Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    ah yeah, I used to listen to Atlantic 252, when I could get it to tune in!! Remember 'Dusty Rhodes' :cool::D

Yep, it was for a time the best station available for music, happy memories of trying to get the best reception in my bedroom & hoping the makeshift aerial didn't collapse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Atlantic 252.......longwave baby!

Bang in a tape and press record,pausing for the DJ chat and waiting for a song you would like to come on.

Good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Yep, it was for a time the best station available for music, happy memories of trying to get the best reception in my bedroom & hoping the makeshift aerial didn't collapse :)

Imagine telling your children about these things you had to do to listen to very bad reception music. Compared to the flawless digital music kids can listen to on their phones from any station in the World via the internet. My thing was more trying to listen to the football on BBC with the reception coming and going over the airwaves and fiddling with the dial and aerial for hours upon hours to listen.

They are going to look at us as if we just emerged from the cave with their mother in one hand and a club in the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Bang in a tape and press record,pausing for the DJ chat and waiting for a song you would like to come on.

Nothing worse than a DJ speaking over the start or end of a song. Many's the teeth gnashing over that.

shergar22 wrote: »
    Nothing worse than a DJ speaking over the start or end of a song. Many's the teeth gnashing over that.

Trying to get the 8 minute version of Rock Me Amadeus without a DJ opening his yap was nigh on impossible! Happy times......shìte music taste though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Mom decided to get me my own stereo when I was a teenager and Kielys insisted to my mother that she get one with LW on it so I could listen to Atlantic 252!! fair play to them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MidlandBlowin

According to Andrew today Brendan Fuller is taking over. Though your man at night on the pulse might have got it. Whoever it is anyway can't sound worse than the new 2fm schedule.

Oh and Hi! New in Tralee from the Midlands Yaba daba doo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

According to Andrew today Brendan Fuller is taking over. Though your man at night on the pulse might have got it. Whoever it is anyway can't sound worse than the new 2fm schedule.

Welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

The Midlands? How xotic of you 😄
    Welcome to the Kingdom.

Noticed today that the filling station at Horans looks like its shut up shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Great Gas, they were cheap but I never really trusted the brand. I think the were across the country in remote places like Cahersiveen!

Had a nice burger in BK last night. I was served by a pleasant girl that used to work in McD's up to recently.

I think Spin SW would be fine if they just played the music and dispensed with the inane DJ's.

groovie wrote: »
    The Midlands? How xotic of you 😄
    Welcome to the Kingdom.

Well, Partly Roscommon I must admit! Place had 2 addresses in 2 provinces! :D

Regards Great Gas, AFAIK all the petrol comes into the same place in Cork, just places like Topaz filter it differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Great Gas, they were cheap but I never really trusted the brand. I think the were across the country in remote places like Cahersiveen!

Had a nice burger in BK last night. I was served by a pleasant girl that used to work in McD's up to recently.

I think Spin SW would be fine if they just played the music and dispensed with the inane DJ's.

"No adds, no waffle". My hole, the adverts are terrible and all they do is waffle on with pointless talk in an attempt to be "cool".

And it is now sounding like a generic American station with the sound snippets all badly edited together to form something a litttttle likkkke this:

Pretty sure it's the same Frequency too :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Well, Partly Roscommon I must admit! Place had 2 addresses in 2 provinces! :D

Hmm I'm from Tralee but now live in a town in the Midlands which has Roscommon and another county addresses either side of the river :P I do not live in the Roscommon side, thankfully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I remember when Oasis released Be Here Now back in 1997 Dave Fanning had an exclusive preview of a few tracks on 2FM.

He started playing one which was just a piano playing and then after 30 seconds cuts the music and tells everyone that wasn't Oasis at all!

Cue thousands of people rewinding tapes all around the country.

unkymo wrote: »
    I remember when Oasis released Be Here Now back in 1997 Dave Fanning had an exclusive preview of a few tracks on 2FM.

He started playing one which was just a piano playing and then after 30 seconds cuts the music and tells everyone that wasn't Oasis at all!

Cue thousands of people rewinding tapes all around the country.

An jaysus! 1997? You had it easy, imagine trying to record MTV USA on a Sunday afternoon with a portable tape player.....a few years before that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Regards Great Gas, AFAIK all the petrol comes into the same place in Cork, just places like Topaz filter it differently?

99% of all fuel both to service stations and oil depots is delivered via whitegate refinery or foynes terminal.

Most stations like great gas or esso or topaz would operate like a franchise and the supply of fuel to that station would be serviced by that particular companies haulage system

Generally it's the unnamed brand stations like the one that's now closed of the Oakpark road or Kelloil that one would want to be carefull with.

Anyone hear that suttons oil has been sold to a company called corrib oil

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Clab mor wrote: »
    99% of all fuel both to service stations and oil depots is delivered via whitegate refinery or foynes terminal.

Most stations like great gas or esso or topaz would operate like a franchise and the supply of fuel to that station would be serviced by that particular companies haulage system

Generally it's the unnamed brand stations like the one that's now closed of the Oakpark road or Kelloil that one would want to be carefull with.

Why is there such a difference in mileage between the different stations so, if its all the same product!

Kelloil use their own fleet of tankers to get their fuel from Whitegate. Not having a middle man supplier is how they are able to compete on price. There is nothing dodgy about it.

kn wrote: »
    Kelloil use their own fleet of tankers to get their fuel from Whitegate. Not having a middle man supplier is how they are able to compete on price. There is nothing dodgy about it.

No there's nothing dodgy about Kelloil at all, as a matter of fact, as far as I know Kelloil are often serviced by Topaz Distributers Kerry Petroleum as they are know part of the DCI fuel card network.

• Advertisement

Why is there such a difference in mileage between the different stations so, if its all the same product!

TBH ive never experienced this, fortunately my fuel is covered my my employer!

However as far as im aware the whole "Topaz Fuel takes you further" is a load of baloney!!!

Each fuel from road diesel, petrol to tractor diesel etc is spec'd to a very high standard having to meet EN ISO standards.

I have some experience in the area and have visited both whitgate and foynes terminals on a regular basis.

It wouldn't be uncommon to have a number of different companies artics queuing to load. Topaz, Top, Esso etc are all loading and supplying exactly the same stuff.

The only thing i can think of is possibly something is added to the product after its delivered to the station. However I find this highly unlikely because if this was possible everyone would be at it and secondly customs may have something to say about it???

On the way to work this morning an old tanker that had the TOTAL logo and name taken off it, you could see it from where the stickers were removed leaving Kellihers, having said that I go to Kellihers frequently and have no problems, the only problem I have is that they close about 8.50pm, way too early!

anyone hear that Brendan fuller on the radio today, if I didn't know Andrew had left I could have sworn it was him!! they sound so alike :-), I thought he was good though, hopefully it works out for him,

was delighted to read that Andrew is going to the breakfast show in spin sw. he will be a great addition to it

If they are the same crowd as we used to deal with in our time in the midlands they are very good to deal with, I'd swear they had a loyalty scheme too, its been a few years so I can't remember exactly!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

TBH ive never experienced this, fortunately my fuel is covered my my employer!

However as far as im aware the whole "Topaz Fuel takes you further" is a load of baloney!!!

Each fuel from road diesel, petrol to tractor diesel etc is spec'd to a very high standard having to meet EN ISO standards.

I have some experience in the area and have visited both whitgate and foynes terminals on a regular basis.

It wouldn't be uncommon to have a number of different companies artics queuing to load. Topaz, Top, Esso etc are all loading and supplying exactly the same stuff.

The only thing i can think of is possibly something is added to the product after its delivered to the station. However I find this highly unlikely because if this was possible everyone would be at it and secondly customs may have something to say about it???

I find a massive difference to be honest.

I was going to an unbranded garage for diesel for Yeats. I then got stuck one morning and Joe Connors was the only place open.

I'm getting 90-100 km a tank more out of a fill there than I was at the unbranded. Topaz is approximately the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

When I had petrol engine, Topaz unleaded was great, When I got a diesel, Topaz diesel was shockingly poor mpg. Now use Apple green and far better economy from their Diesel. Granted they maybe that 1cent cheaper than most in Tralee some days but massive difference compared to the others I tried.

Abbeygate has gone into receivership according to the Kerryman.

kn wrote: »
    Abbeygate has gone into receivership according to the Kerryman.

I stayed there last year when I was up and down on business and I must say it was the worst Hotel I have ever stayed in....Nothing worked, the staff I came across were hopeless and disinterested, 2 different names for the hotel to name a few things. That was just my experience though

Unfortunately buy-lo will be closing it's doors this weekend too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Dammit, I must pop up there tomorrow to stock up on a few things. Knew they couldn't be too long for this world after Aldi opened up opposite them, it was a very quiet shop anyway but it's practically tumbleweek there recently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement