Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    its nice to support a town team in the county final, no matter who you support..

That's nonsense which you know full well. All Mitchells and Narrie Pickers people will be waiting in the pubs for the Rockies if they are beaten with a tube of salt in hand to rub it in! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

kn wrote: »
    That's nonsense which you know full well. All Mitchells and Narrie Pickers people will be waiting in the pubs for the Rockies if they are beaten with a tube of salt in hand to rub it in! :P

Hey! "if they are beaten'? ..........you mean "when'!
    :):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Can they put water meters on yachts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Hi, Sorry to butt in on this thread but I feel the need to reply to this post.

Delthedriver, I don't know why you feel the need to defend the Government. they were elected based on lies and have done nothing but heap misery on the people of this country since they came to office in 2011, implementing charge after charge and tax after tax. Not only have they implemented these charges but they have done so in a very arrogant manor that would make you sick to your stomach.

It's a bit disrespectful and ignorant of you to refer to these protesters as "rent a mob". These protests are peaceful and are attended by the ordinary citizens of this country who feel very strongly on this issue, People who after years of austerity simply can give no more and feel this charge is a step too far. ordinary families have been hit with this and other charges that don't take into account the ability to pay.

I agree with Ciarrai76 100% , the government are fools and I don't feel it inappropriate to refer to them as such either. They're fools for expecting the people to pay for a service they already pay for, fools for thinking we're gullible enough to believe their spin that this is about water conservation, Fools for thinking that a euro here and a euro there in the budget would sweeten us up and that we'd all happily pay up.

They are fools for thinking that we'd all happily pay a company that cost way too much to set up, a company that needlessly spent millions on outside consultants, a company that is overstaffed, a company with an overpayed and arrogant leader who is almost anonymous, a company that's awarding it's employees(weather good or bad) bonuses and perks before a bill is even issued or a leak is fixed!

IW is rotten to the core delthedriver. The people are dead right to be standing up to this monstrosity. you might feel that they don't represent the majority of society but the large numbers that are turning out tells it's own story. Your post doesn't make sense in this regard as you take the views of a few friends over the views of thousands of protesters as representing the views majority of society.

If you don't have an issue with paying it yourself, all well and good, be a do-gooder and take it up the backside from the government an IW if it makes you feel better. Do you seriously not see any thing wrong with the whole thing though? Would you like to be double charged for your gas and electricity and a bonus awarded to the supplier with your money before they even provide you with a service?

As for the majority that voted for the government in the last general election not thinking they are fools. How can you say that? Both parties in government have lost significant support since that election and both have done poorly in the bye election, especially labor.

Anyway I've said my bit and i'll leave it at that,

Apologies for the long post folks.

Yes, you have made some well meaning and interesting comments. Perhaps this debate should be redirected to a more appropriate Water Charges forum?

Yes we are aware there is a National Day of protest on 1 November
    Apologies for my cynicism, but it seems coincidental that these 'protest marches ' were organised at short notice , perhaps to distract the media and public attention from more serious Political issues which unfolded this week.

It is interesting to note that over 500,000 households have already signed up to water charges. There are a percentage of the population who due to economic or other reasons will not be levied anyway. So really is this protesting nothing more than cynical anti Government protesting to diffuse more unpalatable issues being reported in the media.

I was not being disrespectful referring to "rent a mob", but I am certain a percentage of the protesters will be made up of vigilantes who caused mayhem in North Dublin recently, when residents were effectively bullied into staying in their estate and workers were prevented from doing their jobs, ie. installing water meters.

Yes the cost of patrolling that situation by the Gardai will be borne by the tax payers. Some of the same rent a mob were also protesting recently outside the Israeli Embassy, in a so called peaceful Pro Palestine event.

I have no doubt some people have issues over paying water charges, however we must be the only country in Europe who do not pay for this service? In my humble opinion I do not consider that I will be paying " twice " for this facility. Rather I consider it my duty to pay for a utility which I enjoy.

I am of an age where I remember rates on houses, at the time indeed they were a considerably larger % of a householders income than the proposed water charge.

Finally I am not defending the Government's position, but merely trying to introduce a little balance in this thread on the subject of water charges.

That protest had been organized with over a month.

One of the organizers is a neighbor of mine, who works full time and is certainly not a rent a mob as you described him.

You make an awful lot of assumptions!

Maybe people are sick of the FG lies.

• Advertisement

That protest had been organized with over a month.

One of the organizers is a neighbor of mine, who works full time and is certainly not a rent a mob as you described him.

You make an awful lot of assumptions!

Maybe people are sick of the FG lies.

Apologies, I did not realise this protest was organised a month ago, as I was out of the country, on holidays.

As for lies, I think Joe Public has heard enough lies from another Political Party this week ! The issues being more gruesome than water charges.

Which political party is pushing these 'demonstrations' ?

Tralee Today.ie see photos of march leaders. Say no more!!!

Apologies, I did not realise this protest was organised a month ago, as I was out of the country, on holidays.

As for lies, I think Joe Public has heard enough lies from another Political Party this week ! The issues being more gruesome than water charges.

Ya. Stick to fine Gael. You too can get a dodgy job on a board just so they can make you a senator.

Sure arent they doing a fine job.

Ya. Stick to fine Gael. You too can get a dodgy job on a board just so they can make you a senator.

Sure arent they doing a fine job.

Thanks Michael,

<snip> MOD

Thanks Michael,

<snip> MOD

Are you saying the water charges protestors are involved in this?

Are you saying the water charges protestors are involved in this?

What do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

without getting into a political debate (this is not the forum for it), I'd like to point out that the protests are not about NOT wanting to pay for water, its that we ALREADY pay for water...in our taxes, so its about not wanting to pay for it AGAIN!!

And I stand by our government being fools, and I bet I'm not in a minority who think it! Its your opinion to defend them, but I personally wish they were gone!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Please refrain from any further policitcal discussion. This is not the forum for it. I have deleted some comments made as it is taking a bit too far to be honest. - MOD

The county championship final was a DRAW!! aggghh! So we have to do it all over again next weekend. Venue TBC but I think it might be Tralee again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

The county championship final was a DRAW!! aggghh! So we have to do it all over again next weekend. Venue TBC but I think it might be Tralee again?

I was only half watching so I can't be sure but full time seemed to be called exactly on the button? I thought there was a few more mins in it. (Its a pity my Irish isn't goid enough for me to have the volume turned up!)

without getting into a political debate (this is not the forum for it), I'd like to point out that the protests are not about NOT wanting to pay for water, its that we ALREADY pay for water...in our taxes, so its about not wanting to pay for it AGAIN!!

And I stand by our government being fools, and I bet I'm not in a minority who think it! Its your opinion to defend them, but I personally wish they were gone!

Correct I don't think this is the forum for a political debate, nor indeed a debate on water charges.

Respectfully, you raised the issue of the protest march on water charges. I am not sure which hat you were wearing ( Ciarrai, Mod, political ) when you did so.

Is it appropriate for a Mod to comment on Government in this particular forum?:)

Incidentally 400 people attended the protest march yesterday , what percentage of the Co.Kerry population would that represent? Not a lot!!!

Correct I don't think this is the forum for a political debate, nor indeed a debate on water charges.

Respectfully, you raised the issue of the protest march on water charges. I am not sure which hat you were wearing ( Ciarrai, Mod, political ) when you did so.

Is it appropriate for a Mod to comment on Government in this particular forum?:)

Incidentally 400 people attended the protest march yesterday , what percentage of the Co.Kerry population would that represent? Not a lot!!!

God forbid people who wanted to be there were working.

Just to clarify, we pay the same amount of taxes as before, the money the government save in water will now be channelled into other areas.
    Yes, we get hit in the pocket again, but regardless of what party is in power, its the same result, regardless of the rhetoric some corners spout

I merely pointed out that there was a protest march being held in Tralee, to let others who might be interested know! The 'debate' became too political after that, and I asked for it to stop as before it went too far!
    By the way Yesterday's march was only a small one, there are nationwide marches planned for next weekend.

I merely pointed out that there was a protest march being held in Tralee, to let others who might be interested know! The 'debate' became too political after that, and I asked for it to stop as before it went too far!
    By the way Yesterday's march was only a small one, there are nationwide marches planned for next weekend.

Let us move on ..............;)

Just to clarify, we pay the same amount of taxes as before, the money the government save in water will now be channelled into other areas.
    Yes, we get hit in the pocket again, but regardless of what party is in power, its the same result, regardless of the rhetoric some corners spout

True indeed.

If one wants the services, they must be paid for...........it is commercial reality. No money , no drink !

• Advertisement

God forbid people who wanted to be there were working.

Oh , I am sure if people wanted to really be there, they could have taken time off work at their expense.

Put your money..............!

Oh , I am sure if people wanted to really be there, they could have taken time off work at their expense.

how can people afford to be taking time off work Unless they have annual leave to take and were able to take a day off!? its unfair to say that they should have taken time off if they wanted to be there! Taking time off at their expense isn't going to happen for many with things the way they are!

And I'm sure if you are so worked up over people demonstrating there democratic right to a protest, you would have found out the full facts about the protest before jumping in with your size 12s.

how can people afford to be taking time off work Unless they have annual leave to take and were able to take a day off!? its unfair to say that they should have taken time off if they wanted to be there! Taking time off at their expense isn't going to happen for many with things the way they are!

Guess the numbers won't increase much next week so !

Guess the numbers won't increase much next week so !

well considering next weeks nationwide marches have been planned for a while now, and yesterdays was just an informal one, I am pretty sure a huge number will turn up! They will have known about this one for a while & could have booked a day off should they work weekends!

And I'm sure if you are so worked up over people demonstrating there democratic right to a protest, you would have found out the full facts about the protest before jumping in with your size 12s.

Oh I am not worked up at all Michael !

I have no difficulty with people exercising their democratic rights whatsoever.

Indeed I have no issue with paying for water either. Very simple , pay for the services .

If people don't want to pay for services, they need not avail of them. People have a choice !!!

Oh I am not worked up at all Michael !

I have no difficulty with people exercising their democratic rights whatsoever.

Indeed I have no issue with paying for water either. Very simple , pay for the services .

If people don't want to pay for services, they need not avail of them. People have a choice !!!

we do pay for water, through our taxes! :rolleyes:

we do pay for water, through our taxes! :rolleyes:

Not any more, and you know that ;)

well considering next weeks nationwide marches have been planned for a while now, and yesterdays was just an informal one, I am pretty sure a huge number will turn up! They will have known about this one for a while & could have booked a day off should they work weekends!

Interesting when was the informal protest announced and by whom.

Oh yes if people are really sincere about their plight, they will organise annual leave or unpaid leave.

Who is organising the National protest ?

• Advertisement

Not any more, and you know that ;)

True!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement