Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Its usually that delivery driver from the cash and carry, with the big Gala sign on the side!

Hopefully there were no injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Listowel Road in the evenings. It would break your heart. 20 cars accordioned into each other travelling at 35 miles per hour behind some numpty who's breaking hard at every oncoming set of headlights.

Yep, it's wreckless out there. Would drive you off your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Yep, it's wreckless out there. Would drive you off your head.

Terrrible........

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Might be a good time for the town to invest in a dredger, as it happens Waterways Ireland are offloading a few which will probably be gotten for a song.
    krutt wrote: »
    Canal can only be accessed at high tides due to the silt deposits in the bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

kingdumb wrote: »
    Might be a good time for the town to invest in a dredger, as it happens Waterways Ireland are offloading a few which will probably be gotten for a song.

Would Waterways Ireland have charge of the canal? Actually, does the canal have a name?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

Its usually that delivery driver from the cash and carry, with the big Gala sign on the side!

The security guard from Sam McCauleys is just as bad on the Abbeydorney road.
    At least i now have the Ardfert route home clear enough since they took that old woman who was the most dangerous driver in Ireland off the road after she was getting away with driving on top of the ditch at less than 20 mph for years :O

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

I don't think she was as old as you might think, it may have been a disability that made her seem that way! I would also doubt whether she was the most dangerous driver in Ireland, liable to make other drivers impatient and take risks maybe is more like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 expatin africa

was she the one in the small black car with two L plates on the back, if she was she was terrible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

phormium wrote: »
    I don't think she was as old as you might think, it may have been a disability that made her seem that way! I would also doubt whether she was the most dangerous driver in Ireland, liable to make other drivers impatient and take risks maybe is more like it.

Maybe you are correct re age and disability but that doesn't change the fact that her driving increased the chances of accidents on the road.
    Again maybe she had a necessity to drive for some reason i am not aware of but again that doesn't mean she was safe.Yes you are correct re others drivers impatience and risks but she was the common denominator anytime that happened.

I drive all over Ireland for a living and see more terrible driving than most and it would be my opinion that she is the worst i have ever encountered on a constant basis.Agreed i have seen worse one off cases on the road but dangerous driving is dangerous driving whatever the excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

kaiser31 wrote: »
    Would Waterways Ireland have charge of the canal? Actually, does the canal have a name?

No Waterways ireland is for the inland navigation on rivers, lakes and canals.

Growing up in Tralee we called it the Ship Canal or the The Basin (town end).

• Advertisement

It's morons not using the small roundabout properly that I have an issue with.

This morning I approached the junction from Chapel Street.

I stopped and yielded to an oncoming car approaching from High Street.

To my amazement the driver simply drove on the wrong side of the roundabout and continued down Matt Talbot Road to the Pembroke Street Junction.

The car was a <vehicle of no specific make or model ;) >* !:rolleyes:

" If things don't change they stay the same" ;)

To be fair the roundabout is barely visible, a simple solution may be to install a large concrete pipe and fill it with shrubs. At least it would create an awareness of a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

On the subject of Tralee traffic does anyone agree with my thoughts on same
    (1)close centre of road with barrier(like new motorways)from KCC roundabout to Clashleahane roundabout
    This would ensure that all traffic exiting on to this road could only turn left-return via roundabout
    Reason-too many exits and entrances on this short stretch of road-most wrongly used-to assist traffic flow
    Only break in barrier to be pedestrian crossing
    (2)Similar left only one way system between between Clash roundabout and John J Sheehy/Boherbee roundabout
    Also too many exit/entrances on this road
    (3)Remove traffic lights and construct new roundabout at Edward St/NCR/Oakpark Rd junction
    (4)Make Edward St/Lr Castle St/Ashe St one way
    (5)Erect traffic lights with traffic recognition at Fairies Cross
    (6)Erect similar traffic lights at Basin Rd /James St junction
    (7)New roundabout instead of lights at Balloonagh Cross
    Rant over-your thoughts please

On the subject of Tralee traffic does anyone agree with my thoughts on same
    (1)close centre of road with barrier(like new motorways)from KCC roundabout to Clashleahane roundabout
    This would ensure that all traffic exiting on to this road could only turn left-return via roundabout
    Reason-too many exits and entrances on this short stretch of road-most wrongly used-to assist traffic flow
    Only break in barrier to be pedestrian crossing
    (2)Similar left only one way system between between Clash roundabout and John J Sheehy/Boherbee roundabout
    Also too many exit/entrances on this road
    (3)Remove traffic lights and construct new roundabout at Edward St/NCR/Oakpark Rd junction
    (4)Make Edward St/Lr Castle St/Ashe St one way
    (5)Erect traffic lights with traffic recognition at Fairies Cross
    (6)Erect similar traffic lights at Basin Rd /James St junction
    (7)New roundabout instead of lights at Balloonagh Cross
    Rant over-your thoughts please

I think you have some very valid points there:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Is it fair to name and shame specific individuals, their occupation, car reg etc for every perceived slight we come across on our daily business on a public domain website like this? I'm not doubting anyone's encounters and how unpleasant they were to those posting about them but as Tralee is a small enough town, it's easy to identify people from the descriptions being posted here (maybe that's your intention but I don't think it's fair if they can't defend themselves back). Fair enough having a go at institutions or businesses that are offering a public service/offering that is below standard or if such businesses are committing unacceptable behaviour but singling out private individuals (or clues to their identity) is a bit unfair and potentially risky.

Just my opinion....:)

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is it fair to name and shame specific individuals, their occupation, car reg etc for every perceived slight we come across on our daily business on a public domain website like this? I'm not doubting anyone's encounters and how unpleasant they were to those posting about them but as Tralee is a small enough town, it's easy to identify people from the descriptions being posted here (maybe that's your intention but I don't think it's fair if they can't defend themselves back). Fair enough having a go at institutions or businesses that are offering a public service/offering that is below standard or if such businesses are committing unacceptable behaviour but singling out private individuals (or clues to their identity) is a bit unfair and potentially risky.

Fair point. It was never my intention to single out anyone. Perhaps a better option would be to hand over their details to The Gardai?

The junction/ roundabout has been the scene of a fatal accident in the past. I would not like to witness a further accident.!!

Just my opinion too:)

Perhaps Carchaeologist could comment please?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

was she the one in the small black car with two L plates on the back, if she was she was terrible

I had to reverse the car for her one day. She used to terrorise Denny st

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

ongarboy wrote: »

I have to agree here. Posting registration numbers isn't on. Fair enough if they are moronic in the road, but it's taking it a bit far to do that.
    (Even if we always mention the cash n carry delivery driver, but he's an exception to the rule I think...)

How about "red van man" who continues to park dangerously at the strand rd mini roundabout?

Is it Strand road or strand street?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Ahhhhhhh I love when road related issues come up here!!!

Today on the Killarney road from abbeyfeale I watched a car overtake a van towing a car (who had pulled into the hardshoulder to allow space) I then watched the car overtaking the van being both over taken by a pleb in a Kashkai or something along those lines.

So you had at one point 3 cars across the road with oncoming cars approaching.

It was almost synchronised to watch, the man/woman could not have waited 30 seconds.

My second gripe is why would you put such a small length of dual carriageway going from the new roundabout after lidl to the first roundabout on the new bypass. People crawl in the fast lane then if they are turning toward the new mitchells pitch!. I don't think some people have grasped the concept of dual carriageways!. At least now driving instructors can hopefully show learners what to do on these roads.

• Advertisement

I have to agree here. Posting registration numbers isn't on. Fair enough if they are moronic in the road, but it's taking it a bit far to do that.
    (Even if we always mention the cash n carry delivery driver, but he's an exception to the rule I think...)

I'm cool either way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kerrys eye

I had lunch the other day in the Grand Hotel .Just chowder and chips , no trimmings like tea or dessert.The bill was 9.75.The chowder which was average quality was 6 euro while the very small portion of chips was 3.75.Included in the meal was 2 small slices of brown bread cut with a fine laser .I thought this was poor value. Its one of my favourite meals so i was dissapointed.Can anyone suggest the best chowder around.The best i have had in kerry is Ballyroe Hotel closely followed by Adams pub in Dingle.Spillanes in Maharees do a decent job as well.I Am talking about a good creamy bowl of chunky fish as opposed to the sad watery excuse that some establishments pass off as 'chowder'.Any thoughts???????

kerrys eye wrote: »
    I had lunch the other day in the Grand Hotel .Just chowder and chips , no trimmings like tea or dessert.The bill was 9.75.The chowder which was average quality was 6 euro while the very small portion of chips was 3.75.Included in the meal was 2 small slices of brown bread cut with a fine laser .I thought this was poor value. Its one of my favourite meals so i was dissapointed.Can anyone suggest the best chowder around.The best i have had in kerry is Ballyroe Hotel closely followed by Adams pub in Dingle.Spillanes in Maharees do a decent job as well.I Am talking about a good creamy bowl of chunky fish as opposed to the sad watery excuse that some establishments pass off as 'chowder'.Any thoughts???????

Spa Seafoods, best chowder in Kerry!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kerrys eye

Oh yeah have been there very nice indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

“It's chow-dah! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you!”

How about "red van man" who continues to park dangerously at the strand rd mini roundabout?

To be fair I have never seen red van man:confused:

Did anyone attend the above event in Ballyroe Hotel Ballroom this evening?

It was organised by St. Patrick's GAA Club in Blennerville.

I understand it featured many well known business people from town who danced to raise money for Charity.

Some of the personnel involved included the lovely Aine Collins of Aines Cafe and Bistro in the Square, Liam Poff of Poff Motors, Kieran O'Shea of Texaco Gala, Blennerville......to name a few.

With 500 tickets sold the ballroom was packed to capacity!

Feedback so far is that the event has been an absolute success.

Well done to all involved:D

Is it Strand road or strand street?

I grew up in Strand Street but the general area (including O'Rahillys Vls, Rae St, Caherina Cottages, Walshe's Tce etc) is referred to as Strand Road. ( at least that's how I understand it...!)

It's like Rock Street and The Rock.

... length of dual carriageway going from the new roundabout after lidl to the first roundabout on the new bypass. People crawl in the fast lane then if they are turning toward the new mitchells pitch!. I don't think some people have grasped the concept of dual carriageways!.

Yes! And its a lot worse for traffic heading west at the same location. It appears to me that the majority of cars hog the fast lane doing about 60km/h for the entire lenght between the roundabouts! Im hoping this will improve in time as people get to understand.

• Advertisement

My second gripe is why would you put such a small length of dual carriageway going from the new roundabout after lidl to the first roundabout on the new bypass. People crawl in the fast lane then if they are turning toward the new mitchells pitch!. I don't think some people have grasped the concept of dual carriageways!. At least now driving instructors can hopefully show learners what to do on these roads.

Yeah, I think with so many roundabouts intersecting the dual carriageway, you're going to have drivers staying in the right lane the whole way along (or else far too soon). They should have "Stay in Left Lane unless overtaking" signs and then when approaching roundabouts "Enter correct lane for exiting". I see these in other countries but not much in Ireland (Naas Road is terrible for congested fast and/or hogging the middle lane and motorists ignoring the deserted slow lane).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement