Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

bobdcow wrote: »
    I noticed the old mannix centra shop then became a dunnes gala at clash cross has closed in the last week or so, that always seemed a busy spot up till recently anyway

oh yeah I meant to post that the other day. The closed a couple of weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    oh yeah I meant to post that the other day. The closed a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah, it was announced around Xmas that the lease wouldn't be renewed.
    Locals would go to Joe O'Connor for small bits, Dunne's and aldi for bigger shops.
    I don't think anyone can change that trend, so it may remain deserted for a while, maybe a change of business direction would do well. Yard out back, house to the left, plenty of room for offices perhaps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I noticed the old mannix centra shop then became a dunnes gala at clash cross has closed in the last week or so, that always seemed a busy spot up till recently anyway

Parking is key to any business these days it seems. You were practically parking on a roundabout junction if you needed to pop in and only one car at a time could really do that so I could see it struggling to compete with the more motorist friendly Spar further up.

I remember before outdoor xmas lights became the norm, Mannix's were one of the first to have a great outdoor Christmas light display. As kids, we loved it when we drove by!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I think with the old Mannix's the big factor was the reduced footfall from most of the college moving to Dromtacker. It was very busy when the college was fully located in Clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RevBlueJeans

Is the Russell arcade not where shaws is? Are you thinking of the Tralee shopping arcade?
    I call it Boyles Arcade!

• Advertisement

I call it Boyles Arcade!

I've an uncle who still refers to the Tralee Shopping Centre as Latchfords arcade as it used to be a big hardware and bakery store operated by Latchfords 30 odd years ago.

kn wrote: »
    I think with the old Mannix's the big factor was the reduced footfall from most of the college moving to Dromtacker. It was very busy when the college was fully located in Clash.

Is there a shop on campus up in Dromtacker? Otherwise it must be a 20 minute walk at least down to Oakpark's nearest shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

ongarboy wrote: »
    Is there a shop on campus up in Dromtacker? Otherwise it must be a 20 minute walk at least down to Oakpark's nearest shop.

I used to work up in the tech park and there really is SFA up there in terms of shops and places to eat. There's a Costa coffee on campus but for anything else you'd have to go to Spar or Subway across from McElligotts and that's a good walk. The area is crying out for some place that does lunches.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

kn wrote: »

yeah I remember from my days in the college in Clash, it was really handy for grabbing a sandwich. Eventhough that college is still operating, its not half as busy. I wonder what courses they have on in that campus now? its hard to imagine how we all fit in there when I was studying there from 1997-2001! I had a lot of computer classes and it was a nightmare finding a lab when we had assignments due!

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I used to work up in the tech park and there really is SFA up there in terms of shops and places to eat. There's a Costa coffee on campus but for anything else you'd have to go to Spar or Subway across from McElligotts and that's a good walk. The area is crying out for some place that does lunches.

is there not a canteen up there like there is in the Clash campus? Eventhough the food there was always chips etc, nothing healthy when I was there! We also used to go into Dunnes cafe when they had one in the Horan Centre. And I remember when I first started in college there, Horan's hotel was still open and we used to get toasted sandwiches! I'd almost forgotten that!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

There is a canteen alright but it'd be fairly poor quality. Might only be for students too, I only ate in there once. It'll be the only time I eat in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

If the Gluten Free restaurant is looking for a new premises.... They could have a peek at Aine's in the square.....its closed down :(

Wang King wrote: »
    If the Gluten Free restaurant is looking for a new premises.... They could have a peek at Aine's in the square.....its closed down :(

has it? I didn't even hear that it was closing!

I thought the NightJar was due to reopen by Easter weekend? doesn't seem to be anything going on in there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

... I wonder what courses they have on in that campus now?...

As far as I know, Agricultural Engineering. Not sure if anything else is taught there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Sardonicat wrote: »
    As far as I know, Agricultural Engineering. Not sure if anything else is taught there.

AFAIK they still teach Engineering + Chem + Bio + Health & Leisure down in the South Campus too.
    Business + IT + Media + Nursing in the North.

Not sure about this as a location. Parking is a bit problem. As an aside I never liked Aines although it was always crowded. They were often sharp and tetchy barking at you to take a table when you approached the counter. Did the daily grind affect their trade?

Not sure about this as a location. Parking is a bit problem. As an aside I never liked Aines although it was always crowded. They were often sharp and tetchy barking at you to take a table when you approached the counter. Did the daily grind affect their trade?

It's already taken :)

I forgot to remind you all that the free electrical recycling was on today in the Mart. Think it finished at 4 though, so apologies for the lateness!

I managed to finally get rid of a few bits! There seemed to be a good flow of cars going in.

Thanks! They weren't as organised as they usually are with a long queue of over 15 cars. There was only two guys taking in the stuff.

• Advertisement

Just read on breaking news that a 2 year old boy & a 7 year old girl were injured at a car rally in Tralee. Apparently they were watching from behind a barrier & a car lost control & hit it. Think they have been airlifted to Cork. Hope they will be ok.
    I didn't realise there even was a rally on here?

There was also a man in his 50's killed in a motorbike on the Tralee-abbeydornery road last night. Very sad news. That road is lethal by all accounts.

There was also a man in his 50's killed in a motorbike on the Tralee-abbeydornery road last night. Very sad news. That road is lethal by all accounts.

Jesus Christ, what's going on with that road? That's 3 in 2 years!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Just back from holidays and catching up on the Tralee News.

Extremely sorry to read that Aines and Gluten free kitchen have closed down.

Aine and Doireann are two lovely ladies, I sincerely wish them both very well for the future.

Jesus Christ, what's going on with that road? That's 3 in 2 years!!

I thought the same thing when I saw it on the RTE website yesterday! I find that road has a lot of sudden dips and drops on it especially around the Dale Road section that hasn't been improved and also just over the hill by Listellick. In four wheels, I've often had to grip the steering wheel tighter when I come across one of those dips unexpectedly to maintain control. I can only imagine the care a motorcyclist has to take.

My condolences to his loved ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭dobman88

Hi folks. What mountain range is behind KGH? I'm here visiting a friend today and they look absolutely stunning.

Slieve Mish mountains.

Slieve Mish mountains.

Thanks. Wasn't 100% sure of it.

Slieve Mish mountains.

Should have told the Killarney blow in it was the McGillicuddy Reeks!
    :);)

Should have told the Killarney blow in it was the McGillicuddy Reeks!
    :);)

You could at least have said something believable :p

• Advertisement

This is happening tonight in the Ashe Hotel
    11010002_767583200021764_4323311073363867434_n.jpg?oh=daca741a240de31ac84d8d8c5b774783&oe=55E4BA73

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement