Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

gstack166 wrote: »
    Anyone any recommendations for trying to find a place to rent in Tralee besides the Kerryman/Daft? There seems to be a serious shortage of availability I find! Perhaps I'm just lookingn in the wrong places.

The estate agents do lettings, but they would usually already be advertising on DAFT anyway. I do know there is a shortage of places to rent though, unfortunately. Also check with the estate agents directly, as they may have properties coming up soon that they just haven't advertised yet due to tenants still being in them. They can advise you if something is about to come back on the rental market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Seems that Austin Stack park will be shut from the end of May until March to relay the new pitch and improve lighting.... Pretty much a waste of time and money imho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭gstack166

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The estate agents do lettings, but they would usually already be advertising on DAFT anyway. I do know there is a shortage of places to rent though, unfortunately. Also check with the estate agents directly, as they may have properties coming up soon that they just haven't advertised yet due to tenants still being in them. They can advise you if something is about to come back on the rental market.

Thanks mate. Gonna need all the help I can get in the next few months. Living in west Limerick working in Pallas Foods job not secure with redundancies being handed out & a 6 month pregnant girlfriend which whom I live separate to! Work & accommodation is like Goldust in Tralee these days haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

Have you tried local supermarket/notice boards? I see a lot of places locally (not Tralee) being advertised in local shops. Can't think of any off top of my head now in Tralee, don't know if there is one in Manor?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Wang King wrote: »
    Seems that Austin Stack park will be shut from the end of May until March to relay the new pitch and improve lighting.... Pretty much a waste of time and money imho

Where did you see this?

If they get decent lights put in we could see Kerry in action in town once again on a Saturday night,that can only be a good thing for the town.

Also the hurlers play all their matches in ASP so an upgrade on the surface will do no harm,a lot of matches get played in ASP through the year from school games to club finals in all grades in both codes so its a busy pitch.

Upgrading the facilities can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Why? It gets used far more often than Fitzgerald stadium.

siblers wrote: »
    Why? It gets used far more often than Fitzgerald stadium.

Doesn't have any effect on your capacity of the park, the need for expansion (which is impossible) and the horrific traffic congestion and idiotic parking that happens at every game

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Doesn't have any effect on your capacity of the park, the need for expansion (which is impossible) and the horrific traffic congestion and idiotic parking that happens at every game

I got stuck in traffic yesterday! took me nearly 30 minutes to get from Castle St to Manor...don't know why I bothered!

I know the traffic side of things is annoying, but it is a good thing that they will be redeveloping the pitch etc, glad to see it finally happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

So they should just let it go into disrepair? Unless they have a new site to develop a new stadium they still have to maintain it. No point having it there if it has a rubbish playing pitch and a poor lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It's a pity the Austin Stack park didn't relocate somewhere along the bypass like Mitchells did to avoid the congestion or co-locate next to Ballybeggan.

Although, seeing as that is not now going to happen, at least it's getting an upgrade.

• Advertisement

Was listening to Kerry Today this morning and they were on about the upgrade that Austin Stack Park is getting,the chairman of Tralee Chamber Alliance was on talking about it,they are looking at ways to ease traffic around the pitch,

Running shuttle buses from the Brandon Car Park too and from the ground is one idea he mentioned,

http://traleetoday.ie/austin-stack-park-work-to-cost-up-to-e800000/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Seems bizarre to call upgrades to Austin Stack Park a waste of time.

It's obviously the preamble to increasing the number of high profile games in Tralee, which will be a boost for a number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Shuttle buses from the greyhound stadium would also make sense

Shuttle buses from the greyhound stadium would also make sense

Ya,plenty of parking there,could run shuttle buses from the IT as well.

not sure if this was an early April's fool joke but....

http://entertainment.ie/life/Burger-King-Tralee-tells-Facebook-reviewer-to-fck-off-over-to-mcdonalds-after-he-gives-bad-review/358888.htm

i think someone posted on here before about the poor service at Burger King as well.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Seems bizarre to call upgrades to Austin Stack Park a waste of time.

It's obviously the preamble to increasing the number of high profile games in Tralee, which will be a boost for a number of reasons.

When they are asking for 300k from local businesses I think its a bit of a reach

When they are asking for 300k from local businesses I think its a bit of a reach

I haven't heard anything about that!? We certainly haven't been approached.

ongarboy wrote: »
    not sure if this was an early April's fool joke but....

http://entertainment.ie/life/Burger-King-Tralee-tells-Facebook-reviewer-to-fck-off-over-to-mcdonalds-after-he-gives-bad-review/358888.htm

i think someone posted on here before about the poor service at Burger King as well.

I saw this last night! I don't know what to believe as now the management have officially given a statement on Tralee today to basically say the page is nothing to do with them!

I saw this last night! I don't know what to believe as now the management have officially given a statement on Tralee today to basically say the page is nothing to do with them!

Yes, thought it bordered on defamatory rather than a Fools Day prank. I've heard of people creating unauthorised fake FB sites on behalf of businesses before.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yes, thought it bordered on defamatory rather than a Fools Day prank. I've heard of people creating unauthorised fake FB sites on behalf of businesses before.

It's odd because although the page has been inactive for over a year, they were posting on in a somewhat professional manner last year, so not sure I believe that it's not their official page. Someone who works there obviously set it up at some point!

• Advertisement

I haven't heard anything about that!? We certainly haven't been approached.

Yeah, it was mentioned last week, think The Kerryman are carrying a story about it today

Yeah, it was mentioned last week, think The Kerryman are carrying a story about it today

I just saw the headline on their facebook page! Not sure how that will go down with businesses, there's enough pressure on them as it is! I did read elsewhere that they would need to fundraise, which is fair enough. Why isn't the GAA funding this, surely they have enough money! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

From Wiki:

"Recent Times -
    In 2007 plans were approved for its relocation to a site outside the town currently occupied by Ballybeggan Racecourse. In December 2009 it was announced that plans for the new stadium and development had been put on hold indefinitely due to the collapse of the Irish economy and ongoing financial crisis.[3] By 2012 The Kerryman newspaper reported that the plans had in effect been abandoned.[4]

In 2014 a committee was put in place by the County Board to look into the gradual refurbishment of the grounds. Some of their goals include the upgrading of the pitch, a new score board, upgrading of the lighting system and terracing of the western side of the grounds."

I just saw the headline on their facebook page! Not sure how that will go down with businesses, there's enough pressure on them as it is! I did read elsewhere that they would need to fundraise, which is fair enough. Why isn't the GAA funding this, surely they have enough money! :confused:

I think the County Board are funding half of it.

Damokc wrote: »
    From Wiki:

"Recent Times -
    In 2007 plans were approved for its relocation to a site outside the town currently occupied by Ballybeggan Racecourse. In December 2009 it was announced that plans for the new stadium and development had been put on hold indefinitely due to the collapse of the Irish economy and ongoing financial crisis.[3] By 2012 The Kerryman newspaper reported that the plans had in effect been abandoned.[4]

In 2014 a committee was put in place by the County Board to look into the gradual refurbishment of the grounds. Some of their goals include the upgrading of the pitch, a new score board, upgrading of the lighting system and terracing of the western side of the grounds."

Btw how did you fair out with Kerry Broadband?

Damokc wrote: »
    From Wiki:

"Recent Times -

That was the infamous Seamus O'Halloran purchase of both the Mitchels and Austin stack park deal
    A hotel, bars, tesco, pharmacy and doc surgery, with 60 plus apartments and underground car parking......

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

I think the County Board are funding half of it.

Their half will most likely be made up of grants from Croke park, lotto etc...
    Looks to me as if they are trying to upgrade their grounds for minimum outlay.

Parking is also a big issue there.

It is great for the town when there's a big game on though.

I heard a lot of Monaghan supporters were in Killarney last Saturday night, hopefully the reopening of Fabric might entice them to stay in Tralee

A nightclub doesn't make you want to stay in Tralee after a game. Its a hell of a journey up and down to Monaghan, and all people want to do is get home by 10.
    As for a boost to business. No, not a bit. Some if the bars will do well out of it, but its actually a hindrance to local businesses. Supporters taking all available car spaces, and then parking outside people's front doors, blocking exits etc. Its actually a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Was driving down by 4star yesterday and noticed - is the gluten free restaurant gone?

• Advertisement

I read on Radio Kerry website that the Blasket were denied permission to open from midnight until 2am on Saturday morning after Good Friday as it went against "the spirit" of the legislation!

Seems unfair that if it is technically Saturday and no longer Good Friday, why shouldn't they be allowed to open? Personally, I think the Good Friday ban should be done away with altogether. I'm ok with Christmas Day though as I think it's good that workers have the day off to be with families on that day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement