Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone here with Permanet Broadband?

I find it pretty good,Im on the cheapest package(€23.99 a month),but thinking about upgrading to next package(€34.99 a month)
    I'm with Iveragh Broadband. Excellent service to be fair. 34.99 for the 10mbit/sec package. They have another package for 29.99 for 6mbit/sec.
    3467778155.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

siblers wrote: »
    I'm with Iveragh Broadband. Excellent service to be fair. 34.99 for the 10mbit/sec package. They have another package for 29.99 for 6mbit/sec.
    3467778155.png

I was checking them out but it showed on their coverage map that their broadband couldn't be received in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

kingdumb wrote: »

Doesn't matter what width they are most muppets will still cycle on the footpath or the middle of the road or anywhere really other than where there supposed to be.

The bypass is a typical example of this!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Clab mor wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what width they are most muppets will still cycle on the footpath or the middle of the road or anywhere really other than where there supposed to be.

Agree 100%

The bypass should be renamed the Velodome !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 anvilmas

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I think they open around 4/5pm

Thanks, yeah it was 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Cyclists are not obligated to use cycle paths which are generally not fit for purpose anyway. They are fully entitled to use the road the same as any driver. The bypass is a dual carriageway with visibility for miles. If you are not capable of sharing 2 lanes with a cyclist on a generally very quiet Road then I respectfully suggest you are the one with the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I was checking them out but it showed on their coverage map that their broadband couldn't be received in Tralee.

That map is out of date, give them an email anyway and they'll let you know. Pretty sure they have a mast up the short mountain next to the permanet one so you should be covered

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

siblers wrote: »
    That map is out of date, give them an email anyway and they'll let you know. Pretty sure they have a mast up the short mountain next to the permanet one so you should be covered

Cheers for the info

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Cyclists are not obligated to use cycle paths which are generally not fit for purpose anyway. They are fully entitled to use the road the same as any driver. The bypass is a dual carriageway with visibility for miles. If you are not capable of sharing 2 lanes with a cyclist on a generally very quiet Road then I respectfully suggest you are the one with the problem.

Respectfully, cyclists are indeed entitled to use the road , however they are obligated to obey the rules of the road like any other road user.

Not for a moment would I expect cyclists to use a cycle path if it is not suitable for purpose, however cycle lanes have been provided on the bypass, it may be in their best to use them.

As a fellow cyclist, I most certainly have no problem!

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter what width they are most muppets will still cycle on the footpath or the middle of the road or anywhere really other than where there supposed to be. \
    \

I would consider myself perfectly capable, I do upwards of 50k KM per year in a two year old 2.0 litre company car and I am well able to run most middle aged fat f***s in tight shorts into the ditch. No problems here ;)

The point I was making is that cycling and cyclists are becoming a law onto themselves. Money is spent planning and developing cycling tracks and lanes yet cyclists never use them.

If cycle facilities aren't incorporated cyclists moan if they are incorporated they moan there unsuitable and cycle on the road anyway despite substantional money being spent on incorporating them.

Imagine the uproar if the bypass didn't have cycle facilities.

Most cyclists are bleeding some roads projects and the country dry in unnecessary routes and in some cases holding projects up altogether which is utter nonsense.
    This is despite most getting there bikes with the back to work scheme which is also costing the country in lost revenue.

Cycle with consideration leave room for cars truck and buses to over take.

Do not cause 2 miles tail backs while your having a chat alongside your buddy.

And above all else use the cycle facilities provided its safer and more enjoyable for all road users if you do!!!!

I would consider myself perfectly capable, I do upwards of 50k KM per year in a two year old 2.0 litre company car and I am well able to run most middle aged fat f***s in tight shorts into the ditch. No problems here ;)

The point I was making is that cycling and cyclists are becoming a law onto themselves. Money is spent planning and developing cycling tracks and lanes yet cyclists never use them.

If cycle facilities aren't incorporated cyclists moan if they are incorporated they moan there unsuitable and cycle on the road anyway despite substantional money being spent on incorporating them.

Imagine the uproar if the bypass didn't have cycle facilities.

Most cyclists are bleeding some roads projects and the country dry in unnecessary routes and in some cases holding projects up altogether which is utter nonsense.
    This is despite most getting there bikes with the back to work scheme which is also costing the country in lost revenue.

Cycle with consideration leave room for cars truck and buses to over take.

Do not cause 2 miles tail backs while your having a chat alongside your buddy.

And above all else use the cycle facilities provided its safer and more enjoyable for all road users if you do!!!!

Well said!

Furthermore it is a miracle there has not been a serious accident between Clogherbrien, The Spa & Fenit.

It is a nightmare for both cyclists and motorists. Cyclists are cycling 3 abreast which causes either a tailback of cars or drivers to overtake with either oncoming cars or more cyclists approaching.

I guess it is fairly obvious as to which road user is going to come off worse.

Courtesy from both cyclists and motorists may avoid a very serious accident.

Courtesy from both cyclists and motorists may avoid a very serious accident.

This. There's dumb people on bikes and there's dumb people in cars. This is because some people are just dumb. The lazy way out is to generalise about a group over the antics of a tiny minority like Clab mor does above. I drive the bypass every day and never had an issue with a cyclist. I cycle it regularly too and never had an issue with a car. A small bit of common sense is required on both sides.
    The cycle path on the bypass is shared with pedestrians so it may be suitable for some "fat middle aged individual in lycra" huffing and puffing up to leith but it is not suitable for serious cyclists. They will use the road whether motorists like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Yes, generally cyclists are fine.
    But I have issue with the two and three abreast cyclists where there is obviously no room for it. I followed a bunch of cyclists in to town last week and although there are cycle lanes provided at the new traffic calming section, clearly marked, and painted red at Ballyseedy junction, still they cycled along the road almost getting collected by the car in front of me. Why they could not use the lanes is beyond me as there is no difference in surface quality there.

What's the problem with the cycle lane on the bypass, it's tarred and quite wide yet it's rare to see it bring used by anyone other than walkers. Seems like a done deal to me?

This. There's dumb people on bikes and there's dumb people in cars. This is because some people are just dumb. The lazy way out is to generalise about a group over the antics of a tiny minority. I drive the bypass every day and never had an issue with a cyclist. I cycle it regularly too and never had an issue with a car. A small bit of common sense is required on both sides.
    The cycle path on the bypass is shared with pedestrians so it may be suitable for some "fat middle aged individual in lycra" huffing and puffing up to leith but it is not suitable for serious cyclists. They will use the road whether motorists like it or not.

Fair point.

However you mention serious cyclists and you are right that there are different types or levels of cyclists. The two main types which are most prominent are.......

Those using the roads and cycle facilities as there only form of travel getting to school, college, town or work ie no lycra just helmet and high vis (sometimes)!!!

Then you have the all out keep fit sports cyclist with the 1000 euro carbon framed bike, lycra, helmet, energy drink, speedometer on the handle bars the works.

My question is why should a sports cyclists or serious cyclist as you like to call them have such an entitlement to the road????

No issues with those heading to school work or town but why should we allow our roads be conjested with sports cycling enthusiasts.

Travelling at high speeds in packs groups and sometimes clubs, sports cyclists or serious cyclists have been known to cause some major headaches for people who use the roads for reasons other than sport.

They cause costly delays with haulage companies and taxi services and also increase the risk of accidents for people who are going about there daily lives or work.

Where does one draw the line???

Like cyclists there are different types of drivers and vehicle users.

Those that go about there everyday lives and use there cars vans for family life or work.

And also those that like driving as a sport. These people join clubs raise money and hold rally's where roads are closed and they take part in there sport in a controlled environment.

Just beacuse there drivers and have cars doesn't give them an automatic entitlement to a main road.

You don't see groups of rally cars doing timed sections of the bypass do you?????

Cycling as a sport needs to be regulated and some serious policing and campaigning by the Gardai and RSA. Some sort of training and licence system should also be introduced.

Fair point.

However you mention serious cyclists and you are right that there are different types or levels of cyclists. The two main types which are most prominent are.......

Those using the roads and cycle facilities as there only form of travel getting to school, college, town or work ie no lycra just helmet and high vis (sometimes)!!!

Then you have the all out keep fit sports cyclist with the 1000 euro carbon framed bike, lycra, helmet, energy drink, speedometer on the handle bars the works.

My question is why should a sports cyclists or serious cyclist as you like to call them have such an entitlement to the road????

No issues with those heading to school work or town but why should we allow our roads be conjested with sports cycling enthusiasts.

Travelling at high speeds in packs groups and sometimes clubs, sports cyclists or serious cyclists have been known to cause some major headaches for people who use the roads for reasons other than sport.

They cause costly delays with haulage companies and taxi services and also increase the risk of accidents for people who are going about there daily lives or work.

Where does one draw the line???

Like cyclists there are different types of drivers and vehicle users.

Those that go about there everyday lives and use there cars vans for family life or work.

And also those that like driving as a sport. These people join clubs raise money and hold rally's where roads are closed and they take part in there sport in a controlled environment.

Just beacuse there drivers and have cars doesn't give them an automatic entitlement to a main road.

You don't see groups of rally cars doing timed sections of the bypass do you?????

Cycling as a sport needs to be regulated and some serious policing and campaigning by the Gardai and RSA. Some sort of training and licence system should also be introduced.

Agree totally. Cycle clubs should have a minimum of two motorcycle outriders to warn motorists of the potential road hazard. I came across on the Tralee by pass a cycling club on dark night last winter. I can only say they were behaving like riders in the tour de France. Outrageous , mindless and careless display of disrespect for other road users.
    Needless to say very few of the cyclists had lights on their bikes also.

The Motorist does not own the road , however they are at least paying road tax to use the road.

Del, not every cycling club has 2 spare motorbikes lying around who are willing to go out on every club spin. We don't all live on planet Del with 4 Jaguars and a stable full of racehorses. In fairness, sportives would and they are generally well marshalled and agreed with the local authorities. Also, the majority of adult cyclists do pay road tax. They just happen to own a bike also, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Clab Mor, cyclists legally have as much right to use the road as motorists. You seem to have an issue with this point but it is fact. As I said before, you are generalising over the antics of a small few and this men in lycra obsession you have is a little unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

Yes, generally cyclists are fine.

What's the problem with the cycle lane on the bypass, it's tarred and quite wide yet it's rare to see it bring used by anyone other than walkers. Seems like a done deal to me?

The surface of the cycle lane is very uneven and as a leisure cyclist I feel safer on the road than trying to stay seated on the cycle lane.

The worst part is from the college down to Forge Cross. like a rollarcoaster

And why the roundabout is not called Forge roundabout is beyond me..political strokes once more

pickled101 wrote: »
    The surface of the cycle lane is very uneven and as a leisure cyclist I feel safer on the road than trying to stay seated on the cycle lane.

The worst part is from the college down to Forge Cross. like a rollarcoaster

And why the roundabout is not called Forge roundabout is beyond me..political strokes once more

What is the roundabout called? In my ignorance I always refer to it as College roundabout. Sorry if I have caused offence?

Oh dear! Seems a shame to get personal about things, perhaps you are the one with the problem!

I guess you are only hopping the ball?

Regards

delthedriver

• Advertisement

Oh dear! Seems a shame to get personal about things, perhaps you are the one with the problem!

Well have a read of the quotes below and you may see why someone would take it personally.
    The Motorist does not own the road , however they are at least paying road tax to use the road.
    Cycle clubs should have a minimum of two motorcycle outriders
    I am well able to run most middle aged fat f***s in tight shorts into the ditch. No problems here
    Most cyclists are bleeding some roads projects and the country dry

Well have a read of the quotes below and you may see why someone would take it personally.

Relax, I think there is an element of never the twain shall meet.

Chill take a run on your bicycle this morning. It is a beautiful day!

I am taking my bicycle out for a spin shortly.

Enjoy your day

Sincerely

del

Relax, I think there is an element of never the twain shall meet.

Chill take a run on your bicycle this morning. It is a beautiful day!

I am taking my bicycle out for a spin shortly.

Enjoy your day

Sincerely

del

Well watch out for Clab Mor ;) and enjoy your spin. I hope you're paying for your motorcycle outriders' petrol.:D

Well watch out for Clab Mor ;) and enjoy your spin. I hope you're paying for your motorcycle outriders' petrol.:D

Sure thing! I won't be wearing lycra!

No problem , outrider may need to give me a lift home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

walked past Quinlans fish shop his morning, someone knocked over their delivery of fish :/ :L

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

What is the roundabout called? In my ignorance I always refer to it as College roundabout.

It's the Mary O'Halloran roundabout after a councillor who had a shop in the area.

No disrespect intended to the late councillor and all the others who have roads and roundabouts named after them. But it would be much easier if roads and such were named after the location or landmark around them.

Strangely Kerry County Council referred to it here as the Forge Cross Roundabout, wonder why it had to change name?

wwwdotkerrycocodotie/en/allservices/roads/part8-traleenorthernreliefroad/

..apparantly I'm a new user so can't post links :-)

Anyhow this might be a discussion for the bypass thread..

walked past Quinlans fish shop his morning, someone knocked over their delivery of fish :/ :L

Ouch!

pickled101 wrote: »
    It's the Mary O'Halloran roundabout after a councillor who had a shop in the area.

No disrespect intended to the late councillor and all the others who have roads and roundabouts named after them. But it would be much easier if roads and such were named after the location or landmark around them.

Strangely Kerry County Council referred to it here as the Forge Cross Roundabout, wonder why it had to change name?

wwwdotkerrycocodotie/en/allservices/roads/part8-traleenorthernreliefroad/

..apparantly I'm a new user so can't post links :-)

Anyhow this might be a discussion for the bypass thread..

I guess it will be come known as either Forge Roundabout or College Roundabout. In the same way Bracker O'Regan Road is know as Fat Ass Boulevard or The Fat Mile.!

Del, not every cycling club has 2 spare motorbikes lying around who are willing to go out on every club spin. We don't all live on planet Del with 4 Jaguars and a stable full of racehorses. In fairness, sportives would and they are generally well marshalled and agreed with the local authorities. Also, the majority of adult cyclists do pay road tax. They just happen to own a bike also, the two are not mutually exclusive.

Clab Mor, cyclists legally have as much right to use the road as motorists. You seem to have an issue with this point but it is fact. As I said before, you are generalising over the antics of a small few and this men in lycra obsession you have is a little unhealthy.

I have no issue at all with cyclists using the road I am perfectly aware they have an equal entitlement.

The point I'm making as I was trying to stimulate debate is why should a sports cyclist have the right to take over a main road.

Owning a bike shouldn't give you an automatic entitlement to use the road as a sports cyclist.

Likewise owing a car doesn't give you an automatic entitlement to use the road for motor sports?

In my opinion main public roads should be reserved for travel/business/haulage/family etc either by car van truck bus OR BIKE but should not be congested by ............. wait for it........... middle aged fat men in lycra using it as a sports/recreation facility......................

PS....... if a fit female 30 something year old wants to cycle infront of me in lycra ill drive behind her ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

I have no issue at all with cyclists using the road I am perfectly aware they have an equal entitlement.

The point I'm making as I was trying to stimulate debate is why should a sports cyclist have the right to take over a main road.

Owning a bike shouldn't give you an automatic entitlement to use the road as a sports cyclist.

Likewise owing a car doesn't give you an automatic entitlement to use the road for motor sports?

In my opinion main public roads should be reserved for travel/business/haulage/family etc either by car van truck bus OR BIKE but should not be congested by ............. wait for it........... middle aged fat men in lycra using it as a sports/recreation facility......................

PS....... if a fit female 30 something year old wants to cycle infront of me in lycra ill drive behind her ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.....................................................................................

PS....... if a fit female 30 something year old wants to cycle infront of me in lycra ill drive behind her ALL DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Clab Mor , not if she gets in front of my car first! It is a tailback which could continue for miles !!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement