Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

There was unfortunately. There was drumming from the Tralee Resource Centre percussion band & Zumba demonstrations between 2-4, but a little after it was over, approx 50-60 teens seemed to want to drive Gillettes share price thru the roof with purchases of shaving foam, it got a bit messy as you can guess, but at least shaving foam washes out easily enough

Ha ha ha in fairness a bit OTT hardly a riot or an orgy. You must have been a saint when you were younger.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

There was unfortunately. There was drumming from the Tralee Resource Centre percussion band & Zumba demonstrations between 2-4, but a little after it was over, approx 50-60 teens seemed to want to drive Gillettes share price thru the roof with purchases of shaving foam, it got a bit messy as you can guess, but at least shaving foam washes out easily enough

Sounded like it was a close shave, you were lucky to get out of there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Clab mor wrote: »
    Ha ha ha in fairness a bit OTT hardly a riot or an orgy. You must have been a saint when you were younger.

No, not a riot, but quite a few younger kids got caught up in it & were upset & crying etc, felt a bit sorry for them, but it wasn't the worst thing I'd ever seen

Sounded like it was a close shave!

Ba-dum....dish!

Ba-dum....dish!

Cutting edge comedy!

• Advertisement

Cutting edge comedy!

I'm you're perfect foil.......best I can do, it's late, I'm tired & my feet are killing me :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

adam88 wrote: »
    What was going on in the square today with the gangs of young ones

same as last year, lots of underage drinking! Apparently very underage from what I was told. Great how parents let their kids run riot & would probably end up blaming someone else for their kids being brought home drunk!
    I'm not that old, and I remember I wasn't allowed hang around in town until I was well into my teens & even then I had strict curfews. My nephew is just turned 12 & he isn't allowed either. Parents know what is going on in town on days like this, yet they let their kids hang around where there is probably going to be drink involved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Clab mor wrote: »
    That's great to hear I didn't make it in to the town centre myself.

Unfortunately knowing this thread it'll be blown up to be a mass riot or teen orgy or some other nonsense.

well I spoke to a couple of business people in the town centre, one of whom has a business in the square & they were not happy with what was going on. It wasn't a riot, but there was plenty of messing going on.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    same as last year, lots of underage drinking! Apparently very underage from what I was told. Great how parents let their kids run riot & would probably end up blaming someone else for their kids being brought home drunk!
    I'm not that old, and I remember I wasn't allowed hang around in town until I was well into my teens & even then I had strict curfews. My nephew is just turned 12 & he isn't allowed either. Parents know what is going on in town on days like this, yet they let their kids hang around where there is probably going to be drink involved.

Who is selling them the drink?

Who is selling them the drink?

God only knows, but unfortunately there are some seriously stupid people who go get it for them, knowing they are underage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

It all seemed harmless to me, passed through a few times as I was working in town today. If anything it highlights the lack of amenities in the town for these kids. They quite literally had nothing else to do and kept themselves entertained. I must say the square was in quite a bad way with all the rubbish, but so was the wetlands and parts of the town after the marathon the day before and not many people seemed too pushed with that. Only for the kids in the square there was nobody in town today from 2 o clock onwards, it was like a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭2013LEO

stuba wrote: »
    It all seemed harmless to me, passed through a few times as I was working in town today. If anything it highlights the lack of amenities in the town for these kids. They quite literally had nothing else to do and kept themselves entertained... Only for the kids in the square there was nobody in town today from 2 o clock onwards, it was like a ghost town.

I was in The Square today around 2.30 (& also last Saturday) & totally agree with you, on both days there were a load of kids around & I was thinking the same thing that they have nothing to do. Alot of them were aged around 14/15, the boys were trying to impress the girls & visa versa, I didn't see any drinking though, just a bit of harmless messing around. Kids are going down town much younger now alright, its a pity to see them just around in groups & it might come across as intimidating for some people as well. I was hoping there would be entertainment to keep the crowd around after the parade today but apart from Cassie Leens dance group in The Square & buskers outside Easons (both of which were good) I didn't see much else around & people tended to just go home. Places like The Grand & The Imperial did well alright, they were packed after the parade with people going for a bite to eat. IMO I thought the parade was a bit boring to be honest. Also, there were no barriers at all for most of Denny Street which resulted in people moving further onto the street causing a bit of a nightmare for the stewards trying to keep people back from the floats etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    God only knows, but unfortunately there are some seriously stupid people who go get it for them, knowing they are underage!

Same problem last year and it will be repeated again next year!

I agree there are stupid people who get the drink for the kids. They are not doing them any favours at all.

It may be all harmless fun until someone is injured or worse.

To be fair I was in a number of shops today where staff made it quite clear that alcohol sections were closed until after 12,30pm. I have no doubt that they were not selling to underage customers.

Past through Manor Shopping Centre a while ago & saw my last car being driven around covered in dirt & looking a bit rough since I traded it in last year. I know its only a car but it never left me down & its sad to see it not being taken care of. Theres alot to be said for trading in or selling yr car away from where you live, at least the chances are better that you'd never see it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

2013LEO wrote: »
    Past through Manor Shopping Centre a while ago & saw my last car being driven around covered in dirt & looking a bit rough since I traded it in last year. I know its only a car but it never left me down & its sad to see it not being taken care of. Theres alot to be said for trading in or selling yr car away from where you live, at least the chances are better that you'd never see it again!

I did that with my second to last car, but it was nailed by a merc on it's first trip out. The driver got out ok, thankfully. The car had to be scrapped.

groovie wrote: »
    I did that with my second to last car, but it was nailed by a merc on it's first trip out. The driver got out ok, thankfully. The car had to be scrapped.

It was great the driver was ok (& was very lucky to be ok) but thats fair bad luck to write it off before people even got a chance to wish the person "well wear". I was talking to someone a while back that was paying back a loan on a car he crashed & then had to get another loan for another car - I'd be fair sick if that happened to me.

I noticed that the new shop 'Swerve' which opened in Russell Street a few weeks ago has already relocated to Castle St, next door to Hilsers!

Also spotted that the gift shop Loramer which has been up Rock Street for years, is moving down the street into where batt Coffey's old shop was opposite Garvey's.

I remember when I sold my first car & I used to see it around and it was not kept well! It used to drive me mad! lol Thankfully I sold my last car to a guy in Cork, so I never have to see it!

It was great the driver was ok (& was very lucky to be ok) but thats fair bad luck to write it off before people even got a chance to wish the person "well wear". I was talking to someone a while back that was paying back a loan on a car he crashed & then had to get another loan for another car - I'd be fair sick if that happened to me.

Had he Comprehensive cover ?

So long as he wasn't injured , a car is only a car no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I was talking to a lad about 15 years ago, he never liked his car, so he traded it in in Killarney, came back delighted with his new wheels and claimed he'd never see his old car again - it was a lad from Tralee that bought and he was seeing it on a near daily basis :D

• Advertisement

Had he Comprehensive cover ?

So long as he wasn't injured , a car is only a car no matter what.

No comprehensive cover, it was an expensive lesson to learn - & hopefully he learnt from it (for his own sake & other road users).

bobdcow wrote: »
    I was talking to a lad about 15 years ago, he never liked his car, so he traded it in in Killarney, came back delighted with his new wheels and claimed he'd never see his old car again - it was a lad from Tralee that bought and he was seeing it on a near daily basis :D

I had a similar experience a few years ago, my car was traded in to a Dealership in Dublin . Some months later in Glenbeigh a gentleman parked next to me in my old car.

Small world!

No comprehensive cover, it was an expensive lesson to learn - & hopefully he learnt from it (for his own sake & other road users).

I guess we often learn by our mistakes?

I had a similar experience a few years ago, my car was traded in to a Dealership in Dublin . Some months later in Glenbeigh a gentleman parked next to me in my old car.

Small world!

The President was in Glenbeigh?

Small world!

Surely not the Bentley?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Surely not the Bentley?

Austerity has gone too far if our President is reduced to using a second hand Bentley - riots will ensue!! :p

The President was in Glenbeigh?

A cousin of mine bought the former Taoiseach Jack Lynch's car!!

A cousin of mine bought the former Taoiseach Jack Lynch's car!!

Deadly. Was it bulletproof?

Deadly. Was it bulletproof?

unfortunately not :) but he loved it, it was a black saab

• Advertisement

unfortunately not :) but he loved it, it was a black saab

A black Saab? Awesome.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement