Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭boroman

I am really giving the age away, am slipping, of course your right, Sir Alf, like myself, was in the deep autumn of his great career.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Keep the chat to Tralee related topics please...this is off topic chit chat!
    Thanks
    MOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Lisha wrote: »
    Best bet might be to ring Siamsa tire centre they might know someone who does sean nos.
    Local comhaltas group might be a help too.

What are sean nos please?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

What are sean nos please?:confused:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean-nós_song

Old style irish singing and dancing, I'm sure if you YouTube it you'll find plenty if examples

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

anyone have their power out in Tralee tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Lisha wrote: »
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean-nós_song

Old style irish singing and dancing, I'm sure if you YouTube it you'll find plenty if examples

Thanks Lisha,

D.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

Wang King wrote: »
    He was called The Cat after that game I think

Former Chelsea goalkeeper Peter Bonetti was The Cat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So a school that has been place for the last 150 years has been refused permission to allow the building of new extension,

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/refusal-to-grant-planning-permission-for-a-north-kerry-school-referred-to-an-bord-pleanala/

Also just seen this,when was the last time there was a shop open upstairs in the Shopping Centre?

http://traleetoday.ie/units-tralee-shopping-centre-auctioned-next-month/

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kimbaines

Ten new Jobs in new Cafe - Formerly Charlie Nelligans!

Whilst it is great that 10 jobs are being created in this new cafe, one has to ask how many did Charlie Nelligans employ before it closed?
    Also whilst it is also good news that this facility is re-opening quickly i think it is a pity that it is yet another Cafe / Coffee shop opening and not something different. Tralee is becoming over-run with cafes & coffee shops at the moment and the problem is that they are all taking business away from one another. After all there is only a certain amount of business available in a town like Tralee. On Denny street there are at least 6 places where you can get a coffee ( Mary Anns / DB's / Roast House / Costa / Grand / Imperial) and that isn't even the main street.
    Most of the businesses in Tralee are struggling and with the rise in online shopping i think we will see a demise in our town centre and the small family run businesses, which will be a great shame. Everyone needs to support the local business and keep the local economy moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I think you said it when you mentioned the rise of online shopping. Dining out is probably one of the few things you cannot do online yet, hence there will always be a demand for physical bricks and mortar eating establishments.

I do agree with your questioning on how all the cafes can successfully compete for the same custom. However, in a free market it is always about survival of the fittest. And if this new venture out-performs an under performing competitor who is then forced to shut down, while it's regrettable for that business, the consumer ends up winning because the standard and quality benchmark has improved. I will not give repeat business to a cafe/bar/restaurant that offers poor service or product (I've been to a few in Tralee) but I will constantly give it to someone who matches or exceeds my expectations (lots more in Tralee). That is what all cafes and restaurants should be striving for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

If the new operator can replicate Charlie's filled rolls he will get my business. I haven't had one since Charlie shutdown as I really do not want the subway muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

kn wrote: »
    If the new operator can replicate Charlie's filled rolls he will get my business. I haven't had one since Charlie shutdown as I really do not want the subway muck.

Agreed. Cannot for the life of me understand this obsession with Subway :eek:. Is it just teenagers see it on US tv shows and decide that they too want some?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

shergar22 wrote: »
    Agreed. Cannot for the life of me understand this obsession with Subway :eek:. Is it just teenagers see it on US tv shows and decide that they too want some?

Have you tried the foot long meatball marinara???? mmmmm!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

ongarboy wrote: »
    Have you tried the foot long meatball marinara???? mmmmm!!
    Luke warm sloppy muck on soggy re-heated bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Bailys corner is the only place to go for a decent feed at lunch.

kn wrote: »

I'm not a fan of Subway sandwiches, in any of the Subways!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Subway even smells wrong.

Best sandwiches in tralee by a zillion miles in Kingdom foods though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Always liked the food Maeve and Pat produce, wonderful sandwiches.
    Unlike Charlie's, where IMO, it was a crusty roll with a little ham and sloppings of coleslaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I mentioned it here before but a taste of Italy on Edward Street does super sandwiches. It's up there with Kingdom foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭clare82

Hey,
    Can anyone tell me or direct me to info on the tralee people's bus service? I need to get to manor west sc from oakpark tomorrow. I know I've seen it around oakpark but no idea re route or schedule time price etc

Tia ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Where is Kingdom foods located, and that Italian place just mentioned please?
    Whenever I'm in Tralee I'm usually at a loss where would be good to eat.

Aimeee wrote: »
    Where is Kingdom foods located, and that Italian place just mentioned please?
    Whenever I'm in Tralee I'm usually at a loss where would be good to eat.

Kingdom foods is up near the Applegreen petrol station in Fairies cross, on the same side of the medical centre.

Taste of Italy is on Edward street, a few doors down from the post office.

both are only take-away food, no seating.

clare82 wrote: »
    Hey,
    Can anyone tell me or direct me to info on the tralee people's bus service? I need to get to manor west sc from oakpark tomorrow. I know I've seen it around oakpark but no idea re route or schedule time price etc

Tia ;)

I have seen them pick up near Muing estate, but I think maybe out on the main Oakpark road though near there. Not sure exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Kingdom foods has been closed for a while. What's going on there?

Adiboo wrote: »
    Kingdom foods has been closed for a while. What's going on there?

was thinking that myself, seemed closed the past few times I passed. Do they not take holidays this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    was thinking that myself, seemed closed the past few times I passed. Do they not take holidays this time of year?

I think they usually take the best part of January off.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Kingdom foods is up near the Applegreen petrol station in Fairies cross, on the same side of the medical centre.

Taste of Italy is on Edward street, a few doors down from the post office.

both are only take-away food, no seating.

Thank you for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I don't get all the hate on this thread for Subway. Okay, there are better places to eat, Subway is basically a fast food joint that sells rolls. But no matter where you go, whether it's Tralee, Sligo or London you know what you're getting. I actually enjoy an oul Meatball Marinara myself. However, in line with a couple of other posters, I'm really hoping the new place replacing Charlie Nelligans serves up the same fare as it ever did. Lovely rolls with generous fillings. The demand is certainly there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

TBH, the quality of the ingredients in Subway wouldn't be a patch on what you'd get in Kingdom foods or Taste of Italy or even the daily grind for that matter, but people are willing to pay more for Subway for some reason. The meat in subway is extremely processed IMHO. I'm sure it's grand in moderation though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I don't get all the hate on this thread for Subway. Okay, there are better places to eat, Subway is basically a fast food joint that sells rolls. But no matter where you go, whether it's Tralee, Sligo or London you know what you're getting. I actually enjoy an oul Meatball Marinara myself. However, in line with a couple of other posters, I'm really hoping the new place replacing Charlie Nelligans serves up the same fare as it ever did. Lovely rolls with generous fillings. The demand is certainly there.

In fairness there was a qualitative difference between Nelligan's and Subway at similar prices. Nelligans bread was fresh, fluffy and the fillings were generous to say the least. I nearly always got the ham, chesse, tomato, lettuce and coleslaw which for €3.50 was as good as any meal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement