Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Marvellous photo!

First day in school in 4th Class CBS Clonalour with Michael "Sambo" O'Rourke......."and what does your fawdur work at?.....Hes a director in Dennys, Sir!.......really??.....yeah, he directs the pigs into the slaughter house!"

The photo was taken at Bailys Corner at a time in the early 70's when the Ulster Bank had just started up in what was Cavandishes Corner. Note the tar barrels associated with the flooding and culvert in the Mall.

Issue 2 of Kerrys eye! Is that the issue that noticed Ho Kee's planning application to open a restaruant in Castle St?

I had Issue 1 but lost it. It was printed on very heavy guage paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

I had Issue 1 but lost it. It was printed on very heavy guage paper.

Front page Issue 1

1509974_10151890577735806_1998382577_n.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »
    I'm actually barred from there for "talking too loud" - I sh1t you not! Years ago a friend who know one of the sisters from the hospital brought me and another mate in for a couple of pints. Admittedly the other friend was being a bit obnoxious but nothing messy. On the way out my friend who was known to one of them said that he was welcome back anytime but his friends i.e. me and the other guy were not! And I did feck all out of the way.......

I know a guy who was asked to leave for laughing too loud! :rolleyes::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I know a guy who was asked to leave for laughing too loud! :rolleyes::confused:

Went there with three other lads about half eleven on a Saturday night three or so weeks ago. They ran straight out and locked the doors as if they were shouting up. Told us to be quiet and hurry up. Had my first point of Guinness there too tasty stuff. Had a fine conversation with one of the ladies. Don't think she took too kindly to my fashion sense though.

She told me that should a couple come in and the man ordered two pints that shed gladly serve them but would only serve a pint and a glass. No pints for the ladies. "Not very ladylike"

"But I'm a ladddddyyyyyyyyy".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

adam88 wrote: »
    Went there with three other lads about half eleven on a Saturday night three or so weeks ago. They ran straight out and locked the doors as if they were shouting up. Told us to be quiet and hurry up. Had my first point of Guinness there too tasty stuff. Had a fine conversation with one of the ladies. Don't think she took too kindly to my fashion sense though.

She told me that should a couple come in and the man ordered two pints that shed gladly serve them but would only serve a pint and a glass. No pints for the ladies. "Not very ladylike"

"But I'm a ladddddyyyyyyyyy".

oh yeah, heard that too, they won't serve a pint to women! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Proper order too!

*duck & cover*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Would fall foul of the Equality Acts these days if anyone ever challenged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

You wonder how a business who treats customers that way makes a profit in 2014 or can stay in business? Are they able to afford to run it as a hobby or social outlet for their select group of long time punters rather than to make a profit. Or maybe it's appeal is that you get the Fawlty Towers experience when you visit??

The one time I was in there on a Saturday night years ago, it was very quiet and the pints of Carlsberg we got were gone off so while the service wasn't rude, we had no incentive to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Sully34 wrote: »
    As a Tralee man Im ashamed to admit that I have never been inside the Ashe Memorial Hall. Never seen a play in Siamsa Tire or rode on the Blennerville train. I never had a pint in Jess McCarthys,climbed the Croppy boy or watched a match in Austin Stacks Park. And worst of all I have never tried a crubeen out of the Green Rooster

If you have....
    • Sworn blind that you were 18 to get into Harry Roches,
    • Done the same to get cans from Tom Browne in the offy in The Goalpost, while wearing a jumper over your school uniform
    • Ordered a shnack box in the L&A after Spirals (or JB's)
    • Had a burger in Bilkos
    • Picked up fleas in the old cinema in Castle St
    • Robbed a chocolate bar from Woolworths, or the old Quinnsworth in The Square/The Mall
    • Went to the public toilets down Bill Booley's lane (scary)
    • Went out to the Earl of Desmond during the Festival and fought through the crowds
    • Had to park out by Ballyseedy Cross on the Sunday of the Festival to get into the town
    • Gotten half your mouth ripped out at the dental clinic in Moyderwell...
    then you're a Tralee head.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

shergar22 wrote: »
    If you have....
    • Done the same to get cans from Tom Browne in the offy in The Goalpost, while wearing a jumper over your school uniform
    • Had a burger in Bilkos
    • Robbed a chocolate bar from Woolworths, or the old Quinnsworth in The Square/The Mall
    • Went out to the Earl of Desmond during the Festival and fought through the crowds
    • Had to park out by Ballyseedy Cross on the Sunday of the Festival to get into the town

Now this is more like it. I had my first legal pint when I was 16 in the Goalpost. Fag hanging out of the gob beating all the aul lads in pool. Thems were the days.

• Advertisement

I might give old Jessy a miss so... sounds like something out of the League of Gentlemen.

This is a local pub for local people.

Whats all this shouting, we will have no trouble here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

Anyone have any idea what time the parade is on at on Monday in Tralee?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Sully34 wrote: »
    I might give old Jessy a miss so... sounds like something out of the League of Gentlemen.

This is a local pub for local people.

Whats all this shouting, we will have no trouble here!!

It's not that bad.
    Proper old school pub the likes of which are as good as gone in this country.
    Worth a look in before its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

shergar22 wrote: »
    If you have....
    • Had a burger in Bilkos

Ive done 4 of these,snack box in the L&A,Bikos burger,used the public jacks in Booleys Lane and had half my mouth ripped off in the abattoir dental clinic in Moyderwell,

That place would put the fear of god into you!!

Pub crawl from Quinlans to Jess McCarthys. Now theres a wild day out

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Ive done 4 of these,snack box in the L&A,Bikos burger,used the public jacks in Booleys Lane and had half my mouth ripped off in the abattoir dental clinic in Moyderwell,

That place would put the fear of god into you!!

We used to call it a Salmonella box!!! ; )

What about getting taken as a kid to Liam O Conner's toy shop in the Old Russell Arcade,that was still the best toy shop the town has ever had,toys falling out the door on to the hallway :)

Its been a while since the thread went all nostalgic

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

whitewave wrote: »

12 noon

Occurs like clockwork every 6 months! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

What about getting taken as a kid to Liam O Conner's toy shop in the Old Russell Arcade,that was still the best toy shop the town has ever had,toys falling out the door on to the hallway :)

Anytime we ventured in there (minus parents of course), the auld wan inside would be onto us in seconds to boot us out.

I must have a memory lapse but where is/was the Goalpost pub and when did it close (assuming it's still not there)? I can't place it at all. I remember Harrys/The Haven/Whitehouse - was it up along there?

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Anytime we ventured in there (minus parents of course), the auld wan inside would be onto us in seconds to boot us out.

I must have a memory lapse but where is/was the Goalpost pub and when did it close (assuming it's still not there)? I can't place it at all. I remember Harrys/The Haven/Whitehouse - was it up along there?

The Goalpost was on the Town side of Walpole Lane/Castle St (where the Afro-Carribbean shop is now and O'Connell's butchers was at the other side of the laneway). It also had I side entrance in the laneway to the pool table. Probably closed over a decade ago.

I remember a gang of us wanted to go see the new Dirty Harry movie in Coffeys cinema,the one with Guns n Roses in it but we were a few quid light. So we went into a shop not a million miles away from there and knicked all the keyrings with the new twenty pence pieces in. After a lot of stamping down the Town Park we got in to see Harry and even had a few bottles of coke.
    You see kids you can do anything when you put your minds to it

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

The Theatre Royal where Fabric is located was the original 'flea pit'. The old handball alley was class. The other old structure in the park where the winos would shelter. The bush whacker was the park keeper then.
    If you were in Coffey's the night they showed The Big Boss in 1978. It was a Thursday and the place was jointed.

Watching Cheltenham this week and thinking after last years festival Brody Bourke's closed down,big difference a year on favourites not winning the big races so far.

How about we have a whip round and get Tom Waits back to perform the Rose of Tralee

whitewave wrote: »

12pm apparently...and over 5 minutes later probably LOL :D
    The Rose of Tralee parade is better than the Paddy's day parade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

The clinic in Moyderwell was a picnic compared to Scully in Denny St. The Joseph Mengle of the dentistry world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

Anyone got a link to a route map for marathon tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭2013LEO

Anyone got a link to a route map for marathon tomorrow.

http://www.traleemarathon.com/tralee-international-marathon.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Does anyone know if there will be any bin lorries participating in this years parade, seeing as the councils refuse services have been privatised ?

They were always the highlight of the parade for me...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement