Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Yes, I have always been fascinated watching motorists driving over the roundabout.;)

Is the stop sign gone on the strand rd side?
    The new layout is a lot better for pedestrians considering there has been at least one fatal accident at the location.
    Is red van man still parking in the junction?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

I was complaining a few days ago about the Aquadome prices but they are on grab one now

http://www.grabone.ie/kerry/aqua-dome-tralee-52

Get the new year off to a good start! Family ticket €21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Is the stop sign gone on the strand rd side?

No stop sign is still there but there is a yield sign on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Anyone know if Tralee Bay oysters contain pearls ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

kingdumb wrote: »
    Anyone know if Tralee Bay oysters contain pearls ?

They can indeed, a pearl is a foreign object that gets into the oyster & it's just layers formed around the grit that produces a pearl.
    Unfortunately, it's only certain oysters that produce the pearls that are worth money & the ones here ain't those I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

A

Ah, any idea what their 'worthless' pearls look like ?
    They can indeed, a pearl is a foreign object that gets into the oyster & it's just layers formed around the grit that produces a pearl.
    Unfortunately, it's only certain oysters that produce the pearls that are worth money & the ones here ain't those I'm afraid.

Tralee ship canal in boat shocker...

Ah, any idea what their 'worthless' pearls look like ?

I suppose like any other pearl to the untrained eye. I remember someone telling me the "real" pearls have a certain iridescent quality that you can only get from particular oysters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Don't know why the canal is not used more often. Would really add to the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think I read somewhere a while back that planning permission was submitted for a permanent boathouse structure at the Marina. Maybe once that is built, it will allow increased activity there.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Minor car crash with two cars damaged, no one hurt, on the top of rock street roundabout this morning.
    Think its was a case of not using their indicators properly on the roundabout, could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

It's morons not using the small roundabout properly that I have an issue with.

An amazing experience this am.

Had travelled slowly along Matt Talbot Road towards the junction, planning to cross onto roundabout and onwards towards Chapel Street.

Near miss! A Council truck coming from High Street travelled on the wrong side of the roundabout, having already failed to yield, and then turned down Matt Talbot Road.

My immediate thought was....what an ass! Then I wondered if Council employees, driving Council vehicles cannot master the new system, what chance has the average motorist?

How long will it be before the first accident at this new junction. Today was a close shave, only that I am a competent and courteous driver , there would have been a couple of casualties.

Perhaps someone in the Council could explain the logic of the new layout?
    This is the second time I have raised the question on Boards! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

An amazing experience this am.

Had travelled slowly along Matt Talbot Road towards the junction, planning to cross onto roundabout and onwards towards Chapel Street.

Near miss! A Council truck coming from High Street travelled on the wrong side of the roundabout, having already failed to yield, and then turned down Matt Talbot Road.

My immediate thought was....what an ass! Then I wondered if Council employees, driving Council vehicles cannot master the new system, what chance has the average motorist?

How long will it be before the first accident at this new junction. Today was a close shave, only that I am a competent and courteous driver , there would have been a couple of casualties.

Perhaps someone in the Council could explain the logic of the new layout?
    This is the second time I have raised the question on Boards! :(

I think the council were kicked off boards!?

ETA: They were banned
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056961918

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Well today seems to be a day for minor crashes!

A lady motorist had her car door mangled opening it onto the road outside Oaklands shop in Oakpark. Now I know she should have looked first but that road is narrow when cars park on both sides.

No sign of the vehicle that hit her, must have kept going..even though she was in the wrong??

Maybe the vehicle was off the road :-) like so many others

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Is that not Dels boat? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 krutt

adam88 wrote: »
    Don't know why the canal is not used more often. Would really add to the area
    Canal can only be accessed at high tides due to the silt deposits in the bay. And then of course you need the lock gates to be opened. To be fair the rowing club make great use of the facility and intend to build a purpose built boat storage facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Is that not Dels boat? :)

Na that's away too small

This is Dels,spotted it back in Fenit :D

61576-bigthumbnail.jpg

Yep! That's his dingy, it transports passengers onto his actual! yacht anchored just outside national waters so he doesn't have to pay taxes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Yep! That's his dingy, it transports passengers onto his actual! yacht anchored just outside national waters so he doesn't have to pay taxes :)

;)

• Advertisement

Hence his location,

That's the name of the boat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

Not surprised about Oaklands - the space is very narrow at the best of times. The same can be said about parking outside Barry's shop in Rock Street.
    As for roundabouts and indicators - so such thing as indicators and correct lane disciple.
    To be fair the roundabout by Barrys is lethal - surprised there are not more accidents there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

On the roads/roundabout topic, there is going to be somebody seriously hurt coming into manor some day. Twice in recent weeks I have almost been smashed into by people coming from Manor and heading straight across the road (in front of Treat) heading towards Soundstore/the old road.
    Now to be fair if you weren't used to the road I could see how it would happen - the road markings are non-existent there and I don't think there's any road sign. I'm not sure is it the council or the management company who would be responsible for this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

murphy05 wrote: »
    Not surprised about Oaklands - the space is very narrow at the best of times. The same can be said about parking outside Barry's shop in Rock Street.
    As for roundabouts and indicators - so such thing as indicators and correct lane disciple.
    To be fair the roundabout by Barrys is lethal - surprised there are not more accidents there.

I vaguely remember double yellow lines being painted outside Barrys years ago to prevent the bottleneck there but I believe they were painted over to make them invisible!! It caused controversy at the time as you can imagine so the council gave up!

What annoys me just as much as no indication on roundabouts is indicating incorrectly which can also lead to crashes. I have to wait until someone turns to exit a roundabout before I enter as you can never be certain (as proved countless times) whether they'll remain on the roundabout even though their left (exiting) indicator is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

People that stop at roundabouts when there is clearly nothing coming drives me nuts.
    And while on the subject, 35/40mph drivers at night, braking at onoming traffic is the biggest hate of all! They should not be on the road if they can't handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

And while on the subject, 35/40mph drivers at night, braking at onoming traffic is the biggest hate of all!

I know what you mean :mad:, do you reckon they scream/shreak a little when seeing the oncoming cars prior to tapping the break?????.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I think the Father Ted music would be a great backing to this vid if it were long enough.....

It is pretty cool looking at the changes over the years from the footage taken here to now. :)

I think the Father Ted music would be a great backing to this vid if it were long enough.....

It is pretty cool looking at the changes over the years from the footage taken here to now. :)

That snapshot there for some reason reminds me of the start of Glenroe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I know what you mean :mad:, do you reckon they scream/shreak a little when seeing the oncoming cars prior to tapping the break?????.

Listowel Road in the evenings. It would break your heart. 20 cars accordioned into each other travelling at 35 miles per hour behind some numpty who's breaking hard at every oncoming set of headlights.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Listowel Road in the evenings. It would break your heart. 20 cars accordioned into each other travelling at 35 miles per hour behind some numpty who's breaking hard at every oncoming set of headlights.

Its usually that delivery driver from the cash and carry, with the big Gala sign on the side!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement