Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Just had a chat with herself,it was called the russell arcade,think there was a toyshop,butchers,and a newsagent in there.

And a fruit and veg and I think a bakery

440Hz wrote: »
    The Russell Arcade is where the "arcade" is now, near CH, rather than where CH is now. And yeah you're is right about what was in there!

Wrong!
    Russell Arcade was definitely where Shaws is now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭cookiequeen

Could someone tell me the best streets to shop in Tralee. Where do you go for cool trendy clothes for guys and girls 20-30yrs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I can only speak for guys but Jack'n'Jones has decent stuff for blokes at good prices. It's just off the Square and also Frontier next to St Johns Church has nice stuff too. Debenhams in Manor West can be hit and miss (the ranges in Roches were a lot better including Top Man which is now gone sadly). Ryles on Castle Street did have a trendy menswear shop for younger men called R2 with Tommy Hilfiger lines etc but it swapped over for girls clothes.

My sister said for girls clothes, go for Vero Moda in the Mall, Shindig next to Shaws and Iota for dressy stuff which is hidden away on the carpark opposite the small Tesco in town.

Could someone tell me the best streets to shop in Tralee. Where do you go for cool trendy clothes for guys and girls 20-30yrs!!

As best I can see whenever I go down now nobody shops in the town centre anymore. Go to Manor Retail Park on the Killarney Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

ongarboy wrote: »
    I can only speak for guys but Jack'n'Jones has decent stuff for blokes at good prices. It's just off the Square and also Frontier next to St Johns Church has nice stuff too. Debenhams in Manor West can be hit and miss (the ranges in Roches were a lot better including Top Man which is now gone sadly). Ryles on Castle Street did have a trendy menswear shop for younger men called R2 with Tommy Hilfiger lines etc but it swapped over for girls clothes
    Agreed,that just about sums it up ongarboy,debenhams is overrated,best time to go up there is during the sales,TK maxx has the occasional goodie too,but it takes a bit of work to find the good stuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

ah christy, gotta love him haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stuba9

The newest one's the best!

Is he signed up for the K factor talent competition thats going on on the deacon this weekend(i think):D:D:D

• Advertisement

Well, a bit more live music would be good, the demise of the rambling house was a disaster for the town, there was nothing like a good band on a saturday night with a few pints:Ddingle has a better music scene than we have:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

i mean its not perfect but how is it different than anywhere else in the world(killarney people need not answer). I am sick to the teeth of people saying Tralee is a s**thole, I have to get out of this town..blah.blah.blah!!!!..................look in the mirror for gods sake, Tralee is not the problem.

So now its a thread about how crap tralee is?! Seems listowel and ballyb have a lot more pride in their towns, just look at their threads to see. Fair enough, i agree some things are rubbish(seee previous thread), but no point bringing the tone of the thread down with it.So come on, less negative more positive lads!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 katefromkerry

The mention of Woolworths (in the Mall) brought back memories.

I used to work there. I know I know,
    giving my age away here.
    Great place to work.
    What was his name Charlie (the Manager)
    English guy I think
    so many years age I forget.
    Now I remember
    Charlie Costelloe???

That was like a poetry, or a haiku:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ScallyRally Sue

Hi All,

Apologies for the newbie jumping straight in with a question ... I'm bringing a large group through Tralee in early September and am in search of a suitable bar/club to meet in the evening for a relaxing drink. There could be as many as 200 of us as we are travelling through on a car rally.

I've had a few pointers of Bailey's and Hennessey's but am unsure of their size.

Any pointers or local contacts would be appreciated.

We're a well behaved lot!!

Thanks in advance.

Sue x

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Hi Sue, and welcome!

I don't think Bailey's will work anyway for that size of a group, or Hennessey's either - you are probably better off trying one of the hotel for a group that size. In the town itself you could try The Deacon (the bar in this hotel is very popular at the moment), The Abbey Gate (which hosts alot of functions so size wise it would work), the Grand, the Brandon places like that. That would be what I would do anyway, but im sure there will be other suggestions that might work well.

Hi All,

Apologies for the newbie jumping straight in with a question ... I'm bringing a large group through Tralee in early September and am in search of a suitable bar/club to meet in the evening for a relaxing drink. There could be as many as 200 of us as we are travelling through on a car rally.

Sue x

Sue I reckon any place that you can bring 200 people to for a session would welcome you with open arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Jimmyireland

Tomthepost wrote: »
    Sue I reckon any place that you can bring 200 people to for a session would welcome you with open arms.

Sue, Try and talk to Bill Kirby in the brogue Inn....

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭delspeed78

sue, Gally's (castlemaine rd.) and O'Donnells (ardfert rd.) are both spacious pubs with sizeable car parks. They both serve food as well..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40 therocker

sue go to another town, group of bikers like that will only get their bikes damaged or stolen or worse , thats my opinion and i have lived in tralee for all of my 79 years and have seen it degenerate at a much faster pace than i have . it used to be such a safe place to live now you cant feel safe walking the streets during the day , as for the nights forget it . over run with thugs of all nationalities and such . headline in national paper recently read :woes of tralee : and we are run by a bunch of incompetants who would not allow m+s move to manor retail park even though that is what most of the town wanted except of course the business people that have been creaming of us for years ,

sorry sue cars not bikes my appologies , peepers aint what they used to :Dbe

therocker wrote: »
    . headline in national paper recently read :woes of tralee : and we are run by a bunch of incompetants who would not allow m+s move to manor retail park even though that is what most of the town wanted except of course the business people that have been creaming of us for years ,

Great to see a 79 year old with such an interest in Marks & Spencers. Love the m+s abbev.
    Very odd that someone that talks about Killarney all the time (even goes to a dentist there), tried to start a Milltown / Listry thread should be claiming to have lived in Tralee 'for all their 79 years'
    Mods????
    Also a single figure poster!!

Right guys! Time to stop a)insulting Tralee and b)insulting each other. This is not the place for ranting. Sure you can say negative things about the town, but comments like yours therocker have no place here. Back on topic about the TOWN please, and no more digs at each other, or uncalled for remarks.
    Tomthepost wrote: »
    Mods????
    Also a single figure poster!!

Tom, the post count is immaterial tbh. Also, if someone posts something out of place - guys please use the report button. Its hard to keep track of every single post on here, so I can't always spot if something is kicking off! Thanks, appreciate the help.

m+s abbrev im sure you mean . recommended that particular dentist because he is exceptionally frienly etc . milltown/listry because of relatives . any way did i say any thing about tralee that is untrue . will be 80 on june first and i HAVE always lived in tralee but surely i dont have to see it through rose tinted glasses like some ,i say it like i see it , maybe you should heed that bit of info ( INFORMATION ) IF YOU HOPE TO SEE 79 . all you have to do if you want to see tralee is go down to courthouse each week and see what kind of people are their . person charged with murder 18 months ago in tralee , he was charged in KILLARNEY by the way . 23 years of age he was when he committed vile crime .and i wish i did live in killarney because it is a much nicer and friendlier town , but because of my means ( money ) i regret to say i cannot . and yes i am a new user on here but why should that stop me having an opinion sonny boy

Right guys! Time to stop a)insulting Tralee and b)insulting each other. This is not the place for ranting. Sure you can say negative things about the town, but comments like yours therocker have no place here. Back on topic about the TOWN please, and no more digs at each other, or uncalled for remarks.

Tom, the post count is immaterial tbh. Also, if someone posts something out of place - guys please use the report button. Its hard to keep track of every single post on here, so I can't always spot if something is kicking off! Thanks, appreciate the help.

a) did not mean to insult tralee , was only saying how i think it is which i think would mean a much more open and honest thread imo .
    b) i do not like being called a TOSSER esp when i am well past that im sad::( to say . my opinions of tralee are my honest ones and i think if a discussion is to be had on something it should cater for all opinions. tralee was a fine town but alas now its a shambles imo

therocker, you said the town should be blown up, that is most definetely inappropriate and beyond having a little rant about the place, whether it was meant in jest or not.

And no, you should not have been called a tosser, which is why I warned EVERYONE above about personal insulting other posters.

therocker, you said the town should be blown up, that is most definetely inappropriate and beyond having a little rant about the place, whether it was meant in jest or not.

And no, you should not have been called a tosser, which is why I warned EVERYONE above about personal insulting other posters.

ok fair enough , blown up was a bit over the top, sorry . but maybe it ( tralee) should be dismantled brick by brick and relocated to killarney :D JESTING ,

PS 440HZ SORRY TO UPSET YOU . YE HAVE A TOUGH OLD JOB ID SAY

Its ok therocker! Just don't threaten to blow me up again :D

• Advertisement

therocker wrote: »
    m+s abbrev im sure you mean . recommended that particular dentist because he is exceptionally frienly etc . milltown/listry because of relatives . any way did i say any thing about tralee that is untrue . will be 80 on june first and i HAVE always lived in tralee but surely i dont have to see it through rose tinted glasses like some ,i say it like i see it , maybe you should heed that bit of info ( INFORMATION ) IF YOU HOPE TO SEE 79 . all you have to do if you want to see tralee is go down to courthouse each week and see what kind of people are their . person charged with murder 18 months ago in tralee , he was charged in KILLARNEY by the way . 23 years of age he was when he committed vile crime .and i wish i did live in killarney because it is a much nicer and friendlier town , but because of my means ( money ) i regret to say i cannot . and yes i am a new user on here but why should that stop me having an opinion sonny boy

1: It is the blown up comment that got me annoyed in the first place and IMO it was uncalled for and my response was justified.

2: 'IF YOU ARE USING CAP LETTERS TO' emphasize a threat about the age I reach you really have me so WORRIED. In any case I could be 83 already for all you know!

3: I have made several comments on the social problems in Tralee on this thread before and therefore do not see it 'through rose tinted glasses' but there are courthouses all over Ireland and not just in Kerry dealing with the same types of cases you have mentioned above.

4: If I had a choice I would love to live in Clontarf or Malahide but I can only afford Ballymun at present. Nobody said life was easy but no point having pity on yourself.At least at the age of 79 you can avail of free public transport to get over and back to Killarney as often as you like.

5:Pardon my cynicism but with one of your first posts having been to the effect of 'Tralee should be blown up' I taught that you might have been an old user previously banned. Anyway if this is not the case welcome on board but if you can going to make what IMO was a silly comment please back it up at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement