Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I'm from Tralee btw. Prestige? Rose of Tralee?...

Yes I know you are from Tralee. What has the place done to you?

Surely you will agree that the Rose Festival attracts a more distinguished clientele than the Ballinasloe Horse Fair ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I'm not going to get into what I dislike about Tralee because this is the shiny happy Tralee thread but basically what I'm saying about the Carlton in Tralee is it can't compete with the experienced, established, aesthetically pleasing family run wedding venues in town. It doesn't have a USP that makes people want to book it, like Ballygarry, Ballyseede, etc.

The Ballinasloe one has a much larger catchment area because it's centrally located in the country, has built a name for weddings, has prettier immediate surroundings and access to two beautiful areas for couples photos, is very experienced with large events, so is not comparable with its Tralee relative. Maybe bus tours would be a better way for it to go, like the Abbeygate used to.

I'm not going to get into what I dislike about Tralee because this is the shiny happy Tralee thread but basically what I'm saying about the Carlton in Tralee is it can't compete with the experienced, established, aesthetically pleasing family run wedding venues in town. It doesn't have a USP that makes people want to book it, like Ballygarry, Ballyseede, etc.

The Ballinasloe one has a much larger catchment area because it's centrally located in the country, has built a name for weddings, has prettier immediate surroundings and access to two beautiful areas for couples photos, is very experienced with large events, so is not comparable with its Tralee relative. Maybe bus tours would be a better way for it to go, like the Abbeygate used to.

Agree with you Seosamh.

Personally I would choose Ballyseede. Fabulous setting

Ps Will you continue to support Kerry in the Football. How will Galway do in the hurling this year??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Seen that Ballyseede seems to be getting a few weddings now,been years since I was there for an event and that was a christening,

Have they built on to it or something or does it just hold small weddings?

Seen that Ballyseede seems to be getting a few weddings now,been years since I was there for an event and that was a christening,

Very select gatherings !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I got married in Ballinasloe myself as my missus is from near there. I'd agree the Carlton is a fine hotel there and couldn't fault them for our wedding. As regards Ballinasloe itself, I'm sorry but it doesn't hold a candle to Tralee or its surrounding areas. There is absolutely nothing to do there. Flat boring countryside and as for the October horse fair... mother of god, I've never seen so much fake tan in one place. Galway and Athlone are a good 30 minutes in either direction if you want to do something.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I got married in Ballinasloe myself as my missus is from near there. I'd agree the Carlton is a fine hotel there and couldn't fault them for our wedding. As regards Ballinasloe itself, I'm sorry but it doesn't hold a candle to Tralee or its surrounding areas. There is absolutely nothing to do there. Flat boring countryside and as for the October horse fair... mother of god, I've never seen so much fake tan in one place. Galway and Athlone are a good 30 minutes in either direction if you want to do something.

Yes it is a fairly grim sight in October..........

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I think Ballyseedy had their function room refurbished recently, so someone told me anyway. I was at a wedding there about 6 years ago & it was nice, quite intimate.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I think Ballyseedy had their function room refurbished recently, so someone told me anyway. I was at a wedding there about 6 years ago & it was nice, quite intimate.

My Brother in Law and his wife stayed there recently.

It is a fabulous set up.

Must say I like the old world charm about the place.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I was just reading on the journal.ie and saw that a 26 year old woman was arrested on Monday night in Cul Doire (up near Kileen), Tralee after the house was searched and €75,000 worth of cannabis was found! She is up in Court in the morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It's a grand spot.
    They built a lodge last year so can cater for extra people at weddings.
    It is a nice place and extremely well run with the old worlde charm but technically isn't a castle!

One more quick question. Where would one find a relatively cheap digital watch with an alarm in Tralee? Not taking my phone or watch to Asia, just want something that will rouse me from my inevitable hangovers to get out and allow myself to immerse in the local culture!

Walked through town today, looked the insane amount of € shops, Heaton’s, Focus etc and nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

One more quick question. Where would one find a relatively cheap digital watch with an alarm in Tralee? Not taking my phone or watch to Asia, just want something that will rouse me from my inevitable hangovers to get out and allow myself to immerse in the local culture!

Walked through town today, looked the insane amount of € shops, Heaton’s, Focus etc and nada.

Look through the Argos catalogue online and reserve a cheap one to collect at the Horan Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

One more quick question. Where would one find a relatively cheap digital watch with an alarm

Buy a Rolex for a buck when you get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

As I am from neither Ballinasloe nor Tralee , I don't have to defend either one.

However I would certainly prefer the prestige of the Rose Festival to Ballinasloe's Horse Fair
    You'll change your mind when its time to sell the horse, boss:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

As I am from neither Ballinasloe nor Tralee , I don't have to defend either one.

However I would certainly prefer the prestige of the Rose Festival to Ballinasloe's Horse Fair

I know both towns very well, ballinasloe very well in fact, and I will guarantee you one thing, the festival attracts just as much of the fake tan clientelle as the horse fair. Just because the festival can be seen as a more prestige event does not mean the visitors are any different.

Heaton's isn't a € shop, and has been here for many years, as has Focus! Both shops are quite good, and have some good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Heaton's isn't a € shop, and has been here for many years, as has Focus! Both shops are quite good, and have some good stuff!

In fairness focus is mainly full of rubbish.

Yes I know that. There is a comma between € shops and the other two.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I would consider Focus as the ultimate pound/euro shop. Heatons more of a discount superstore. I still remember buying some crappy porcelain greyhound ornament (yes, sounds as awful as it looked...:D) in Focus for Mother's Day when I was a youngster. Not sure I've been back since!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

It holds wedding up to 250 people. The ballroom was redone about four years ago. Was in there recently and they have somewhere in the region of 90 weddings this year

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

is Ballyseede open all year round. do they do lunches, id love to head there as ive never been before

kn wrote: »

we got some stuff there recently which wasn't rubbish, but I guess everyone's different!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

kn wrote: »

they do very reasonably priced greeting cards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

CeX exchange store opening in old AWear shop in The Mall. Not sure I'm crazy about the idea of a pawn shop type store opening in the main street but the jobs and another empty unit gone are to be welcomed.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/electronic-exchange-company-to-create-up-to-15-jobs-in-tralee/

ongarboy wrote: »
    CeX exchange store opening in old AWear shop in The Mall. Not sure I'm crazy about the idea of a pawn shop type store opening in the main street but the jobs and another empty unit gone are to be welcomed.

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/electronic-exchange-company-to-create-up-to-15-jobs-in-tralee/

I haven't heard of them, but I was checking out their website last night. I hope they fit it out tastefully and its not tacky looking! Another shop opening in Castle street in next few days, 'Divas and Dudes', a women & kids clothing shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Henwin wrote: »
    is Ballyseede open all year round. do they do lunches, id love to head there as ive never been before

Yes, Most of the year apart from January February and March, good food there.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Henwin wrote: »

Closes from NOV to early March -offers all hotel services -building dates from 1300s so real old world charm-great pint of the black stuff is also an attraction

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Swarlez

Closes from NOV to early March -offers all hotel services -building dates from 1300s so real old world charm-great pint of the black stuff is also an attraction

It's only closed January and February

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

we we're really going for Ballyseede for our wedding it would have been beautiful, but we had one VIP guest who is in a wheelchair and she would have to been brought through the kitchen area to get to the top table, we felt it wouldn't be suitable so we headed to the skellig in Dingle, but that was the only fault we could find with the castle, gorgeous place

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement