Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Someone drove straight over one of the roundabouts on the bypass last week aswell!

WTF? how are there so many stupid, crap drivers out there?? the amount of people who are going through red lights lately is getting ridiculous. The Gardai should have cameras at the lights, they'd make a fortune! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I might have spotted it recently can't remember if I saw in the last while. Scary alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

While there are a lot of bad drivers around there's a lot that could have been done better either originally or afterwards when problems became apparent.

As stated the traffic lights and signage on that Kileen rd/Oakpark junction are totally inadequate.Especially when coming from Oakpark to turn left onto Kileen rd.The turn left arrow while the straight traffic is on red causes serious confusion there.People see the traffic turning left so assume they can drive on straight.

As for the bypass's in both Tralee and Castleisland the signage for upcoming roundabouts are poor.Locals are ok as we are aware but I'm sure visitors have had a fright.Even a few rumble strips a few hundred metres before would be handy.

I've seen it discussed here before but the roundabout near the Huddle bar is a death trap.Between people not knowing to give way to traffic on the right,to pedestrian crossings to pure indecision it's a dangerous spot.I wonder would making the strand rd side one way only upwards away from the roundabout be a possibility?

Last gripe for today,The Green school! They got a nice new car park,operating traffic lights to let cars in and out but do they use it?!!! No parents still insist on parking on both sides of the main rd with teenagers crossing over and back.Will it take an accident for action to be taken here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Someone drove straight over one of the roundabouts on the bypass last week aswell!

Not as well as they did on the ballycarthy roundabout. Skid marks entirely over it and down the other side.
    How do you drive into a roundabout?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Sanchez83 wrote: »
    While there are a lot of bad drivers around there's a lot that could have been done better either originally or afterwards when problems became apparent.

As stated the traffic lights and signage on that Kileen rd/Oakpark junction are totally inadequate.Especially when coming from Oakpark to turn left onto Kileen rd.The turn left arrow while the straight traffic is on red causes serious confusion there.People see the traffic turning left so assume they can drive on straight.

As for the bypass's in both Tralee and Castleisland the signage for upcoming roundabouts are poor.Locals are ok as we are aware but I'm sure visitors have had a fright.Even a few rumble strips a few hundred metres before would be handy.

I've seen it discussed here before but the roundabout near the Huddle bar is a death trap.Between people not knowing to give way to traffic on the right,to pedestrian crossings to pure indecision it's a dangerous spot.I wonder would making the strand rd side one way only upwards away from the roundabout be a possibility?

Last gripe for today,The Green school! They got a nice new car park,operating traffic lights to let cars in and out but do they use it?!!! No parents still insist on parking on both sides of the main rd with teenagers crossing over and back.Will it take an accident for action to be taken here.

you are right about that Oakpark/Killeen junction, its a really bad one. Not sure if a small roundabout would work there, would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

In fairness though is that confusion or assumption just driver carelessness/stupidity? Left or right turn only lights are a feature of traffic lights in all urban areas and prevent unnecessary hold ups in traffic. It's up to each individual driver to pay attention to the lights. Maybe they could put in those double height or overhead traffic lights like you see in some places where there are hills/poor sight lines.

My gripe is the left turn arrow on Rock St turning left into Pembroke Street. Often there is a car parked outside that old corner pub on yellow lines so you can't even use the left lane while the left arrow is green!!

Just heard that Tralee received a Gold Medal in the Entonte Florale competition!! Great news! Well done to all who worked hard on making the Town look so great this summer! Lets all keep up the good work :)

http://traleetoday.ie/tralee-wins-gold-entente-florale-competition/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Sanchez83

ongarboy wrote: »
    Maybe they could put in those double height or overhead traffic lights like you see in some places where there are hills/poor sight lines.

My gripe is the left turn arrow on Rock St turning left into Pembroke Street. Often there is a car parked outside that old corner pub on yellow lines so you can't even use the left lane while the left arrow is green!!

Good idea re the overhead lights!
    Yes that turn is a joke,but look,people get away with it all the time so will continue to do so until it's pulled on.

I'm sickened I didn't take a picture of this last week.
    But I was passing the new Aldi from the bus station side coming up to the left hand lane turn into Aldi.....and there was somebody parked in the turn off lane! I kid you not.

Good idea re the overhead lights!
    Yes that turn is a joke,but look,people get away with it all the time so will continue to do so until it's pulled on.

I'm sickened I didn't take a picture of this last week.
    But I was passing the new Aldi from the bus station side coming up to the left hand lane turn into Aldi.....and there was somebody parked in the turn off lane! I kid you not.

That happens very regularly! The amount of cars that park in that LANE, as if its parking spaces outside the door! Its unreal!

The traffic lights at that Oakpark/Kileen junction are now turned off, so take caution when approaching them! There are signs on the lights to alert.

• Advertisement

Reading in the Sunday Times today that Lloyds Pharmacy (biggest chain in UK after Boots) have bought Ryle & DeLacey pharmacies in Fairies Cross and Ashe Street. I wonder will the independents in Tralee fear having another big player like this on their territory?

Reading in the Sunday Times today that Lloyds Pharmacy (biggest chain in UK after Boots) have bought Ryle & DeLacey pharmacies in Fairies Cross and Ashe Street. I wonder will the independents in Tralee fear having another big player like this on their territory?

wow, that's interesting! fair play to them I guess!

I have to say that I think CH chemist is brilliant though. They are so competitive, and have such a great range of stock. I used to like Boots, but they are more expensive, and I find myself going to CH more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Wow. They weren't in business long. I hope Mike organised a job for himself with them or something.

kn wrote: »
    Wow. They weren't in business long. I hope Mike organised a job for himself with them or something.

According to the article, the MD of Lloyds Ireland says about 20 independent pharmacists approach them every month looking to sell on their business but Lloyds will only purchase viable businesses with proven past and guaranteed future success. Sounds like the two Tralee pharmacies were well run then if they were considered worth buying out. I imagine with the proceeds, the guys running it won't be short of a penny in the near future! Lloyds hope to have 150 stores in Ireland in the next few years (80 at present). I've seen quite a few of them in Dublin already.

a lot of pharmacies are going down the franchise or group name route. You see it with Kennelly's pharmacy on Castle St. they are now part of the Haven pharmacy group.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The traffic lights at that Oakpark/Kileen junction are now turned off, so take caution when approaching them! There are signs on the lights to alert.

They should stay that way. Things move much faster!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yeah, mine was installed in October last year. But I know they ran into a lot of problems in some estates, with badly laid pipes & ESB lines. They had to abandon some jobs, but they are coming back to those. They were back in our estate a couple of weeks ago doing some more meters, and I noticed they still have a few more to do. Our particular property caused them loads of problems. The guy I spoke to at the time said the estates that were built during the early 2000's in the 'boom' seem to be the worst. Just thrown up and pipes not dug deep enough etc.

Also, if the public main to your house comes through your back garden or otherwise via a neighbour's property, you cannot be metered and will be paying the assessed charge. And even those with meters already fitted will have their bills capped at the assessed charge for at least the first three (maybe six) months so we all have a bit of time to get all that powerwashing done yet!!

On a completely different note, Garvey's have a very useful €10 off €50 spend voucher in this week's Tralee Advertiser and Outlook and are handing out the vouchers at the tills too. Valid until Wednesday. And Tesco accept them too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,044 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Which is why as I waited at the junction having come from the Kileen Road this morning the woman in the Mondeo coming from Oakpark turned left without indicating costing me my opportunity to get across the junction:rolleyes: She was obviously reading the sign and forgot to indicate.

BPKS wrote: »
    Which is why as I waited at the junction having come from the Kileen Road this morning the woman in the Mondeo coming from Oakpark turned left without indicating costing me my opportunity to get across the junction:rolleyes: She was obviously reading the sign and forgot to indicate.

and on my way down towards town earlier this evening, I saw a man holding up the traffic while he sat at the lights (facing up out of town)....It seemed like he was waiting for them to turn green, not noticing that no cars were actually stopping for the lights! I'm sure he eventually got a few beeps!

They are taking their time on fixing that set of lights though!

Another new arrival for Tralee! Xtravision up in Manor will now become a joint HMV/Xtravision store! Nice to see a big name such as HMV have a presence in Tralee, particularly as there were no longer any proper music stores left in the town.

http://blog.hmv.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭ruffmut

Another new arrival for Tralee! Xtravision up in Manor will now become a joint HMV/Xtravision store! Nice to see a big name such as HMV have a presence in Tralee, particularly as there were no longer any proper music stores left in the town.

http://blog.hmv.ie/

I see in the blog it states Manor West shopping centre. I didn't think there was an empty unit. The only place empty is Randles showroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

ruffmut wrote: »
    I see in the blog it states Manor West shopping centre. I didn't think there was an empty unit. The only place empty is Randles showroom.

I think its just a case of the existing unit facing on to the road being re-branded rather than the opening of a 'new' unit in Manor Shopping Centre.

traffic lights were still not working in Oakpark this morning! Have they been fixed since or still off?

traffic lights were still not working in Oakpark this morning! Have they been fixed since or still off?

Fixed. Just passed through.

Hot on the heels of HMV opening in that area, Shindig have opened a second store also in Manor!

http://traleetoday.ie/current-trends-sees-shindig-branch/

Hot on the heels of HMV opening in that area, Shindig have opened a second store also in Manor!

http://traleetoday.ie/current-trends-sees-shindig-branch/

best of luck to Gary & Ciara! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Try Tennants, Creans is brewed by them.

Not true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Not true

It was at one stage.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,788 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

xxyyzz wrote: »
    It was at one stage.

Yeah, it was briefly brewed and bottled in Glasgow but it's now brewed and bottled/canned by C&C in Clonmel (who own Tennants). Only the draught originates from Dingle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Quackster wrote: »
    Yeah, it was briefly brewed and bottled in Glasgow but it's now brewed and bottled/canned by C&C in Clonmel (who own Tennants). Only the draught originates from Dingle.

There's are better beers which are actually brewed a few miles beyond Dingle by Beoir Chorca Dhuibhne. I haven't seen it on sale anywhere in Tralee apart from the Castle off-license.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement