Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Are you working today/tonight Ciarrai?

I was working for a bit, the hubby is still there, must go pick him up soon!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Sorry, that's 2 days worth of brussels sprouts, anyone got any Andrews liver salts?

You must have had seconds on the sprouts, the roof is nearly lifting up here, and I can't be blamed for all of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

beertons wrote: »
    You must have had seconds on the sprouts, the roof is nearly lifting up here, and I can't be blamed for all of it.

I've just had stewed turkey & sprouts, prepare for Hurricane Howard to strike at any minute!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I was working for a bit, the hubby is still there, must go pick him up soon!

That's the nature of retail, but it's still bloody awful being at work when everyone else is tucked up cosy at home. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Planes being diverted from Cork to Shannon.
    Quite a few flights cancelled too it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Planes being diverted from Cork to Shannon.
    Quite a few flights cancelled too it seems.

would not like to be on a plane!! The car was shaking when I drove into town to pick up my husband! :eek:
    there is serious howling coming down the chimney from the wind!

would not like to be on a plane!! The car was shaking when I drove into town to pick up my husband! :eek:

Santa would be fcked tonight! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Santa would be fcked tonight! ;)

With all the 'news reports' and even the Defence Forces air traffic control putting out a UFO report PR release on Santa's progress I wonder what would be the Garda reaction to a 'news report' about Santa been pulled in for drink driving on Christmas Eve on the News? Now that would be interesting.........children protesting at the local Garda station maybe......I'd love to see it......:D

If this gets any worse me and the house are going to be joining Dorothy in Oz......:eek:

Killarney getting it bad.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/met-eireann-warns-of-potential-damage-as-it-issues-red-alert-status-29866853.html

Publicans must be bulling. Probably the 2nd biggest night of the year and everyone put off from going to be the pub by amber and red alerts etc. I stayed in for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

A roof tile just plopped right beside my car as I looked out the window, nearly had a heart attack!.

Bloody lucky, but my bins are getting a battering though, all i can see is my recycling wizzin around outside!.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

You wouldn't even put the mother-in-law out there tonight, it's that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was out and about last night in town,nearly got swept away a few times but survived,some crowd at the taxi rank trying to get lifts home,not a taxi to be seen,hard to blame them i suppose.

Was out and about last night in town,nearly got swept away a few times but survived,some crowd at the taxi rank trying to get lifts home,not a taxi to be seen,hard to blame them i suppose.

Was there many in the pubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

kn wrote: »

With the way the weather was I thought it was busy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Some cladding blew off the front of the Next building in Manor. Boyles are repairing now. The McDonalds arch is blown to bits! Lots of trees and branches down everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Some cladding blew off the front of the Next building in Manor. Boyles are repairing now. The McDonalds arch is blown to bits! Lots of trees and branches down everywhere.

Walk over North circular road and then down Ashe street, beyond me how someone was not skulled by a tile, I'd say every Third building or house had debris outside it.

As I said last night a tile flew off the roof in ours nearly hitting my car, and of course no estate agents open to contact them to repair it :mad:. The neighbour two doors up lost a tile and the house below me her oil tank toppled along with the concrete plinths, thankfully no oil leaking that I can smell but if that leaks into the soil it will pretty much kill anything around, and depending on how much oil was spilled the EPA need to be contacted. Kerosen is nasty shhtuff.

And I also am now the proud owner of what appears to be a kids paddling pool.....:confused:. I still slept like a log despite it all :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Is there much damage around the Oakpark area? I'm up North for the holidays, dreading to see what state it's in when I get down home Saturday night.

Adiboo wrote: »
    Is there much damage around the Oakpark area? I'm up North for the holidays, dreading to see what state it's in when I get down home Saturday night.

Not too bad I don't think. There is some sort of old street light (never noticed it before) which is knocked over between Spar & the entrance to that small estate on the same side of the road but on the way out of town (can't think of name).
    I was convinced our side gate/fence was going to get it, but it has metal posts, so that kept it from going, although its a bit out of shape!
    The big trampoline in garden next to us is in a mangled heap at the end of their garden (and probably will stay that way knowing them & their landlord!). I barely slept a wink, it was nerve shattering!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

I'm down lower Oakpark way near the Complex, so hopefully all down that way is grand!

• Advertisement

I heard that the Aqua Dome has had a lot of damage & is closed. Apparently the very top of the dome...sort of spire bit, is completely gone and there's a gaping hole over the pool so they can't open! I don't know when they will reopen. Not good news for them!

I heard that the Aqua Dome has had a lot of damage & is closed. Apparently the very top of the dome...sort of spire bit, is completely gone and there's a gaping hole over the pool so they can't open! I don't know when they will reopen. Not good news for them!

Yep, check the Tralee chamber alliance facebook page, it's open to the elements & only a crane can do the repair work, could be 3 weeks before a repair can be done

Oh dear. As if they arent finding it tough enough already.

Oh dear. As if they arent finding it tough enough already.
    It was in the Kerry's Eye a couple of weeks ago that it was only by the grace and favour of the bank that they were still open. The likely repair bill could be what will prompt the bank to call a halt to it.

The damage I saw as I was going to Aldi/Dunnes this morning was part of the hoarding around the waste ground in front of Austin Stacks Park had blown down, one of the gates on the John Joe Sheehy road side of Buy Lo had been taken clean off its hinges and was on top of a bollard and the metal fence on the unused part of John Mitchells has blown over.

It was in the Kerry's Eye a couple of weeks ago that it was only by the grace and favour of the bank that they were still open. The likely repair bill could be what will prompt the bank to call a halt to it.
    I saw this too, and from driving past in recent times I saw very few cars parked outside during the week.
    It would be a real pity to park up the Aquadome. What else could be done with the building. Very little as it was entirely purpose built.

we spotted a sort of canape lying on the steps of the Bank of Ireland, I looked closer at it to see it was from the beauty salon 'Face Facts', which is situated above Kennelly's chemist....and that was up high over their windows!! mad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Bailys was absolutely wedged by 10pm, Blasket was busy too.
    we spotted a sort of canape lying on the steps of the Bank of Ireland, I looked closer at it to see it was from the beauty salon 'Face Facts', which is situated above Kennelly's chemist....and that was up high over their windows!! mad!!

You'd have good vision to spot one of them outside the bank :D

Tree down by the school at Rahoonane, and a tree totally uprooted in the semi circle of grass outside the houses at the T junction with Oakpark just after. All the roots are lying exposed, just ripped out of the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Adiboo wrote: »
    I'm down lower Oakpark way near the Complex, so hopefully all down that way is grand!

Not all unfortunately:
    http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/tralee-primary-school-storm-damage/

• Advertisement

Bailys was absolutely wedged by 10pm, Blasket was busy too.

You'd have good vision to spot one of them outside the bank :D

Tree down by the school at Rahoonane, and a tree totally uprooted in the semi circle of grass outside the houses at the T junction with Oakpark just after. All the roots are lying exposed, just ripped out of the ground.

spelling is wrong....canopy!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement