Eye that the Sport Complex needs 18k a week to survive.Here are sum figures from the report

300k visits a year

250k visits in 2013 but not counting students

144k last year used the pool with most of these been schools and groups

Wage bill stands at over €456k with energy costs of €181k

To operate the centre last year it cost over €646k

The last audit in 2011 showed the centre made a loss of €26k while what I think should be 2012 there was a loss of €80k

Interesting reading,must be very hard to keep it a float with all the competition there is now.I think the last time I was in there was years ago to watch a Tralee Tigers basketball match cant remember the last time I was in there to use the facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Are there any physios open on a Saturday in town? Or anywhere else? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Is there a fire back fenit/spa direction?, I can see blue lights from the parents place and thats miles away!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is there a fire back fenit/spa direction?, I can see blue lights from the parents place and thats miles away!

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/fire-brigade-tackles-blaze-outside-tralee/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Just in Rocky Mountain. The latest,,,, they've run out of burger buns

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

adam88 wrote: »

Amateur bloody hour! Lol

New management my b***x, I reckon they said there was a change of management in the hope it would get people to try the place out.

If they have run out of bloody burger buns on a Friday night, there is no way that KFC or Burger King have taken over!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

adam88 wrote: »

The earliest posts after opening suggested a range of issues with the management of the operation but others shouted them down for being defeatist/pessimistic or whatever. If this does not confirm that I do not know what does? Or maybe it might be an indicator of financial issues if they were unable to get credit from suppliers? In any case all the early posters who questioned the operation have been vindicated. I personally have not set foot in the place as of yet so I cannot comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

On a separate note, I would question how well Burger King will do in such close proximity to Mc Donalds. I have a few young nephews who would love to see KFC coming to Tralee. I never hear them mention Burger King tbh.
    I have never even been inside the door of the one in Killarney.
    Still though, it will give it a fighting chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I never eat in KFC or McD's, would never go into Rocky Mountain but I eat in Burger King about 3-4 times a year. Different strokes for different folks, just because you and your nephews don't eat there doesn't mean others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

KFC is a pile of greasy muck. Burger King have lovely flame grilled burgers on offer. Especially the steakhouse Angus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I don't have a dog in this fight at all. I've never been to MickeyD's over in Manor for example but I have used the takeaway's when out of town I find Burger King to be a cut above MickeyD's in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

On a separate note, I would question how well Burger King will do in such close proximity to Mc Donalds. I have a few young nephews who would love to see KFC coming to Tralee. I never hear them mention Burger King tbh.
    I have never even been inside the door of the one in Killarney.
    Still though, it will give it a fighting chance.

In Limerick there is a BK and a McD across the way from each other. Both are always full at some stage as you have people who prefer one over the other or people who like both(like me :D ), so I think it could work.

I just hope the BK is run properly and puts out consistent food. I don't want a KFC at all... mank! I'll just stick to Hillbillies(or chicken hut when I visit my parents) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

MJ's all the way baby! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

There are two constants in this world, well three actually Death, Taxes and the fact that the lady in the shop in the train station is always there, always very nice and never seems to age. I reckon she should get an award for services to the town!

in tralee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Ahhhh Blue moose, we always listened to them in the oak.

Good times

their often in mcsorleys in killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

I never eat in KFC or McD's, would never go into Rocky Mountain but I eat in Burger King about 3-4 times a year. Different strokes for different folks, just because you and your nephews don't eat there doesn't mean others don't.

Very true, and I am sure I will give BK a try, I would just question whether Tralee is big enough to keep the two of them busy, but hey, Aldi are going to have two stores here so i guess anything is possible!
    As said above, Mj's is streets ahead of any of these big chains, and I could never understand why RM didnt steer in the same direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

kn wrote: »
    .. I find Burger King to be a cut above MickeyD's in my experience.
    I agree but the BK in Killarney is very poor in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I agree but the BK in Killarney is very poor in my opinion.

Have to agree, stopped in Killarney for a bit and got some BK. Having never eaten BK in Killarney, I expected the standard you would get in Limerick or Cork... I was horribly disappointed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement