Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

kn wrote: »
    In fairness there was a qualitative difference between Nelligan's and Subway at similar prices. Nelligans bread was fresh, fluffy and the fillings were generous to say the least. I nearly always got the ham, chesse, tomato, lettuce and coleslaw which for €3.50 was as good as any meal.

Oh definitely, don't get me wrong, if I was starving there was never anything to bate a roll out of Charlie Nelligans! But I just dont think Subway is as crap as people are making out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Oh definitely, don't get me wrong, if I was starving there was never anything to bate a roll out of Charlie Nelligans! But I just dont think Subway is as crap as people are making out.

each to their own, it may not be crap to you, but to others it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

Anyone noticed that the Town Park Playground is overrun by teenagers after school hours? I've been there last Sunday with my daughters and there were around 30 of them hanging around with no business other that to annoy parents with small children.

I don't know if people are aware that we'll have a new Playground at Wetlands, just beside the main building. Thank God and people that had that idea!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

snams wrote: »
    Anyone noticed that the Town Park Playground is overrun by teenagers after school hours? I've been there last Sunday with my daughters and there were around 30 of them hanging around with no business other that to annoy parents with small children.

I don't know if people are aware that we'll have a new Playground at Wetlands, just beside the main building. Thank God and people that had that idea!

I didn't realise there was a new playground at the Wetlands, great idea! I just hope the teens don't find out!

I have heard a lot of people complain about them hanging around the playground area in the park. The Gardai should take a walk in there & hunt them, its not fair on young kids who want to play there.

Joe Brolly was a surprise guest at the Austin Stacks corporate fund-raiser lunch today in Ballygarry!

http://traleetoday.ie/whaddya-think-joe-turning-like-kieran/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    Joe Brolly was a surprise guest at the Austin Stacks corporate fund-raiser lunch today in Ballygarry!

http://traleetoday.ie/whaddya-think-joe-turning-like-kieran/

Well its not as if they could announce it in advance - an ambush would have been awaiting him! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I didn't realise there was a new playground at the Wetlands, great idea! I just hope the teens don't find out!

I have heard a lot of people complain about them hanging around the playground area in the park. The Gardai should take a walk in there & hunt them, its not fair on young kids who want to play there.

To be fair, I think the Ladies and Gentlemen in Tralee Garda Station do a fantastic job , with limited resources.

Sure I agree the playground is not the area for teenagers to "hang out" , nonetheless it is marginally better than the antics on the Railway Bridge near Earl of Desmond recently.

It would be interesting to find out from the parents whose children were prevented from playing actually reported the matter to the Gardai.

The Town Park is a wonderful facility in the heart of the town, if the Gardai are unaware of the issue , it is hard to deal with the problem .

By the way I heard mention of a climbing wall being built in the Wetlands also. Grest facility for rock climbers.

Well its not as if they could announce it in advance - an ambush would have been awaiting him! :)

Aye , aye, aye!!!:D

To be fair, I think the Ladies and Gentlemen in Tralee Garda Station do a fantastic job , with limited resources.

Sure I agree the playground is not the area for teenagers to "hang out" , nonetheless it is marginally better than the antics on the Railway Bridge near Earl of Desmond recently.

It would be interesting to find out from the parents whose children were prevented from playing actually reported the matter to the Gardai.

The Town Park is a wonderful facility in the heart of the town, if the Gardai are unaware of the issue , it is hard to deal with the problem .

By the way I heard mention of a climbing wall being built in the Wetlands also. Grest facility for rock climbers.

The Gardai are aware of this problem, parents I know have called them over it. Obviously they can't be there all the time & not saying they don't do a good job. These teens won't just move on and stay away because someone tells them to, even if it is the Gardai, they will continue to come back!
    There is very little for teens to do in Tralee, not many places for them to hang out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The Gardai are aware of this problem, parents I know have called them over it. Obviously they can't be there all the time & not saying they don't do a good job. These teens won't just move on and stay away because someone tells them to, even if it is the Gardai, they will continue to come back!
    There is very little for teens to do in Tralee, not many places for them to hang out.

A smartphone cafe??

They can spend their time taking selfies with the duck face pose :D

• Advertisement

A smartphone cafe??

They can spend their time taking selfies :D

is the KDYS open for teens to 'hang out'?
    I remember we had the bowling alley when I was a teen. There wasn't much else though! Although we did have Social Action and SAM too! I was in Social Action....was anyone else here?? My sisters were in SAM! there was always a bit of rivalry! :D

True, however Tralee has a higher number of Sports Clubs, GAA, Soccer , Rugby etc. which makes it the envy of other towns , especially Killarney !:D

What about the new bowling alley and race track you mentioned here recently ?

I agree they should have some responsility in terms of giving something to the community, perhaps along the lines of SAM. It would be a win/win for all. Guess idle hands , hanging around does lead to social problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

is the KDYS open for teens to 'hang out'?
    I remember we had the bowling alley when I was a teen. There wasn't much else though! Although we did have Social Action and SAM too! I was in Social Action....was anyone else here?? My sisters were in SAM! there was always a bit of rivalry! :D

I was in social action, bed push from cork to Tralee was....fun

Wang King wrote: »
    I was in social action, bed push from cork to Tralee was....fun

what year was that? I was in it in 1992! we only did the push to Killarney...and when I say push, we pushed it to the old Tralee-Killarney road, got on a bus to Killarney and pushed it through the town! We stayed the night there in some hostel!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

what year was that? I was in it in 1992! we only did the push to Killarney...and when I say push, we pushed it to the old Tralee-Killarney road, got on a bus to Killarney and pushed it through the town! We stayed the night there in some hostel!

It was before 1992....that's all I'm saying ;)
    And we did a few laps of cork, collected at the traffic lights, drove to killarney, stayed in a primary school and then drove to the outskirts of Tralee the next morning and pushed the bed into town.

Ah.............yes . A bed push Kerry Shtyle !:D

Fair play nonetheless, you obviously have it logged as a very happy memory.

It is the taking part and having fun which counts . Well done !:)

Ground Works and construction of a stone boundary wall has commenced across the road from O'Donnells.

I understand there will be 12 units in total with a price range of €350 K to €500k

The Celtic Tiger is back !:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

The Celtic Tiger is back !:)

It will be curtailed.

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    It will be curtailed.

We have to tighten our belts - eh CJ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Nothing wrong with houses selling, it means there's cash flowing in the economy again. The new central bank laws means the banks can't give loans to people who can't afford them (in theory anyway)

• Advertisement

Someone is really trying to sell a hospital pass on to some unsuspecting idiot:

http://www.allsopspace.ie/auction/lot/31342

Selling 10 of the units in the Tralee Shopping Centre with two rented out at €95000. However look at the detail. Shoezone are paying €75k of it but they are freed from the lease in 2016. I suspect that they are only paying the rent because the lessor is probably hung on a personal guarantee for it in default. Circa €1500/week for a shoe shop I barely ever see anyone in when I'm passing at least!! Come 2016 I bet the tenant is out of there and you have another vacant unit or if relet it will be at a fraction of the €75k.

Plus the other 'rented' unit is being 'overheld' from a 1 year lease in 2008 which can actually mean anything from the tenant is not paying rent, only a portion of the rent, or maybe there is some verbal (not worth the paper its not written on) agreement for a continuing tenancy, or maybe there is an ongoing legal dispute - in any case it means headache!

I noticed that the gift shop 'Inspired' in the square has closed. It didn't seem to be open for too long. The boutique 'Lipstique' in Bridge street (near the EBS) has also closed. Still tough out there for businesses, especially the likes of clothing stores etc.

It has been a quiet January that's for sure!

I see the lease on Subway is for sale. Maybe they are eyeing up a better located unit and are trying the shift their current lease.

I see the lease on Subway is for sale. Maybe they are eyeing up a better located unit and are trying the shift their current lease.

possibly looking for a bigger place? its a bit tight in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Is that the one in the square or the one in Oakpark?.

T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Was there many at the water protest today?

I noticed that the gift shop 'Inspired' in the square has closed. It didn't seem to be open for too long. The boutique 'Lipstique' in Bridge street (near the EBS) has also closed. Still tough out there for businesses, especially the likes of clothing stores etc.

It has been a quiet January that's for sure!

Indeed it has been a very quiet January for retailers, though bigger ticket items like property and cars appear to be moving !:):)

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with houses selling, it means there's cash flowing in the economy again. The new central bank laws means the banks can't give loans to people who can't afford them (in theory anyway)

Delighted to see money flowing again, should help jobs in construction sector.

It also shows a level of confidence that the economy is improving.

Banks will be more selective in giving out loans, however they are at least lending again which is a positive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

If someone wants to hire me as a consultant to suggest solutions to these issues I would be happy to... ah feck it.

Turn the shopping center into a market, target the units for rental by local growers, bakers, deli, artisan food types, common seating in the middle.

Pedestrianise Russell street and within a couple of years you wouldn't have a single vacant unit on it, it would be the nicest street in town, oh ya and change the name !

Selling 10 of the units in the Tralee Shopping Centre with two rented out at €95000. However look at the detail. Shoezone are paying €75k of it but they are freed from the lease in 2016. I suspect that they are only paying the rent because the lessor is probably hung on a personal guarantee for it in default.
    The boutique 'Lipstique' in Bridge street (near the EBS) has also closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement