Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

bobdcow wrote: »
    Was driving down by 4star yesterday and noticed - is the gluten free restaurant gone?

The lease was up & they didn't renew it due to the bad location. They are looking to set up somewhere else. They are however, still in business & taking orders. See their FB page for info.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    I read on Radio Kerry website that the Blasket were denied permission to open from midnight until 2am on Saturday morning after Good Friday as it went against "the spirit" of the legislation!

Seems unfair that if it is technically Saturday and no longer Good Friday, why shouldn't they be allowed to open? Personally, I think the Good Friday ban should be done away with altogether. I'm ok with Christmas Day though as I think it's good that workers have the day off to be with families on that day.

I think its good staff get day off on Good Friday too! especially when you run the business!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If they change the law for Good Friday then we could see a push for the pubs to open on Christmas Day,

They only close for two days a year surely two days out of the year wont break them.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭g1983d

Wang King wrote: »
    A nightclub doesn't make you want to stay in Tralee after a game. Its a hell of a journey up and down to Monaghan, and all people want to do is get home by 10.
    As for a boost to business. No, not a bit. Some if the bars will do well out of it, but its actually a hindrance to local businesses. Supporters taking all available car spaces, and then parking outside people's front doors, blocking exits etc. Its actually a nightmare.

I was more thinking about the night before the game, a lot of Monaghan supporters made a weekend out of it.
    Manor west and fels point were booked out but a lot stayed in Killarney as the night life is "better"

I don't think there is 1 GAA ground in the country where parking or local people are taken into consideration, its a case of ignore it and let the authorities deal with the complaints.

I do prefer the atmosphere in Tralee over Killarney though for games that wouldn't fill Killarney

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    The lease was up & they didn't renew it due to the bad location. They are looking to set up somewhere else. They are however, still in business & taking orders. See their FB page for info.

Good to hear. It's quite a nice location there but I can't keep track of the number of businesses that have been through there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Good to hear. It's quite a nice location there but I can't keep track of the number of businesses that have been through there.

tbh, nowadays any upstairs place without a lift almost automatically discourages parents with buggies, those with limited mobility/wheelchair users or elderly etc. Spa Seafoods is similar.

I'm 99% sure neither have a lift on my occasional visit to either place.

ongarboy wrote: »
    tbh, nowadays any upstairs place without a lift almost automatically discourages parents with buggies, those with limited mobility/wheelchair users or elderly etc. Spa Seafoods is similar.

I'm 99% sure neither have a lift on my occasional visit to either place.
    That's true but a lot of businesses downstairs haven't succeeded there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

If they change the law for Good Friday then we could see a push for the pubs to open on Christmas Day,

They only close for two days a year surely two days out of the year wont break them.

I don't particularly want my Friday ruined because some people who are part of a particular religious sect thinks a Jewish guy was tortured to death 2000 years ago tomorrow.

Plenty of people don't celebrate Christmas either, and if the idea is to force alcoholic fathers to spend the day at home with their kids that day I don't know if it's doing anyone any favours really.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

keane2097 wrote: »
    I don't particularly want my Friday ruined because some people who are part of a particular religious sect thinks a Jewish guy was tortured to death 2000 years ago tomorrow.

Plenty of people don't celebrate Christmas either, and if the idea is to force alcoholic fathers to spend the day at home with their kids that day I don't know if it's doing anyone any favours really.

If they open Christmas Day then Stephens Day would be no craic.

Some lads use Christmas Day as a day of recovery :)

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jousting with chairs

If they open Christmas Day then Stephens Day would be no craic.

Some lads use Christmas Day as a day of recovery :)

Amatuers :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

The lease was up & they didn't renew it due to the bad location.
    Its a poor location and the layout, heating, ventilation is poor also. Some really fine restauranteurs have operated out of the location over the years. Aishling Geal , David Norris etc. I hope the gluten free gets a good alternative location in Tralee.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Planning notice in this week's Kerry's Eye seeking permission for the sale of food from old Kiely's unit. Presumably to allow Iceland move in.

Quackster wrote: »
    Planning notice in this week's Kerry's Eye seeking permission for the sale of food from old Kiely's unit. Presumably to allow Iceland move in.

Iceland, really?

I see that the Abbeygate is reopening next week under the new name of the Ashe Hotel!
    http://traleetoday.ie/old-abbey-gate-hotel-to-open-next-week-under-a-new-name/

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

keane2097 wrote: »

Funny that - yet people like you have no problem enjoying the perk of a day off courtesy of said religion.

Nancy Myles sold pre Chreistmas with sale to be completed early 2015 -heard it will be a pharmacy,a brothel or a pub-hope its a pub as i used to go there now and again

Was Nancy Myles definitely sold? Doesn't look like anything has been happening there yet. The for sale sign is still up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

The body of a 40yo man was found at Kellihers garage this morning,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

The body of a 40yo man was found at Kellihers garage this morning,
    The latest is that GSOC are also investigating implying some Garda involvement in or around the death. Radio Kerry saying that the man was in contact with Gardai prior to his death and they are investigating it as a 'sudden death'.

Curious how the body shows up literally right next door to the morgue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Iceland, really?

It would be great if it is. The more the merrier I reckon for competition. Any concrete info that it really is Iceland?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kn wrote: »
    It would be great if it is. The more the merrier I reckon for competition. Any concrete info that it really is Iceland?

No concrete info but I do know that Iceland have recently been scouting for a premises in Tralee and the old Kiely's unit would suit their requirements if it had the required planning permission.

• Advertisement

No concrete info but I do know that Iceland have recently been scouting for a premises in Tralee and the old Kiely's unit would suit their requirements if it had the required planning permission.

If their requirements are rubbish location , no parking, and people just abandoning their cars to nip into the bank....then its perfect for them

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

If their requirements are rubbish location , no parking, and people just abandoning their cars to nip into the bank....then its perfect for them

sure it's just as easy to park at the horan center and walk across to those shops out front. No one really parks down by the garage, and if you wanted to be closer there is a very small car park up the lane way prob could fit about 15 cars in into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Are u thinking of the right location???
    Horan centre is a fantastic spot on the main entrance to the town??? Huge parking facilities to either side and to the front ??? And the bank at the Horan Centre has been closed for about 10 years?????
    Outside of anything else it's extra jobs for the town so it would be a great boost if it were to happen.
    A little less negativity and more positivity goes a long way imho!!!!

Clab mor wrote: »
    Horan centre is a fantastic spot on the main entrance to the town??? Huge parking facilities to either side and to the front ??? And the bank at the Horan Centre has been closed for about 10 years?????
    Outside of anything else it's extra jobs for the town so it would be a great boost if it were to happen.

Kileys used to be in the Mall where Elverys is now before it moved to the Horan centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

So where is due to go, horan centre or town??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Damokc

Btw how did you fair out with Kerry Broadband?

They eventually got back to me and installed in the one day after I sent an ultimatum email. We have them about a month now. Great so far. Speeds drop a bit in the evening but that's understandable. YouTube plays away fine now and even streaming live video is good too.

Download speeds average about 5.50 MBs and uploads are about the same, which is great considering I was only getting about .50 MBs with eircon.

Do we know anymore about the 1KM rule Kerry County Council have in place? Kerry will be left in the dark ages if they don't change this. The new NBS will be a mix of fibre and 4G I believe.

bobdcow wrote: »
    sure it's just as easy to park at the horan center and walk across to those shops out front. No one really parks down by the garage, and if you wanted to be closer there is a very small car park up the lane way prob could fit about 15 cars in into it.

Apologies..... I thought I was Brian Lee's we were discussing.... My mind had slipped back 25 years :)

Clab mor wrote: »

I was thinking of the wrong location. The horan centre would be a great location for Iceland ....I'm all for positivity me!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭hanamandiol

Which old Kielys unit do you mean ? -as Kielys were in The Mall ,The Horan Centre and near Farranfore

• Advertisement

Which old Kielys unit do you mean ? -as Kielys were in The Mall ,The Horan Centre and near Farranfore

Kiely's in the Horan centre, the last place the were before they closed down.

I can't imagine Iceland opening here. I don't think they have many other places in Ireland, Dublin being the only place I know of.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement