Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

saw this article from the Sunday Indo posted up on the Aqua Dome's FB page this eve. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I saw that article floating about Facebook today it's part of a bigger one talking about Kilkenny city, Tralee and a few more towns who were hit hard by the recession and are making a comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    saw this article from the Sunday Indo posted up on the Aqua Dome's FB page this eve. ;)

Great article that really portrays Tralee in a positive light! I also see it referenced an articule in a US magazine about Tralee being a great place to retire. I just googled it there (link below) and again it really shows off Tralee well.

I do think the Chamber Alliance merger of all the various organisations and agencies really has helped to town maintain a common goal and vision that best promotes Tralee.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/2014/03/25/irish-country-retirement-in-tralee

Fabric nightclub has been renamed....http://traleetoday.ie/the-planned-nightclub-at-godfrey-place-has-a-new-name/

what do you think!?

Sounds promising. I like the idea of 4 different rooms to cater for different tastes. This might enable a more diverse crowd and age profile. I find the single floor venues will only really attract 18-23s as they are the most active club goers and the music then is limited to wheatever that age profile are into.

I wonder will the live music gigs mean that it will open earlier than the usual nightclub times?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

ongarboy wrote: »
    Great article that really portrays Tralee in a positive light! I also see it referenced an articule in a US magazine about Tralee being a great place to retire. I just googled it there (link below) and again it really shows off Tralee well.

I do think the Chamber Alliance merger of all the various organisations and agencies really has helped to town maintain a common goal and vision that best promotes Tralee.

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/on-retirement/2014/03/25/irish-country-retirement-in-tralee

It will be interesting to see if they wheel out their usual negative article come Festival time though ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

bobdcow wrote: »
    I saw that article floating about Facebook today it's part of a bigger one talking about Kilkenny city, Tralee and a few more towns who were hit hard by the recession and are making a comeback.

This one.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-end-of-austerity-irelands-boom-towns-31135820.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

kn wrote: »
    I wonder what they have done to the rooms. They were really only basic tourist 2* standard previously reflecting the revenue from the tour bus market.

They are very nice rooms, not 5 star obviously but very neat and presentable with good quality fittings. .
    They entire job is a credit to the owners and designers. Very good to see the place open again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Just saw this on the Tralee Chamber Alliance FB page!

"Are you a shopper in Tralee? If so we need to talk to you.
    On Monday evening at 7pm in the new Ashe Hotel (formerly Abbeygate hotel) we are holding a Shoppers Forum whereby we are looking for feedback on your shopping experiences in Tralee. What you like and what you dont like. Everyone who takes part will be entered into a free draw to win a Michael Kors Watch from Hilsers Jewellers and a €300 shopping spree in the town centre compliments of Dan Fitzgerald & Son, CH Chemist, Walsh Brothers Shoes, O’Sullivan’s Delicatessan, Hugh Culloty Electrical and Weardrobe. Complimentary refreshments will be served on the evening.
    Anyone who wishes to take part in the Consumers Forum at the Ashe Hotel from 7.30pm to 9.30pm on Monday 20th April needs to register their place by emailing info@Tralee.ie or contacting Tralee Chamber Alliance on 066-7121472 before 5pm on Friday 17th April."
    https://www.facebook.com/tralee.ie?fref=nf

not sure what to make of it!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Just saw this on the Tralee Chamber Alliance FB page!

"Are you a shopper in Tralee? If so we need to talk to you.
    On Monday evening at 7pm in the new Ashe Hotel (formerly Abbeygate hotel) we are holding a Shoppers Forum whereby we are looking for feedback on your shopping experiences in Tralee. What you like and what you dont like. Everyone who takes part will be entered into a free draw to win a Michael Kors Watch from Hilsers Jewellers and a €300 shopping spree in the town centre compliments of Dan Fitzgerald & Son, CH Chemist, Walsh Brothers Shoes, O’Sullivan’s Delicatessan, Hugh Culloty Electrical and Weardrobe. Complimentary refreshments will be served on the evening.
    Anyone who wishes to take part in the Consumers Forum at the Ashe Hotel from 7.30pm to 9.30pm on Monday 20th April needs to register their place by emailing info@Tralee.ie or contacting Tralee Chamber Alliance on 066-7121472 before 5pm on Friday 17th April."
    https://www.facebook.com/tralee.ie?fref=nf

not sure what to make of it!?

To be fair to them, they are trying. No harm in firing a few ideas at them I suppose. The mall would be a fairly bleak place without all those shops.

Something has to be done about the Russell Arcade ASAP I reckon. Its bringing the whole vibe down. A lot of units are coming up for sale at the Allsop auction for half nothing. An opportunity to use the Russell Arcade as an incubator for some local start-ups getting a cheap rent for say a year before they have to move out to give someone else a chance and get their own premises on a commercial rent??

Is the Russell arcade not where shaws is? Are you thinking of the Tralee shopping arcade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Is the Russell arcade not where shaws is? Are you thinking of the Tralee shopping arcade?

He is....showing his age a bit isn't he?
    ;)

kn wrote: »
    Something has to be done about the Russell Arcade ASAP I reckon. Its bringing the whole vibe down. A lot of units are coming up for sale at the Allsop auction for half nothing. An opportunity to use the Russell Arcade as an incubator for some local start-ups getting a cheap rent for say a year before they have to move out to give someone else a chance and get their own premises on a commercial rent??

When was the last time there was a shop upstairs in the Russell Arcade?

Or as the kids call it the Tralee Shopping Arcade :)

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

When was the last time there was a shop upstairs in the Russell Arcade?

Or as the kids call it the Tralee Shopping Arcade :)

I concur with the earlier poster that the Russell Arcade was where Shaws is now.
    KerryDude, search your memories.

groovie wrote: »
    I concur with the earlier poster that the Russell Arcade was where Shaws is now.
    KerryDude, search your memories.

Yer right,

Lets move on :)

Anyway when was the last time there was shop open upstairs in the Tralee Shopping Centre?

Yip. My bad. Got my arcades messed up.

Yer right,

Lets move on :)

Anyway when was the last time there was shop open upstairs in the Tralee Shopping Centre?

the main reason no one wants to take a unit upstairs is that there is only a stairs and no elevator or escalator, so restricts a lot of customers etc. Its sad to see the place so empty, but not uncommon in a lot of those types of arcades around the country. It would be great to see it totally upgraded if someone had the money to do it!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

the main reason no one wants to take a unit upstairs is that there is only a stairs and no elevator or escalator, so restricts a lot of customers etc. Its sad to see the place so empty, but not uncommon in a lot of those types of arcades around the country. It would be great to see it totally upgraded if someone had the money to do it!

Best thing that could be done with it now is to send in the wrecking balls. An arcade of such small units has absolutely no commercial viability here. I'm sure if it was replaced with one large unit, a taker could be found for it.

But it seems it acts as some tax avoidance measure keeping the place open almost empty.

• Advertisement

Yes, modern retailers want larger floor plates. Even a location as lucrative as Grafton Street in Dublin has difficulty getting a lot of international retailers as so many of the shops there are too small (hence the proliferation of mobile phone stores and the like there).

I agree that the best thing that can be done for Tralee Shopping Centre is to make it one large unit or possibly subdivide into 2 large units. Another option would be to merge it with the long vacant Dunnes Stores unit next to it. Maybe the landlord may consider such alternatives now that they realised the zero interest at Allsop in the current configuration. I only ever use it as a short cut during a rain shower and it really is dreary in there to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

There's a weird ****ing smell in the place with the last 20 years as well!

keane2097 wrote: »

Abra never bothered me!! :D

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yes, modern retailers want larger floor plates. Even a location as lucrative as Grafton Street in Dublin has difficulty getting a lot of international retailers as so many of the shops there are too small (hence the proliferation of mobile phone stores and the like there).

I agree that the best thing that can be done for Tralee Shopping Centre is to make it one large unit or possibly subdivide into 2 large units. Another option would be to merge it with the long vacant Dunnes Stores unit next to it. Maybe the landlord may consider such alternatives now that they realised the zero interest at Allsop in the current configuration. I only ever use it as a short cut during a rain shower and it really is dreary in there to say the least!

There is no one landlord! It's collectively owned by the landlords who own units. Some landlords own a few units. There are still owner landlords occupying units there at present.

keane2097 wrote: »

That's coming from Abra, it's some sort of gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

A market like cork english market in there would be unreal.

A market like cork english market in there would be unreal.

it was definitely looked into, but for some reason was a non-runner at the time. It sure is a good idea though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Its gone to shïte in there
    Scobies hanging around the poker machines, farmers and students getting their manky taco fries and a smell of death off the place.... I feel sorry for the actual arcade staff, must be fckin soul destroying to have to go in there every day and have the local sniffers ask to use the loo.

I noticed that the derelict house opposite the Manor West Hotel has finally been given a lick of paint & some new windows! Looks a LOT better, it was an awful eyesore.

• Advertisement

I noticed the old mannix centra shop then became a dunnes gala at clash cross has closed in the last week or so, that always seemed a busy spot up till recently anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement