Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Lelantos wrote: »
    The "Paul Galvin" effect tis called ;)

Fair play to Paul Galvin, he is a trendy dresser, quite a hit with the birds!

Perhaps it is appropriate to nominate Tralee's best dressed lady and gentleman?

Any nominations?

Lol.. Not a hope! I'm not at all the shirt and tie kinda guy! If I had a blazer I might let the dog sleep on it.
    For this reasoning i fear my wealthy woman is but a pipe dream....:(

Ah come off it Carch.........just being modest!

I bet you have a 'club blazer' !:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Trendy is not a word id use to describe his fashion sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

I totally agree with Del here. (although I'm not sure if you were serious!!!)

The way I see it is the GAA is so stereotyped it's ridiculous. There were four lads from various GAA counties being interviewed on The Late Late Show last year (I forget what for) and every one of them were wearing wide leg jeans, brown shoes, v-neck jumpers with a shirt inside. And they all had nice tidy parochial short hair cuts. Now, not everyone is like that, but you look across Ireland in most small GAA parishes and the vast majority of lads dress like that. While I don't think everything he wears is decent, some of it is, and regardless of my opinion, fair dues to the man for doing something different.

Was in London after Christmas, and walking around Oxford Circus virtually every lad was dressed in a relatively similar vein, some more stylish, some more tame. Dublin is quite similar.

Another poster was right when they said people would only slate you for dressing differently in this town. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to dressing well, places like Dublin and London are in the right here. Tralee, not so much.

Now, excuse me, must go to TK Maxx to look for a new cravat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Carraig95 wrote: »

The way I see it is the GAA is so stereotyped it's ridiculous. There were four lads from various GAA counties being interviewed on The Late Late Show last year (I forget what for) and every one of them were wearing wide leg jeans, brown shoes, v-neck jumpers with a shirt inside. And they all had nice tidy parochial short hair cuts. Now, not everyone is like that, but you look across Ireland in most small GAA parishes and the vast majority of lads dress like that. While I don't think everything he wears is decent, some of it is, and regardless of my opinion, fair dues to the man for doing something different.

Was in London after Christmas, and walking around Oxford Circus virtually every lad was dressed in a relatively similar vein, some more stylish, some more tame. Dublin is quite similar.

Another poster was right when they said people would only slate you for dressing differently in this town. I'm pretty sure that when it comes to dressing well, places like Dublin and London are in the right here. Tralee, not so much.

A smoking jacket would go nice with that cravat, we'll met you out tonight, wait for us up at the Holy Mary statue near the bullring, the locals up there will love what you're wearing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Er.... What is wrong with a blazer? I have no problem wearing a blazer.
    I think it is sad to see the girls all dolled up on a night out and the guys in jeans and a shirt looking like they have been prevented from carrying on their gardening duties .
    Surely a gentleman would make some effort in his attire to compliment his female companion?
    The di'khead in my opinion is the oaf who does not know how to dress appropriately!:)

I didnt say there was anything wrong with a blazer nor would i have any problems wearing one. I merely stated what the common opinion would be if someone was to be seen wearing one particularly among the under 25 age group.

We once passed a rough looking lad while walking down outside the blasket.Two of the lads were wearing chinos.He passed us,turned around and said "hi lads, those pants should be ripped off ye and ye should be beaten with them".I saw the same lad wearing chinos a few weeks later.

Tralee is fairly slow to catch onto fashion trends.Im sure every one will be wearing them in the summer time.

Trendy is not a word id use to describe his fashion sense

Individual style?:)

I didnt say there was anything wrong with a blazer nor would i have any problems wearing one. I merely stated what the common opinion would be if someone was to be seen wearing one particularly among the under 25 age group.

We once passed a rough looking lad while walking down outside the blasket.Two of the lads were wearing chinos.He passed us,turned around and said "hi lads, those pants should be ripped off ye and ye should be beaten with them".I saw the same lad wearing chinos a few weeks later.

Tralee is fairly slow to catch onto fashion trends.Im sure every one will be wearing them in the summer time.

Perhaps Tralee is conservative when it comes to fashion trends despite Wiilie Ryall's stocking up to the minute brands and styles. IMHO , they are the best gents shop in Kerry.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Perhaps Tralee is conservative when it comes to fashion trends despite Wiilie Ryall's stocking up to the minute brands and styles. IMHO , they are the best gents shop in Kerry.:)

I don't know how anyone can afford to shop in Ryall's menswear, its sooooo expensive! Lovely stuff, but the prices are insane!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Carraig95 wrote: »

one thing that bugs me about Tralee, and has done for many years, is how so many people will slag off anyone who dresses anyway different! My sister has a really cool hairstyle, dyed etc, likes to dress a bit different, but looks really cool, yet people pass her and start making comments & laughing! I don't know why its so bad to be different in this town, but you tend to stand out compared to if you were in a city. I lived in Dublin for a few years and no one bats an eyelid at anyone there! I loved it, I loved how you could be yourself, wear what you want & never feel uncomfortable. Small town mentality perhaps, but very annoying!

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone can afford to shop in Ryall's menswear, its sooooo expensive! Lovely stuff, but the prices are insane!

To be fair the quality and image of their merchandise match the prices.
    I admit that I buy clothes there from time to time. Quality never goes out of fashion, IMHO. The pricing is certainly at the top of the league table in Kerry, but would be in line with Brown Thomas, in Dublin , Cork or Limerick. Yes I would also admit that I may be my wife's most expensive accessory. :)

one thing that bugs me about Tralee, and has done for many years, is how so many people will slag off anyone who dresses anyway different! My sister has a really cool hairstyle, dyed etc, likes to dress a bit different, but looks really cool, yet people pass her and start making comments & laughing! I don't know why its so bad to be different in this town, but you tend to stand out compared to if you were in a city. I lived in Dublin for a few years and no one bats an eyelid at anyone there! I loved it, I loved how you could be yourself, wear what you want & never feel uncomfortable. Small town mentality perhaps, but very annoying!

Ciarrai,
    Is your sister wealthy? Carchaeologist is looking for a good looking wealth woman to marry!:) she certainly sounds like a very cool babe. Must keep an eye out for her when next in Tralee, on Carchaelogists behalf of course!:)

Perhaps it is appropriate to nominate Tralee's best dressed lady and gentleman?

Any nominations?

Ciarrai's sister for best dressed and cool babe:cool:

Ciarrai,
    Is your sister wealthy? Carchaeologist is looking for a good looking wealth woman to marry!:) she certainly sounds like a very cool babe. Must keep an eye out for her when next in Tralee, on Carchaelogists behalf of course!:)

nope, not a bit wealthy!! lol I wish she was lol

nope, not a bit wealthy!! lol I wish she was lol

Well Carchaeologist? Life is not always about money! I am trying my best for you ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 xxalexa12h

Hi, just curious if anyone knows what shops/cafes will be moving into the new abbey court retail centre outside the small Tesco?

xxalexa12h wrote: »
    Hi, just curious if anyone knows what shops/cafes will be moving into the new abbey court retail centre outside the small Tesco?

Dealz :)

Dealz :)

someone mentioned here last week they may not be going in now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

someone mentioned here last week they may not be going in now.

It was I. It was a strong rumour by management in one of the units in abbeycourt, the rental agreement was being changed about 4 weeks ago & supposedly there was a breakdown in negotiations. They did advertise for managers about 6 weeks ago, but nothing for staff as of yet. Unusual at the very least

• Advertisement

It was I. It was a strong rumour by management in one of the units in abbeycourt, the rental agreement was being changed about 4 weeks ago & supposedly there was a breakdown in negotiations. They did advertise for managers about 6 weeks ago, but nothing for staff as of yet. Unusual at the very least

Quite unusual indeed. I guess both parties had invested quite an amount of time and effort , before negotiations broke down. For the property owner developer it must be very disappointing, it isn't everyday a National chain store comes to town.

The future of Xtravision there must be in question also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Quite unusual indeed. I guess both parties had invested quite an amount of time and effort , before negotiations broke down. For the property owner developer it must be very disappointing, it isn't everyday a National chain store comes to town.

The future of Xtravision there must be in question also?

Yes indeed, receivership for a business that doesn't have any real b&m opposition means the online purchase, Netflix & streaming sources must be a huge burden on them

Yes indeed, receivership for a business that doesn't have any real b&m opposition means the online purchase, Netflix & streaming sources must be a huge burden on them

The writing has been on the wall in Xtravision for a few years now. Amazed they still have two outlets in Tralee, though recently they announced further store openings around the country? Left hand and Right hand?:)

ongarboy wrote: »
    Speaking as someone who has worked in the IFSC for 12+ years, there is no recession in that micro economy. Every single company in the IFSC is hiring. The problem is they need people with funds experience which there aren't enough qualified candidates around despite the unemployment which is why a lot of them are imported from Europe. The salaries in the IFSC are well paid also which is why you see patronage of bars/restaurants looking like sometime out of the Celtic Tiger era. I'd love if an IFSC company opened in Kerry (like Northern Trust in Limerick or State Street in Kilkenny) then I and my partner would move back to Kerry in a flash!

Agreed, I was home at Easter and it was fairly gloomy around town. We actually enjoyed Nightjar just for something a bit different - the crowd seemed a bit older than when it was Ruairis and not as young as Abbey and the music was more chill out funky rather than charty or hip hop trash (it also made a difference to the carbon copy pub singers in Teach Beag, Paddy Macs and Baileys - while I like Chasing Cars, there's only so much I can take of it in one night!!)

While I was in Dublin that week I also had the opportunity of visiting Howth at lunchtime on Thursday. It amazed me just how busy the restaurants were for an afternoon in April. We ate in The Deep, fabulous restaurant which was recommended by Food Critic , Palo Tullio. The food an service was excellent , the restaurant nearly packed to capacity.

It occurred to me that if a fraction of the highly paid jobs in the IFSC could be mirrored in Tralee, the black would be booming.

There is a huge difference between the earning and spending power in Dublin vs. the rest of the country. What can be done to attract similar IfSC enterprises into Tralee.?

On a sad note I noticed today that a number of American Banks are relinquishing their IfSC licences:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Well Carchaeologist? Life is not always about money! I am trying my best for you ! :)

Lol, I appreciate your efforts Del, but on reflection I think I'm quite content to soldier on alone.
    No point forcing these things ya know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

The Tralee forum is turning into a dating site. Any chance of a caring woman. Exciting, good sense of humour......

And then talk to my wife and give her a few pointers will ya :p

Lol, I appreciate your efforts Del, but on reflection I think I'm quite content to soldier on alone.
    No point forcing these things ya know!

Er, I was looking for a day out........

The Tralee forum is turning into a dating site. Any chance of a caring woman. Exciting, good sense of humour......

And then talk to my wife and give her a few pointers will ya :p

Tralee forum needed to be spiced up a bit.....there is only so much coffee and cake I can consume.

Have a great looking woman, caring, loving, exciting, fantastic sense of humour, own hair, own teeth............loads of money......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The writing has been on the wall in Xtravision for a few years now. Amazed they still have two outlets in Tralee, though recently they announced further store openings around the country? Left hand and Right hand?:)

Yeah I posted up a link to an article a week or two ago where they were trumpeting opening in Castleisland and a couple of other places but also closing several shops in the Dublin region. I think there is a strategy in xtravision to downscale in areas with great internet service but also upscale in small urbans like Castleisland where internet speeds are still not great. That appears to be the model. And of course that means two units in Tralee is not sustainable so the Manor one is for the chop soon I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

While I was in Dublin that week I also had the opportunity of visiting Howth at lunchtime on Thursday. It amazed me just how busy the restaurants were for an afternoon in April. We ate in The Deep, fabulous restaurant which was recommended by Food Critic , Palo Tullio. The food an service was excellent , the restaurant nearly packed to capacity.

It occurred to me that if a fraction of the highly paid jobs in the IFSC could be mirrored in Tralee, the black would be booming.

There is a huge difference between the earning and spending power in Dublin vs. the rest of the country. What can be done to attract similar IfSC enterprises into Tralee.?

On a sad note I noticed today that a number of American Banks are relinquishing their IfSC licences:)

You can't get skilled people to move to Tralee. There are IT companies in the technology park crying out for people and they can't fill the positions. It's one of the reasons kerry Group are in Naas now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement