Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    no one takes any notice of the 'no exit' from St. John's onto Castle street, people do it all the time! It would make sense to have a no right turn into the church from Castle street, if people are trying to turn right, it usually causes delays with traffic behind not being able to move etc.

thats because of the people coming out of St. Johns ...which they are not supposed to :mad:
    Just plain bad driving in Tralee..i could go on about bad drivers in Tralee and other places too..but thats for a different thread

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭pickled101

I heard that the lane out of St Johns is a private road and the no exit is only a request not to go out that way.

Has anyone every got a ticket for driving the wrong way out?

Funerals go out that exit, are they exempt from one-way streets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

pickled101 wrote: »
    I heard that the lane out of St Johns is a private road and the no exit is only a request not to go out that way.

Has anyone every got a ticket for driving the wrong way out?

Funerals go out that exit, are they exempt from one-way streets?

They are in danger of creating a public right of way unless they block general access. Just put up the bollards at the car park entrance and problem solved!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

fatalll wrote: »
    thats because of the people coming out of St. Johns ...which they are not supposed to :mad:
    Just plain bad driving in Tralee..i could go on about bad drivers in Tralee and other places too..but thats for a different thread

If you are turning right from the town centre end of Castle St into the church, you can't turn right until the traffic coming from Upper Castle st into town centre is clear, which in turn causes delays for the traffic behind the car wanting to turn right.

Another really bad place for turning right is the junction at the Edward St junction for JJ. Sheehy road. There is no feeder light to turn right onto JJ. Sheehy road, so people get stuck and can only seem to turn right when the lights go red, a danger in itself! I emailed the council about it last year and the reply was that there wasn't enough room for a feeder light!? I don't think he was on the same page as me at all & probably thought I was talking about a different junction. There are feeder lights at the other 3 lights on that junction, so I can't see why you can't have one on the 4th!?

I think we actually should set up a thread for bad driving in Tralee....I could go on for days about it!!! lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

If you are turning right from the town centre end of Castle St into the church, you can't turn right until the traffic coming from Upper Castle st into town centre is clear, which in turn causes delays for the traffic behind the car wanting to turn right.

Another really bad place for turning right is the junction at the Edward St junction for JJ. Sheehy road. There is no feeder light to turn right onto JJ. Sheehy road, so people get stuck and can only seem to turn right when the lights go red, a danger in itself! I emailed the council about it last year and the reply was that there wasn't enough room for a feeder light!? I don't think he was on the same page as me at all & probably thought I was talking about a different junction. There are feeder lights at the other 3 lights on that junction, so I can't see why you can't have one on the 4th!?

I think we actually should set up a thread for bad driving in Tralee....I could go on for days about it!!! lol:D
    That would crash Boards and not just the Kerry forum:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

And not to mention roundabout behaviour. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Worth getting a dash cam. Hours of fun making funny videos of Tralee Drivers. How did these guys ever pass a driving test. The Tralee bypass must confuse them altogether. Perhaps that is why it appears under utilised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

And not to mention roundabout behaviour. :(
    The Spa Road roundabout.

Coming from Ardfert and turning right to head out to the Spa.

Its the most dangerous section of road i have ever driven on and i have driven in a lot of countries.

I am increasing my blood pressure even mentioning it:(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

not a frequent visitor because too far and could never find decent supermarkets with parking.

have been back and forth of late because of a broken wrist - hence the poor typing- and had a prescription from the hospital so was directed to manor. tesco! great!

hidden depths and without braving the centre...

5live wrote: »
    The Spa Road roundabout.

Coming from Ardfert and turning right to head out to the Spa.

Its the most dangerous section of road i have ever driven on and i have driven in a lot of countries.

I am increasing my blood pressure even mentioning it:(

I sense your frustration .

This afternoon I was moving out of Chapel Street towards Matt Talbot Road.

I could scarcely believe my eyes when a taxi crossed from Matt Talbot Road over the wrong side of the roundabout and went up Strand Street.

Within half an hour I witnessed what I believe the same taxi taking a short cut across the forecourt of Applegreen Services on Oakpark Road.

On this occasion the taxi was travelling down Brewery Road towards the junction with Oakpark Road. There was a car on Brewery Road trying to turn right, so the taxi shot into the Applegreen entrance and out the exit on Oakpark and continued in the direction of Listowel.

Thankfully no pedestrians were in his way or they would most certainly have been killed. Applegreen would be one of the smaller Services sites in Tralee, this behaviour is completely unacceptable in such a location.

To my disappointment my wife does not have a dash cam in her jeep , though perhaps Applegreen may have it on their CCTV. Furthermore I was disappointed that this driver was driving so aggressively.

He is a disgrace to his profession. I have always found Tralee Taxi drivers to be most courteous and professional in conducting their business.

Of course I managed to get his reg. no., which I will not post here. It was however a Renault Fluence. Perhaps if someone knows such a taxi driver they may like to have a quiet word in his ear before someone else does.

Like 5live my blood pressure became somewhat elevated.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    not a frequent visitor because too far and could never find decent supermarkets with parking.

have been back and forth of late because of a broken wrist - hence the poor typing- and had a prescription from the hospital so was directed to manor. tesco! great!

hidden depths and without braving the centre...

Have you tried Supervalu which has lots of parking at the rear.

You don't know what you are missing by not venturing into Tralee Town Centre. Umpteen restaurants, cafes to suit all tastes and budgets. Boutiques, footwear shops, sports shops, wine shops, art gallery, County Museum ...............to mention a small selection of Tralees offerings .

When next in Tralee try parking in Garvey's Supervalu car park or alternatively park outside " Small Tesco" just off the Square. Worth a try !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Is there such a thing as a Tralee Munster rugby supporters club that sells tickets and organises buses up to Thomand Park?

Have you tried Supervalu which has lots of parking at the rear.

You don't know what you are missing by not venturing into Tralee Town Centre. Umpteen restaurants, cafes to suit all tastes and budgets. Boutiques, footwear shops, sports shops, wine shops, art gallery, County Museum ...............to mention a small selection of Tralees offerings .

When next in Tralee try parking in Garvey's Supervalu car park or alternatively park outside " Small Tesco" just off the Square. Worth a try !

thank you for such a kind reply.

i dont shop at supervalu and yes found the small tesco when i was looking for v de paul furniture. which i also found. i have very limited mobility and strength,dont eat out etc so town centres are not for me. a big tesco with good disabled parking is all i need. am only in tralee for hospital appointments and hopefully next week will be the last...happy else with killarney.

is there a really good hardware shop in manor? looking for 25mm split rings in quantity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a Tralee Munster rugby supporters club that sells tickets and organises buses up to Thomand Park?

Not officially as far as I'm aware, but the greyhound bar sometimes did that

Not officially as far as I'm aware, but the greyhound bar sometimes did that

Thanks, I' ll just get them online id say.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Graces7 wrote: »
    thank you for such a kind reply.

i dont shop at supervalu and yes found the small tesco when i was looking for v de paul furniture. which i also found. i have very limited mobility and strength,dont eat out etc so town centres are not for me. a big tesco with good disabled parking is all i need. am only in tralee for hospital appointments and hopefully next week will be the last...happy else with killarney.

is there a really good hardware shop in manor? looking for 25mm split rings in quantity...

Woodies is in Manor retail park

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Thanks, I' ll just get them online id say.

Yeah, will be a load of tickets available for the game against Ulster next week. It might be worth your while joining the MRSC as an associate member. Costs €30 & you get offered tickets before Joe public & discounts on merchandise etc in Thomond park

Woodies is in Manor retail park

ah heard about woodies...thank you! :)

Yeah, will be a load of tickets available for the game against Ulster next week. It might be worth your while joining the MRSC as an associate member. Costs €30 & you get offered tickets before Joe public & discounts on merchandise etc in Thomond park

Thanks, was for my dad, just got the ticket for the game for next week but that MRSC sounds like its worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Hi all, my nephew's pup vanished last night around the cloghers/caherweesheen area, (Friday) between 7pm and 8pm.
    It's a Husky, about 6 month old and it has piercing blue eyes.
    Please PM me if you hear or see anything, Thank you

10290645_748827398495398_302150682465713315_n.jpg

• Advertisement

tfer wrote: »
    Hi all, my nephew's pup vanished last night around the cloghers/caherweesheen area, (Friday) between 7pm and 8pm.
    It's a Husky, about 6 month old and it has piercing blue eyes.
    Please PM me if you hear or see anything, Thank you

10290645_748827398495398_302150682465713315_n.jpg

Have just seen on facebook that a husky was found last night
    Tralee buy sell swap group

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭tfer

Its okay, call off the search party, the dog was picked up last night and is being returned as i type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

tfer wrote: »
    Its okay, call off the search party, the dog was picked up last night and is being returned as i type

ALL UNITS. Stand down.

very sad news that little Liam Heffernan who had battens disease passed away. He is the son of Tony & Mary, who also lost their daughter Saoirse to the same disease in 2010. Condolences to the family. RIP Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 17 harper7

Anyone know of someone travelling Tralee to Newcastle west direction daily that would be will to give lift mon~fri .will split costs please pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

I got into my car this morning and realised I had forgotten to lock my front door. I got out of the car to go lock the front door and to my amusement I realised I did actually lock it. As I had a crafty little chuckle to myself the words better to be safe than sorry sprang to mind.
    I decided since it was a nice quiet Sunday morning I would take a drive through Town. At a nice steady pace I drove down through the Rock and came to a stop at a red light. Looking over my right shoulder I gazed over at Galvins shop and wondered who is running that place now. But before I had time to figure it out the light had turned green and off I went.
    No sooner had I gone into 3rd gear I had to come to a stop again at the pedestrian crossing outside Garveys Supervalu. Nobody was crossing,it seems some young no gooders had pressed the button as they walked past. I didnt mind as I wasnt really in a rush to go anywhere and it gave me time to see how much of a shame it is that the Brogue Inn is closed down.
    Driving up through the Mall,there wasnt a sinner about. Taxis were all in the usual place but plenty of parking across the way which is always a strange sight because its normally a nightmare to get parking there.
    I got to the roundabout outside AIB and had to stop as there was a car coming towards me indicating that he was turning off to the right and for some strange reason they seem to have the right of way.
    What time do the pubs open on a Sunday?
    Anyway it was too early for the pub and too late for mass. The lights were green outside St Johns which made a nice change,actually made my Sunday,well it didnt really but you know what I mean.Its the little things.
    Up through Castle St I went to the top of Boherbue getting stuck behind a cyclist. I didnt mind as they have every right to be on the road as well. I saw my chance to overtake and took it just outside where Buy-Lo used to be.
    I had a clear run on the roundabout at Austin Stack park,whats the name of that roundabout by the way?
    Anyway I seem to be getting away from the point. Why do we need so many roundabouts up that side of town?

The right to vote is a very important one. Everyone should at least exercise that right and vote on polling day.
    it is a right to vote not compulsion to vote..freedom of choice.
    includes right to abstain....unless you want the situation in eg israel where it is compulsory and rigidly enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Sully34 wrote: »
    I got into my car this morning and realised I had forgotten to lock my front door. I got out of the car to go lock the front door and to my amusement I realised I did actually lock it. As I had a crafty little chuckle to myself the words better to be safe than sorry sprang to mind.
    I decided since it was a nice quiet Sunday morning I would take a drive through Town. At a nice steady pace I drove down through the Rock and came to a stop at a red light. Looking over my right shoulder I gazed over at Galvins shop and wondered who is running that place now. But before I had time to figure it out the light had turned green and off I went.
    No sooner had I gone into 3rd gear I had to come to a stop again at the pedestrian crossing outside Garveys Supervalu. Nobody was crossing,it seems some young no gooders had pressed the button as they walked past. I didnt mind as I wasnt really in a rush to go anywhere and it gave me time to see how much of a shame it is that the Brogue Inn is closed down.
    Driving up through the Mall,there wasnt a sinner about. Taxis were all in the usual place but plenty of parking across the way which is always a strange sight because its normally a nightmare to get parking there.
    I got to the roundabout outside AIB and had to stop as there was a car coming towards me indicating that he was turning off to the right and for some strange reason they seem to have the right of way.
    What time do the pubs open on a Sunday?
    Anyway it was too early for the pub and too late for mass. The lights were green outside St Johns which made a nice change,actually made my Sunday,well it didnt really but you know what I mean.Its the little things.
    Up through Castle St I went to the top of Boherbue getting stuck behind a cyclist. I didnt mind as they have every right to be on the road as well. I saw my chance to overtake and took it just outside where Buy-Lo used to be.
    I had a clear run on the roundabout at Austin Stack park,whats the name of that roundabout by the way?
    Anyway I seem to be getting away from the point. Why do we need so many roundabouts up that side of town?

I'd imagine that's what the Beatles' day in the life song would have sounded like if they didn't have talent.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'd imagine that's what the Beatles' day in the life song would have sounded like if they didn't have talent.

I was thinking more along the lines of Hunter S Thompson & his writings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Sully34 wrote: »
    Why do we need so many roundabouts up that side of town?

Its better than having lights unnecessarily stopping you on a timer when there is no traffic to speak of!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement