Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The Abbey have some of the most rude & ignorant door staff. I haven't been there since November & won't be back anytime soon due to them ruining my birthday night out & even after a complaint to them from me by email through their FB page (which I saw a read receipt with the time & date), they never replied. I've heard so many stories of how they treat customers, and none are good. They would want to start copping on a lot! I think they forget that its the customers who are keeping them open!!

Fair comment. TBH ,I never set foot in the place. Always looked like a dump from the outside, friends advised it was definitely not for me.:P

Don't worry Ciarrai, next birthday have your party in your house,invite your friends from Boards and we will bring your favourite M&S cakes.:)
    I can also recommend Castle Off Licence, to supply the drinks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

The Abbey have some of the most rude & ignorant door staff. I haven't been there since November & won't be back anytime soon due to them ruining my birthday night out & even after a complaint to them from me by email through their FB page (which I saw a read receipt with the time & date), they never replied. I've heard so many stories of how they treat customers, and none are good. They would want to start copping on a lot! I think they forget that its the customers who are keeping them open!!
    A few years ago, they closed the doors while I was out having a cigarette, my jacket was left inside and they wouldn't let me back in. After about 45 mins, I managed to talk my way inside to get my jacket and found the guy picking glasses (now working the door) rifling through a pile of coats, looking for phones or wallets I suppose. Hardly been back there since

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

A few years ago, they closed the doors while I was out having a cigarette, my jacket was left inside and they wouldn't let me back in. After about 45 mins, I managed to talk my way inside to get my jacket and found the guy picking glasses (now working the door) rifling through a pile of coats, looking for phones or wallets I suppose. Hardly been back there since

a girl I know told me a similar story, that she was out with her drink having a cig & they closed the doors & wouldn't let her back in (she was at a private party upstairs as it was!). Eventually she had to call her friend inside to get him to come out with her jacket!

a girl I know told me a similar story, that she was out with her drink having a cig & they closed the doors & wouldn't let her back in (she was at a private party upstairs as it was!). Eventually she had to call her friend inside to get him to come out with her jacket!
    I didn't mind so much getting locked out, its the attempted theft that really p1ssed me off.

I believe the only way the owners of the Abbey will learn, is when customers like Ciarrai ,Counterlock and others vote with their feet. They do not deserve a customers patronage if they obviously have no policy of Customer Care.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Just to clarify...

Up until a few years ago the Abbey was a dump, a real kip, sawdust on the floor, dim lighting... and was one of the best pubs in town [imho] great atmosphere, live music and cans.

A couple of years ago it was renovated, now it is clean, nice wooden panel and a fancy chandelier... but has no live music, ignorant door staff and €5 door tax and no cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

kingdumb wrote: »
    Just to clarify...

Up until a few years ago the Abbey was a dump, a real kip, sawdust on the floor, dim lighting... and was one of the best pubs in town [imho] great atmosphere, live music and cans.

A couple of years ago it was renovated, now it is clean, nice wooden panel and a fancy chandelier... but has no live music, ignorant door staff and €5 door tax and no cans.

Good auld progress eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

kingdumb wrote: »
    Just to clarify...

And Bono isn't even sweeping the floors anymore! :)

PS I suspect the 'early' charging of the €5 cover charge could be a scam by the door staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭flanders1979

I hate the long trek to the jacks in that pub. I hate it even more when the toilet attendant is canvassing for tips.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I hate the long trek to the jacks in that pub. I hate it even more when the toilet attendant is canvassing for tips.

is that toilet attendant thing still happening? It seemed to start in the 'boom' years of the celtic tiger and I always hated it. It felt like the most degrading job for someone to have. I can't believe places still do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭geewhizz

How can the 5 euro be a scam by the door staff as they are hardly charging without the knowledge of the owners....like I say if everyone in town refused to pay then they would be left with no choice but to stop charging....and the old abbey was great defo don't enjoy the new abbey

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

God ya,that annoys the sh1te out of me as well,in the old Abbey at least the jacks were on the same floor level as the bar

That attempt of a dance floor is another thing that bugs me,put the dance floor in the narrowest part of the pub between two bars,that doesn't make sense to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

It closed on Thursday, unfortunately.

Honestly, I've spent close to a week listening to person after person around this great town of ours, sympathetically lament the loss of the great Brogue Inn. 'Ah such a pity, it was an institution', 'God, another one down, terrible for the Kirby family, they're all so nice' and on and on.

Yet for the last year at least, The Brogue has been virtually empty for both day and night trade. I know, because I actually know the Kirby family well and went there regularly.

So, next time people think about rambling on about how great a loss it is for this town, maybe ask yourselves if you did everything to support a failing business when it needed it most?

And by the way, apologies to Ciarrai76 for singling out the post, just a sample of many.

With most people drinking at home most pubs are only busy for around 2hrs on a sat night go out in town on any other night and the pubs are empty,,,,,,people do say its cheaper to drink at home but if pubs were making lots of money they wouldn't be closing as it costs so much to run them they have to charge a certain level of price to stay open....there will be a lt more closures and people will say ooohhh that's a shame but when a place closes ask ur self was it really a surprise and the real answer is no,,,the brogue will not be the last well known/ landmark pub to close ,,,,I could think of at least 10 more that will follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaveTheSpic

First time poster to this board, but with all this Abbey bashing I have to add my own two cents! :)

A couple of years ago I was outside in the smoking area and a fight broke out inside the bar. The two involved were being thrown out by the bouncers and I noted one of them had a shocked look on his face as to say "why am I being thrown out?". Anyway, they threw them both out as a squad car was passing and of course they naturally stopped to check what was going on. The shocked guys friend was pleading with one of the bouncers that he didn't do anything and to please let him back in. When the cops turned their back on them, this bouncer put his hands to his face and let out a yell of pain, the cops turned and automatically assumed that this guys friend has punched the bouncer and arrested him. He didn't touch him!!

Thankfully this scumbag isn't working the door anymore (or at least I don't think he is!) but it left me with a sour taste in my mouth about the place ever since!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

First time poster to this board, but with all this Abbey bashing I have to add my own two cents! :)

A couple of years ago I was outside in the smoking area and a fight broke out inside the bar. The two involved were being thrown out by the bouncers and I noted one of them had a shocked look on his face as to say "why am I being thrown out?". Anyway, they threw them both out as a squad car was passing and of course they naturally stopped to check what was going on. The shocked guys friend was pleading with one of the bouncers that he didn't do anything and to please let him back in. When the cops turned their back on them, this bouncer put his hands to his face and let out a yell of pain, the cops turned and automatically assumed that this guys friend has punched the bouncer and arrested him. He didn't touch him!!

Thankfully this scumbag isn't working the door anymore (or at least I don't think he is!) but it left me with a sour taste in my mouth about the place ever since!

And did you tell the guard this?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭DaveTheSpic

And did you tell the guard this?
    To be honest with you it happened so quickly that I didn't have time to tell him. I did however hear a number of other people, who witnessed what happened and were closer to the incident, complain to the guards that he didn't hit him but they weren't having any of it.

Carraig95 wrote: »
    Honestly, I've spent close to a week listening to person after person around this great town of ours, sympathetically lament the loss of the great Brogue Inn. 'Ah such a pity, it was an institution', 'God, another one down, terrible for the Kirby family, they're all so nice' and on and on.

Yet for the last year at least, The Brogue has been virtually empty for both day and night trade. I know, because I actually know the Kirby family well and went there regularly.

So, next time people think about rambling on about how great a loss it is for this town, maybe ask yourselves if you did everything to support a failing business when it needed it most?

And by the way, apologies to Ciarrai76 for singling out the post, just a sample of many.

Yes it is regrettable to see such an institution closing their doors. Sadly it is a sign of the times.
    I'm not sure what you expect individuals to actually do to help ailing businesses.?
    It is not that long ago I had coffee with a friend in The Brogue, ironically we were the only customers in the place. Sadly the Brogue was in a downwards spiral over the last 3/4 years.
    Like many others who are suffering falling numbers in terms of patronage, it is only a matter of time before we see some other establishments taking similar action.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭traleespud

Carraig95 wrote: »

I'm sorry but the closing of the Brogue wasn't down to the people of Tralee simply not supporting it?? You make it sound like there was a boycott against it or something!!

Stories like this are all too familiar in every town and village in the country. Most working class people simply cannot afford to splash out on non essential luxuries like nights out, evening meals or even eating out during there lunch breaks (I've been bringing my own lunch to work for months having previously eaten in town every day, including the brogue quiet regularly)

Just because someone can't support a particular establishment doesn't mean that they wouldn't be shocked or sympathetic to hear of its demise. Naturally enough after 36 years of trading most people are going to be sympathetic.

The working class people of Tralee and beyond are at breaking point and unfortunately this has a knock on effect on many industries throughout Ireland.

This is a national problem NOT a local one!!!

traleespud wrote: »
    I'm sorry but the closing of the Brogue wasn't down to the people of Tralee simply not supporting it?? You make it sound like there was a boycott against it or something!!

Stories like this are all too familiar in every town and village in the country. Most working class people simply cannot afford to splash out on non essential luxuries like nights out, evening meals or even eating out during there lunch breaks (I've been bringing my own lunch to work for months having previously eaten in town every day, including the brogue quiet regularly)

Just because someone can't support a particular establishment doesn't mean that they wouldn't be shocked or sympathetic to hear of its demise. Naturally enough after 36 years of trading most people are going to be sympathetic.

The working class people of Tralee and beyond are at breaking point and unfortunately this has a knock on effect on many industries throughout Ireland.

Agree totally with your post. I see it on a daily basis throughout the country, businesses, not only pubs, who have been trading for generations closing down.
    Perhaps it is a shock to locals who have been familiar with the Business Names for 30 or more years .It is certainly a National problem. I would also add that it is not just an Irish problem, rather an International problem

• Advertisement

traleespud wrote: »

pretty much what I was thinking!
    We never go out to a pub anymore, last time I was out was for my sister's birthday in February! We haven't had a holiday in 4 years, and I also bring my lunch to work these days!
    I would love to be able to go out again etc, but the pubs don't make it easy for themselves & unfortunately there will be many more closures in the next year if things don't improve, which isn't likely.
    I was speaking to a couple of different publicans, who said the Sat night before last weekend was DEAD in town, they even used the words they were bored!
    Its so scary to hear these stories, but that's the reality and not many people have money. I am personally dreading this summer as our mortgage tax relief ends, property tax starts & mortgage payments increase. Its awful and I'm so sick of it, but this is the reason why so many businesses are so quiet, no one has money to spend :(

pretty much what I was thinking!
    We never go out to a pub anymore, last time I was out was for my sister's birthday in February! We haven't had a holiday in 4 years, and I also bring my lunch to work these days!
    I would love to be able to go out again etc, but the pubs don't make it easy for themselves & unfortunately there will be many more closures in the next year if things don't improve, which isn't likely.
    I was speaking to a couple of different publicans, who said the Sat night before last weekend was DEAD in town, they even used the words they were bored!
    Its so scary to hear these stories, but that's the reality and not many people have money. I am personally dreading this summer as our mortgage tax relief ends, property tax starts & mortgage payments increase. Its awful and I'm so sick of it, but this is the reason why so many businesses are so quiet, no one has money to spend :(

Agree, people don't have the spare money for a night out, holiday etc. we are living with economic uncertainty on a daily basis.
    The expectation and realisation of a good Summer may help lift the gloom and renew some confidence in Consumer spending:) The gloom is everywhere, people afraid to spend money even if they have spare cash. Fear of property tax, water tax in 2014....... It really is time for the Government to help create a confidence whereby the nation can start spending a bit more money in order that we may spend our country out of recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I'll be fine out if I can just find a wealthy woman to Marry!
    Any offers?

Jokes aside, it is a tough time for publicans in town. Seems night life in Tralee is getting worst by the week.

Pubs are no different than individuals in the country. Many of them over-reached during the good times and are now paying the price for it. If you any of you have passed the Lanterns in Tarbert recently, its begining to look like the hotel in the Shining. Its been years since I was in the Brogue but if the outside is anything to go by, then the next tennant will need to put in a lot of work to bring the place up to scratch.

Speaking of over-reaching, you don't need a Delorean for time travel any more - you can travel back 8 years by going into the nightjar.

I'll be fine out if I can just find a wealthy woman to Marry!
    Any offers?

Jokes aside, it is a tough time for publicans in town. Seems night life in Tralee is getting worst by the week.

Marrying a wealthy lady may be the start of your problems......

Night life in Tralee and indeed most towns is almost nonexistent.

On the contrary I was in Dublin last week to attend a number of meetings. The Financial Services Centre, restaurants , bars, hotels, were reminiscent of the days of the Celtic Tiger. A different world ! Perhaps they know something or else nobody told them the game is over:)

Nightjar should have been called Lazarus as we are watching a modern day resurrection

Pubs are no different than individuals in the country. Many of them over-reached during the good times and are now paying the price for it. If you any of you have passed the Lanterns in Tarbert recently, its begining to look like the hotel in the Shining. Its been years since I was in the Brogue but if the outside is anything to go by, then the next tennant will need to put in a lot of work to bring the place up to scratch.

Speaking of over-reaching, you don't need a Delorean for time travel any more - you can travel back 8 years by going into the nightjar.

Perhaps Carchaeologist has not been looking in the Nightjar for his wealthy woman?:)

geewhizz wrote: »
    Nightjar should have been called Lazarus as we are watching a modern day resurrection
    More like Jesus than Lazarus - back for a good time, not a long time

geewhizz wrote: »

Well if they can manage to get the punters in, to part with some money ,and help create some necessary jobs, they must have the right formula.

• Advertisement

More like Jesus than Lazarus - back for a good time, not a long time

Ahem..... perhaps that is the formula?:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement