Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Unfortunately buy-lo will be closing it's doors this weekend too

yeah, I heard at the time Aldi opened that they were giving it until February & then they would decide whether to close or not. I am surprised it lasted as long as it did!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Unfortunately buy-lo will be closing it's doors this weekend too
    Do you exactly when their closing and if there is a sell-off?

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    yeah, I heard at the time Aldi opened that they were giving it until February & then they would decide whether to close or not. I am surprised it lasted as long as it did!

In fairness Buy-Lo had gone very quiet even before Aldi opened. I could never understand why a place so quite also seemed to have a full-time static guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

kn wrote: »
    Do you exactly when their closing and if there is a sell-off?

It's closing Sunday, won't be any real sell off I would think. All part of the Barry group so stock will just go back within the group

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think the Buy-Lo chain in general struggled. Their other shops also closed. It just didn't have the same brand awareness or advertising that Aldi and Lidl had. I think even if Aldi wasn't across from them, they'd also be struggling.

I'd love if that whole road had proper street frontage buildings. A lot of it on the southern side is just back entrances to Boherbee businesses and rather unsightly. At least on the northern side it's improving with Aldi and the Bus Eireann building (both with attractive architecture).

What is the story with the empty field type space next to Aldi but before Mitchels bar? Is it owned by Aldi for future carpark expansion?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    I think the Buy-Lo chain in general struggled. Their other shops also closed. It just didn't have the same brand awareness or advertising that Aldi and Lidl had. I think even if Aldi wasn't across from them, they'd also be struggling.

I'd love if that whole road had proper street frontage buildings. A lot of it on the southern side is just back entrances to Boherbee businesses and rather unsightly. At least on the northern side it's improving with Aldi and the Bus Eireann building (both with attractive architecture).

What is the story with the empty field type space next to Aldi but before Mitchels bar? Is it owned by Aldi for future carpark expansion?

I've wondered that too about that field, what is the purpose of it now?

With regards to the area where Buy Lo is, its quite awkard to get into from the JJSheehy road side, you can only go in on either end of the road, and I don't think a lot of people realised there was an entrance into the carpark from the Boherbee side. It was very easy to miss & not know how to get into it if you weren't familiar with the town. They tried to be like Aldi/Lidl, but never really tried hard enough and I said it from day one they wouldn't last!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

ongarboy wrote: »

AFAIK John Mitchels ground was bought by Aldi so they own empty site.Rumour had it a couple of months back that M&S were in negotiations to buy this site with a view to opening a store there

AFAIK John Mitchels ground was bought by Aldi so they own empty site.Rumour had it a couple of months back that M&S were in negotiations to buy this site with a view to opening a store there

M&S have been sniffing around town for a while now since their previous battle with the Town Council. They were rumoured to be taking over Shaws at one point.

Aldi bought the entire Mitchell's pitch (excepting the bar). M&S would be a good fit for Aldi to get into that site. They are not 'direct competitors' in so far as they are at different ends of the market and they could share the parking spaces etc reducing their overall costs.

I stayed there last year when I was up and down on business and I must say it was the worst Hotel I have ever stayed in....Nothing worked, the staff I came across were hopeless and disinterested, 2 different names for the hotel to name a few things. That was just my experience though

It had gotten run down alright. I found the upstairs motion sensor lit long corridors a bit disconcerting. The rooms were 'basic' and just functional. Breakfast was OK though. Its a real pity. When it first opened the bar in there was all the rage in Town and it was a really big bar. I don't know if anyone was really using the bar in latter years. You do have to ask yourself what happened? I know that its bread and butter were the Tour buses - did they disappear?

I stayed in it one night about last April I think and I got the distinct impression that very few rooms were occupied.

So that's Benner's and Abbeygate gone from the Town Centre about 160 rooms in total I think. Amazing that the smaller hotels like the Grand and Imperial with 20 odd rooms each are the one's still surviving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Interesting rumors re Lidl at the moment. It seems they are looking to leave their existing store & move into town. McCowans old coal yard in Edward st is the favoured destination.

• Advertisement

kn wrote: »
    It had gotten run down alright. I found the upstairs motion sensor lit long corridors a bit disconcerting. The rooms were 'basic' and just functional. Breakfast was OK though. Its a real pity. When it first opened the bar in there was all the rage in Town and it was a really big bar. I don't know if anyone was really using the bar in latter years. You do have to ask yourself what happened? I know that its bread and butter were the Tour buses - did they disappear?

I stayed in it one night about last April I think and I got the distinct impression that very few rooms were occupied.

So that's Benner's and Abbeygate gone from the Town Centre about 160 rooms in total I think. Amazing that the smaller hotels like the Grand and Imperial with 20 odd rooms each are the one's still surviving.

I heard a rumour that Benners was bought, by a Listowel man? don't know how true they are, seeing as I heard it was bought a few months back too & no signs of life there since!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

McCowans old coal yard in Edward st is the favoured destination.
    This housed Penneys when they were building their new store a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Went to Burger King last night, the drive through is like a riddle. The speaker where you order wasn't working so orders, payments and where you get the food was all through the one window. Still it was a step up from the 'Rocky Horror' place it replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

There is a recycling facility tomorrow in The Mart, Caherslee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

thanks, was wondering when it was when i saw the sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Went to Burger King last night, the drive through is like a riddle. The speaker where you order wasn't working so orders, payments and where you get the food was all through the one window. Still it was a step up from the 'Rocky Horror' place it replaced.

Pretty much sums up the people running it:D
    5829e-b7e.jpg?w=696

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Not sure if this might be better in the History forum but I thought I'd try here first. I'm researching my Tralee roots and I have been given a link to the Tralee Chronicle and Killarney Echo"- 25 January 1870. It contains what appears to be a pledge of support from the townspeople of Tralee for William Denny. At least 3 members of my family added their names to the list. Could some kind person explain to me what was going on in the town at the time and why the people of Tralee were supporting Wm Denny.

jos28 wrote: »
    Not sure if this might be better in the History forum but I thought I'd try here first. I'm researching my Tralee roots and I have been given a link to the Tralee Chronicle and Killarney Echo"- 25 January 1870. It contains what appears to be a pledge of support from the townspeople of Tralee for William Denny. At least 3 members of my family added their names to the list. Could some kind person explain to me what was going on in the town at the time and why the people of Tralee were supporting Wm Denny.

http://humphrysfamilytree.com/Denny/3rd.baronet.html

That might help.

There is a reference in the Irish Times to William Denny on January 30th 1870 on page 1. Some scandal maybe?? Its headed "Address to William Denny Esq".
    http://www.irishtimes.com/search/archive.html?rm=listresults&rows=50&q=tralee&start=810&sortOrder=oldest
    You can buy a 24 hour subscription to their archive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 immersive

Tomorrow is his last show,I started listening to him a few years ago,was sick of the main stream stuff,in fairness to him plays a good mix of music,alot of 80's and 90's stuff hopefully he will be allowed to do the same on Spin,time to educate the kids on what real music sounds like :)[/QUOTE

Andrew like 90 per cent of radio presenters do not pick the music they play. He has no input in the music, it is playlisted like most shows by a combination of a playlister/computer system. He will not be playing this music on Spin because they have a completely different target audience. Radio Kerry and Spin must abide by their licenses and target audiences which define the music policy. By the way what the hell is "real music". All music is real!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks Kn, the article in the Times is the same as the one I have from the Tralee Chronicle. It was obviously very newsworthy, whatever it was. Columns of Tralee people giving Wm Denny a pat on the back - I wonder why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Do they take car batteries or is it just electrical appliances ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

tfer wrote: »
    Do they take car batteries or is it just electrical appliances ?

How many car batteries do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

I have 2 of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

tfer wrote: »
    I have 2 of them

I'll take them for you boss. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

Pretty much sums up the people running it:D
    5829e-b7e.jpg?w=696

I was there earlier after a trip to the cinema (to be fair, BK's service is amazing compared to that place).

Food was good and service was prompt, but then a bus load of kids from a youth club or something came in. The staff behind the counter looked like they were about to faint at the sight of about 20 customers all coming in at the same time, thought it was kinda funny to watch in a way! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

pookiesboo wrote: »

I had the very same experience there last week, it seemed very silly to me to have only one window open , and while there were only 4 cars there, it made things very slow, so much so that the guy behind me drove out over the kerb and (i presume) off down to McD's

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

Just back from bk drive-thru everything working fine. Good prompt service and tasty food. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

BKing will never be a patch on McDonald's for me, it's their chips that make it a non runner, just never liked them

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

bobdcow wrote: »
    BKing will never be a patch on McDonald's for me, it's their chips that make it a non runner, just never liked them

Same here with regard to the fries, but they were better than I remember today.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

MJ's over both of them!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement