Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Does anyone know how much The Omniplex charges at night- adult ticket?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Does anyone know how much The Omniplex charges at night- adult ticket?

its €9.60 for adults. They do an offer on Tuesdays though, and I think its €5 all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Thanks Ciarrai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

OK peeps, I could and probably will Google it, but can someone tell me what the bar (now the b bar) at the Brandon was called in the good ol days of 90's. Was talking to few people about it today..
    TIA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

fuerte1976 wrote: »
    OK peeps, I could and probably will Google it, but can someone tell me what the bar (now the b bar) at the Brandon was called in the good ol days of 90's. Was talking to few people about it today..
    TIA

Now you've got me stumped! If it's the bar I'm thinking of, Crescendo (jazz band) used to play there on Sunday afternoons ...I have the Princess bar in my head for some reason, but I'm probably wrong
    Someone from the older generation, (like Ciarrai) may be able to help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kaiser31

Was it the Princess Suite/bar or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

kaiser31 wrote: »
    Was it the Princess Suite/bar or something like that?

Piano Bar IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Wang King wrote: »
    Someone from the older generation, (like Ciarrai) may be able to help

Oooooh.........:P

Princess bar it was, but..... I think it was some other name that's rattling round in me brain box and can't think of it !
    Cheers for replys, keep em coming !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I must be old....it was called the Fiddler....worked there in the early 90s for my sins!!

The Princes was a bar on the other side that was only used for functions/private gatherings.

• Advertisement

Ongar wins ! Thank you

Must be same age profile....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

All I remember about that bar was trying to sneak into the nightclub by going through that bar :D

Also my older brother had a story about eating curry in the nightclub,it used be served up he said,

I remember when I started going there they used have clips of soccer games on the big screen or else they would show clips of motorsport crashes,this would be early on in the night.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I asked the missus, she reckons it was Spirals.

All I remember about that bar was trying to sneak into the nightclub by going through that bar :D

Also my older brother had a story about eating curry in the nightclub,it used be served up he said,

I remember when I started going there they used have clips of soccer games on the big screen or else they would show clips of motorsport crashes,this would be early on in the night.

Manys the night we had beef curry in 1991-92. It was part of the requirements of the late license that if someone asked for food, it had to be provided
    So to get around that loophole, they had a table with beef curry (probably left over from dinner service that day)......it was absolute shïte......but it was free!! Happy memories

ongarboy wrote: »
    I must be old....it was called the Fiddler....worked there in the early 90s for my sins!!

The Princes was a bar on the other side that was only used for functions/private gatherings.

You may be right, I remember the fiddler in the 90's, but not sure if it was called that 10 years earlier.
    Need to ask some of the older music heads around town, Joe Boylan, John Browne etc

beertons wrote: »
    I asked the missus, she reckons it was Spirals.

Go home Mrs Beertons...you're drunk
    :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Manys the night we had beef curry in 1991-92. It was part of the requirements of the late license that if someone asked for food, it had to be provided
    So to get around that loophole, they had a table with beef curry (probably left over from dinner service that day)......it was absolute shïte......but it was free!! Happy memories

now who's old! I don't even remember that! :D

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    now who's old! I don't even remember that! :D

Jaysus nanna, its way past your bedtime :)

Ah I've got you beaten by 5-6 years I'd say

Jaysus nanna, its way past your bedtime :)

Ah I've got you beaten by 5-6 years I'd say

the hint is in my board name, the year I was born! I was only 15 when you were going to spirals eating curry! I wasn't allowed to a nightclub, unless it was a Social Action disco, and even then I wasn't allowed go unless it was school holidays. Jaysus my parents were far too strict on me! :rolleyes:

the hint is in my board name, the year I was born! I was only 15 when you were going to spirals eating curry! I wasn't allowed to a nightclub, unless it was a Social Action disco, and even then I wasn't allowed go unless it was school holidays. Jaysus my parents were far too strict on me! :rolleyes:

Was in social action and never went to the discos...didn't have my first drink in a pub until I was almost 19. .....I had sense back then

• Advertisement

Was in social action and never went to the discos...didn't have my first drink in a pub until I was almost 19. .....I had sense back then

I was in Social action too, 91/92. I started drinking when I was 6 months off my 18th! :eek: thankfully I have a lot more sense now!

I was in Social action too, 91/92. I started drinking when I was 6 months off my 18th! :eek: thankfully I have a lot more sense now!

I was 1989, happy times ...I was playing basketball and soccer at the time, so alcohol wasn't for me..... Found sense a few years later though :)

Is sense our codeword for wine?
    😂😂

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Go home Mrs Beertons...you're drunk
    :)

Sent her straight to bed. And she went too.

Should have come on here around 6, would have had a great evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

Hi all,

New ripoff rates by Higgins (domestic collection): €30 minimum in account at any time. New monthly €6 charge.

Pay by weight for everything....

Soooo.... my question is: is there currently ANY other option in Tralee??

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

The beef curry was a Sunday night thing in Spirals, it didn't taste the best. I saw Brendan Shine play there one Sunday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Just wondering in light of the below newspaper article and I am aware that a number of posters here are also business owners in town.

What are the options??? What do the people and business of Tralee actually want and expect from the Festival?? I've always been a huge fan of the ROT since I was very small, I've very fond memories of it.

Surely any comparison with Killarneys new music festival is unfair given that the weekend ticket price for Killarney is about €140.

Rose of Tralee is primarily FREE.

Growing rift over Rose street music

A number of VFI members in Tralee have expressed frustration with the street entertainment schedule in recent years claiming that not enough is being done to attract older visitors and that their businesses are suffering as a result.

Between €80,000 and €90,000 is contributed to the cost of the festival by local businesses every year with a major portion of this funding coming from publicans.

Now several prominent publicans in the town say they will reconsider how much money they give the festival unless their concerns are addressed.

Following a meeting on Monday night several local VFI members are now demanding a meeting with the street festival organisers and they are also pushing for more prominent and better known musical acts to be booked for the event.

The group of publicans have drawn comparisons with the lineup at the upcoming Killarney Festival of Music and Food and say they are concerned that Tralee may lose out as a result of that event's lengthy line up.

Rose of Tralee Street Carnival Co-ordinator Bryan Carr said that he could understand the publicans views but said the Rose of Tralee festival street entertainment programme is limited by its funding and must stick to what has been shown to work.

"We always try to find the very best acts that are available but the festival is limited in its budget," he said.

"The Rose of Tralee is not a music festival and people need to understand that. We get tremendous support from the people of Tralee and we have to use what resources we have to cater for all tastes," said Mr Carr.

"The operational side of things alone costs around €6,000 and that takes up a huge portion of the funding. If we were to book one big name act for €40,000 we'd have almost nothing left for the other five days of the festival. It's all about cost versus pulling power," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

groovie wrote: »
    The beef curry was a Sunday night thing in Spirals, it didn't taste the best. I saw Brendan Shine play there one Sunday night.

Lol - I used to serve that curry in Spirals!! As someone said, it was a pure loophole thing just to get the late licence. I remember once dumping all the paper plates and plastic forks after they'd been used at the end of the night. Guess what the manager did?? Gave out to me for dumping the forks and said they should be put in the dish washer for re-use...which we had to do from there on in. Talk about stingy b**l**ks. :p

It's funny, any time I hear a song from 1991 it brings me straight back to my lounge-boy days in Spirals when the mullet haired Mr Cool in the dj box used to play those hits on auto-repeat. :) Chesney Hawkes, anyone??

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Danae1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

New ripoff rates by Higgins (domestic collection): €30 minimum in account at any time. New monthly €6 charge.

Pay by weight for everything....

Soooo.... my question is: is there currently ANY other option in Tralee??
    Also the introduction of a third bin for recycling food waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

Also the introduction of a third bin for recycling food waste.

Ahhh yes.... despite the fact that many give food waste to pets or compost themselves the 'free' organic waste caddy is vitally important, definitely worth a householder's hard earned cash...

Their 'GOOD NEWS! WE ARE GIVING YOU MORE! offer' rates are now:
    Waste – 21 cents per kg, Recycling – 11 cents per kg, Organic – 16 cents per kg

on top of the €30 minimum account balance PLUS €6 per month standing charge......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement