Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Interesting, a friend in Tralee cancelled his Vodafone service, the broadband speed was too slow.

Just tested my speed there and I got 14.92Mbps.
    I was in Iceland last year, speed tester nearly went into meltdown at the hotel I was at.

I was there two years ago myself. I didn't want to leave the country, the internet was fantastic!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Adiboo wrote: »
    Just tested my speed there and I got 14.92Mbps.

I was there two years ago myself. I didn't want to leave the country, the internet was fantastic!

I got 0.86 during the weekend on vodafone

What's the highest your line is capable of getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Anyone know what time the part worn tyre place in Clash Industrial Estate closes at or have a number for the guy who owns it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Is the Vodafone broadband service operating via Telecom landline?

I just feel in 2013 we are seriously lagging behind the rest of the country if not rest of Europe.:)

• Advertisement

Very interesting, this is the situation my friend was experiencing, hence he cancelled Vodafone.

The current service I am experiencing in 2013 is akin to the dial up service back in 2000. Ah progress!:)

No, can't take this any longer, off to find a few pidgeons........

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Cood

As a daily follower, but very rare contributor to the Tralee thread, I know there's a few of ye that love nothing more than a good rant about coffee shops, cafes restaurants in Tralee, and when ye aren't talking about them, ye are in them.
    As between ye, ye know everyone in the area...my wife is opening up a new place soon in town and is looking for a chef. I'm not sure if Im allowed put the link up to her ad on her facebook page, so I've put it on the Tralee Jobs thread, if ye know anyone interested can ye let them know. Thanks a mil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Cood wrote: »
    As a daily follower, but very rare contributor to the Tralee thread, I know there's a few of ye that love nothing more than a good rant about coffee shops, cafes restaurants in Tralee, and when ye aren't talking about them, ye are in them.
    As between ye, ye know everyone in the area...my wife is opening up a new place soon in town and is looking for a chef. I'm not sure if Im allowed put the link up to her ad on her facebook page, so I've put it on the Tralee Jobs thread, if ye know anyone interested can ye let them know. Thanks a mil.

Saw that ad already. Better not post it here as you could get banned for spamming. Best of luck to your wife on her new venture & hopefully it works out for ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

is that the new place next to 3 cood?

Best of luck with it anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Kerry broadband is satellite provided. Alright for sending e mails and browsing a few documents. But if your doing any browsing or streaming movies or music, your talking serious €€€€ every month.

Kerry Broadband is fixed wireless, different setup than Satelitte. I've heard fairly positive things about KBB, speeds are always consistent and the service doesn't suffer from contention. Suitable for online gaming and skype too. Pricing is pretty good too with decent download allowances. Kerry BB operates by line of sight, you need to see the antenna on the top of Brandon Mountain to get it to work but in Tralee town it might be set up slightly differently. They just put a small little box on top of your chimney and cable it to the router. Satellite broadband is completley different, much more expensive, slower and less reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

WRT broadband, if you have the choice then broadband over a landline is the way to go. The main suppliers are Eircom and Vodafone but Vodafone are are leasing the eircom infrastructure so you're getting the same product just with different pricing plans. 8mbps is the standard offering for broadband over a landline - this should get you max download speeds of roughly 700kbps to 800kbps unless you're next door to the exchange. I've only ever used Vodafone and I've found them to be extremely reliable but if you have a problem they are an absolute nightmare to get through to, but I've found this is the case with all ISP's.

If broadband over a landline is not available due to you living in the country or in certain parts of Tralee like Oakview village, only then should you start looking at the likes of Kerry Broadband/Permanet or 3G dongles as they usually only offer 2 or 3 mpbs packages.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    8mbps is the standard offering for broadband over a landline - this should get you max download speeds of roughly 700kbps to 800kbps unless you're next door to the exchange.

Eircom's 8mb package will get you about 5mbps, if you are only getting 700-800k on an 8mb line then its the server thats causing it.

2695498503.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Eircom's 8mb package will get you about 5mbps, if you are only getting 700-800k on an 8mb line then its the server thats causing it.

2695498503.png

That's your maximum line speed at the time.
    Try actually downloading a file and see if you get 5.26 mbps ;). Even the fastest most maxed out bittorrent file will only get 700 to 800 kbps

Try actually downloading a file and see if you get 5.26 mbps ;). Even the fastest most maxed out bittorrent file will only get 700 to 800 kbps

I can download a movie in under ten minutes. I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Carefull, the Xtravision customers from this thread might give out to you:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

there will be free parking for the summer (starting today) from 8.30am - 11am in all council carparks in the town!
    Not sure its really going to make that much difference, won't to me anyway, but I guess its a step in the right direction! Could do better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

I have an eight Mb connection. Usually works out around 6.5. One thing to pay attention to is how programs/browsers/clients calcualte download speed. Many of mine use kB (big B for Bytes!) and give around 700kBps. Given 8 bits to the byte, this works out close enough to 5.6Mbps.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    there will be free parking for the summer (starting today) from 8.30am - 11am in all council carparks in the town!
    Not sure its really going to make that much difference, won't to me anyway, but I guess its a step in the right direction! Could do better!

It is certainly a positive step, I'm certain it will be attractive to people who like to do breakfast or coffee before 11.30am. Coffee and cakes brigade will be thrilled. More money to spend on skinny lates:)

Best of luck to your wife in her new business venture. It is fantastic to see that the entrepreneurial spirit continues. No doubt the coffee and cakes brigade will be delighted with this news. No doubt a review or two will appear on the Tralee thread . Watch this space. Best wishes.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

2695498503.png

Out of interest why is your upload speed so miserable? Does it affect you?

Out of interest why is your upload speed so miserable? Does it affect you?

I dont know to be honest, I play a good bit online and I never have any lag problems. the router is the standard eircom rubbish though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Lelantos wrote: »
    You might pick up a nice MILF in Iceland, I always hear mums go to Iceland.......ah I tried, give me some credit at least! ;)
    Aaaah dear....
    You are Banned from the internet for all eternity! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

Aaaah dear....
    You are Banned from the internet for all eternity! :P

What? Again!

That is quicker than driving around town looking for a space to park near Xtravision:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

That is quicker than driving around town looking for a space to park near Xtravision:)

Ciarrai will not like you for pointing that out.......

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭kingdumb

Don't be so hard on yourself, you are down with the techie acronyms anyway...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_old_telephone_service
    Could this be the reason why the existing system has gone to pot?

What will fibre optic do that the present system can't do? Sorry I am not a techi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

Opinicus wrote: »
    I have an eight Mb connection. Usually works out around 6.5. One thing to pay attention to is how programs/browsers/clients calcualte download speed. Many of mine use kB (big B for Bytes!) and give around 700kBps. Given 8 bits to the byte, this works out close enough to 5.6Mbps.
    I think people pay too much attention to advertised speeds anyway.

I'm in Dublin during the week for college. I get about 25% of my advertised speed (supposed to be 100MB, usually 25)

I don't even notice a difference on my parents broadband at home. Most people probably don't if they're just using the net for studying/ emails/ boards.

I mean what else is there on the internet?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Are SKY rolling out broadband in Ireland now? If they are maybe it's worth a look.

Eircom send a letter for the fiber optic upgrade - hopefully that'll be better than what we have, and what we have is faultless (hope it stays that way!).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

bobdcow wrote: »
    Are SKY rolling out broadband in Ireland now? If they are maybe it's worth a look.

Eircom send a letter for the fiber optic upgrade - hopefully that'll be better than what we have, and what we have is faultless (hope it stays that way!).

There is a thread about it here on boards. I'd be holding out for a few months yet till they iron out the tweeks. There good leverage to get a deal from eircom or Vodafone though!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement