Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Tralee Rowing Club are planning a 24 hour 'Rowathon' to fundraise!]
    http://traleetoday.ie/24-hour-rowathon-tralee-hopes-raise-clubhouse-funds/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Something for the general public would be a nationally recognised concert.

Somebody who's well known and well liked.

Killarney get concerts every year that would sell thousands of seats.

Tralee should be aiming for christy Moore, data o Briaiin, Alan Carr etc etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Something for the general public would be a nationally recognised concert.

Somebody who's well known and well liked.

Killarney get concerts every year that would sell thousands of seats.

Tralee should be aiming for christy Moore, data o Briaiin, Alan Carr etc etc.

This is where an events centre is badly needed! Siamsa isn't big enough. Hopefully the Rose of Tralee will build an events centre to host the festival, but also be able to be used for events as you mentioned, all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    This is where an events centre is badly needed! Siamsa isn't big enough. Hopefully the Rose of Tralee will build an events centre to host the festival, but also be able to be used for events as you mentioned, all year round.

What about the Brandon conference centre? I remember Christy Moore played there a few times.

The Rose of Tralee head dudes and dudettes would badly want to their ass in gear and build an event centre tho,a lot of talk about it but no action.

What about the Brandon conference centre? I remember Christy Moore played there a few times.

The Rose of Tralee head dudes and dudettes would badly want to their ass in gear and build an event centre tho,a lot of talk about it but no action.

they have to try & buy Fels Point hotel before they can do this I think, and there's no guarantee they will successfully bid for the hotel!

I don't think there's been much on in the Brandon of late. There used to always be good acts playing there. I remember going to see Mary Black there years & years ago!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

Hi All,

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced mobile hairdresser in tralee area? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

White Elephant.

There are three theatres in North Kerry (Tralee, Listowel & Ballybunion) all within 20 miles of each other.

There is an events centre in Killarney, 20 miles from Tralee.

Have we learned anything from the Celtic Tiger days?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 kimbaines

Tralee isn't big enough for an events centre and it certainly would not get the support of the local population. I have seen major acts here in Tralee for free during the Rose of Tralee which attracted only an audience of a few hundred (Jools Holland is an example) so expecting people to pay is another step altogether. The only reason Killarney survives is on the tourism numbers it manages to attract.
    The festival in Killarney which some were raving about is charging over 70 euro for a day ticket - How many in Tralee would be prepared to pay that?
    People are also criticising the Rose of Tralee. Well this is an event that puts Tralee on the map the world over but is very reliant on contributions from local businesses in order to put together an entertainment programme for 5 days. They have a budget and must work within which they do very well in my opinion. If they collected more money from the town they would be able to do a better job - Simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

With a week of annual events for the festival year in year out then a permanent structure becomes viable. Maybe something of around 1000-1500 capacity including a balcony with bars etc. It would be available for live (sit-down) concerts, plays and maybe a screen for for once off showing of documentaries etc.

John Delaney menswear is closing after 37 years due to retirement.
    http://traleetoday.ie/john-delaney-close-soon-marian-looks-forward-retirement/

Shindig are also on the move, they are moving from their Bridge street store and are re-opening in where Stuarts were on Ashe street. They also now have a shop in Manor just opposite Debenhams.

• Advertisement

kn wrote: »
    With a week of annual events for the festival year in year out then a permanent structure becomes viable. Maybe something of around 1000-1500 capacity including a balcony with bars etc. It would be available for live (sit-down) concerts, plays and maybe a screen for for once off showing of documentaries etc.

yes its definitely viable! I can't see why we couldn't have an events centre! It would be great for the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

John Delaney menswear is closing after 37 years due to retirement.
    http://traleetoday.ie/john-delaney-close-soon-marian-looks-forward-retirement/

Shindig are also on the move, they are moving from their Bridge street store and are re-opening in where Stuarts were on Ashe street. They also now have a shop in Manor just opposite Debenhams.

I think Shindig have now occupied every commercial unit in Tralee as some point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I think Shindig have now occupied every commercial unit in Tralee as some point :D

Only the British Empire have occupied more territory in Tralee over the years! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

kn wrote: »

And a place to watch a big sporting event,like an All Ireland Football Final

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

And a place to watch a big sporting event,like an All Ireland Football Final

There is already a place you can watch that, its called Croke Park;)

BPKS wrote: »
    There is already a place you can watch that, its called Croke Park;)

as in a big screen! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Just as a matter of interest, if you were going to watch a big rugby game or soccer game what pub would ye go to?

There isn't one stand out pub.

O Donnells has the best seating and TVs but absolutely zero atmosphere. You'd almost be interrupting people cheering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Just as a matter of interest, if you were going to watch a big rugby game or soccer game what pub would ye go to?

There isn't one stand out pub.

O Donnells has the best seating and TVs but absolutely zero atmosphere. You'd almost be interrupting people cheering

I'm still a fan of The Mall for rugby games, can't wait until Benners reopens

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Gill_Murph

Hi, quick question for my mother. She just started a job in The Grand Hotel, was wondering does anyone know where's the best for parking and is it possible to get weekly tickets to park? She would like somewhere nearby.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Gill_Murph wrote: »
    Hi, quick question for my mother. She just started a job in The Grand Hotel, was wondering does anyone know where's the best for parking and is it possible to get weekly tickets to park? She would like somewhere nearby.

Thanks in advance

The Brandon carpark is probably the cheapest and about 5 minutes walk. I'm not sure about weekly rates though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

It's €3 for the day I think. Not sure the minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

doovdela wrote: »
    It's €3 for the day I think. Not sure the minimum.

60c per hour in the short term - max 5 hours, 3 euro is minimum in the long term for 24 hours

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Q-Park Edward Street multi-story was €6 for a three day ticket and €10 for a five day ticket before Christmas. Not sure if those rates still apply. Normal rate is €4 per 24 hours.

Park Rite Parklands underground car park (beside small Tesco) is also €4 per 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Quackster wrote: »
    Q-Park Edward Street multi-story was €6 for a three day ticket and €10 for a five day ticket before Christmas. Not sure if those rates still apply. Normal rate is €4 per 24 hours.

Park Rite Parklands underground car park (beside small Tesco) is also €4 per 24 hours.

Park rite closes at 6.30 I think, it's also closed Sundays

Danae1 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone know of a reasonably priced mobile hairdresser in tralee area? TIA

I personally don't, but I saw this one recommended on Facebook recently

Hair & Make Up by Mary
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hair-Make-Up-by-Mary/794184363992057?sk=timeline

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

There was some commotion outside the Social Welfare's building at around 09:25. Around seven Gardai were minding the two doors and there were another few in the two cars parked outside.
    Anyone can bring any light?

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

Joan Burton was there this morning.

Good plug for Kerry, former Hollywood actor Andrew McCarthy (Pretty In Pink, St. Elmo’s Fire) has written about Kerry in the National Geographic, which also has a picture of a Kerry landmark on its cover!

http://traleetoday.ie/kerry-comes-global-attention-national-geographic-cover/

Joan Burton was there this morning.

There was a protest outside the Brogue last night as she was in there having a party 'meeting'! :rolleyes:;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

There was a protest outside the Brogue last night as she was in there having a party 'meeting'! :rolleyes:;)
    I saw four guards but no protests outside the brogue last night. The mercy mount hawk parents council pub quiz was on. Some tricky questions like : what county is lough mcrory in and what age decade is Joan Burton in. The Tainste spoke briefly at the event and asked the first question. It is great to see the Brogue back in action again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement