Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

What The Tidy Towns Judges Said About Tralee…

http://traleetoday.ie/tidy-towns-judges-said-tralee/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

What The Tidy Towns Judges Said About Tralee…

http://traleetoday.ie/tidy-towns-judges-said-tralee/

Was just about to post the very same thing! Great news for the town retaining the Gold medal! Well done to everyone involved in keeping the town looking so well. Lets hope those who have no consideration for where they litter start making more of an effort! Including school kids, many of whom don't seem to know how to use a bin! I witnessed school kids throw their rubbish right outside a shop in town, despite the fact they were actually standing beside a bin! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Redirection

Genuine question

Tralee seems like a lovely place, very scenic and beautiful :)

However I am wondering how non-white tourists are received in the area?
    Not stating that there are any issues with race, but would like genuine feedback from locals of all backgounds on how short term visitors are made welcome (or not) especially if they have darker skin complextions who are travelling solo or in small groups? and if there are gender differences?

Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Boards is a discussion site, it's not a research tool

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Genuine question

Not stating that there are any issues with race, but would like genuine feedback from locals of all backgounds on how short term visitors are made welcome (or not) especially if they have darker skin complextions who are travelling solo or in small groups? and if there are gender differences?

Thanks in advance!

Questions like this are not suitable for the boards. We can't have any sort of racial discussions started here. Tralee welcomes all races, ethnicity's and people from any country. Lets leave it at that ok?
    MOD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I just came across this article from the Irish Independent from a few weeks ago that focuses on Tralee's struggle with the recession. It makes for some depressing reading but it does end on a positive note about some of the more recent improvements and the "can do" spirit. It also points out how Tralee lacks a proper social scene for 20 somethings and how bus loads of them head to Killarney for their nights out. Worth a read!

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/can-the-towns-of-rural-ireland-rise-once-again-30509670.html

Interesting to hear if others on Boards feel this article is an accurate reflection on the reality in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Genuine question

Thanks in advance!

There is a huge cross section of people of all races, religions and persuasions living in Tralee. Probably one of the most diverse places in Ireland outside of the cities!!

On a different note - can anyone tell me of a pub in town that serves Tom Crean's Lager on draught??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

ongarboy wrote: »
    I just came across this article from the Irish Independent from a few weeks ago that focuses on Tralee's struggle with the recession. It makes for some depressing reading but it does end on a positive note about some of the more recent improvements and the "can do" spirit. It also points out how Tralee lacks a proper social scene for 20 somethings and how bus loads of them head to Killarney for their nights out. Worth a read!

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/can-the-towns-of-rural-ireland-rise-once-again-30509670.html

Interesting to hear if others on Boards feel this article is an accurate reflection on the reality in town?

It's a bit heavy handed as is typical by the independent who seem to wheel out the same old yarn every Rose of Tralee.
    Although the crowds getting busses to Killarney is very true.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

There is a huge cross section of people of all races, religions and persuasions living in Tralee. Probably one of the most diverse places in Ireland outside of the cities!!

On a different note - can anyone tell me of a pub in town that serves Tom Crean's Lager on draught??

I think Roundys does?

I don't think any pub in is selling it on draught! The Stationhouse was selling it before it closed, but since then I haven't heard of anywhere else that has it. Sold in bottles in off-licence though ;)

• Advertisement

shergar22 wrote: »
    I think Roundys does?

oh yeah, maybe they do! I know they are doing a bit of craft beers, which is great to see. Can't for the life of me understand why other bars in town aren't doing craft beers! Fair play to Roundy's for giving it a go!

one thing mentioned in that article is about the industrial plants closing. My hubby & I drive up Clash regularly and we often comment on why that area has just been left idle, with so many empty buildings, why has nothing gone into them, or why has nothing been done there?
    We even said why doesn't the likes of a cash & carry go in there, like Cliffords. There is plenty of space, especially compared to where they are based in Basin view. It is sad to see nothing being done there, just left idle.

Try the Blasket as well I think they have it.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    one thing mentioned in that article is about the industrial plants closing. My hubby & I drive up Clash regularly and we often comment on why that area has just been left idle, with so many empty buildings, why has nothing gone into them, or why has nothing been done there?
    We even said why doesn't the likes of a cash & carry go in there, like Cliffords. There is plenty of space, especially compared to where they are based in Basin view. It is sad to see nothing being done there, just left idle.

Do you know how much Amman were paying in rates? While the amount wouldn't be anywhere near as much, it's still roo high for anybody to take a chance I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Try Tennants, Creans is brewed by them, at least the bottles anyway. The draught is brewed in Dingle.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Anyone know where I might be able to pick up a trailer of cheap topsoil around Tralee

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Anyone know where I might be able to pick up a trailer of cheap topsoil around Tralee

Once upon a time topsoil was easy to get with so many houses been built,now though you could be searching a while and probably is more expensive now as well,try the Done Deal link below

http://www.donedeal.ie/find/all/for-sale/Kerry/topsoil

A new beauty salon has opened in the Mall, just above the Paco store, called 'Divalicious'. Best of luck to the proprietor!

Ryles have closed their store on Castle street & are about to re-open in their new store in Ashe Street sometime next week I think.

Seen in the Outlook today that there is a new supply store open up in Clash next to Total Cleaning Supplies,Star Superstore its called.

Seen in the Outlook today that there is a new supply store open up in Clash next to Total Cleaning Supplies,Star Superstore its called.

Kieran Donaghy has left the bank? :)

• Advertisement

Kieran Donaghy has left the bank? :)

Where is he going

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Star Superstore :)

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Where is he going

I'm not half as funny as I thought I was ;)

I'm not half as funny as I thought I was ;)

Im gonna go bury my head somewhere for a while :o:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Always knew them Cork lads were slow :)

Saw that too, can't quite make out what type of place it is!? Is it open to the public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Saw that too, can't quite make out what type of place it is!? Is it open to the public?

It is, I was up there a few times for some fishing gear. Reasonably priced but small enough stock. It's just a warehouse with one guy running it I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Burger King must be doing well in Tralee. I see they've now extended their opening hours to 24 hours at the weekends and have extra seating (according to their banner outside by Landers).

Would Boardsies agree? I was only in it once on a bank holiday Sunday evening and it was just us and one other couple eating there which didnt suggest a roaring trade! The McDs across the way always seems packed though.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Burger King must be doing well in Tralee. I see they've now extended their opening hours to 24 hours at the weekends and have extra seating (according to their banner outside by Landers).

Would Boardsies agree? I was only in it once on a bank holiday Sunday evening and it was just us and one other couple eating there which didnt suggest a roaring trade! The McDs across the way always seems packed though.

I haven't even been in there yet, in fact I was never even in Rocky Mountain! I have heard and read bad reviews about that particular Burger King. I actually forget its there half the time, its too hidden off the road in my opinion. You see McDonalds from both directions before you see Burger King!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

I refuse to go in there. Was only there twice and the second time I waited, ignored, at the drive thru for 15 mins. Disgraceful service that seems to be the norm on the drive thru. I've only heard complaints from people being left waiting ages and when they do get food it is served cold/lukewarm. McDonalds must be laughing all the way to the bank.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement