Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

... I hate Thatcher stickers et al, he's always there. Who buys that stuff nowadays?
    siblers wrote: »
    Can't stand that stall, I find it kinda embarrassing really. I wonder what do British tourists think when they see it?

I am sure there is a huge proportion of said British tourists who feel similarly about Thatcher !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Well, i am finished shopping in Tralee. I just called into the vets shop in Castle street to pick up some drugs, after ringing in what i need. I was literally in the shop for 30 seconds and got a 40 euro parking fine.

Now i was parked on the side of the street, like 2 other cars before me, but neither of them received tickets:mad:

It really annoys me because i always pay parking in the Garveys car park even if i will only be there for 10 minutes. I have arthritis and its in its bad cycle atm so i would find it hard to walk to that side of town and now i have 40 euro to pay:(

I will be ordering all my drugs online from now on, so another business will have a reduced margin to pay its taxes but at this stage i don't give a damn about any bloody thing in the town!

Rant over(except in my head:o)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Sorry to hear that 5live, I hate parking tickets.

Just 2 points, the other 2 cars could belong to local businesses who have special allowances to park there and the parking attendant had no way of knowing your situation or how long you would be there, for all they know you could have been some chancer. If I was you I would try and contact someone and appeal the ticket based on your situation, as a once off.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Appeal for sure. Similar happened to a friend who was collecting boxes of books for a local school. She appealed explaining situation and heard no more about it.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Appeal for what reason? Sorry but if you're parked without a ticket you should pay a fine if you're caught. Squashing the ticket just makes a fool out of everyone who pays for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Sorry, but if you park in town and don't put up a ticket then you run the risk of getting a fine regardless of how long you were parked there.

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that 5live, I hate parking tickets.

Just 2 points, the other 2 cars could belong to local businesses who have special allowances to park there and the parking attendant had no way of knowing your situation or how long you would be there, for all they know you could have been some chancer. If I was you I would try and contact someone and appeal the ticket based on your situation, as a once off.
    One was a neighbour dropping stuff into IFAC across from the Abbeygate and he saw the warden and ran out to move his car but the warden was gone before he made it out and no ticket.

Its not going to encourage people to shop in town anyway. The vet said he will give me a letter but he said it makes no difference to any appeal.

Bugger it anyway!

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Sorry, but if you park in town and don't put up a ticket then you run the risk of getting a fine regardless of how long you were parked there.

Like i said already, i ALWAYS put up a ticket, even if i am only stopped for 5 minutes. My mobility is poor atm so i drove to the shop to pickup stuff and received a ticket that 2 other cars didn't.

Makes no difference ultimately. Done shopping in town when i can get most of what i need delivered to my door for the same price or less.

I hope they enjoy my money:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Did anyone see the monstrous new palisade fencing around the pitches between the south campus and the sports complex? Don't know what to make of it, but a lot of runners and dog walkers will have to find a new track I guess...
    And on an unrelated note: Google seems to be updating their streetview imagery this week, we had a camera car in our gated estate yesterday. I didn't know they were allowed on private ground. Or maybe they just don't care.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I'm pretty sure an appeal won't be allowed if you were parked on double yellow lines! The thing is, there is no actual parking allowed on Castle street (apart from some disabled spaces), its mostly all double yellow lines, and its causes a huge problem for traffic for people to be double parked. There are people parking on Castle street on doubles that when you come around the corner from Edward St. you can barely get by if there is traffic stopped at the lights. Then there's those who insist on parking up outside the banks & cause traffic jams. So unfortunately, you have to expect to get a ticket if you do that! Why they didn't give the other cars a ticket is strange!

There was an article in last week's Kerry's Eye regarding a motion brought in the council to have more free parking all year round, and not just for Christmas. To have at least have the first 30 mins or hour free. I think it may happen as the article seemed to be saying that it was being taken on board. So Fingers crossed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Tomhere

Chuggers collecting for Oxfam have descended on Cluain Ard in Ballvelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure an appeal won't be allowed if you were parked on double yellow lines! The thing is, there is no actual parking allowed on Castle street (apart from some disabled spaces), its mostly all double yellow lines, and its causes a huge problem for traffic for people to be double parked. There are people parking on Castle street on doubles that when you come around the corner from Edward St. you can barely get by if there is traffic stopped at the lights. Then there's those who insist on parking up outside the banks & cause traffic jams. So unfortunately, you have to expect to get a ticket if you do that! Why they didn't give the other cars a ticket is strange!

There was an article in last week's Kerry's Eye regarding a motion brought in the council to have more free parking all year round, and not just for Christmas. To have at least have the first 30 mins or hour free. I think it may happen as the article seemed to be saying that it was being taken on board. So Fingers crossed!

But if you have a taxi plate/sign you can park up where ever you want. They have the whole town centre taken over and will give no one any law.
    Came up the town centre today at lunch time and found it difficult to drive up near clearys jewellery shop across the road from the snackery because of a taxi double parked. I asked the driver to move over a bit and was told that if I could not pass I should not be driving. When i tried to say to the driver about waiting outside shaws until a space on the rank became free,he told me he would do what he liked.

:oMy bad. I meant church street, outside the old Abbeygate Hotel.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

5live wrote: »
    :oMy bad. I meant church street, outside the old Abbeygate Hotel.

ah right! I know where you mean now! Are there yellow lines there or is it the carpark area?

ah right! I know where you mean now! Are there yellow lines there or is it the carpark area?

Yellow lines just in front of the old off licence, just across the road from the vet shop.

Sorry about the rant earlier, folks. Not in good form when in a bit of pain.

Yellow lines just in front of the old off licence, just across the road from the vet shop.

Sorry about the rant earlier, folks. Not in good form when in a bit of pain.

sorry to hear that. I don't think you can appeal in that case, if it was on yellows they probably won't want to know!

Hope you are feeling better soon.

sorry to hear that. I don't think you can appeal in that case, if it was on yellows they probably won't want to know!

Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Thanks.

As my father would say, God loves a trier..... but he hates a chancer.

I'll probably just pay it and move my spending elsewhere.

Thanks.

As my father would say, God loves a trier..... but he hates a chancer.

I'll probably just pay it and move my spending elsewhere.

Its a shame that its put you off shopping in the town centre. The town needs people to keep coming in & supporting local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Does anyone know of anywhere selling the vintage/retro style Kerry jerseys? Debenhams used to have them a few years back but don't have them any more.

Its a shame that its put you off shopping in the town centre. The town needs people to keep coming in & supporting local businesses.
    It surely does.

Tralee depends almost entirely on retail spending and other jobs supporting that industry.
    There is virtually no industry left so retail, agriculture and tourism is all that is left.
    Agriculture has left the town since the mart moved out and farmers go to the mart and then straight home.
    Tourism has little attraction in Tralee, bar the roses and the Aquadome and the Aquadome is still closed?

That leaves retail. People have voted on town center retail in droves by moving out to Manor due in no small part to parking charges and easy access to different outlets to load up the car. There are no boarded up and empty shops in Manor while the town center has many. Its not going to recover while hunting customers.

There is little attraction for me to come into the center of town any more. It costs 1.20 an hour to park and, for me anyway, access is poor for the occasions i really need it. I live only slightly further from Listowel which has most of the outlets i use in Tralee without the risk of being fined for the inability to access some of the places i need to visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

It surely does.

Tralee depends almost entirely on retail spending and other jobs supporting that industry.
    There is virtually no industry left so retail, agriculture and tourism is all that is left.
    Agriculture has left the town since the mart moved out and farmers go to the mart and then straight home.
    Tourism has little attraction in Tralee, bar the roses and the Aquadome and the Aquadome is still closed?

That leaves retail. People have voted on town center retail in droves by moving out to Manor due in no small part to parking charges and easy access to different outlets to load up the car. There are no boarded up and empty shops in Manor while the town center has many. Its not going to recover while hunting customers.

There is little attraction for me to come into the center of town any more. It costs 1.20 an hour to park and, for me anyway, access is poor for the occasions i really need it. I live only slightly further from Listowel which has most of the outlets i use in Tralee without the risk of being fined for the inability to access some of the places i need to visit.

To be fair, the ability to park right outside the shop where you want to pick something up is long gone. It may have been fine many years ago when there was little traffic on the streets, but with car ownership through the roof, the 'popping in for five minutes' argument now leads to a long tailback up the town.

It's a nonsensical argument you make about accessing the places you need to visit. The location you talk about is easily clogged up by a car abandoned there, which is why they put down the yellow lines. There's plenty of parking in the town, whether the Brandon Car Park for €3 a day, or the multi-story car park around the corner from where you were nabbed.
    There is also a number of disabled parking spots close to that location, if you have the relevant badge.

It surely does.

I understand your point on the parking charges, but its not the fault of the businesses in town. I don't really see how access is poor to where you need to go, there is always an alternative parking area. If you park on a yellow line, you have to expect to get a fine! Its not the fault of anyone else really. As the other poster just said, it just clogs up the streets and too many people park up on the kerbs in this town, just to dash in somehwere, but not considering how it causes problems for traffic etc.

I've witnessed buses trying to get around the corner from Castle St. to Denny street, only to be blocked by people who park illegally, just cos its easier for them to run into the bank etc. There are yellow lines & boxes for a reason! Manor isn't the be all and end all, it doesn't have half the amount of shops and variety that the town centre does. I'd say I go to Manor about once or twice a month, and don't really stay long there as there's about 2 shops I've any interest in going into.

The council do need to address the parking issue in Tralee town though, and hopefully they will do something soon.

By the way, the Aqua Dome isn't still closed, its been open all summer!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Personally I think any car that parks half way on the footpath & half way on the yellow lines in castle st should be immediately towed

Personally I think any car that parks half way on the footpath & half way on the yellow lines in castle st should be immediately towed

if it were in Dublin you would be both clamped & towed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Damokc wrote: »
    Does anyone know of anywhere selling the vintage/retro style Kerry jerseys? Debenhams used to have them a few years back but don't have them any more.

Would Dowlings have them?

Did you try the Kerry GAA store in Killarney?

Damokc wrote: »

was it like a long sleeve type jersey? I don't think I've seen any like that around. Maybe try Shaws?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Tried Tralee and Killarney today. Nothing along the lines of retro jerseys. Hate wearing heavy polyester jerseys. Went to the Kerry GAA Store and bought a cotton Kerry t shirt.

well done to the Kerry minors on their all-Ireland win!! There are a good few Tralee players on the team which is great to see!

Now its the turn of the Senior team!! ahhhhh the nerves!! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭kingdomlad

If only we had that big screen in the square today. Great weather for it.....

• Advertisement

kingdomlad wrote: »
    If only we had that big screen in the square today. Great weather for it.....

why didn't anyone organise it?? They organised it for an Ireland soccer match a couple of years ago, so why not an All-Ireland!?? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement