Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

See Killarney are having a new festival this year,a music and food festival

http://traleetoday.ie/incredible-line-music-acts-killarney-festival-music-food/

It doesn't say where its been held but I am assuming Fitzgerald Stadium?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Sorry folks, I know this isn't a GAA thread but I can't find a Kerry one so here's my question.
    I know there's a GAA team in Tralee called 'The Naries' and I know it's not Stacks.
    My question is where does the name come from as I can't find a 'narie' in any dictionary?
    Have asked a few Kerry friends but came p blank.
    Last resort here....................thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

wackokid wrote: »
    Sorry folks, I know this isn't a GAA thread but I can't find a Kerry one so here's my question.
    I know there's a GAA team in Tralee called 'The Naries' and I know it's not Stacks.
    My question is where does the name come from as I can't find a 'narie' in any dictionary?
    Have asked a few Kerry friends but came p blank.
    Last resort here....................thanks in advance

Its the name of Kerins O Rahillys.
    They used pick the old rotten oranges from the dump and eat them. The oranges came from Spain - named naranja - hence the name naries/narie pickers.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

They used pick the old rotten oranges from the dump and eat them. The oranges came from Spain - named naranja - hence the name naries/narie pickers.

You are most kind COUNTERLOCK.
    Many thanks for that.

That refutes the account I heard since my post that narie was another local name for a perrywinkle and the people of that area lived on these during the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

This is the story Iv heard too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    hint hint Rose of Tralee!!!!

Agree !:)

Fair play to Killarney they never give up, instead they become more and more creative and inventive. They are excellent at the hospitality business and everyone pulls together.

The Rose of Tralee/ Kerry Festival needs to up the game in Tralee before the Rose moves to Killarney. I appreciate the Rose of Tralee has been going for 50+years, it does not mean it will stay in Tralee. :) IMHO !!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Agree !:)

Fair play to Killarney they never give up, instead they become more and more creative and inventive. They are excellent at the hospitality business and everyone pulls together.

The Rose of Tralee/ Kerry Festival needs to up the game in Tralee before the Rose moves to Killarney. I appreciate the Rose of Tralee has been going for 50+years, it does not mean it will stay in Tralee. :) IMHO !!!!

it needs to up the game big time. Last year was very disappointing, in my opinion. The year before felt like it was getting back to being decent again, and I thought last year would be even better!

I wonder how Killarney are funding it, besides the ticket sales. Are businesses helping out? Most businesses in Tralee do contribute towards the festival, but how are Killarney able to get so many good acts, and its the opposite for Tralee?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

great to see Ballygarry Hotel listed as one of the top 5 of the best hotels in Ireland on the TripAdvisor Travellers choice awards. Well done to Padraig & all his staff. Its a lovely hotel, and Nadur Spa is amazing, pure luxury!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sweetsugar

Hi can anyone help
    Looking for the tel number for currys/pc world in Tralee. Not 1890 ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

sweetsugar wrote: »
    Hi can anyone help
    Looking for the tel number for currys/pc world in Tralee. Not 1890 ..

Store tel: 066 716 2800

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

No need to apologise at all, 'The Naries' are a ethnic minority in Tralee who are often persecuted for their way of life, it all goes way beyond the GAA.
    wackokid wrote: »

Sorry but if I don't visit the Tralee thread to read about Killarney, M.O.D.S can these post be moved to the relevant thread :)
    See Killarney are having a new festival this year,a music and food festival

http://traleetoday.ie/incredible-line-music-acts-killarney-festival-music-food/

I am sure the local bussnesses will jump in with this (Westport's loss eh) but with weekend tickets at ~€150 they wound be should be on a good footing.

On the other hand the RoT had a job to get people to part with €10 for an evening of music !
    I wonder how Killarney are funding it, besides the ticket sales. Are businesses helping out? Most businesses in Tralee do contribute towards the festival...

The RoT gets the acts it's wants...

My predictions for this years line up:

Some country and Irish act
    Some act that was on a TV talent show a few years back,
    Some been-about-for-a-bit Irish act who are having a comeback
    Richie Kavanagh
    Sharron Shannon
    The garda band

I wonder how Killarney are funding it, besides the ticket sales. Are businesses helping out? Most businesses in Tralee do contribute towards the festival, but how are Killarney able to get so many good acts, and its the opposite for Tralee?

kingdumb wrote: »

Richie Kavanagh
    Sharron Shannon
    The garda band

Some ex Elvis impersonator too

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭floutingmaxims

Hi,

I was wondering does anybody know of any sean nós classes going on in Tralee? :)

Cawcheen wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering does anybody know of any sean nós classes going on in Tralee? :)

*Tumbleweed*

Cawcheen wrote: »
    Hi,

I've never heard of anything like that in Tralee, that's not to say that there isn't. Maybe someone might be able to help?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Best bet might be to ring Siamsa tire centre they might know someone who does sean nos.
    Local comhaltas group might be a help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

kingdumb wrote: »

Richie Kavanagh
    Sharron Shannon
    The garda band

Dont forget the Shaggin Coronas:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Dont forget the Shaggin Coronas:rolleyes:

Oh believe me, I've fckin tried!

there is a new cafe & bakery going in where Charlie Nelligan's was in the Mall!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Opening soon? I miss Nelligan's filled rolls with a passion. They were as good as any meal for €3.50.

Yeah, it's a Polish guy from Galway, hes keeping the old staff as far as I'm aware......

Nelliganwizikys perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

Talking of Polish people, who remembers a Polish goalkeeper of the early 1970s, name, Jan Tomaszewski, best remembered for playing a blinder at Wembley and almost single handedly denied an English team a must win result to qualify for the world cup. They might get Jan to do the opening, himself and Charlie would be a great draw.

boroman wrote: »
    Talking of Polish people, who remembers a Polish goalkeeper of the early 1970s, name, Jan Tomaszewski, best remembered for playing a blinder at Wembley and almost single handedly denied an English team a must win result to qualify for the world cup. They might get Jan to do the opening, himself and Charlie would be a great draw.

He was called The Cat after that game I think

A cat, that was after the game, Oct. 1973, however the English manager, Brian Clough, yea, the one and only, incensed the opposition by calling the goalkeeper, a clown. The following year 1974, he was rated best goalie at the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Sorry, typed before saw previous post.Sad to say am old enough to remember that, think Brian Clough described him as a clown before the game.:D

I am giving my age away, I was at the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭DubCul

Alf Ramsey was manager, Clough wasn't considered PC enough to ever be England manager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement