Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Much prefer BK too. Way more choices and tastier even though it's pricier. However, McDs have complete dominance of the kids market with the Happy Meal. I've never met a kid that picked BK over McDonald's & that will dictate where families go.

If Tralee didn't have Hillbillys, I'd say yes to KFC moving there but think we have the fried chicken market covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

ongarboy wrote: »
    However, McDs have complete dominance of the kids market with the Happy Meal. I've never met a kid that picked BK over McDonald's & that will dictate where families go.

Which is the point i was trying to (badly) make!
    McD's has that market sown up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Aldi coming on nicely.

They have done a great job there, opening on Thursday I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Cant wait! :D

• Advertisement

They are indeed.
    The people stocking the store are from Killarney, the people actually working there will be going in on Wednesday.
    Going to be fun on Thursday for a while I'd say .

They are indeed.
    The people stocking the store are from Killarney, the people actually working there will be going in on Wednesday.
    Going to be fun on Thursday for a while I'd say .

Shouldnt be too bad though, one thing I notice in both Aldi and Lidl is that their scanning is very efficient, unlike other shops, nothing ever seems to fail to scan.

Shouldnt be too bad though, one thing I notice in both Aldi and Lidl is that their scanning is very efficient, unlike other shops, nothing ever seems to fail to scan.

One thing you may not have noticed is the plu codes for buns & rolls etc.
    Lidl have the items beside the till to help the operator. Aldi don't, you have to knoe them off by heart before you can sit at a till.
    Aldi 1 - Lidl 0
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

You have to really on the ball with the Tesco self service scan. Has anyone else noticed how bad it is at scanning sometimes. I often have earphones in listening to something and am afraid of failing to scan something by mistake and getting lifted as a shoplifter in error. Sometimes you have to put some items through 3 or 4 times before you hear the beep. I'm pretty sure that they will have security with a camera and a computer telling them whats scanning and if you fail to scan something by accident they might come to feel your collar outside the door. I do not relish trying to explain that I thought it scanned.

kn wrote: »
    You have to really on the ball with the Tesco self service scan. Has anyone else noticed how bad it is at scanning sometimes. I often have earphones in listening to something and am afraid of failing to scan something by mistake and getting lifted as a shoplifter in error. Sometimes you have to put some items through 3 or 4 times before you hear the beep. I'm pretty sure that they will have security with a camera and a computer telling them whats scanning and if you fail to scan something by accident they might come to feel your collar outside the door. I do not relish trying to explain that I thought it scanned.

Best stay away from the brie & the fine wine Anthony! :)

• Advertisement

Best stay away from the brie & the fine wine Anthony! :)

Drat. You've unmasked me!! :)

Aldi coming on nicely.

I know that the staff in Dunnes Horan Centre are worried about their impact. A lot of staff are probably on these 15 hour contracts etc may have their hours cut to the bone. Overall I think its great having it so close to the Town centre. They are virtually hiding themselves out in Rathass. For me its going to be a case of buying certain items that are really good value. Their fruit and veg is generally very good.

Their John Wayne toilet paper isn't up to much though!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I noticed in the local papers this week that former staff at Tesco/HWilliams (Horan Centre) had a 30th reunion recently. It seems it opened as Tescos in 83 but when Tescos exited the Irish market in 86 they sold to rival supermarket HWilliams but they went broke in a matter of months.

I noticed in the local papers this week that former staff at Tesco/HWilliams (Horan Centre) had a 30th reunion recently. It seems it opened as Tescos in 83 but when Tescos exited the Irish market in 86 they sold to rival supermarket HWilliams but they went broke in a matter of months.
    1983 sounds about right! Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember! I thought it was so modern and exciting when we first visited it as kids. It was the first time we'd come across automatic sliding doors - very futuristic! There was a whole range of other shops there at that time too & not just a supermarket like now. I seem to remember my mom thinking the original Tesco being more expensive then Dunnes so we didn't go there often.

Yes that Tesco had a whole range of unfamiliar brands like epicure (tinned stuff), typhoo tea and red peppers!. They were also dearer than Dunnes or Quinsworth. I remember Donie Rooney had a mens clothes shop and there were a number of other units florists and newsagents and the like. I remember the sliding doors and the royal blue/yellow decor all very exotic and futuristic at the time!

Indeed, and Tesco back them had a real discount store feel to it. Stock left on the floor, or up on huge shelves that nobody could ever reach, just maximize space & fill it up with anything & everything, reminded me of McCanns cash & carry.....Christ I'm old!

Indeed, and Tesco back them had a real discount store feel to it. Stock left on the floor, or up on huge shelves that nobody could ever reach, just maximize space & fill it up with anything & everything, reminded me of McCanns cash & carry.....Christ I'm old!

If you can remember McCann's you should be preserved in a glass case and put on display in the Ashe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Ah that's mean! I remember McCanns too, it's not long ago, is it? :)

McCanns had a supermarket/deli in the front and a cash & carry to the rear on courthouse lane. The shop faced onto Ashe St and Castle St.

Cliffords up the street on Castle street was another supermarket.

Liptons on the mall was managed by Ml Hennebry until he opened his own grocery on Ashe St in 1965 which morphed into a sports shop in the early 70's.

• Advertisement

McCanns had a supermarket/deli in the front and a cash & carry to the rear on courthouse lane. The shop faced onto Ashe St and Castle St.

Cliffords up the street on Castle street was another supermarket.

Liptons on the mall was managed by Ml Hennebry until he opened his own grocery on Ashe St in 1965 which morphed into a sports shop in the early 70's.

I vaguely remember McCann's as a very young fella so I am guessing it was still in-situ around the mid-70's?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

McCanns! I could not remember for the life of me what that was called. For me the big one as a child was Woolworths, where Penneys is now. Is this the retro thread? :)

groovie wrote: »
    McCanns! I could not remember for the life of me what that was called. For me the big one as a child was Woolworths, where Penneys is now. Is this the retro thread? :)

We do tend to have a periodical bout of nostalgia on here. At least it beats throwing virtual brickbats at one another. When it gets to the stage when people tell you they walked to school in their bare feet then you just know its gone too far! :)

On Woolworths, yeah, to a young fella it was a virtual aladdin's cave. A rather chaotic place if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Yes that Tesco had a whole range of unfamiliar brands like epicure (tinned stuff), typhoo tea and red peppers!. They were also dearer than Dunnes or Quinsworth. I remember Donie Rooney had a mens clothes shop and there were a number of other units florists and newsagents and the like. I remember the sliding doors and the royal blue/yellow decor all very exotic and futuristic at the time!

My mother told me that as a kid I was fascinated by the sliding doors and also one Xmas I ran away form Santa there :D

Amazing the things you do as a toddler still come back to haunt you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

kn wrote: »
    I vaguely remember McCann's as a very young fella so I am guessing it was still in-situ around the mid-70's?
    I remember the cash & carry there in the mid eighties

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Isn't there a hape of sites there the last few years sitting unsold??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Isn't there a hape of sites there the last few years sitting unsold??

There's a half built estate near the beginning of the new by-pass road. Is that the one they're referring to or was this development going to be on a green field site? Sorry, don't know the names of a lot of townlands in Tralee.

Saw on Sunday independent yesterday that Kerry had lowest vacancy rate of all counties in Ireland for commercial buildings/offices etc. That surely is a good sign of a recovering local economy. The fully occupied Mall in Tralee is evidence of this. Also, luckily Kerry didn't go crazy with granting oversupply of developments like other places. I think towns like Carlow and Drogheda built 2 or 3 Manor West type developments which now lie half empty as they simply were not sustainable in either good or bad times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 brenmcp

Hey everyone,

I hope it’s ok to post this here.

I am getting married this December 29thin Ballygarry house in Tralee. I’m from Leitrim and my finance is Dutch isthere are people travelling from all over and staying in various hotels B &B’s round the town.

I need a bit of local advice. We want tonominate a pub in the town for us all to meet the night before the wedding, I needsomewhere where people can casually drop in and there would be a good chance of them getting a seat as some ofthe guests are no spring chickens. Thereare 150 coming to the wedding and the majority of them will be in Tralee thenight before the wedding and we need a congregation point. A quiet local kindof a pub would probably be the best as they wound be as busy as somewhere likeSean Og’s ( the only one I know) .I’d be happy to chat to the pub and reservean areas, finger food that sort of thing. It’s the Saturday night the 28ththat we are talking about so it’s that lull after stephens night and before newYears?

Any advice locals?

Thanks in advance

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement