Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    those apartments were recently all sold, I wonder what will happen to them? would they be all knocked & rebuilt or finished? They look awful and seem to be really small.

Remember reading somewhere that whoever bought them would have to remove a few underground storage tanks from its time as a garage as well as finish off the apartments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭fuerte1976

Wang King wrote: »
    Manys the night we had beef curry in 1991-92. It was part of the requirements of the late license that if someone asked for food, it had to be provided
    So to get around that loophole, they had a table with beef curry (probably left over from dinner service that day)......it was absolute shïte......but it was free!! Happy memories

I remember the old Horans doing it was well, they had to be seen serving food **.

Remember the L & A where Pomo doro is now ? Some tales & gawks from that place!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

tralee town council was abolished in June 14.
    Indeed you are quite correct Sir. Sadly Castle Street will be less of a priority for the larger amalgamated Council. Looks like it could fall into further disrepair.
    Not fair to existing businesses who are paying high rates while trying to eek out a living.

Had a small wager on him alright,winnings is noting that I can retire with
    though :D
    Drinks are on you!

those apartments were recently all sold, I wonder what will happen to them? would they be all knocked & rebuilt or finished? They look awful and seem to be really small.

Originally they were planned as student accommodation afaik. I agree with you Ciarrai they look awful. Probably better to have them completed than turned into social housing units. If and when completed with proper planting and screening they could look quite well and protect the streetscape of Oakpark Road from Muing which is directly behind them.

• Advertisement

Drinks are on you!

A bottle of Coke and Taytos :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

A bottle of Coke and Taytos :)

Or 2 bags of coke? :)

http://balls.ie/rugby/241508-daire-obrien-slip-rte/

Bryan Cooper was unlucky there in The Gold Cup,finished third on Roads to Riches

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭phater phagan

Bryan Cooper was unlucky there in The Gold Cup,finished third on Roads to Riches

Well done to Bryan, a local lad, It's a very tough job and one of the most physical of sports. I wish him well.

Well done to Bryan, a local lad, It's a very tough job and one of the most physical of sports. I wish him well.

He is doing very well for himself,has come back well after that serious injury,

Unfortunately he has now picked up an 18 day ban after that finish in the Gold Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

:pac:

Congratulations to all the participants in today's marathon. You are all winners!

Many thanks to all the organisers,Garda Siochana, stewards, safety teams, and spectators for making the event a wonderful occasion.

Conditions were very favourable too, the scenery on the route looked wonderful in the Spring sunshine.

Hopefully the many visitors will return again to sample Tralee's numerous other offerings.

La Feile Padraig! Have a good one! Enjoy!

Go raibh maith agat:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Well done to everyone who took part in yesterdays Marathon and half marathon! fair play to them! Wish I had enough motivation to go for it...far too lazy and too many injuries!! haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Pirates Ale

Not sure if it has been mentioned here already, but apparently Manor West shopping centre and hotel has been sold to US investors.

Not sure if it has been mentioned here already, but apparently Manor West shopping centre and hotel has been sold to US investors.

€140 million was the figure mentioned

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

wow, hadn't heard a thing about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Who are the refuse collection services in Tralee at present? Which of them is the best value for a pensioner with low amounts of waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Who are the refuse collection services in Tralee at present? Which of them is the best value for a pensioner with low amounts of waste?

1) Higgins only afaik;
    2) None.

They are changing the model to a €6 monthly charge (whether you use the service or not) plus a per kg weight charge for what you dispose and you must retain €30 in your account at all times.

'Disposing' of a small bag of waste 2 or 3 times a week in a Council or a supermarket bin would be the cheapest option for a pensioner with little waste.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

kn wrote: »
    1) Higgins only afaik;
    2) None.

They are changing the model to a €6 monthly charge (whether you use the service or not) plus a per kg weight charge for what you dispose and you must retain €30 in your account at all times.

'Disposing' of a small bag of waste 2 or 3 times a week in a Council or a supermarket bin would be the cheapest option for a pensioner with little waste.

Ya. That's a great idea. Have the rest of the tax payers of the county pay for the dumping of your waste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I think kwd do it, I see bins around with their stickers on them

• Advertisement

I think kwd do it, I see bins around with their stickers on them

they only do some parts of town. Higgin's have the monopoly...hence charging what they want!

they only do some parts of town. Higgin's have the monopoly...hence charging what they want!

Kwd won the contract.....and sub contract to Higgins..... Who in turn give some of their waste to Dillons as they cant dispose of it ......or so I'm led to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Thanks! So it looks like Higgins is the only show in town. My pensioner friend had about 10 lifts a year costing €125. In the new scheme they will have to pay €6 a month (€72 a year) plus 21c / kilo for refuse 16c / kg for organic waste and 11c / kilo for dry recycle. I'm guessing that's about 50c a lift. (Assuming 10kg of each type of waste). 10 lifts at 50 c is €5. So the new scheme comes to about €80 a year. They will save about €45 a year.

Thanks! So it looks like Higgins is the only show in town. My pensioner friend had about 10 lifts a year costing €125. In the new scheme they will have to pay €6 a month (€72 a year) plus 21c / kilo for refuse 16c / kg for organic waste and 11c / kilo for dry recycle. I'm guessing that's about 50c a lift. (Assuming 10kg of each type of waste). 10 lifts at 50 c is €5. So the new scheme comes to about €80 a year. They will save about €45 a year.

they must have their account topped up by €30 at all times or they won't have their bins collected. The €6 will come out of that each month, plus the cost of the weighed waste and recycled waste. Its very unfair of them to insist on every account being in credit by €30, and take a service charge each month, regardless of whether you have put your bins out or not. I don't mind paying by weight, I do mind having to ensure my account is in credit by €30 though! As do a lot of people I have spoke to on this!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I've told that shower of greedy unmentionables where they can stuff their new regime. Screwing people who generate low amounts of waste and only need to put their bins out every so often is not on.

I'll be talking my two-monthly buildup of waste up to Dillon's in future. Unfortunately not everyone has the means to do likewise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I think your maths are screwballed there mate. 10kg of each waste would be circa €5 per lift. So it would be circa the same as now - all assuming the weight of the bin is discounted in the lifting charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

What's wrong with the Higgins payg service?

You get two big bins, it's 12.50 to collect them both, you only get charged if the bins are left out. I'd say I probably put them out once every 3-4 weeks. You can top up with the card or online (minimum top up is 13 euro, which is a bit odd, so I just pay for 2 collections at a time).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

There was nothing wrong with it but it's all changing, scroll back and read.

• Advertisement

Talking to a view people in the castleisland area and they say they have been paying by weight with KWD for ages.
    Seems to cost between 16-20 euro for most of them
    So Higgins Waste letter that we are all getting starts off with ..Good News!!!

Yeah, good news, we're screwing you, bend over and forget the lube, we're going in hard and dry!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement