Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    will you be going dancing again in 'fabric' or whatever it will be called?

Not sure I'll be rushing back there, I wasn't a fan of the place anyway and was only there about 5 times during the time it was open!

Doubt il be going there,it might free up a bit of space in the Blasket though,

Hennessey's could be hit as well with it re opening and then if the young crowd are going down to that end of the town again The Abbey could see a bit of business coming its way again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Benners Hotel is looking well, lovely paint job going on at the moment. Looking forward to seeing it reopened!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Great to see Tralee made the top 10 list of destinations to visit in Ireland as voted by Trip Advisor participants. The town is really transforming into a premier tourist destination. The reopening of hotels and nightclubs is also a boost along with several new cafes and restaurants.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/tripadvisor-reveals-its-top-10-irish-destinations-31088782.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    Great to see Tralee made the top 10 list of destinations to visit in Ireland as voted by Trip Advisor participants. The town is really transforming into a premier tourist destination. The reopening of hotels and nightclubs is also a boost along with several new cafes and restaurants.

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/tripadvisor-reveals-its-top-10-irish-destinations-31088782.html

that's great news! Kerry has 3 destinations on that list too! Delighted to see Tralee featuring on it.

Good few Kerry beaches in the top 10 beaches in Ireland,

Banna in at No.7

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/TravelersChoice-Beaches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Good few Kerry beaches in the top 10 beaches in Ireland,

Banna in at No.7

http://www.tripadvisor.ie/TravelersChoice-Beaches

I wouldn't trust any list that has Salthill as one of the top 10 beaches in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

BPKS wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust any list that has Salthill as one of the top 10 beaches in the country.

The prom walk in salthill guarantees it's position in any top 10 in Ireland

It also has diving boards.

And amazing scenery.

And a great atmosphere , perfect for people watching.

I assume it's taking more than just the sand into consideration

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

And amazing scenery.

Certainly Salthill has the finest promenade in Ireland, however the beach has its limitations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

And amazing scenery.

You forgot the unsightly vacant Soviet Russia inspired monstrosities of buildings, chippers, amusement arcades and wasteland around the closed down Leisureland opposite the Prom.

Bray has a fine promenade, maybe 2kms long but the beach and "attractions" on the beach would not make it a beach I'd put on my wish list when travelling to Ireland.

There are beaches in Kerry not on the list, and to borrow a phrase, Salthill wouldn't lace their boots. To name a few off my head, Castlegregory, Ballybunion, Ventry and Coumeenole.

But I suppose they couldn't fill it with beaches just from Kerry, they had to spread it around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Anyone ever heard of Peacocks clothing store? Had a google and it's a UK chain that is opening in Tralee and looking for staff per below. I wonder where in the town they are locating?

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSearch/JobDetails.aspx?JobId=62037116

• Advertisement

ongarboy wrote: »
    Anyone ever heard of Peacocks clothing store? Had a google and it's a UK chain that is opening in Tralee and looking for staff per below. I wonder where in the town they are locating?

http://www.totaljobs.com/JobSearch/JobDetails.aspx?JobId=62037116

Yeah I've heard of it & seen it in the Uk. Not to my taste but good to see new businesses opening here & creating new jobs. Wonder where it's opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Four Kerry beaches is really great! I agree about the back beach at Castlegregory. There are some great beaches in Mayo, Sligo and Donegal not listed so expect some stiff competition next year!
    Baldy onion ( damed autocorrect!) Ballybunion is very jaded and needs some work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Yeah I've heard of it & seen it in the Uk. Not to my taste but good to see new businesses opening here & creating new jobs. Wonder where it's opening.

Its going into the old boots store,

sad to hear that the student who fell from a building in UCC was from Tralee. I don't think he has been named yet though. Awful news.

sad to hear that the student who fell from a building in UCC was from Tralee. I don't think he has been named yet though. Awful news.

He was named in the one o clock news on Radio Kerry,as you said very sad news to be hearing.

Wang King wrote: »

14m to build and now its not seaworthy

Id love to see a break down of that 14m see where the money went

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

14m to build and now its not seaworthy

Id love to see a break down of that 14m see where the money went

The money was not just spent on building the ship. It was also a FAS project to train people from both North and South shipbuilding skills.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

kn wrote: »
    The money was not just spent on building the ship. It was also a FAS project to train people from both North and South shipbuilding skills.

Do we have a big shipbuilding industry in Ireland, that would have made spending this massive money on training worthwhile?

is there any way it can be brought back to Tralee & put back in Blennerville to be used as a tourist attraction along with the windmill? Its awful that they have left it go to ruin in Dublin, what a waste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It was a shambles building it in Blennerville, the water in Tralee bay wasn't even deep enough to get it to Fenit, it had to be floated there on a raft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

If it ever came back to tralee it would be cut up for firewood within 10 years.
    This town would not have to interest or the people to look after it.
    A terrible shame it's been left to deteriorate.
    The Blennerville railway is a similar example.
    An original steam locomotive from the dingle line lies corroding away a shed for the want of some decent funding and enthusiasm to get it running again.
    Even if it was restored to a static museum piece it would be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Would they not dock it in Cobh or have it as a museum piece there. Theres a good exhibition on the whole leaving for America in various decades in the train station there. It starts with coffin ships. Waste if something useful not done with it.

Anyone here get the free breakfasts at McDonald's yesterday?

http://traleetoday.ie/photos-queues-out-the-door-at-mcdonalds-for-free-breakfast/

Breakfast at McDonald's,no thanks,but each to their own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

If it ever came back to tralee it would be cut up for firewood within 10 years.
    This town would not have to interest or the people to look after it.
    A terrible shame it's been left to deteriorate.
    The Blennerville railway is a similar example. No
    An original steam locomotive from the dingle line lies corroding away a shed for the want of some decent funding and enthusiasm to get it running again.
    Even if it was restored to a static museum piece it would be something.

They made a fantastic job of the monorail in Listowel. Shows what you can do with a bit of interest!

Them big sheds out in Blennerville where the ship was built,have they been used for anything since?

Have some been converted into apartments?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Anyone here get the free breakfasts at McDonald's yesterday?

http://traleetoday.ie/photos-queues-out-the-door-at-mcdonalds-for-free-breakfast/

Breakfast at McDonald's,no thanks,but each to their own

I really don't understand it, going to all that hassle for something that cost 2 or 3 euros?

siblers wrote: »
    I really don't understand it, going to all that hassle for something that cost 2 or 3 euros?

Marketing is all its is! Gets people through the doors, or the divethru in this case! They did it a few weeks ago too.

Have just counted 204 people at the water protest march making its way thru castle street.
    The pink ladies at the front with the megaphone denouncing Fianna fáil, and the sinn fein lads in the middle using theirs to shout anti blueshirt stuff ....... Seems nobody like the narries at all these days!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Anyone any recommendations for trying to find a place to rent in Tralee besides the Kerryman/Daft? There seems to be a serious shortage of availability I find! Perhaps I'm just lookingn in the wrong places.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement