Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Controversial subject I know but there are far too many disabled spaces in this town and not enough loading bay spaces.
    It's impossible to park a van for deliveries or work yet there's always loads of free disabled spaces.
    Opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

To be fair I have never seen red van man:confused:

Any weekday between 5 and 6 pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

Controversial subject I know but there are far too many disabled spaces in this town and not enough loading bay spaces.
    It's impossible to park a van for deliveries or work yet there's always loads of free disabled spaces.
    Opinion?
    Not. Touching. This. With. A. Bargepole.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Opinion?

Its the ignorant pr**ks who use the disabled spaces & have clearly no disk or nothing wrong with them who pi*s me off! I asked someone once why he was parked in a disabled space, & I was threatened by him! unreal the ignorance!

Walking thru Boherbee/Castle st tonight I noticed 2 things, the Whitehouse bar has reopened & Milanos takeaway has shut down.
    "The lord giveth, and the lord taketh away" ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Walking thru Boherbee/Castle st tonight I noticed 2 things, the Whitehouse bar has reopened & Milanos takeaway has shut down.
    "The lord giveth, and the lord taketh away" ;)

not surprised Milano's is closed, again! They are so quiet anytime I pass and the food had gone downhill. Interesting that the bar has gone back to the old name of the Whitehouse. Is it a relation of the owner Seanie who has gone in there to run it?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    not surprised Milano's is closed, again! They are so quiet anytime I pass and the food had gone downhill. Interesting that the bar has gone back to the old name of the Whitehouse. Is it a relation of the owner Seanie who has gone in there to run it?

I don't know, it's possible, think a dj who last played there 15 years ago was asked to reopen it with a nostalgia gig?
    Hope it works out for all concerned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Did anyone attend the above event in Ballyroe Hotel Ballroom this evening?

It was organised by St. Patrick's GAA Club in Blennerville.

I understand it featured many well known business people from town who danced to raise money for Charity.

Some of the personnel involved included the lovely Aine Collins of Aines Cafe and Bistro in the Square, Liam Poff of Poff Motors, Kieran O'Shea of Texaco Gala, Blennerville......to name a few.

With 500 tickets sold the ballroom was packed to capacity!

Feedback so far is that the event has been an absolute success.

Well done to all involved:D

Dont know anyone that took part but theres one fine young fella l know to see around the town :P if only l entered....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kerrys eye

There should be no such disabled parking space.Maybe a discounted parking fee to offset medical spaces.Fed up seeing brassnecks throwing their blue badge on the dash and walking away grinning especially across from penneys.As usual there are a few social welfare spongecakes milking the system.Would prefer to see bicycles and motorcycle bays in the Mall which as far as i know are not catered for in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kerrys eye

Sorry typo there meant medical expenses

• Advertisement

kerrys eye wrote: »
    There should be no such disabled parking space.Maybe a discounted parking fee to offset medical spaces.Fed up seeing brassnecks throwing their blue badge on the dash and walking away grinning especially across from penneys.As usual there are a few social welfare spongecakes milking the system.Would prefer to see bicycles and motorcycle bays in the Mall which as far as i know are not catered for in the town

That's a bit extreme. I have no issue with disabled spaces, they serve a very important purpose. But if you are not a van driver you will more than likely not pay any attention to it, say if you take Denny st as an example, there's at least four disabled bays up the top and a set down area outside the grand. Far more than there is commercial bays. There's another small commercial bay further down the street on the right, big enough for just the one van.
    I only run a small van, but it must be hell to be a truck driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

not surprised Milano's is closed, again! They are so quiet anytime I pass and the food had gone downhill.

What is with that place? It can't seem to stay open much more than 3 months at a time! They had a lovely fish and chips offer for a fiver or so a year back and I went in regularly for it. Then the last time I went in there they clearly had changed their 'cod' to an inferior species and I did not go back. It closed not long after that. Never went in there in its last reincarnation so cannot comment on the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

People that stop at roundabouts when there is clearly nothing coming drives me nuts.
    And while on the subject, 35/40mph drivers at night, braking at onoming traffic is the biggest hate of all! They should not be on the road if they can't handle it.
    What about one way streets?
    Drove into Garveys recently via Dennys which is one way only into the Car Park. A driver decided that they would exit the car park contra flow. She had a child in the car and looked at me as if it was my fault for been in the way. Needless to say I was not impressed and let her know.
    Who actually enforces proper traffic regulations in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

murphy05 wrote: »
    Drove into Garveys recently via Dennys which is one way only into the Car Park. A driver decided that they would exit the car park contra flow. She had a child in the car and looked at me as if it was my fault for been in the way. Needless to say I was not impressed and let her know.

From personal experiences recently, No one!

It is like the Wild Wesht!

Driving Kerry Shtyle!;)

What exactly is the point of the free parking in town this month?
    It just makes morons drive around and around the town looking for a space, the abbey car park is a classic example.
    I'll always pay into Maine st regardless, it's just so much easier!:D

there are far too many really really bad drivers in this town (and county!). I really can't understand how most of them pass a test! I was failed for a tiny little minor thing on my first attempt!! I think my aunt told me once that many years ago, there was some sort of backlog with driving test lists and they literally gave out licence's....not sure if its true or an urban legend...but it would make a lot of sense considering how bad people drive in this town!

Plus, one other thing, could people please check the lights on their cars are actually working!?? The amount of idiots that drive around with defective lights is beyond a joke! I had a guy driving behind me up Manor area this eve, and only one headlight working, and that was on full beam...as if to compensate for only having one working! These 'one eyed monsters' are pure ignorant. I know you can have a bulb blow at any time and not realise, but I would say half these people do know and are too bloody lazy to get it fixed!
    Oh and can people stop putting on their front FOG lights with their regular headlights...there is no need for it unless it is FOGGY!! (the hint is in the name...FOG LIGHTS!). Its so blinding when driving and having some eegit driving towards me with so many lights on....its either not enough or too many LOL :P

OK rant over LOL

It just makes morons drive around and around the town looking for a space, the abbey car park is a classic example.

I know someone who didn't even notice the sign on the parking meter or know there was free parking this month after 1pm and still paid for parking!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Anyone know of any possible Urban Exploration locations around tralee? I've heard that the old Goblin factory in clash is popular.

there are far too many really really bad drivers in this town (and county!). I really can't understand how most of them pass a test! I was failed for a tiny little minor thing on my first attempt!! I think my aunt told me once that many years ago, there was some sort of backlog with driving test lists and they literally gave out licence's....not sure if its true or an urban legend...but it would make a lot of sense considering how bad people drive in this town!

Plus, one other thing, could people please check the lights on their cars are actually working!?? The amount of idiots that drive around with defective lights is beyond a joke! I had a guy driving behind me up Manor area this eve, and only one headlight working, and that was on full beam...as if to compensate for only having one working! These 'one eyed monsters' are pure ignorant. I know you can have a bulb blow at any time and not realise, but I would say half these people do know and are too bloody lazy to get it fixed!
    Oh and can people stop putting on their front FOG lights with their regular headlights...there is no need for it unless it is FOGGY!! (the hint is in the name...FOG LIGHTS!). Its so blinding when driving and having some eegit driving towards me with so many lights on....its either not enough or too many LOL :P

OK rant over LOL

Not a rant at all. Simply very valid points which I agree with you on 100%:)

It is a shame, whomever is supposed to police these issues don't. Sadly it is these minor annoyances which can lead to fatal accidents.

Brandon car park has lots of free spaces every afternoon:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

To be fair, whilst they were resurfacing the car park in recent weeks, they changed the flow of traffic there, making it the only exit only from the car park. They changed the signage for it (temp signage) so perhaps they haven't changed the signs or maybe she likes to live dangerously! During the first few days of the works I exited the car park via Denny's lane & I met an oncoming car who hurled abuse at me for driving the wrong way. When I pointed out the signage for the change of traffic direction I got the middle finger and more abuse. Feckin' men drivers... and he had two kids in the car.

Are all the Christmas Presents purchased yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Not an urban legend at all! It was 1980 when there was such a backlog for tests and due to govt financial trouble not being able to fund extra testers , they decided that anyone who wanted a drivers licence got it without having to sit the test. It sounds crazy doesn't it but I'm sure it won a few votes at the time. The EU belatedly intervened and issued a directive preventing this from ever happening again(thankfully).

I have an aunt who never sat behind a wheel and she has a full drivers licence which she renews every 10 years (just in case...!). There are a lot of dreadful drivers around that fit into that age group that would have benefited from that amnesty. In fairness, most young people seem to be fairly ok at driving from what I see and they are more conscious of safety (apart from some boy racers).

Just picking up on Ciarrai's point about the license amnesty, yep, it happened in the early 80's & Gerry Ryan was one of the beneficiarys.....driving whilst off your tits on drugs eh? Makes you look at examples of bad driving & go hmmm!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭geewhizz

John Healy from the refrigeration crowd has taken it oner

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

geewhizz wrote: »
    John Healy from the refrigeration crowd has taken it oner

Brave person opening a pub these days in a declining industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Just heard an ad on Newstalk earlier something that I never heard before. It was the Bons advertising for Consultant General Surgeons - first time I ever heard those type of posts advertised on the wireless, they must be desperate. Anyhow its the claims contained in the ad that I had issue with. It claimed that this is an opportunity to work in one of the top 5 hospitals in Ireland! Is there any objective criteria or ranking that backs this statement up?? It also went on to claim that this is an opportunity to work in one of the most popular areas in the world. Note not Ireland - 'the world'!!!!!!! And that the facilities available in Town were basically second to none.

I reckon the Advertising Standards crowd could have a field day with that ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

kn wrote: »
    Just heard an ad on Newstalk earlier something that I never heard before. It was the Bons advertising for Consultant General Surgeons - first time I ever heard those type of posts advertised on the wireless, they must be desperate. Anyhow its the claims contained in the ad that I had issue with. It claimed that this is an opportunity to work in one of the top 5 hospitals in Ireland! Is there any objective criteria or ranking that backs this statement up?? It also went on to claim that this is an opportunity to work in one of the most popular areas in the world. Note not Ireland - 'the world'!!!!!!! And that the facilities available in Town were basically second to none.

Let me google that for you.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/kerryman/lifestyle/bons-in-irelands-top-five-hospitals-29127457.html

kn wrote: »

" Lies, damn lies and statistics" !:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Congratulations to the Bons Tralee for being shortlisted for the Irish Healthcare Centre Awards!

Winner
    The Mater Misericordiae University Hospital

Finalists
    Galway University Hospitals
    St Luke’s General Hospital – Kilkenny
    South Tipperary General Hospital
    Bon Secours Hospital – Tralee

Not many Towns the size of Tralee have a private hospital of the calibre of the Bons. In addition to providing healthcare to the South West it is also a major employer in the town. It is a non profit making concern and ploughs many thousands of euros back into local community charities.

In order to attract top quality staff and consultants the hospital must compete in a global market place and must emphasise all the positive aspects of living and working in Kerry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement