Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Yes, kwd have been doing pay by wt for several years in Tralee but their rates are higher than Higgins. Kwd are €98 for 6 months and 25c per kilo of refuse. Dry recycle and compost and glass are all free 0c per kilo. kwd really only make sense for heavy users.

My pensioner friend is also upset by the Higgins €30 min balance on the account. They were not impressed when I told them it was like having three tags in your drawer at one time - they often had five or more in the drawer. In fact they still have three old tags, can they cash them in?

Also not impressed when I told them that the new scheme might in fact be cheaper! Just shrugged the shoulders and said " sure Higgins will just jack up the standing charge to €10 or €15 a month next year!"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

oeb wrote: »
    What's wrong with the Higgins payg service?

You get two big bins, it's 12.50 to collect them both, you only get charged if the bins are left out. I'd say I probably put them out once every 3-4 weeks. You can top up with the card or online (minimum top up is 13 euro, which is a bit odd, so I just pay for 2 collections at a time).

its because of EU legislation, all rubbish must now be weighed & paid for by weight. It isn't the pay by weight that's the real issue here, we can get over that, and it probably would work out cheaper, but what's not going down well with people is their insistence that you must have your account topped up by €30 every month or else! oh that and their €6 per month service charge! They just don't seem to be interested in customer service by the looks of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

If they operated waste disposal sanely in this country Local Authorities would put out areas for tender on the basis of cost to the consumer after they all tendered to a minimum standard. Having 2 or more operators in the same area just adds to cost because it is so inefficient but the fact that there is no regulation means that its cowboy territory as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

kn wrote: »
    If they operated waste disposal sanely in this country Local Authorities would put out areas for tender on the basis of cost to the consumer after they all tendered to a minimum standard. Having 2 or more operators in the same area just adds to cost because it is so inefficient but the fact that there is no regulation means that its cowboy territory as well.

How do you mean there are no regulations?

Of course there are regulations for bin companies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Rubbish, rubbish and more rubbish................

Was there a 2015 St. Patrick's Day Parade in Tralee ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

There was alright del, it was good but nothing spectacular, I think the last few parades were better but my little one was marching and dancing so I was more focused on her passing by!

How do you mean there are no regulations?

Of course there are regulations for bin companies

There is no regulation about local autthorities regulating or tendering out geographic areas. I could set up a rival operation in Tralee tomorrow if I had deep enough pockets to force the incumbent out but as the industry is so capital intensive the incumbent in reality is a monopolist with no regulation as to how long that situation lasts or any maximum charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

Rev,

Just received the Good News letter from Higgins.

Waste 21cent per kg
    Recycling 11 cent per kg
    Organic 16 cent / kg

CHEAPER THAN RYANAIR baggage charges !

One cabin bag weighing up to 10 kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.
    Oversized cabin baggage will be refused at the boarding gate, or where available, placed in the hold of the aircraft for a fee of £50/€50.
    Reserved seating in emergency rows 1,16 and 17 may not be purchased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Got my compost bin..... Its the size of a deep fat fryer :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Wang King wrote: »

I haven't got mine yet, but I knew they were going to be pretty small! not sure what the point is of it being that small...!:confused:

• Advertisement

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I haven't got mine yet, but I knew they were going to be pretty small! not sure what the point is of it being that small...!:confused:

The way I'm feeling about the way it's all being forced upon us, I may use it as a portaloo!!

More plastic went into making the handle than the bin itself!

The way I'm feeling about the way it's all being forced upon us, I may use it as a portaloo!!

Well technically that can all be composted as well although I am not sure Higgins' will see it that way.........

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

The new compost bins are very small right enough! The new law states that operators have to get customers to segregate waste and can't accept compost able waste in the refuse (black) bin. But where does that leave you when the teentzy 25l bin is full? Will they provide a second or third compost bin free of charge? My pensioner friend doesn't have a dog but has plenty of potato and vegetable peelings and has no bother filling up two 25l bins in a fortnight! What happened the brown wheelie bins that the udc brought in 20 years ago? They were a fine size? Does anyone know the best way to keep the inside of the compost bin clean and fragrant? My friend doesn't like the idea of fostering about with newspapers.

Thanks for all the advice and comments!

RevBJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭TigerTim

Was there a 2015 St. Patrick's Day Parade in Tralee ??

Yep, was a parade. Not the best but OK. Loads of sports clubs walking.The weather was fantastic. We were in Denny St & the kids got sick of it fairly quickly. The delays between each club was ridiculous. Probably better to watch it further up Castle St. before they got to the reviewing stand. Seemed to be a huge delay at the top of Denny St.

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

unfortunately it was too cloudy and misty in Tralee this morning to see the Solar eclipse! I did notice the light get a bit duller, but that was about it. A pity, but at least I remember it from 1999 and hopefully will get to see it again in 2026!

unfortunately it was too cloudy and misty in Tralee this morning to see the Solar eclipse! I did notice the light get a bit duller, but that was about it. A pity, but at least I remember it from 1999 and hopefully will get to see it again in 2026!

I didnt get to see it this morning or in 99 :mad:

It was raining here in 1999, didn't see it either then

It was raining here in 1999, didn't see it either then

I was working in Dublin, I saw it perfectly there that day!

• Advertisement

I noticed some of the houses in my estate have their little green compost bin, but I haven't got mine! weird!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Danae1

I noticed some of the houses in my estate have their little green compost bin, but I haven't got mine! weird!

I got mine Monday Ciarrai; you can have it cos I REFUSE to even move it from where they dropped it!

Sue Ryder's charity shop broken into early this morning and absolutely cleaned out.
    Disgraceful behavior and I hope the fckers are caught quickly

Congratulations to all the participants in today's event.

Well done to the Gardai , Marshalls & Volunteers for making the event a wonderful success.

It was a fabulous day for cycling , taking in the scenery of Tralee Bay and its environs.:)

Get the dancing shoes on folks and put on them 80's tunes DJ :D

http://traleetoday.ie/new-nightclub-to-open-at-fabric-building/

Get the dancing shoes on folks and put on them 80's tunes DJ :D

http://traleetoday.ie/new-nightclub-to-open-at-fabric-building/

you beat me to it! haha!

you beat me to it! haha!

For once :D

• Advertisement

For once :D

will you be going dancing again in 'fabric' or whatever it will be called?

Not sure I'll be rushing back there, I wasn't a fan of the place anyway and was only there about 5 times during the time it was open!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement