Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

there seems to be an abandoned car in Lidl carpark. Its a small silver Merc and the the tyres seem to be flat, both back passenger doors wide open and a bit of damage to the side of the car. I don't know if its been reported and I couldn't get the reg as I was driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Wang King wrote: »
    That whole section of castle st is used as a parking bay, and it's not on. I see the same people reoffending constantly outside takeaways and shops, it's beyond a joke now

There is a real lack of commercial parking bays in town. Drives me nuts when im attempting to park my van for work. Denny St is a particular bug bear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There is a real lack of commercial parking bays in town. Drives me nuts when im attempting to park my van for work. Denny St is a particular bug bear.

we pointed this out to one of the council guys who was in this dept, and pointed out that the loading bay's are being used for parking by non commercial cars...I even pointed out the examples of it to him close by! He didn't seem to really care and we asked why nothing was ever done about it...no answer of course!

just walked down Castle Street to see 3 cars in a row parked up on the footpath! Why are the parking wardens not literally standing on that street and stopping these people?

Just before that a guy parked up in a disabled space, no disabled disk in car and not a thing wrong with him! Its so rude and ignorant to do that!

oh and those 2 no right turn signs to stop people turning from town side of Castle street at the lights into St. John's church are clearly not working, its still happening! I really despair with drivers in this town!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I don't understand the people who continue to use that right turn into St. John's, the lights seem to be better than a few weeks ago - as in they stay green for longer on the castle st - boherbee road - but you can be in a queue behind them and miss the green, that makes my blood boil

• Advertisement

bobdcow wrote: »
    I don't understand the people who continue to use that right turn into St. John's, the lights seem to be better than a few weeks ago - as in they stay green for longer on the castle st - boherbee road - but you can be in a queue behind them and miss the green, that makes my blood boil

that's it, they hold up all the traffic coming up Castle Street by turning right, as there aren't 2 lanes, so you end up getting stuck there and the lights turn red again!

Another thing that bugs me is that sometimes when cars are parked on the path a garda car will drive by past them and nothing is done about it - I'd love to be a traffic garda for a day

Another thing that bugs me is that sometimes when cars are parked on the path a garda car will drive by past them and nothing is done about it - I'd love to be a traffic garda for a day

can I join you?? I'd love it! haha!

we'd clean up the town :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

we'd clean up the town :-)

clean out the Town more likely........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    that's it, they hold up all the traffic coming up Castle Street by turning right, as there aren't 2 lanes, so you end up getting stuck there and the lights turn red again!

But it was 2 lanes at one point and some people seem to be carrying on regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭snams

And you'll do what? You can give them a ticket alright, but that will not solve the problem as other will be parking in there when you're gone and you won't be staying there all day long.
    The solution is that the KCC to plant metal bollards.

patrol the place up and down all day, happy out giving out tickets and fines and if boredom strikes hop into my car and drive around looking for bad drivers - which wouldn't take long and fine them - at least I'll have made enough money to pay for your bollards :-)

patrol the place up and down all day, happy out giving out tickets and fines and if boredom strikes hop into my car and drive around looking for bad drivers - which wouldn't take long and fine them - at least I'll have made enough money to pay for your bollards :-)
    And who's going to fight the crime if you're patrolling up and down that stretch of road? The AGS's resources are stretched to the limit and you even think that you'll have a car to your disposal to supervise bad parking. I'm 100% backing everyone that are letting their voices being heard and I'm against that kind of parking (as a parent of twins I used to "drive" a large buggy).
    Fines will not help, but a system that'll make drivers not to park on footpaths will definitely work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

snams wrote: »
    And who's going to fight the crime if you're patrolling up and down that stretch of road? The AGS's resources are stretched to the limit and you even think that you'll have a car to your disposal to supervise bad parking. I'm 100% backing everyone that are letting their voices being heard and I'm against that kind of parking (as a parent of twins I used to "drive" a large buggy).
    Fines will not help, but a system that'll make drivers not to park on footpaths will definitely work.

Traffic wardens are still working in this town I believe?

Wang King wrote: »
    Traffic wardens are still working in this town I believe?

oh they sure are, giving out tickets to those who are parking legally, in car spaces, but whose parking tickets are over by a few minutes!! go figure!

my son has a Spider-Man costume he'd probably help me fight the crime - I'd be happy out to use my own car sure it would only be for a day anyway, and on a serious note fines would help - if you were slapped for a fine for parking outside the Chinese on castle street would park there again? I wouldn't.

But I won't be a Garda for a day and they won't be putting up bollards on that side of the street anytime soon and the Garda will still drive by the bad packers and the wardens won't enforce it so what'll change?

I'm sure that the ones slapped with a fine won't park in there anymore; the point I'm trying to make is that others will. Them others will (maybe) be slapped with fines too and they won't be parking there anymore. Then others will come along and so on.
    At the end of the day could be any one of us, when on a rainy day and for our own convenience we will "just" drop in to collect the order.
    I still believe that only KCC can solve the problem.

someone I know double parked to get a coffee last week & came out to the warden putting a ticket on her car! He even said to her 'I hope that coffee was worth it!'....

she said she won't be doing that again! however as snams said, another person will come along & do the same thing again, so it is never ending!
    It is the KCC's responsibility to ensure their wardens are enforcing the parking violations. I would rather see the Gardai dealing with the idiot drivers in the town, people breaking red lights and driving around with headlights not working etc etc! There is one particular person I know of, who has been driving around with one headlight working on her car now for months and if she has been stopped, she's doing nothing about it!

I see that Cleary's jewellers has closed, but is relocating. Does anyone know if its going in beside Cleary's photography?

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I see that Cleary's jewellers has closed, but is relocating. Does anyone know if its going in beside Cleary's photography?

It is indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

i have been driving quite a bit by night recently and the amount of cars that have 1 headlight missing is unbelievable. a return journey from ballyheigue to tralee saturday evening i counted 15 cars. the garda reserve could be deployed on the exits of large towns to notify people of their missing headlights as most of the drivers dont know they are blown.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Henwin wrote: »
    i have been driving quite a bit by night recently and the amount of cars that have 1 headlight missing is unbelievable. a return journey from ballyheigue to tralee saturday evening i counted 15 cars. the garda reserve could be deployed on the exits of large towns to notify people of their missing headlights as most of the drivers dont know they are blown.

Notify them? Sure they all know they're gone, just too lazy to get it fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

What do ye think of the msgr. Hugh O'Flaherty mural/feature at the strand road mini round a bout?

What do ye think of the msgr. Hugh O'Flaherty mural/feature at the strand road mini round a bout?

Haven't been over that way so haven't seen it. Please tell me it's not actually on that roundabout?? :rolleyes:

I won't tell you what I actually think... Suffice to say, I'm not a fan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I like the little path and seat and the landscaping, not so sure about the mural though. How long is it likely to last though? Unfortunately surely someone will try and rearrange it with a can of spray paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Yea, not a fan either... I wonder how long it will be before its altered .... Pardon the pun..

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Dont' hold your breath.

A while back I was coming out of a shop with lots of cars parked outside on double yellows, footpath and within 15 meters of a pedestrian crossing, when a garda car pulled up to join them. When the garda got out I pleasantly asked if there was anything they could do about the cars, pointing to those to both sides of the garda car. I was asked what did I mean, when I pointed out the 3 road traffic offences they launched into a spiel about how they would love to be able to do something about it but due to lack of manpower etc... totally oblivious to the fact they they were also commuting 3 traffic offences !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement