Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭2013LEO

I stop in that garage every evening on the way home from work for coffee. Its a gold mine, and there pulling **** like this.

May have to find a different coffee stop!

Is it the car wash at Moriartys? I thought it might be some set up in the Farranfore Business Centre. Its beyond belief!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

2013LEO wrote: »
    Is it the car wash at Moriartys? I thought it might be some set up in the Farranfore Business Centre. Its beyond belief!

Ya that's the one.

Hell be looking for an intern to run he's car sales place across the road aswell I suppose!

I googled this car wash & it doesnt seem to be run by Moriartys themselves. This fella had the same ad up last July for a 9 mth internship, I don't know if he got someone then but if he did then that will be15 mths free labour altogether with this one. Hes seems to be busy enough to employ someone.

http://www.jobsrus.ie/info_jobid_300105/assistant_car_valet.html

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Another example of job bridge piss taking

As a matter of interest what kind of jobs would one find acceptable on the jobs bridge program???

Clab mor wrote: »
    As a matter of interest what kind of jobs would one find acceptable on the jobs bridge program???

http://www.jobbridge.ie/intern.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Cheers for that!!! A lot of them are bit of a piss take alright.

We actually hired through this program at work ourselves. Position was clerical/admin/receptionist phone answering taking messages dealing with a bit or cash etc. In fairness it fell well into the criteria that's on that link.

HOWEVER ........ Our experience of it was quite bad. Unfortunately the employee didn't give a rats arse about the job itself. Turned up late/hungover regularly left phones ring out unanswered and had a poor attitude in general. Personally I couldn't blame them an extra 50 quid is ****e for what they were expected to do.

Clab mor wrote: »
    Cheers for that!!! A lot of them are bit of a piss take alright.

We actually hired through this program at work ourselves. Position was clerical/admin/receptionist phone answering taking messages dealing with a bit or cash etc. In fairness it fell well into the criteria that's on that link.

HOWEVER ........ Our experience of it was quite bad. Unfortunately the employee didn't give a rats arse about the job itself. Turned up late/hungover regularly left phones ring out unanswered and had a poor attitude in general. Personally I couldn't blame them an extra 50 quid is ****e for what they were expected to do.

But some people have got jobs out of it, either in the place they served their internship or because of the experience they got there (& hopefully they get a good reference out of it too) so that was foolish of that person really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

But some people have got jobs out of it, either in the place they served their internship or because of the experience they got there (& hopefully they get a good reference out of it too) so that was foolish of that person really.

Very true.

Is it just me or is there a terrible sense of entitlement out there? I mean you cant expect to walk into a good job without some experience. Job - bridge isnt perfect by any means but its a step onto work.

On the pay side, I took a few jobs at dole rates in the 80s just to get experience in a job climate similar to now.

5live wrote: »
    Very true.

Is it just me or is there a terrible sense of entitlement out there? I mean you cant expect to walk into a good job without some experience. Job - bridge isnt perfect by any means but its a step onto work.

On the pay side, I took a few jobs at dole rates in the 80s just to get experience in a job climate similar to now.

A 6 month internship to wash cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

All jokes aside, car valeting is not easy work.

• Advertisement

Its work experience.

It looks better on a CV than having no work experience.

When applying for another job, the interviewer can contact the company in question and enquire as to the applicants time keeping, general attitude, ability to deal with customers, attitude to the work in general, relationships with other employees etc.

A reply with a positive response will put the applicant to the top of the list as they will have shown the ability and aptitude to complete tasks assigned.

A reply with a negative response will eliminate the applicant from the interview process as in the example given by Clab Mor above.

As i said before, it is by no means an ideal situation but the potential rewards are not the internship in question but what that internship can lead to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

5live wrote: »
    Its work experience.

It looks better on a CV than having no work experience.

When applying for another job, the interviewer can contact the company in question and enquire as to the applicants time keeping, general attitude, ability to deal with customers, attitude to the work in general, relationships with other employees etc.

A reply with a positive response will put the applicant to the top of the list as they will have shown the ability and aptitude to complete tasks assigned.

A reply with a negative response will eliminate the applicant from the interview process as in the example given by Clab Mor above.

As i said before, it is by no means an ideal situation but the potential rewards are not the internship in question but what that internship can lead to.

All well and good, but putting an 'internship' label on it just defies belief. 'Internships' are supposed to be for 3rd level graduates starting out on a career in a chosen profession. Not for low skill car valets, hotel and restaurant workers etc.

kn wrote: »
    All well and good, but putting an 'internship' label on it just defies belief. 'Internships' are supposed to be for 3rd level graduates starting out on a career in a chosen profession. Not for low skill car valets, hotel and restaurant workers etc.

What is an internship?

An internship provides the opportunity to gain valuable experience in a working environment to those looking to explore or gain the relevant knowledge and skills required to enter into a particular career field.

JobBridge provides work experience placements for interns for a 6 month or 9 month period. Its aim is to assist in breaking the cycle where jobseekers are unable to get a job without experience, either as new entrants to the labour market after education or training or as unemployed workers wishing to learn new skill.

Taken from-

http://www.jobbridge.ie/intern.aspx

So it is not solely the preserve of graduates but also the unemployed wishing to learn new skills

I need to get my dads Technics stereo fixed. The DVD drawer won't close properly.

I heard there's a guy that lives behind Penney's, at the end of the lane way that fixes stereos. Has anyone here ever used him?

I need to get my dads Technics stereo fixed. The DVD drawer won't close properly.

I heard there's a guy that lives behind Penney's, at the end of the lane way that fixes stereos. Has anyone here ever used him?

I havent gone to him in years but this is the fella yr talking about:
    Lionel Dorrington Jnr
    Phone:  0667121467
    Address:  9 Church St, TRALEE, KERRY
    He's across from the bar entrance to The Abbeygate Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

Lionel Dorrington. One of the best around. Has been doing this type of stuff for years.

Thanks lads.

Will ring him in the morning.

The stereo is about 12 years old, and is still a better sound system than most of the stuff sold these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

All jokes aside, car valeting is not easy work.

Agree With you Sir !

Valeting cars requires quite an amount of skill and requires attention to detail.

Those of us in the know, understand that we are merely custodians of our motor vehicles which must be preserved for future generations;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

I'm not so sure, car valeting is a menial job that is done by unskilled workers. It doesn't require a 4 year college degree, it isn't something that need 6 months of training to teach someone how to wax, buff, wash & hoover a car.
    Personally, I don't blame the employer, the system is there to be used (and abused) so if he can get a person to work for 50 euro a week, fair play, it could be the difference between him going under & surviving. But lets not kid ourselves into thinking that this is what job bridge is supposed to be about, the system needs to change. The employers contribution has to be increased, €100 would weed out the people who are genuinely looking to take someone on, and those who are looking for free labour. It would also make it more appealing to prospective employees knowing they had a real chance of a position after the 6 month term is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Lionel Dorrington. One of the best around. Has been doing this type of stuff for years.
    I notice he has gone into the Electronic Cigarettes in a big way now too, but I presume he still fixes stereos etc.

• Advertisement

I'm not so sure, car valeting is a menial job that is done by unskilled workers. It doesn't require a 4 year college degree, it isn't something that need 6 months of training to teach someone how to wax, buff, wash & hoover a car.
    Personally, I don't blame the employer, the system is there to be used (and abused) so if he can get a person to work for 50 euro a week, fair play, it could be the difference between him going under & surviving. But lets not kid ourselves into thinking that this is what job bridge is supposed to be about, the system needs to change. The employers contribution has to be increased, €100 would weed out the people who are genuinely looking to take someone on, and those who are looking for free labour. It would also make it more appealing to prospective employees knowing they had a real chance of a position after the 6 month term is up.

Thats the thing, the employer doesnt pay ANYTHING!!, the extra €50 is paid by the state (i.e. the taxpayer), so that was one of the mistakes made with this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

From the Abbey Inn facebook page;

'We are delighted to announce that their is no more cover charge at the ABBEY INN'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

unkymo wrote: »
    From the Abbey Inn facebook page;

'We are delighted to announce that their is no more cover charge at the ABBEY INN'

good, but I still won't be going there!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    good, but I still won't be going there!

I agree! If some or all the money went to charity I wouldn't have minded paying it but it was a pure joke to charge people to go in there. I wonder whats after happening to cause this change around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

I agree! If some or all the money went to charity I wouldn't have minded paying it but it was a pure joke to charge people to go in there. I wonder whats after happening to cause this change around.

The Blasket and Hennesseys have late bars at the weekends and its free.No point in paying the Abbey a fiver to go to a late bar when you can go to a different late bar for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Five quid a pint? No thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

unkymo wrote: »
    The Blasket and Hennesseys have late bars at the weekends and its free.No point in paying the Abbey a fiver to go to a late bar when you can go to a different late bar for free!

You were paying the fiver for "Maniac 2000" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kimbaines

Looks like the weather not too great for Fenit Coastal Cycle again - It was desperate last year, very windy!
    My target this year is to be fit to do the Kingdom Alliance Sportive in May & June a 3 day tour of Kerry. Great event last year! Weather is much nicer then.
    Anyone heard anything about Tir na Nog this Easter? Is it happening? Its great for the Kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

does dorrington still have his porche?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

kimbaines wrote: »
    Looks like the weather not too great for Fenit Coastal Cycle again - It was desperate last year, very windy!
    My target this year is to be fit to do the Kingdom Alliance Sportive in May & June a 3 day tour of Kerry. Great event last year! Weather is much nicer then.
    Anyone heard anything about Tir na Nog this Easter? Is it happening? Its great for the Kids.

I'd swear I heard that the Tír na nÓg is on this easter but for the life of me I can't remember where I heard it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement