Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

I have been there twice both times through the drive through. The first time was fine but the second time I got cold chips and barely half a chicken wrap so wont be going there again. I liked Rocky Mountains food but their service was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Genuine question

Tralee seems like a lovely place, very scenic and beautiful :)

However I am wondering how non-white tourists are received in the area?
    Not stating that there are any issues with race, but would like genuine feedback from locals of all backgounds on how short term visitors are made welcome (or not) especially if they have darker skin complextions who are travelling solo or in small groups? and if there are gender differences?

Thanks in advance!

WE are well used to tourists so being different is not treated as being a big deal
    we have middle eastern students going up to the college for the last few years preparing for premed in other Irish colleges we have had spanish and french students coming here to learn English for as long as I can remember. There are plenty of pakistani middle eastern and African doctors working in the hospitals in town and their children are in school here.

basically you will be treated as 'tourists' your custom will be very much
    appreciated.

Sure you'll be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Noticed the other day that the multi-storey car park on Edward St now has a SOLD sign Hopefully a sign of an improving local economy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Noticed the other day that the multi-storey car park on Edward St now has a SOLD sign Hopefully a sign of an improving local economy

It was built at a time when the tax incentives for multi-storey car parks were fabulous. I think you could write off about half the construction cost against your income tax so it was popular with developers looking to reduce their tax bills.

An enterprising person could probably utilise the existing shell of the building and outfit it for apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 thatrandomdude

Would anyone know if there are any job vacancies for a 17 year old in the area? I'm on a gap year before college and work and the experience would be great :) also saving the money towards my fees would be handy :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Would anyone know if there are any job vacancies for a 17 year old in the area? I'm on a gap year before college and work and the experience would be great :) also saving the money towards my fees would be handy :p

there is a jobs thread so keep an eye on that for any updates. Other than that drop CV's around town in bars/shops etc and you might be lucky!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056617248&page=17

Please just stick to posting job requests in the jobs thread & not in various other threads. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kingdomlad

Just home from a great weekend at the Waterford Harvest Festival. Loads of food stalls all over the city centre, great live music, even an area selling all craft beers which seemed to be a major hit. A real festival atmosphere. It just got me thinking what little use Kerry County Council make of the town square here in Tralee. For example, wouldnt it be great to see a Big Screen in the square of the county capital for next Sundays All Ireland Final. Im sure it would bring great crowds into town for the day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kingdomlad wrote: »
    Just home from a great weekend at the Waterford Harvest Festival. Loads of food stalls all over the city centre, great live music, even an area selling all craft beers which seemed to be a major hit. A real festival atmosphere. It just got me thinking what little use Kerry County Council make of the town square here in Tralee. For example, wouldnt it be great to see a Big Screen in the square of the county capital for next Sundays All Ireland Final. Im sure it would bring great crowds into town for the day.

The square is such a waste. There are very tacky stalls there, and its very unappealing. The idea of having a big screen for the match on Sunday is a great idea. They did it before for a soccer game didn't they? hopefully they will do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

There has just (less than 5 minutes ago) been a fairly bright reddish light flying in a westerly direction over Tralee, it looked like it was very high and not like a plane or anything man made actually. There is no plane visible on fr24.com right now. Has anyone else seen it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Just saw today Sharp hairdresser store closed today. :(
    What the next best alternative to go to that great at creating good fringes like sharp hairdressers.
    Mine was outgrown for summer want to get it again for autumn/winter.

Quaderno wrote: »
    There has just (less than 5 minutes ago) been a fairly bright reddish light flying in a westerly direction over Tralee, it looked like it was very high and not like a plane or anything man made actually. There is no plane visible on fr24.com right now. Has anyone else seen it?

Bloody hell,any idea what that was?

Just saw today Sharp hairdresser store closed today. :(
    What the next best alternative to go to that great at creating good fringes like sharp hairdressers.
    Mine was outgrown for summer want to get it again for autumn/winter.

I didn't hear they had closed. I don't really know who to recommend in town really. I also need my fringe trimmed & my usual hairdresser is away! I did get it trimmed in Sean Taaffe's last year, but wasn't impressed with it to be honest! I would also like to know a good hairdresser who can do a good job on a fringe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I didn't hear they had closed. I don't really know who to recommend in town really. I also need my fringe trimmed & my usual hairdresser is away! I did get it trimmed in Sean Taaffe's last year, but wasn't impressed with it to be honest! I would also like to know a good hairdresser who can do a good job on a fringe!

I'll do it for you, just bring me a bottle of Galway Hooker to steady the shake In my hand beforehand
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The square is such a waste. There are very tacky stalls there, and its very unappealing. The idea of having a big screen for the match on Sunday is a great idea. They did it before for a soccer game didn't they? hopefully they will do it again.

There's a stall always there selling republican stuff, I hate Thatcher stickers et al, he's always there. Who buys that stuff nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I hear these guys are good

There's a stall always there selling republican stuff, I hate Thatcher stickers et al, he's always there. Who buys that stuff nowadays?

I do not know! I don't see the need for a stall selling it in town every day!

is it my imagination, or is there a serious lack of Kerry flags around the town, especially the town centre? From what I can see, its mainly a few businesses who have flags outside their shops etc or window displays, but there is very little bunting up or anything!? Ashe Street has a bit, and around the Abbey Inn. Seems like a poor effort!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

I was just wondering how much extra fuel will be used around the county due to all those flags and wind socks which seem to be popular with automobile users, surely the create a bit of a drag.

Anyway may the best team win.
    is it my imagination, or is there a serious lack of Kerry flags around the town, especially the town centre? From what I can see, its mainly a few businesses who have flags outside their shops etc or window displays, but there is very little bunting up or anything!? Ashe Street has a bit, and around the Abbey Inn. Seems like a poor effort!

You'll probably get pockets in town where it will be a but sparse, but overall there's a huge amount of bunting & flags around the whole town from what I've seen.

• Advertisement

You'll probably get pockets in town where it will be a but sparse, but overall there's a huge amount of bunting & flags around the whole town from what I've seen.

I have seen it in some parts, but from Boherbee down to the Mall & Denny street, its very bare, apart from those offices/shops who have put out their own flags. Maybe there will be some more put out over the next few days, but I think it should have been done by now!

Moyderwell primary put up a big Kerry sign with a huge head shot of Donaghy at the top! LOL

kingdumb wrote: »
    I was just wondering how much extra fuel will be used around the county due to all those flags and wind socks which seem to be popular with automobile users, surely the create a bit of a drag.

Anyway may the best team win.

the best team being Kerry of course!! :D

Anyone here travelling up to Croker for the match? I would love to be, but have holidays coming up so have to save the cash!

the best team being Kerry of course!! :D

Anyone here travelling up to Croker for the match? I would love to be, but have holidays coming up so have to save the cash!

Not travelling up either,might head to one of the local watering holes to watch the game.

I have seen it in some parts, but from Boherbee down to the Mall & Denny street, its very bare, apart from those offices/shops who have put out their own flags. Maybe there will be some more put out over the next few days, but I think it should have been done by now!

Moyderwell primary put up a big Kerry sign with a huge head shot of Donaghy at the top! LOL

Plenty of houses & businesses have put.up bunting ands flags. Not much more can be done really Rock st & Boherbee are well decked out, can't see the council doing much, but maybe as the weekend comes closer they may put something up in castle street

Drunk students & tourists?

I see that you can go over the road to watch the game in the INEC,just wondering any of the local pubs doing anything for the final? BBQs and a bit of music after that kind of thing.

Did you see their video on Oootooobe, singing Shake it off & all the kids took part, those teachers are good craic I'd say

Did you see their video on Oootooobe, singing Shake it off & all the kids took part, those teachers are good craic I'd say

I did, its very good, well done to them!

That big head photo of Star is freaking me out though! Did he go to Moyderwell I wonder or is he just their favourite player? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Can't stand that stall, I find it kinda embarrassing really. I wonder what do British tourists think when they see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

siblers wrote: »
    Can't stand that stall, I find it kinda embarrassing really. I wonder what do British tourists think when they see it?

I just can't see how it makes any revenue?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement