Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Worth looking in to the Meadowlands Hotel or perhaps Stokers Lodge for something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Adiboo wrote: »
    Worth looking in to the Meadowlands Hotel or perhaps Stokers Lodge for something like that.

I'd agree with these two choices and maybe also the Imperial hotel, The Central (formerly Abbeygate) or the B Bar in the Brandon Hotel, all of which are very central in the town and have spacious bar areas that never get too packed. All the regular bars in town might just be a little too small and crowded(esp on the Sat night of Christmas week) if you are expecting 50 or more friends to congregate. Definitely call ahead to organise reservation as I'm sure any publican would be delighted to accommodate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

We had a get together in the Abbey recently after our wedding. We reserved the old part of it, it was perfect. They did great finger food, we had the area to ourselves as most people stay up in the new bit and when they did see there was a party on they left us to it anyway. We had the pool table, lovely quiet seating areas for people to chat without loud music. All the locals at the wedding said they would never have thought of the Abbey for it but thought it was the perfect choice. People can also pop to Sean Og's if they want a bit of trad/Irish pub/music, we had a few hopping back and forth between the two. Ours was on a busy weekend night and we still had no problem with having plenty of space in the pub but with the atmosphere from the busy other part coming through too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

We had a get together in the Abbey recently after our wedding. We reserved the old part of it, it was perfect. They did great finger food, we had the area to ourselves as most people stay up in the new bit and when they did see there was a party on they left us to it anyway. We had the pool table, lovely quiet seating areas for people to chat without loud music. All the locals at the wedding said they would never have thought of the Abbey for it but thought it was the perfect choice. People can also pop to Sean Og's if they want a bit of trad/Irish pub/music, we had a few hopping back and forth between the two. Ours was on a busy weekend night and we still had no problem with having plenty of space in the pub but with the atmosphere from the busy other part coming through too.

Congratulations on your recent wedding:)

O'Donnells of Mounthawk worth considering. No issues looking for parking.:)

Alternatively if you wish to stay in Town Centre, try Bailys Corner.

Talk to David O'Donnell or Garry O'Donnell , I am sure they will look after you.

• Advertisement

O'Donnells of Mounthawk worth considering. No issues looking for parking.:)

Alternatively if you wish to stay in Town Centre, try Bailys Corner.

Talk to David O'Donnell or Garry O'Donnell , I am sure they will look after you.

I would've liked Baily's too but it's very small to be shoe horning a party in on a weekend night, definitely not guaranteed to get seats in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

O Donnell's or Stokers Lodge gets my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

brenmcp wrote: »

Hey everyone,

I hope it’s ok to post this here.

I am getting married this December 29thin Ballygarry house in Tralee. I’m from Leitrim and my finance is Dutch isthere are people travelling from all over and staying in various hotels B &B’s round the town.

I need a bit of local advice. We want tonominate a pub in the town for us all to meet the night before the wedding, I needsomewhere where people can casually drop in and there would be a good chance of them getting a seat as some ofthe guests are no spring chickens. Thereare 150 coming to the wedding and the majority of them will be in Tralee thenight before the wedding and we need a congregation point. A quiet local kindof a pub would probably be the best as they wound be as busy as somewhere likeSean Og’s ( the only one I know) .I’d be happy to chat to the pub and reservean areas, finger food that sort of thing. It’s the Saturday night the 28ththat we are talking about so it’s that lull after stephens night and before newYears?

Any advice locals?

Thanks in advance

First of all everywhere is going to be busy that night. But one placed mentioned already is Stokers Lodge - its central, great seating and easy going for older people, plus they have an added area that you could call up and reserve. Its literally 30 seconds from the railway station so very central. Pictures from parties/functions held there appear in the local papers most weeks so they will cater for a big group in a reserved area.

Failing that the Abbeygate/Tralee Central Hotel is another option along the same lines. It has a massive bar and unlikely to be that busy on that night. Maybe some of your guests are staying at that hotel so it might be an even better option if that is the case.

Some of the other options by posters are really not suitable for your criteria. Bailey's is relatively small and will be very busy on that night and O'Donnells is up at the top of Caherslee so a taxi drive for everyone and will have a local crowd on the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

As your getting married in the ballygarry you could try gallys. Very spacious and within close proximity to ballygarry. It's good to keep it simple as possible when there is a lot of people from out of town around.

kn wrote: »
    First of all everywhere is going to be busy that night. But one placed mentioned already is Stokers Lodge - its central, great seating and easy going for older people, plus they have an added area that you could call up and reserve. Its literally 30 seconds from the railway station so very central. Pictures from parties/functions held there appear in the local papers most weeks so they will cater for a big group in a reserved area.

Failing that the Abbeygate/Tralee Central Hotel is another option along the same lines. It has a massive bar and unlikely to be that busy on that night. Maybe some of your guests are staying at that hotel so it might be an even better option if that is the case.

Some of the other options by posters are really not suitable for your criteria. Bailey's is relatively small and will be very busy on that night and O'Donnells is up at the top of Caherslee so a taxi drive for everyone and will have a local crowd on the night.

The Tralee Central Hotel.....................

'No excuse for food safety negligence' | Irish Examiner
    www.irishexaminer.com/.../aposno-excuse-for-food-safety-negligenceapos-...
    Oct 9, 2013 - As the authority yesterday confirmed the serving of closure orders, by the HSE, on seven ... Tralee Central Hotel on Main St in the Kerry town;

Don't think so;)

Bar is large and usually empty!

Stokers definitely the better option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 brenmcp

great help everyone, sorry about the state of my post, i copied it from outlook and not sure why it ran some of the words together.
    I am in Tralee in a couple of weeks for the weekend so I will check out some places that you suggested then.

Only 7 weeks, very excited:P

Thanks again

great help everyone, sorry about the state of my post, i copied it from outlook and not sure why it ran some of the words together.
    I am in Tralee in a couple of weeks for the weekend so I will check out some places that you suggested then.

Thanks again

Have a great Day! Best wishes to you both!:)

Thanks again

Drop us a post after your visit about what you thought of the various places you checked out and why the one you chose was the winner.

Best of Luck.

Thanks again

We await our invites :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Can't really add anymore, Bailys & O'Donnells, Gally's, The Meadowlands & the Stokers Lodge must be the main players. Perhaps The Sportsfield bar too, always a warm welcome, Derry on the accordion serenading all the beautiful women & some fine finger food prepared by the lady of the house. Find it hard to beat that!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Radio5 wrote: »
    There's a half built estate near the beginning of the new by-pass road.
    Its called Hunters Wood and the townland is called Camp.

Actually just one other point about The Abbey. It's a late bar, so is quieter before 12am than other pubs, leaving plenty of time and space to chat in there before crowds arrive, unlike normal closing pubs.

Thanks again

Still plenty of time to change your mind!:D

Can't really add anymore, Bailys & O'Donnells, Gally's, The Meadowlands & the Stokers Lodge must be the main players. Perhaps The Sportsfield bar too, always a warm welcome, Derry on the accordion serenading all the beautiful women & some fine finger food prepared by the lady of the house. Find it hard to beat that!

http://www.odonnellsbarrestaurant.ie/

I was in O'Donnells this pm. I still strongly recommend giving this venue serious consideration.
    They can cater for private groups.
    I was speaking with Julie their interior designer, the lovely interior is undergoing a facelift at the moment and the tasteful Christmas decorations will be in place in about a week and a half.
    They are a mere 15 / 20 mins walk from Town Centre.
    I think it would be a nice venue for a mixed age group. They also have a nice clientele.
    Contact David O'Donnell whom I am certain will do his utmost to look after you and your guests.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

You must be walking fast and definitely not in heels!

I live closer to the town than O'Donnells and would be walking fast to make it down to centre of town in 20 mins. It is a lovely place but does require driving to in my opinion.

• Advertisement

phormium wrote: »
    You must be walking fast and definitely not in heels!

I live closer to the town than O'Donnells and would be walking fast to make it down to centre of town in 20 mins. It is a lovely place but does require driving to in my opinion.

Exactly what I was thinking. If I was staying in the town centre in late December not a hope would I walk that far up that road in the dark for a drink or two. Guests would either need to drive, get a lift, taxi or bus to there, you couldn't be expecting them to walk it, especially if they are foreign and don't know the area.

Exactly what I was thinking. If I was staying in the town centre in late December not a hope would I walk that far up that road in the dark for a drink or two. Guests would either need to drive, get a lift, taxi or bus to there, you couldn't be expecting them to walk it, especially if they are foreign and don't know the area.

Be no shortage of Taxi's or Mini Buses in Tralee anyway :)

Be no shortage of Taxi's or Mini Buses in Tralee anyway :)

Or fellas in high heels too if Joe 1980's post is anything to go by! ;)

Or fellas in high heels too if Joe 1980's post is anything to go by! ;)

Are you referring to me/my post?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

did anyone go to the town meeting tonight organised by Tralee Chamber Alliance in the Brandon?

Story in tomorrow's Examiner about the Aqua Dome having a listing for the Job Bridge (free slave labour) scheme for a 'cleaning intern'!!!

If you don't have at least a Masters Degree your not qualified!!! :)

Are you referring to me/my post?

Yes, I was.
    I understand that even though the user name is male, the owner isn't......but that kinda ruins the joke, sorry

kn wrote: »
    Story in tomorrow's Examiner about the Aqua Dome having a listing for the Job Bridge (free slave labour) scheme for a 'cleaning intern'!!!

If you don't have at least a Masters Degree your not qualified!!! :)

Being quite honest, somebody with a masters degree probably isn't! qualified to do a proper cleaning job.

Yes, I was.
    I understand that even though the user name is male, the owner isn't......but that kinda ruins the joke, sorry

:confused:

I thought seosamh was a girl ?

• Advertisement

I thought seosamh was a girl ?

seosamh is a girl, well, this one is anyway :) I think the other poster knows that too, that was the joke, it was the bit saying Joe and not seosamh that confused me, I thought maybe I was being big headed thinking I was being talked about when maybe I wasn't :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement