Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

TigerTim wrote: »
    Is that the one in the square or the one in Oakpark?.

T.

The Square.

It just never ceases to amaze me the level of both commercial and residential listings for Tralee on daft. Its like half the Town is permanently for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I just looked up, and there is currently over 650 properties for sale advertised on daft in Tralee.
    That seems way more than in any other similar size town in Ireland.

Does that mean that property market in Tralee is suffering from oversupply at the moment? Were there too many houses and apartments built here during the boom? Are there plenty of vacant properties? Or is there any other reason for it?

Just asking, as I've never been to Tralee myself.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

CiniO wrote: »
    I just looked up, and there is currently over 650 properties for sale advertised on daft in Tralee.

Does that mean that property market in Tralee is suffering from oversupply at the moment? Were there too many houses and apartments built here during the boom? Are there plenty of vacant properties? Or is there any other reason for it?

moved into the Tralee thread
    mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

You will see a large amount of commercial properties for sale on daft.ie and at no time is the owner actually contemplating selling the business....
    In the case of deserted or near deserted properties and shopping malls, they are used as a tax write off. It can actually be more beneficial to have a building almost empty than to have full tenancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Wang King wrote: »
    You will see a large amount of commercial properties for sale on daft.ie and at no time is the owner actually contemplating selling the business....
    In the case of deserted or near deserted properties and shopping malls, they are used as a tax write off. It can actually be more beneficial to have a building almost empty than to have full tenancy

I probably should have been more clear, but I referred to residential properties only (houses, apartments, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I probably should have been more clear, but I referred to residential properties only (houses, apartments, etc).

Not really, if you take in socio economic factors, emigration, property speculation, over reaching builders, Kerry and Tralee are nowhere near the top of the list. Donegal and Longford are badly hit, Waterford city is on record as being the worst place in Ireland for unoccupied dwellings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I have often seen 850-900 property listings for Tralee so 650 is actually not a big number. I reckon the main factor is just the economy down here - outside of the public sector employment there is really nothing in the Town worth talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The opposite is the case. The vast majority of those houses have been on daft for years but the auctioneers don't bother taking them down if they haven't been sold. There's only a tiny trickle of properties coming through at the moment and they are being snapped up very quickly if they are good quality. The rest are are just €40,000 - €70,000 wrecks that you couldn't do much with. There's not much value to be had in Tralee either. It could really do with some building to start up again. The demand is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

xxyyzz wrote: »
    The opposite is the case. The vast majority of those houses have been on daft for years but the auctioneers don't bother taking them down if they haven't been sold. There's only a tiny trickle of properties coming through at the moment and they are being snapped up very quickly if they are good quality. The rest are are just €40,000 - €70,000 wrecks that you couldn't do much with. There's not much value to be had in Tralee either. It could really do with some building to start up again. The demand is there.

Yes, I am aware of a property which sold three years ago , however it remains for sale on an agent's site.:confused:, . The wrecks mentioned above would have a nominal site value only.

• Advertisement

kn wrote: »
    I have often seen 850-900 property listings for Tralee so 650 is actually not a big number. I reckon the main factor is just the economy down here - outside of the public sector employment there is really nothing in the Town worth talking about.

True indeed, even the public sector employment , take home spend has reduced due to reduction in number of higher earners. Financial Institutions have similarly scaled down operations, with customer support being supplied from a shed in Belfast or India !

Tralee IT remains a significant employer and there has been significant growth in IT related businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

I created a post here yesterday which seems to have disappeared.
    Could someone see what happened to it, if it was deleted on purpose could I ask for a reason why ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Have restored the post for you, kingdumb. Can you explain it a little bit about it for us with short time spans? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Thanks for that Ruu,

Sure, it is by a young Tralee writer, a short piece of fiction set in Tralee 50 years from now, I came across it and thought it might be of interest to the Tralee tread.

Now, can I ask why it was deleted ?
    Ruu wrote: »
    Have restored the post for you, kingdumb. Can you explain it a little bit about it for us with short time spans? :D

kingdumb wrote: »
    Thanks for that Ruu,

Sure, it is by a young Tralee writer, a short piece of fiction set in Tralee 50 years from now, I came across it and thought it might be of interest to the Tralee tread.

Here! Here ! It was kind of obvious that it was the writing of a bard, commentating on Tralee Night life past present or future.

Agree it should not have been deleted.

If someone had an issue with it why not PM the OP rather than causing any embarrassment to the writer or MODs:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just on the property oversupply, there was a supplement in last week's Saturday Irish Independent on property prices in each county in Ireland. They interviewed a well known auctioneer from Tralee who said there was a critical shortage of rental properties in Tralee so buying a buy to let would be a "wise" move. That is absolute baloney!! There is loads of properties out there for rent or to sale in Tralee so talk of a critical shortage is nonsense. I think they say or exaggerate these things as fact just to try and prompt people to hurry out and buy.

He also said the 100 jobs created by the two hotels reopening would fuel demand for house purchases also in central locations. Most of those jobs are going to be minimum or near minimum wage (as it the norm in hotel/hospitality/catering). I can't really see the lounge boy or kitchen porter seeking or getting a mortgage that will fuel a new boom??

ongarboy wrote: »
    Just on the property oversupply, there was a supplement in last week's Saturday Irish Independent on property prices in each county in Ireland. They interviewed a well known auctioneer from Tralee who said there was a critical shortage of rental properties in Tralee so buying a buy to let would be a "wise" move. That is absolute baloney!! There is loads of properties out there for rent or to sale in Tralee so talk of a critical shortage is nonsense. I think they say or exaggerate these things as fact just to try and prompt people to hurry out and buy.

He also said the 100 jobs created by the two hotels reopening would fuel demand for house purchases also in central locations. Most of those jobs are going to be minimum or near minimum wage (as it the norm in hotel/hospitality/catering). I can't really see the lounge boy or kitchen porter seeking or getting a mortgage that will fuel a new boom??

What was he/she smoking at the time of interview?
    Agree totally, I guess Auctioneers have a role in talking up the market?? Indeed yesterday I spotted a 1 bed Apartment in The Parklands for €25K Sounds like a bargain? Think again, it has no car space and the annual Mgmt charge is north of €1000 pa.

Auctioneers are generally nice people but I suspect they are jumping on the bandwagon again. " Executive homes in a sylvan setting " =Expensive houses in the middle of nowhere!!! They are some of the finest Spin Doctors ! This time around they will have to work a lot harder than being merely order takers during the last boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

kingdumb wrote: »
    Thanks for that Ruu,

Sorry that was my mistake there, kingdumb. I had my mod hat on and mistakenly took it to be spam or spam like without looking into it more deeply like I should have. We all make mistakes and aren't robots (except I am a bot).

Thanks for explaining it further. Carry on folks!

There is loads of properties out there for rent or to sale in Tralee so talk of a critical shortage is nonsense.

There really isn't. (for sale anyway). We've just finally managed to buy a house after months and months of searching and we just got lucky with timing. There are plenty of < €100,000 properties for sale but if you are looking for a quality house in the range of say €200,000 to €300,000 its a desert out there. Nobody is selling because people bought at the top of the market and they're in negative equity now. As for rentals, there is rental property out there but it's mostly aimed at students or young single people. For renting to be a viable alternative to buying a house there needs to be properties that are suitable for families and the rent laws need to work in the renter's favour e.g. long term leases like they have in Germany. Currently a landlord can kick you out at a month's notice.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    There really isn't. (for sale anyway). We've just finally managed to buy a house after months and months of searching and we just got lucky with timing. There are plenty of < €100,000 properties for sale but if you are looking for a quality house in the range of say €200,000 to €300,000 its a desert out there. Nobody is selling because people bought at the top of the market and they're in negative equity now. As for rentals, there is rental property out there but it's mostly aimed at students or young single people. For renting to be a viable alternative to buying a house there needs to be properties that are suitable for families and the rent laws need to work in the renter's favour e.g. long term leases like they have in Germany. Currently a landlord can kick you out at a month's notice.

Well done on securing your new home. !
    The other side of the coin, properties in the €200k to €300 k bracket, not all owners are in negative equity, rather many homeowners are in a settled area with easy access to Town, Shops, Schools , Creche , College, Sports , Facilities, so more than likely will not be trading for 5/10 years depending on family profile.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 kimbaines

I must admit to getting annoyed with certain people on this thread always knocking Tralee. Comments like "Nothing to do" Nothing worth talking about going on" etc etc. In my opinion Tralee is a very good town with lots going on all year round. Whenever visitors from all over the Country come to stay with me they always say how good they think Tralee is. It has loads of facilities which they enjoy like the Aqua Dome, Cinema, Museum, Siamsa to name just a few and then add in easy access to Mountains and beaches, plus great shopping in the town. Add in lots of events and activities - What more do you want????
    Try and spread a little pride in our town - It might just be infectious!

kimbaines wrote: »
    I must admit to getting annoyed with certain people on this thread always knocking Tralee. Comments like "Nothing to do" Nothing worth talking about going on" etc etc. In my opinion Tralee is a very good town with lots going on all year round. Whenever visitors from all over the Country come to stay with me they always say how good they think Tralee is. It has loads of facilities which they enjoy like the Aqua Dome, Cinema, Museum, Siamsa to name just a few and then add in easy access to Mountains and beaches, plus great shopping in the town. Add in lots of events and activities - What more do you want????

I suggest you steer clear of the grimmest places in Ireland thread in after hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Aquadome - overpriced and not suitable for proper swimming
    Museum- are you having a laugh?
    Cinema - all towns have one in fairness
    Siamsa - I'm yet to see anything that interests the general public on there.

Poor examples IMO.

Saying that,

We do have the rose of tralee, some of the best beaches, some great pubs, some beautiful walks, proximity to Killarney and dingle, great restaurants, an abundance of all sports, an underused and underdeveloped town park and amazing scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 harper7

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I noticed that the gift shop 'Inspired' in the square has closed. It didn't seem to be open for too long. The boutique 'Lipstique' in Bridge street (near the EBS) has also closed. Still tough out there for businesses, especially the likes of clothing stores etc.

It has been a quiet January that's for sure!

I went into that inspired place before and the girl working did not look one bit happy to be there and it was the first day !!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

harper7 wrote: »
    I went into that inspired place before and the girl working did not look one bit happy to be there and it was the first day !!!!!

it was a nice shop, and I think it was linked to some sort of community workshop of some sort (not sure of name), so many things were handmade. Its a pity it didn't last, unless it was only a short letting.

I realised the other day that there are quite a few jewellers in the town centre, 6 I think! Seems like a lot of jewellers, they must be doing ok though as most are there for years! I noticed that Cleary's jewellers just in front of Aine's cafe is relocating, don't know where to though.

I don't think there's been much 'knocking' Tralee lately, no one has really been saying anything that negative. I mentioned there been very little to do for young teens etc in the town on a regular basis, not that there's nothing to do in Tralee. That's not being negative or bashing the town, that's just stating a fact that there isn't really anywhere for teens to hang out so as not to have them hanging around playgrounds or the streets etc.

There is plenty of great attractions in Tralee, but not everyone can afford to go to those places on a regular basis, unless you are just visiting or bringing visitors to them when they visit. The board is to chat about various things in the town, not everything is going to be positive unfortunately, but I don't think the boardies here have no pride in the town! We all want to see things improve here, so that there is more to attract people, nothing wrong with that!

Well done on securing your new home. !
    The other side of the coin, properties in the €200k to €300 k bracket, not all owners are in negative equity, rather many homeowners are in a settled area with easy access to Town, Shops, Schools , Creche , College, Sports , Facilities, so more than likely will not be trading for 5/10 years depending on family profile.:)

We bought in 2005 with the plan that it was just our starter home, and now we are stuck in a negative equity property that we would rather not be in anymore! We have tried looking for something else, but there is so little out there and it all seems to be properties similar to what we already own or what we do like is totally out of our price bracket! Its very disheartening, but nothing we can do for now but sit tight for another few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

harper7 wrote: »

"Inspired" was an idea by Parents of Intellectually Disabled people to provide work and training in a mainstream environment. Regretfully the retail part of this project did not succeed but other courses are continuing in the building.

Funding for the project came from Parents and some benefactors but as it is not a registered charity, it does not receive HSE money.

The people of Tralee IMO had or have an opportunity to practice Inclusiveness not just talk about Inclusion and in light of what happened in Aras Attracta and other such units, Parents should be commended for attempting to make Inclusiveness part of the fabric of Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Siamsa - I'm yet to see anything that interests the general public on there.

I wouldn't be a theatre buff but was home at the weekend and saw the little booklet that Siamsa Tire give out on upcoming events and I was blown away by the diverse variety of events that are coming to the theatre over the next few months (comedy, soul/blues, childrens shows, showband gigs, folk/ballads, dramas, one man shows etc). Many of the visting performances have been critically acclaimed at prestigious theatre and comedy festivals. While much of what's on wouldn't necessarily interest me, a couple of the shows would as would others for people of different tastes and interests. For a town the size of Tralee, it's a fantastic amenity and cultural option.

The one woman show by Eilish O'Carroll (Brendan's sister) sounds particularly interesting!

Out of interest, what would be an example of something that would interest "the general public"?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be a theatre buff but was home at the weekend and saw the little booklet that Siamsa Tire give out on upcoming events and I was blown away by the diverse variety of events that are coming to the theatre over the next few months (comedy, soul/blues, childrens shows, showband gigs, folk/ballads, dramas, one man shows etc). Many of the visting performances have been critically acclaimed at prestigious theatre and comedy festivals. While much of what's on wouldn't necessarily interest me, a couple of the shows would as would others for people of different tastes and interests. For a town the size of Tralee, it's a fantastic amenity and cultural option.

The one woman show by Eilish O'Carroll (Brendan's sister) sounds particularly interesting!

Out of interest, what would be an example of something that would interest "the general public"?

that's right, there are a lot of shows happening in Siamsa all year round. They have the booklet online both on their website and facebook page for anyone who wants to have a look at it.
    https://www.facebook.com/SiamsaTire?fref=ts

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement