Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I am guessing that this Richard O'Brien is 'our friend' from Tralee who appeares in the Kerry's Eye on a regular basis - and not in the sporting pages.............

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/highly-aggressive-man-threatened-to-bomb-hostel-that-refused-him-254207.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Big congrats to Tralee's very own Bryan Cooper on been appointed Gigginstown's new number one jockey,he made me a nice few quid last year during Cheltenham and now with this news this years Cheltenham will be very interesting.

Free flights on Ryanair for him now as well :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

kn wrote: »
    I am guessing that this Richard O'Brien is 'our friend' from Tralee who appeares in the Kerry's Eye on a regular basis - and not in the sporting pages.............

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/highly-aggressive-man-threatened-to-bomb-hostel-that-refused-him-254207.html

Yep.

He can afford to be a alcoholic, but your and mine taxes will go to pay he's legal aid. Which I'm assuming is monthly thing with this guy.

Very interesting article on just how much money these leeches are costing us on legal aid in this weeks Kerry's eye.

The defense barrister in Kerry is the highest earning in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Yep.

He can afford to be a alcoholic, but your and mine taxes will go to pay he's legal aid. Which I'm assuming is monthly thing with this guy.

Very interesting article on just how much money these leeches are costing us on legal aid in this weeks Kerry's eye.

Barristers need to live also!:)

They should not be getting legal aid after the have been convicted once!

Look at the barrister in the Kerry's eye this week. He's making millions defending sc**bags with lists of previous as long as your arm. I don't pay my taxes to defend these people over and over again!

If he's so fond of them let him do it pro bono!

You should not be getting rich off other peoples misery!

• Advertisement

Them yachts aren't cheap! As you know yourself. And for barristers the auld yacht is a virtual basic living need.......

kn wrote: »
    Them yachts aren't cheap! As you know yourself. And for barristers the auld yacht is a virtual basic living need.......

Indeed just like air and water:)

They should not be getting legal aid after the have been convicted once!

Look at the barrister in the Kerry's eye this week. He's making millions defending sc**bags with lists of previous as long as your arm. I don't pay my taxes to defend these people over and over again!

If he's so fond of them let him do it pro bono!

You should not be getting rich off other peoples misery!

Respectfully the learned gentleman is simply doing a job. Everyone has a basic human right to a fair trial.

As for who pays the fees, that is not the barristers concern.

I don't believe it is a case of being fond of anyone. It is a job and someone has to do it.

Someone has to pay the fees, in circumstances where the defendant qualifies for Legal Aid, it is ultimately the taxpayer as you put it.

That is the way things operate in our civilised society.

Respectfully the learned gentleman is simply doing a job. Everyone has a basic human right to a fair trial.

As for who pays the fees, that is not the barristers concern.

I don't believe it is a case of being fond of anyone. It is a job and someone has to do it.

Someone has to pay the fees, in circumstances where the defendant qualifies for Legal Aid, it is ultimately the taxpayer as you put it.

That is the way things operate in our civilised society.

What's civilised about taxpayers having to pay legal costs for some scumbag with a list of previous convictions as long as your arm, whose only job they seem to have is robbing and terrifying innocent people?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Yep.

these guys are total and utter leaches on society! All they use for their 'defence' is they have had a 'hard life' or have a drink problem! There are plenty of people who have drink problems or have had a hard life, who don't act like these pr**ks & rack up conviction after conviction! There are certain people in this town going around acting the pr**k with 143 convictions!!??? They drive business owners & staff insane! I don't get paid enough to have to put up with that sh!te!
    And then to think there are people in jail for not paying a tv licence! :mad:

• Advertisement

What's civilised about taxpayers having to pay legal costs for some scumbag with a list of previous convictions as long as your arm, whose only job they seem to have is robbing and terrifying innocent people?

What is the realistic alternative?

I am a taxpayer too!:)

What is the realistic alternative?

I am a taxpayer too!:)

After there first conviction, let the criminls pay for there own legal fees!

Its scandalous that we cant build a new children's Hosp but these parasites get everything paid for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

After there first conviction, let the criminls pay for there own legal fees!

Its scandalous that we cant build a new children's Hosp but these parasites get everything paid for them.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you that we should not be paying for it, they can not afford it, and throwing them in jail solves nothing either and costs more in the long run.

We have a revolving door legal system for serial offenders and that will never change. By right they should all be thrown on to a small Island and be let roam free like wild animals.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    these guys are total and utter leaches on society! All they use for their 'defence' is they have had a 'hard life' or have a drink problem! There are plenty of people who have drink problems or have had a hard life, who don't act like these pr**ks & rack up conviction after conviction! There are certain people in this town going around acting the pr**k with 143 convictions!!??? They drive business owners & staff insane! I don't get paid enough to have to put up with that sh!te!
    And then to think there are people in jail for not paying a tv licence! :mad:

Ah Ciarrai you are very harsh.....have you no compassion for the "most vulnerable" in society? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

In Ireland we have some basic rights. Innocent until proven guilty, a legal defence to be provided if you are unable to provide one for yourself & the right to a fair trial.
    These basic rights should not be touched in any way, shape or form.
    Other deterrents must be found, harsher penalties for convictions, increased jail terms, work details, less prison privileges.
    But perhaps we should look to California state law & adopt the "3 strikes" rule, get convicted twice & do your normal sentence, but get convicted a third time & get a 20 year mandatory sentence, with no parole.
    People are either scared straight, or they go to jail for a very long time.

In Ireland we have some basic rights. Innocent until proven guilty, a legal defence to be provided if you are unable to provide one for yourself & the right to a fair trial.
    Other deterrents must be found, harsher penalties for convictions, increased jail terms, work details, less prison privileges.
    But perhaps we should look to California state law & adopt the "3 strikes" rule, get convicted twice & do your normal sentence, but get convicted a third time & get a 20 year mandatory sentence, with no parole.

We don't have the money nor the facility to do it.

And the legal defense is farcical, "He has a drinking problem, but is really really sorry for his actions". "Awww poor fella, don't do it again ok."

An individual who has that many convictions knows better than anyone how this system works and takes full advantage of it. They should not be entitled to it, like Ciarrai said people who struggle to pay for TV licence get worse treatment than them. Disgracefull is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

These people are the reason Tralee has a bad name. They walk around town as if they are untouchable - which they are!

Never have people with so much money get so much free legal aid.

Presumption of innocence is fine in theory but when they are been brought up for their 50th charge then I think presumption of innocence becomes a joke.

These people are the result of all that is wrong in Ireland today, and we will be paying the price for the foreseeable future until someone says stop.

Perhaps I am naïve.

Happy New Year Howard,

Thank you for your contribution

I agree totally. In Ireland we have some basic rights. Innocent until proven guilty, a legal defence to be provided if you are unable to provide one for yourself & the right to a fair trial.

We are neither a third world country nor a dictatorship, indeed we pride ourselves on being a civilised society.

The other issue which appears to be of concern, a Barristers earnings.
    Begrudging someone earning a living defending criminals, "free legal aid "or not is quite frankly piss pot poor performance. To be honest I am not sure which is annoying the OPs here most

Of course legal systems can be reformed, the one in place at present is the only one we have.

Harsher penalties , increased jail terms etc could help bring about the reform
    citizens desire.

Regards

D:)

Del you mention law reform here in Ireland. The trioka had it as part of the bail out package. And what did the Kings Inn clan do to reform?

Nothing.

Why? Because the barristers and solicitors are raking in money here hand over fist and don't want this gravy train to stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Whilst I agree that these lads who are up before the courts 10 20 or 50 times is ridiculous I still like the rights we are granted under this democracy.

As they say if you don't like it move to a system that suits you

• Advertisement

numorouno wrote: »
    Whilst I agree that these lads who are up before the courts 10 20 or 50 times is ridiculous I still like the rights we are granted under this democracy.

As they say if you don't like it move to a system that suits you

So you want the tax paying people to move out and leave the country to the scumbags. Sounds like a plan to me.

Or how about we take all the scumbags, put them in jail to serve real sentences. Not just a few weeks after costing the taxpayer tens of thousands in court costs, just for there free barristers to get them bail!

It really is a crooked country!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

So you want the tax paying people to move out and leave the country to the scumbags. Sounds like a plan to me.

Or how about we take all the scumbags, put them in jail to serve real sentences. Not just a few weeks after costing the taxpayer tens of thousands in court costs, just for there free barristers to get them bail!

It really is a crooked country!

no that's the democracy

if you got into trouble I'd like that the system was fair to you and you got a fair trial and representation if you couldn't afford it

I totally agree that these lads are getting away with blue murder but as with every system there is a minority.

Just my two cents. I don't want to live in a police state nor do I want to live in a hippie commune either. I like this system even with its many faults

Del you mention law reform here in Ireland. The trioka had it as part of the bail out package. And what did the Kings Inn clan do to reform?

Nothing.

Why? Because the barristers and solicitors are raking in money here hand over fist and don't want this gravy train to stop!

Michael,

Gosh. I think we are dealing with too many issues here which respectfully are going off topic in respect of The Tralee Thread.

Discussing an individuals earnings in this thread whether they are an Auctioneer, Barrister, Estate Agent, or Solicitor or indeed anyone's earnings is not fair to anyone involved.

Regarding the Troika bailout, and Kings Inn's may be more suitable for Legal Discussions threads.

Please excuse me, I don't wish to appear to be Modding, just I am concerned that we may be going seriously off topic very early in 2014 !

Can we go back to discussing the good things in Tralee? Please:)

Big congrats to Tralee's very own Bryan Cooper on been appointed Gigginstown's new number one jockey,he made me a nice few quid last year during Cheltenham and now with this news this years Cheltenham will be very interesting.

Free flights on Ryanair for him now as well :D

Congratulations Bryan! Well done!

Tralee is very proud of you.

Looking forward to Cheltenham already.

:)

Naaaaah let's just get it out of our system to have a debate, after all the man in question is from Tralee so......

Democracy is been taken advantage by some scum so they should not be entitled to it. Like Mr Juneau said stiffer punishment is needed to at very least deter them, but the cost is too much, the prisons are over crowded so where are they go?, slap on the wrist and maybe just maybe they might get a month or two with a suspended sentence. Then days, weeks maybe months they re-offend, barrister makes a packet yet again we are back to square one.

How much alone has the above mentioned cost in tax payer money?. To the people that really need legal aid by all means, they need and are entitled to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

While I wholeheartedly agree with you that we should not be paying for it, they can not afford it, and throwing them in jail solves nothing either and costs more in the long run.

We have a revolving door legal system for serial offenders and that will never change. By right they should all be thrown on to a small Island and be let roam free like wild animals.

A 'battle royale' scenario has a nice ring to it.

pookiesboo wrote: »
    A 'battle royale' scenario has a nice ring to it.

Did you watch that the last night on Film4 too?. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Did you watch that the last night on Film4 too?. :)
    was it on last night, would have watched it again!saw it a couple of years back, great film. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Some quality journalism from the Kerryman...

cCal2bZ.png

Hurricane Katrina - $81 billion damage, death-toll of almost 2k
    vs
    Roof blows off a portakabin

Do the have any principals ?

• Advertisement

^ Haha that is brilliant :), absolutely bloody retarded comment but brilliantly stupid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement