Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

I hope the RM workers are reemployed by the new outfit.

Was in town this afternoon and it was deathly quiet. I was the only person in several shops and the streets were deserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I hope the RM workers are reemployed by the new outfit.

Was in town this afternoon and it was deathly quiet. I was the only person in several shops and the streets were deserted.

Noticed that too. The streets were rather eerily quiet and the traffic on the road was really light. All weather related I guess.

I have often wondered what the concrete paved area to the front of the houses in Lohercannon is for. Does anyone know? http://goo.gl/maps/DWQkQ

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I have often wondered what the concrete paved area to the front of the houses in Lohercannon is for. Does anyone know? http://goo.gl/maps/DWQkQ

I'm not sure what it is. But seeing the image made me think Lohercannon must have been quite remote when it was built back when (1950s maybe?) as the town practically ended at Caherina back then. No Knockmoyle, Kerins Park, Cluain Ard or Ashgrove. I wonder why such a relatively remote location was chosen for the estate? Of course now it's part of the extended built up area.

I can remember when there was a row of old cottages with tin roofs across from Knockmoyle which were demolished. Spa Road had some too just up from the Strand Road junction (one even had an ancient looking shop inside it run by an old woman!). All since long demolished and rebuilt with modern housing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Taking a stab in the dark here but just wondering was it a milk collection area one time?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is the road flooded at Blennerville?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Beertons wrote: »

From Blennerville To Lohercannon Was Under 3 Feet Of Water This Morning, Probably Not Much Better now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Boooooooooring!!!
    Lol!

Very pleased with results today. Hopefully Ireland do the business tomorrow:D

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

beertons wrote: »

It's coinciding with the tides so keep an eye on the times. The bend at Hare street was pretty bad this evening and even worse this morning but cleared up as the tide went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭2013LEO

Just want to wish Paul Galvin all the best, thanks to him for all he did for Kerry. Its sad to think we won't see him in the green & gold again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

2013LEO wrote: »
    Just want to wish Paul Galvin all the best, thanks to him for all he did for Kerry. Its sad to think we won't see him in the green & gold again.

Seems a strange decision to retire. He's still as fit as he ever was!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭2013LEO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

2013LEO wrote: »

No chance I'd think, he will still play with Finuge, unless he asks for a transfer to a Dublin club team its a non runner
    At 34 he probably feels he needs a rest, those tight pants can't be good for his hammys :)

Thanks for the suggestions on the paved area in Lohercannon. I hope the people living there were not affected too much by the flooding. Overthe years there was allways an Everready (Battery) truck parked up in front of Hare St. We allways called it Everready Road!

The milk truck theory is plausible and you can see similar examples on the road between Liebherr and Fenit where junctions were widened in this way to accomodate the crane trucks! http://goo.gl/maps/EtvFI

We had friends that lived in the large farm house in Ballyvelly http://goo.gl/maps/nJerD. It was all fields back then and the area was considered way out the country!

I reckon the cottages in Lohercannon were a county council development and so were built outside the town boundary.

Charming!

Where is it?

Where is it?

Boherbee, next door to the Slieve Mish bar

Boherbee, next door to the Slieve Mish bar
    That's just littering. The litter warden needs to shift through that for an a name and address.

Charming!

Outrageous.:mad:

kn wrote: »
    That's just littering. The litter warden needs to shift through that for an a name and address.

They are too clever to let their name address in whats dumped. Typically they will get some junk mail addressed to a neighbour and plant it in the bag.

In effect the litter warden has to witness the dumping before a judge will accept the evidence!

I think cctv has been very effective on Chapel Street where there is an ongoing problem with dumping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

I presume that this was the original road. Ie originally that curve would have been the kerb of the road if you were coming from the lock gates heading to B'ville. This junction was probably converted in to the current T-junction somewhere down the line.

This was likely part of the estate design which is symmetrical in plan and similar to a shuttle-cock, this curve is symmetrical but the current junction is not in relation to the estate.

There is also a subtle religious feature(s?) in the design, anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

kingdumb wrote: »

His wife's people are from Kerry and she & Waits honeymooned in Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Some pictures from Fenit after the recent storm.
    The scattered concrete slabs in the foreground of the first picture are the remains of the walking path along the beach:

292137.jpg

The beach:

292136.jpg

The rocks below have been ripped out of the breakwater and many more are scattered across the car park:

292138.jpg

The road behind the harbour office:

292139.jpg

The new memorial at the foot of the Brendan statue:

292140.jpg

Since there is no major damage to residential houses we may even have been lucky, at least compared to Limerick and all the other places you see in the news...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Quaderno wrote: »
    Some pictures from Fenit after the recent storm.
    The scattered concrete slabs in the foreground of the first picture are the remains of the walking path along the beach:

The beach:

The rocks below have been ripped out of the breakwater and many more are scattered across the car park:

The road behind the harbour office:

The new memorial at the foot of the Brendan statue:

Since there is no major damage to residential houses we may even have been lucky, at least compared to Limerick and all the other places you see in the news...

Wow, its very rare that Tralee Bay gets that sort of a battering. Usually the damage is done on the Maharees peninsula.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Wow, its very rare that Tralee Bay gets that sort of a battering. Usually the damage is done on the Maharees peninsula.

Amazing! Thankfully there were no reports of any injuries:)

The female cyclist from the accident outside Kellihers last week died last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Wow, Fenit is looking worse than it did two weeks ago, and that was already the worst I'd ever seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

Hi, can anyone recommend a seamstress in town. Someone who is able to do alterations on a wedding dress?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

kn wrote: »
    The female cyclist from the accident outside Kellihers last week died last night.

A very sad story, but it looks like her heart may give someone else hope: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/weather-forces-aer-lingus-flight-to-be-used-to-transfer-heart-from-kerry-for-transplant-1.1678411

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement