Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kingdomlad

Went into town with the other half earlier. Great buzz around the place. Lets hope it keeps up over the holiday season. Only downside was we went into Costa Coffee to check it out, and got a bit of a shock when we were charged €11.70 for 2 medium cappuccinos and 2 scones. €6.70 for the 2 cappuccinos and €5.00 for the 2 scones. Dont think we'll be going back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

kingdomlad wrote: »
    Went into town with the other half earlier. Great buzz around the place. Lets hope it keeps up over the holiday season. Only downside was we went into Costa Coffee to check it out, and got a bit of a shock when we were charged €11.70 for 2 medium cappuccinos and 2 scones. €6.70 for the 2 cappuccinos and €5.00 for the 2 scones. Dont think we'll be going back.

Wow ! That is quite pricey. I understand they have to pay high rent, staff, etc. but that sounds more like City prices.:confused:

Just by contrast, I paid €4,40 for a latte and a cappuccino in O'Donnells in Mounthawk yesterday, which I thought were excellent value.

As a coffee junky I have always considered Costa to be cost a lot!;)

Just out of interest, were Costa busy?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Wow ! That is quite pricey. I understand they have to pay high rent, staff, etc. but that sounds more like City prices.:confused:

Just by contrast, I paid €4,40 for a latte and a cappuccino in O'Donnells in Mounthawk yesterday, which I thought were excellent value.

It seems to be busy all the time, and it opens until about 7pm and I think later Fridays. I have been going there a good bit for coffee, they do fairly big sizes, their mugs of coffee are like soup bowels!
    I know its a bit pricier than other places, but I like their coffee. They do loyalty cards too, and I've already availed of a couple of free coffees from building up points! Not everyone is going to like their coffee, nor is everyone going to want to pay certain prices, its just the way it goes really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

The scones in there are extremely expensive as are most of the cakes and buns, best value if you must have something with your coffee are the 2 pack of biscuits, can't remember exactly how much but mustn't have been too bad if I bought them :)

A coffee and a scone practically anywhere in town is around €4, less in some places so Costa is well above average.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I paid €4,40 for a latte and a cappuccino in O'Donnells in Mounthawk yesterday, which I thought were excellent value.

I like O'Donnels and most things about it but their coffee is all ways vile (weak and tasteless)! I pointed it out to Gary and his staff but it doesnt improve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Yeah, went into town this evening, haven't seen it as busy or looking so well in years. It's great to see. 2 very good lattes and a slice of cake cost €7.70 in the roast house which is great value imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Not even a player, just wanna begin :D Cullotys have one for €150, Id like to get a new one but I might find a lower price

€150 not too bad. Buy a tuner with it if you are a beginner. Keeping it in tune will make you want to play it more as it will sound better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

good to hear town was busy today! I stayed at home all day...cleaning! hopefully town stays busy now for the run up to Christmas!
    When are the Christmas lights due to be switched on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    good to hear town was busy today! I stayed at home all day...cleaning! hopefully town stays busy now for the run up to Christmas!

And another question who is switching them on?

Listowel have got Dublin footballer Bernard Brogan doing the honours,

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kingdomlad

There were only 2 other people in there apart from ourselves, but it was just after 10.30 this morning. The foreign girl inside the counter offered me the loyalty card, but i said id leave it off as i probably wont be back.

• Advertisement

it is usually the current Rose of Tralee who switches them on I think

There were only 2 other people in there apart from ourselves, but it was just after 10.30 this morning. The foreign girl inside the counter offered me the loyalty card, but i said id leave it off as i probably wont be back.

Guess they won't have too many people taking up the offer of a loyalty card , at those prices.

I think someone needs to look at their prices again. To be fair I would expect more people to be in drinking coffee at 10.30 am. ;)

it is usually the current Rose of Tralee who switches them on I think

Ciarrai,

I thought as our Rose of Tralee Boards, you were going to do the honours this year?;)

Very nice.........Are there no footballers in Kerry anymore?:confused:

It seems to be busy all the time, and it opens until about 7pm and I think later Fridays. I have been going there a good bit for coffee, they do fairly big sizes, their mugs of coffee are like soup bowels!
    I know its a bit pricier than other places, but I like their coffee. They do loyalty cards too, and I've already availed of a couple of free coffees from building up points! Not everyone is going to like their coffee, nor is everyone going to want to pay certain prices, its just the way it goes really!

You must be the best customer having availed of a couple of free cups on your loyalty card already. At those prices I think you have already paid for your free coffees;) As a coffee junky Costa Coffee is only average, imho. I much prefer the coffee in the Gluten Free Cafe:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Guess they won't have too many people taking up the offer of a loyalty card , at those prices.

I think someone needs to look at their prices again. To be fair I would expect more people to be in drinking coffee at 10.30 am. ;)

I'd imagine their pricing is done nationally i.e. also reflecting Dublin cost base of rent/rates etc and not just Tralee. Plus, don't worry the cost of the 'free' loyalty points cups of coffee are also built into the cost of the cups you will have been buying all along. Add those together and you have the principal reason why they are much more pricey than the local outlets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

kn wrote: »
    I'd imagine their pricing is done nationally i.e. also reflecting Dublin cost base of rent/rates etc and not just Tralee. Plus, don't worry the cost of the 'free' loyalty points cups of coffee are also built into the cost of the cups you will have been buying all along. Add those together and you have the principal reason why they are much more pricey than the local outlets.

Just as an FYI. At the height of the boom, rental rates in Tralee were more expensive than stores in Dublin1 per sq foot.

The rent on the Tralee outlet is c . €70 K. PA ;)

Need to sell a lot of coffee...................:rolleyes:

No such thing as a free coffee!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Not even a player, just wanna begin :D Cullotys have one for €150, Id like to get a new one but I might find a lower price

For your first guitar, you probably don't need to pay more than you have to. You'll get one cheaper if you shop around, always found Cullotys a bit on the pricey side myself. Their TVs are crazy expensive.

• Advertisement

I see they are putting the lights up around town this morning.

Plus I was in Supervalu this morning (they have a 1/2 price round roast on sale today) and there was only a small few people milling around. I went up to Aldi and there was a real good crowd inside there with the checkouts kept going. The Mitchell's Aldi is doing really well. I was only getting a couple of items but the one in front of me had a bill of €95 so that was her main shop of the week I'd imagine whereas I would only use Aldi for a certain range of items. I can highly recommend their 700g Salmon Wellington in a prawn and white wine sauce - 10/10 and only €4.99 I think! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Noticed a couple of new bookies shops in town yesterday on Castle St upper and lower.

Has anyone used the video store up the Rock near Casements Avenue? Is it any good?

Noticed a couple of new bookies shops in town yesterday on Castle St upper and lower.
    New? Which one's?

Has anyone used the video store up the Rock near Casements Avenue? Is it any good?

Don't think there is any new bookies there was one of the chains across from Sweeneys quikpick & it was taken over by a guy from castleisland. But no more to my knowledge.
    Quite a few hairdressers going up in town, 1 in the mall, 1 in castle st & maybe 2. (not sure if the other is a hairdressers or selling hair care products)

Paddy power got a facelift.

Don't think there is any new bookies there was one of the chains across from Sweeneys quikpick & it was taken over by a guy from castleisland. But no more to my knowledge.
    Quite a few hairdressers going up in town, 1 in the mall, 1 in castle st & maybe 2. (not sure if the other is a hairdressers or selling hair care products)

yeah, a hairdressers opened in the old pharmacy on the corner of Bridge Street and another up near the butchers in Castle Street. This town seems to have a lot of hairdressers and beauty salons!

yeah, a hairdressers opened in the old pharmacy on the corner of Bridge Street and another up near the butchers in Castle Street. This town seems to have a lot of hairdressers and beauty salons!

Of course, Tralee is the home of beautiful Roses, who need constant pampering:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I see they are putting the lights up around town this morning.

Plus I was in Supervalu this morning (they have a 1/2 price round roast on sale today) and there was only a small few people milling around. I went up to Aldi and there was a real good crowd inside there with the checkouts kept going. The Mitchell's Aldi is doing really well. I was only getting a couple of items but the one in front of me had a bill of €95 so that was her main shop of the week I'd imagine whereas I would only use Aldi for a certain range of items. I can highly recommend their 700g Salmon Wellington in a prawn and white wine sauce - 10/10 and only €4.99 I think! :)

A lot of people are now using Aldi for their main weekly shop rather than just for a few top up items which was the case before. My sister in law says she saves 50 euro a week since she moved from Dunnes to Aldi. The ads on TV really promote those savings and have successfully added an Irishness stamp to their brand whereas before Aldi seemed very foreign and unfamiliar. A lot of their products have won taste and food awards too. I've started shopping more at Aldi too. Somehow Lidl is not as appealing. I only ever go in there if I see something specific in their brochures like tools or running gear that I want.

Circus performers putting on a show in town today

• Advertisement

I dunno how Aldi win taste awards, a lot of their stuff is still a poor copy of others.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement