Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Graces7 wrote: »
    it is a right to vote not compulsion to vote..freedom of choice.
    includes right to abstain....unless you want the situation in eg israel where it is compulsory and rigidly enforced.

I merely said everyone should exercise their right to vote. Compulsion to vote or forcing people to vote, respectfully I did not suggest

People have the right to spoil their vote.

Ironically not voting is a sign of complete apathy, and is in effect a vote for the "opposition", irrespective of political views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice here. We can vote for the Fianna Fail muppets or the Fianna Gael muppets. Labour are a spent force, Sinn Fein will never be in govt. So I find myself looking at independent candidates & what they are able to do for us at a local level.
    There's a couple of choices like Sammy Locke & Thomas Collins.....but slim pickings after that

Unfortunately, we don't have much of a choice here. We can vote for the Fianna Fail muppets or the Fianna Gael muppets. Labour are a spent force, Sinn Fein will never be in govt. So I find myself looking at independent candidates & what they are able to do for us at a local level.
    There's a couple of choices like Sammy Locke & Thomas Collins.....but slim pickings after that

I guess it is up to each individual to vote for the candidate who may best represent you and your area.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ironically not voting is a sign of complete apathy, and is in effect a vote for the "opposition", irrespective of political views.

Not voting is not voting for the 'opposition'. Its a 'none of the above' including the opposition, or a silent 'spoilt vote' in effect.

In many ways people staying away from the polls suits the incumbent powers as those most disaffected with the current political system are those most likely to abstain from the polls. The common comment of 'why vote when nothing is going to change' is the worst kind of cop out because the one way of ensuring that nothing will change is for people not to vote!

I have voted in every single election and referendum since I was 18, which is circa two and half decades ago (although I do not look my age :)). I have not missed a single poll in the last circa 25 years.

PS I seen Sam Locke people putting up some posters this morning. They are nothing if not committed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

kn wrote: »
    Not voting is not voting for the 'opposition'. Its a 'none of the above' including the opposition, or a silent 'spoilt vote' in effect.

In many ways people staying away from the polls suits the incumbent powers as those most disaffected with the current political system are those most likely to abstain from the polls. The common comment of 'why vote when nothing is going to change' is the worst kind of cop out because the one way of ensuring that nothing will change is for people not to vote!

I have voted in every single election and referendum since I was 18, which is circa two and half decades ago (although I do not look my age :)). I have not missed a single poll in the last circa 25 years.
    Thats true up to a point.

When canvassers come around to an area, they know who in that area votes and, to a certain degree, who they vote for.

I had occasion in the recent past to lobby our sitting TDs on a matter of great importance to members of an organisation i was heading at the time. One sitting TD refused to even entertain a meeting with 3 of us because we didn't vote for him in the last election.

We hadn't. But the majority of the people we represented had. When we reported back to them the reception we received from this TD they swore they would never vote for him again. And didn't. He lost his seat in the next election.

The point of my story is not voting will have no advantage for those who stay at home because elected representatives will place great emphasis on those who vote and relatively little on those who don't. And if you vote, you will have a chance to change or keep those who represent you and your issues. If none suit you then spoil your vote as it will give you leverage to influence change. Not voting is pretty much the same as living abroad, you have no influence on what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

With the demise of the UDC which candidate(s) will put the needs of the town first?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

With the demise of the UDC which candidate(s) will put the needs of the town first?

I can't imagine how its going to work when the UDC is gone. Merging it all into one makes me think delays, not being able to get things done, not getting things done in the town that etc. How is it going to work? Will there be different departments within the council, looking after different areas?
    I spoke with someone high up in the town council in January & even they didn't know how it was all going to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

well, drew a blank at woodies re 25mm split rings for the beaded angel keyrings i make to sell. will it seems have to continue sending to the us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 MidlandBlowin

Hey Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good Physio in town that isn't going to break the bank? I suppose down the line of sports injuries.

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

Hey Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good Physio in town that isn't going to break the bank? I suppose down the line of sports injuries.

Micheál Lynch in Ashe st is good. Used him for achilles problems & toe injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Graces7 wrote: »
    well, drew a blank at woodies re 25mm split rings for the beaded angel keyrings i make to sell. will it seems have to continue sending to the us.

I know you didn't want town centre but if they are anywhere I would try small Benners in Bridge St or would the Hobby Shop in Castle Street have them if they are craft based items, maybe ring them both first to save yourself a journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Anyone know where I would get old scaffolding boards to make some raised beds, looked in all the small ads in Kerrys Eye etc, probably need them delivered if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

phormium wrote: »
    Anyone know where I would get old scaffolding boards to make some raised beds, looked in all the small ads in Kerrys Eye etc, probably need them delivered if possible.

Did you ring around the local Garden Centres? they might be able to help,

I spotted this seller in Cork selling them on Done Deal

http://www.donedeal.ie/gardenplants-for-sale/raised-beds-scaffolding-boards/6866242

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

there have been 5 or 6 camper vans parked up in Slatt's carpark for the past few days. We rang the Gardai about it on Sunday, they said 'they would send a car around'. Still there this morning, rubbish everywhere. Kids were left running around the carpark, while cars drive in & out of there regularly, so very dangerous. A lot of people were complaining about them last night & apparently they were moved on from another area of town a few days before.
    Must go check if there are still there, and if so I'm straight onto the council.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    there have been 5 or 6 camper vans parked up in Slatt's carpark for the past few days. We rang the Gardai about it on Sunday, they said 'they would send a car around'. Still there this morning, rubbish everywhere. Kids were left running around the carpark, while cars drive in & out of there regularly, so very dangerous. A lot of people were complaining about them last night & apparently they were moved on from another area of town a few days before.
    Must go check if there are still there, and if so I'm straight onto the council.

Haven't been that way in a while, but for over 3 weeks now there have been approx 4 camper vans parked to the left of the Ashe hall, no sign if them moving.

Haven't been that way in a while, but for over 3 weeks now there have been approx 4 camper vans parked to the left of the Ashe hall, no sign if them moving.

I think they were the ones someone told me about last night & that they moved up to Boherbee carpark, so not sure if they are indeed the same lot. How have they been allowed to even be parked up by the Ashe hall for so long??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Hey Guys,

I recommend Tara Timlin in Oakpark. She was the physio for the Kerry team so sports type injuries are her speciality!

I think they were the ones someone told me about last night & that they moved up to Boherbee carpark, so not sure if they are indeed the same lot. How have they been allowed to even be parked up by the Ashe hall for so long??

It needs a court order to move them
    Gardai can't just roll in & start hauling people out, men women & children inside those campers. Trampling on human rights etc.
    The softly softly approach is nearly always the one adopted in these situations

It needs a court order to move them
    Gardai can't just roll in & start hauling people out, men women & children inside those campers. Trampling on human rights etc.
    The softly softly approach is nearly always the one adopted in these situations

they have all left Slatts carpark as of this evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,558 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

very sad news that little Liam Heffernan who had battens disease passed away. He is the son of Tony & Mary, who also lost their daughter Saoirse to the same disease in 2010. Condolences to the family. RIP Liam

RIP

they have all left Slatts carpark as of this evening!

All is well that ends well!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭kaji

Is there anywhere safe and preferably cheap/free to park a car near the Bons hospital? I have to go to the hospital and won't be allowed to drive home so will have to leave it in Tralee overnight. Would appreciate any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

kaji wrote: »
    Is there anywhere safe and preferably cheap/free to park a car near the Bons hospital? I have to go to the hospital and won't be allowed to drive home so will have to leave it in Tralee overnight. Would appreciate any help.

The bons might give you an overnight rate for their own car park. Might be more secure there.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

I had two visits to the bons in the last 6 months - you will be in excellent hands. Best of luck with your procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Someone on here was looking for poultry a while back. I've forgotten their username and am too tired to go looking.

FYI Kellihers in Clash have a poultry sale next saturday from 10 till 1. PM if you need help finding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Day place outside the Dominicans is very safe overnight. The traffic wardens are very active there during the day so make sure you have a ticket up during working hours.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Day place outside the Dominicans is very safe overnight. The traffic wardens are very active there during the day so make sure you have a ticket up during working hours.
    Just across the road from the Garda station as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭adam88

groovie wrote: »
    The bons might give you an overnight rate for their own car park. Might be more secure there.

Just roll up the the machine and press the help button. They'll leave you out cause they'll think your staff. Shhhhhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Poker Face

anyone have contact details for a guy who can fix laptops who i think is based in the tralee shopping center next to small benners. cant dinf any details on web for him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement