Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Did anyone notice that Santa's sleigh was sponsored by the shopping in Killarney brigade?

Yup the horse and "sleigh" were from the Killarney jarvey association from what I could make out on the back advertisement. I'd imagine they were hired in for the hour or so. The big man himself and his good lady wife looked way better on the horse and cart than they ever did on a normal float. The staff had some class Christmas in Killarney hoodies too.

Just two suggestions which I think night have added to the experience.
    (1). CLEAR those god forsaken taxis from the Mall. I cannot understand WHY they can't be ranked in the outskirts.
    (2) might have had little or no effect but they should have switched the lights on for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I ran the guantlet of beggars charity collectors today, all the way from Garveys down to Castle street. I gave a few quid to the egg chasing club but honestly, how much fundraising does the hanley centre or the irish lung foundation actually need. Same dodgy looking heads collecting every weekend

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I ran the guantlet of beggars charity collectors today, all the way from Garveys down to Castle street. I gave a few quid to the egg chasing club but honestly, how much fundraising does the hanley centre or the irish lung foundation actually need. Same dodgy looking heads collecting every weekend

I'm not sure about the Irish lung foundation, but I know for sure that the Hanley centre PAY the collectors, and there is commission too for the team leaders! My sister worked for them briefly in Cork and left due to the way they 'fundraise'! I for one hate those collectors, especially the ones from Amnesty & Concern!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

I remember applying to the Tralee superintendents office for a flag day years ago for a local group. The terms are very strict and the waiting list for a slot was madness. Surprising that they have so many at once. There should be some restrictions put in place by the supers office.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Clab mor wrote: »
    I remember applying to the Tralee superintendents office for a flag day years ago for a local group. The terms are very strict and the waiting list for a slot was madness. Surprising that they have so many at once. There should be some restrictions put in place by the supers office.

my Mom was saying the same to me recently. She tried to get a permit for bag packing & said it was no easy. Amazes me how many they allow on the street collecting, seems like its daily sometimes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

Going through Garveys is becoming ridiculous with all the different collections.
    Car Park - Cash register - Front Door (2 different collections - one local and the other who knows)
    The rule for collections in town should only be for local clubs etc. Are the boyos with the red bibs and little table even legit?

It is getting to the stage that I will give not anything to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Heres a few interesting facts re charity collectors at Edward St P.O. One travels from his Galway home by bus eireann to collect in Tralee. Another similarily from Athlone They collect quite legally using permits issued in Dublin which can be used nationally However im hesitant to give any of my hard earned cash !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Is the video store on Rock St (Casements Ave) any good?

Is the video store on Rock St (Casements Ave) any good?

I haven't used it in many years, but I was talking to someone who started using it when they moved up to that area and they thought it was good. Nice to see its been there so many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Is there anywhere in Tralee that does knife sharpening, basically I have professional knifes from a previous job but haven't used them in years except to cut brambles and gorse bushes from outside our house. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Is there anywhere in Tralee that does knife sharpening, basically I have professional knifes from a previous job but haven't used them in years except to cut brambles and gorse bushes from outside our house. :)

Benners Hardware ?

I think Utensils in Castle street do it

Heres a few interesting facts re charity collectors at Edward St P.O. One travels from his Galway home by bus eireann to collect in Tralee. Another similarily from Athlone They collect quite legally using permits issued in Dublin which can be used nationally However im hesitant to give any of my hard earned cash !!!

Sadly it is a sign of the economic times in which we live.

I accept the "professional " charity collectors have become extremely aggressive in their approach.

There are so many local charities which need our support, yet with the best will in the world people cannot support them all.

Best advice is to give whatever you can afford to your preferred charity,and then politely when asked , one can say that your preferred charity have already received your donation.

Most of all remember charity begins at home.

Sincerely,
    delthedriver

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Benners definitely sharpen things, I got scissors sharpened recently and have previously brought in the lawn mower blade and hedge clippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

That junction down by the bons looks like one of those play sets you get in a toy shop. Your barely out of one junction when your straight on top of another. The lads doing the driving test will love it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sean62

Hi, Sean here from the Aquadome. We don't have a direct debit facility for memberships however if you would like to come down and see me here in the Aqua Dome we will be able to come to some arangement to suit your requirements. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your custom. Sean (Duty Manager)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

adam88 wrote: »
    That junction down by the bons looks like one of those play sets you get in a toy shop. Your barely out of one junction when your straight on top of another. The lads doing the driving test will love it

That 'roundabout' is a joke, I though it was only temporary, sadly it appears not.

adam88 wrote: »

...........or in a joke shop. How much did it cost.?

Encountered it today first time, I could not believe my eyes, speed ramps with pedestrian crossings , yield signs and a replacement roundabout the diameter of a large table! One can only presume it was designed by someone who does not drive a motor vehicle of any description.

Perhaps someone in the Council could explain this logic ??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

hi, first time poster, just like to say i love the tralee tread as it keeps me up to date with what is going on in tralee till i get back there for the christmas holdiay in two weeks. hope it all looking well for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Clab mor wrote: »

I think that permits are now dealt with by a central office in Dublin now, not by the local supers office. The Super in Killarney made some comments to that effect recently as far as I know.

In the light of recent revelations, I 'd be slow to give to any national charity now.

• Advertisement

Drove through the revised layout again this evening. In addition to all the new features, there are a number of posts erected for the installation of traffic or pedestrian lights. Interesting.................has to be a first, never witnessed any layout like this before.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

That 'roundabout' is a joke, I though it was only temporary, sadly it appears not.

As much as I agree with you it is better than what it was.

On a side note are we the only county/country with pedestrianised speed bumps??.

On a side note are we the only county/country with pedestrianised speed bumps??.

Pedestrianised speed bumps have to be a first! Never have I come across anything like this new set up.:confused:

hi, first time poster, just like to say i love the tralee tread as it keeps me up to date with what is going on in tralee till i get back there for the christmas holdiay in two weeks. hope it all looking well for christmas

Welcome!
    Fantastic! Yes, Tralee is looking great for Christmas. Santa arrived in Town last Saturday. Perhaps you may be lucky and find a white Christmas . The weather over the last few days has been unseasonably mild, sunshine and 12 degrees! Fabulous!
    Don't forget the Christmas Day swim in Fenit ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

There has been a pedestrianised speed bump only up the road from that junction for years. I agree though, it's a mess at the junction. Don't know if this is the solution but we'll have to wait and see.

stuba wrote: »
    There has been a pedestrianised speed bump only up the road from that junction for years. I agree though, it's a mess at the junction. Don't know if this is the solution but we'll have to wait and see.

Sorry not aware that one already exists. Agree time will tell whether the new layout is a success or not. It can only be better than the previous arrangement.
    If nothing else it will certainly force drivers to think as they progress through the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Sorry not aware that one already exists. Agree time will tell whether the new layout is a success or not. It can only be better than the previous arrangement.
    If nothing else it will certainly force drivers to think as they progress through the junction.

Outside the tax office in Spa Road there is one. I agree, the only sense I can see in it, is that you have to slow down as you approach the junction. Which will be a change in itself, cars seem to fly through the junction previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Its miles better than it was. The slip road should help somewhat anyway. They seriously need to consider more one way systems there. At least its easier for pedestrians.

If you were crossing on foot before, you'd have to edge out in front of the illegally parked van with the hazards on at the laundrettes, then watch left for anyone coming down Matt Talbot road with no indicator on, the cross your fingers there is no hero doing 50 coming around that blind bend on chapel street

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It's morons not using the small roundabout properly that I have an issue with.

• Advertisement

It's morons not using the small roundabout properly that I have an issue with.

Yes, I have always been fascinated watching motorists driving over the roundabout.;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement