Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The daily grind does good rolls to take away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

shergar22 wrote: »
    That's not true. You're just taking pot-shots at figures

Nope, not pot shots, it's what I was told, if you can provide your own pot shot please, feel free

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Rumours the abbey is closing down / being handed over to Nama.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Rumours the abbey is closing down / being handed over to Nama.....

that rumour is older than me at this stage....and that's pushing on lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Some more pictures of Tralee this time from the 1950s

http://traleetoday.ie/nostalgia-time-aerial-photos-tralee-1950s/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Anyone know the name of the secondhand furniture shop in Rock Street? Need to get a number for them, but can't even remember the name!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Good as new

NewCorkLad wrote: »
    Good as new

great thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Some more pictures of Tralee this time from the 1950s

http://traleetoday.ie/nostalgia-time-aerial-photos-tralee-1950s/

Thanks Kerrydude.

Any one spot the old ball alleys in the Green across from the Brandon? or the old Tralee Tennis courts behind O'Donoghues Shop in Oakpark.

Brendans Park being built is facinating. And note where the Rockies trained in the field where St Brendans stands now.

CBS shcool in Fairies Cross was still the fair field.

You can still clearly see the line of the Dingle railway allingment.

Water charges protest march tomorrow (Saturday) at 12pm from Horan's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Thanks Kerrydude.

Any one spot the old ball alleys in the Green across from the Brandon? or the old Tralee Tennis courts behind O'Donoghues Shop in Oakpark.

Brendans Park being built is facinating. And note where the Rockies trained in the field where St Brendans stands now.

CBS shcool in Fairies Cross was still the fair field.

You can still clearly see the line of the Dingle railway allingment.

I was going to ask where did the Stacks play back then,cheers for pointing it out

What year did they move to the Connolly Park pitch?

I was going to ask where did the Stacks play back then,cheers for pointing it out

checking that out for you! :)

apparently (according to me Da), it was around 1967/68! The clubhouse wasn't built for many years after that, I think that was about 1989?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

from austinstacks.ie

1969: St Brendan's Church, which is built on the site of Joanie O'Connell's field in Rock Street, the club's former home was consecrated by the then Bishop of Kerry, Dr Eamon Casey.

1971: The Club entered negotiations with Tralee UDC which eventually led to the purchase of Connolly Park the following year.

RevBJ

from austinstacks.ie

1969: St Brendan's Church, which is built on the site of Joanie O'Connell's field in Rock Street, the club's former home was consecrated by the then Bishop of Kerry, Dr Eamon Casey.

1971: The Club entered negotiations with Tralee UDC which eventually led to the purchase of Connolly Park the following year.

RevBJ

I couldn't find the info on the website, and my dad is always a few years out! lol

County final time, and I'm neutral.....I don't care who beats the stacks!
    ;)

County final time, and I'm neutral.....I don't care who beats the stacks!
    ;)

its nice to support a town team in the county final, no matter who you support..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    its nice to support a town team in the county final, no matter who you support..

There's a lot of physical and emotional pain I'd rather endure than having Stacks win the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

MON THE ROCKIES :p

Yeah, that's not happening, you've more chance of me winning humanitarian of the year than supporting your mob :)

• Advertisement

ah well, I guess not having your own teams in it for a long time can make one bitter!

did anyone go to the water charges protest march this afternoon? I hear a good crowd turned up.

I do plan to go to the big one next Saturday at 1pm! I hope a big crowd comes, its a nationwide protest, so come out & stand up to the fools we call a government! ;)

did anyone go to the water charges protest march this afternoon? I hear a good crowd turned up.

I do plan to go to the big one next Saturday at 1pm! I hope a big crowd comes, its a nationwide protest, so come out & stand up to the fools we call a government! ;)

I saw it in passing, probably about 200 people but no idea if there were more in the town center waiting to join up with the march

I saw it in passing, probably about 200 people but no idea if there were more in the town center waiting to join up with the march

they said on the RTE website that there were about 1,000, but I think it was more 200 as you said, judging by the youtube vid I saw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

No did not attend the protest march and no desire to protest on this issue either.

I do not have an issue paying for any utility , be it water, electricity, gas etc.

It would be interesting to know how many of the protesters will actually have to pay for water and how many are merely the usual rent a mob?

Cork and Limerick also had similar protests today, it would be interesting to know who is really behind the protests?

Among my friends throughout the country, I have yet to come across anyone who has an issue regarding paying water charges.

Finally and respectfully, I think it is inappropriate to refer to our Government as fools. On the contrary I do not think they are fools , nor do the majority of the electorate who voted for them at the last General Election.

The protesters of course have a right to protest, however it must be kept in perspective, the numbers involved do not represent the majority of the Citizens of Ireland. Some of the protesters are simply rent a mob who may be protesting regarding water charges this week and Palestine last week!

Attended ' The Nualas' last evening with friends at Siamsa Tire.

Side splittingly funny.

Unfortunately theatre was not full to capacity.

I guess with long weekend there were so many offerings in Tralee.

Siamsa is a wonderful facility in Tralee , indeed one I like to support when in the area on hols.

Congratulations to Tralee on winning two gold medals in this recent competition.

I spotted some signage on the Tralee approach today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

No did not attend the protest march and no desire to protest on this issue either.

I do not have an issue paying for any utility , be it water, electricity, gas etc.

It would be interesting to know how many of the protesters will actually have to pay for water and how many are merely the usual rent a mob?

Cork and Limerick also had similar protests today, it would be interesting to know who is really behind the protests?

Among my friends throughout the country, I have yet to come across anyone who has an issue regarding paying water charges.

Finally and respectfully, I think it is inappropriate to refer to our Government as fools. On the contrary I do not think they are fools , nor do the majority of the electorate who voted for them at the last General Election.

The protesters of course have a right to protest, however it must be kept in perspective, the numbers involved do not represent the majority of the Citizens of Ireland. Some of the protesters are simply rent a mob who may be protesting regarding water charges this week and Palestine last week!
    Hi, Sorry to butt in on this thread but I feel the need to reply to this post.

Delthedriver, I don't know why you feel the need to defend the Government. they were elected based on lies and have done nothing but heap misery on the people of this country since they came to office in 2011, implementing charge after charge and tax after tax. Not only have they implemented these charges but they have done so in a very arrogant manor that would make you sick to your stomach.

It's a bit disrespectful and ignorant of you to refer to these protesters as "rent a mob". These protests are peaceful and are attended by the ordinary citizens of this country who feel very strongly on this issue, People who after years of austerity simply can give no more and feel this charge is a step too far. ordinary families have been hit with this and other charges that don't take into account the ability to pay.

I agree with Ciarrai76 100% , the government are fools and I don't feel it inappropriate to refer to them as such either. They're fools for expecting the people to pay for a service they already pay for, fools for thinking we're gullible enough to believe their spin that this is about water conservation, Fools for thinking that a euro here and a euro there in the budget would sweeten us up and that we'd all happily pay up.

They are fools for thinking that we'd all happily pay a company that cost way too much to set up, a company that needlessly spent millions on outside consultants, a company that is overstaffed, a company with an overpayed and arrogant leader who is almost anonymous, a company that's awarding it's employees(weather good or bad) bonuses and perks before a bill is even issued or a leak is fixed!

IW is rotten to the core delthedriver. The people are dead right to be standing up to this monstrosity. you might feel that they don't represent the majority of society but the large numbers that are turning out tells it's own story. Your post doesn't make sense in this regard as you take the views of a few friends over the views of thousands of protesters as representing the views majority of society.

If you don't have an issue with paying it yourself, all well and good, be a do-gooder and take it up the backside from the government an IW if it makes you feel better. Do you seriously not see any thing wrong with the whole thing though? Would you like to be double charged for your gas and electricity and a bonus awarded to the supplier with your money before they even provide you with a service?

As for the majority that voted for the government in the last general election not thinking they are fools. How can you say that? Both parties in government have lost significant support since that election and both have done poorly in the bye election, especially labor.

Anyway I've said my bit and i'll leave it at that,

Apologies for the long post folks.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

My folklore memory is that the Stacks played on what is now St Brendan's Church. So I think they moved from there to Connolly Park in the 70's.

PS I see that RevBlueJeans confirmed this in a later post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement