Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Eircom basically upgraded nearly every exchange in the town except for the one im on and it wont be done until Dec 2014:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I see that Aldi have commenced operations at John Mitchels. They are carving out a construction traffic entrance at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭qwertypop

kn wrote: »
    I see that Aldi have commenced operations at John Mitchels. They are carving out a construction traffic entrance at the moment.

Is the old one going to stay open

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

qwertypop wrote: »
    Is the old one going to stay open

Yes I understand they are going to have 2 shops in Tralee

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

is anyone else sick of the amount of charity collectors in the town of late?

I have been trying to dodge the Amnesty ones the past few days! I know they have to try and raise money, but they really are annoying!! I said no to one yesterday and he tries to walk with me asking if I was sure....?? seriously, if someone says no, drop it. I certainly don't have the money to donate to these guys anymore.
    Once when I was asked by a Concern collector if I could donate, and I said I was already donating (which I was at the time!), he had the cheek to ask me how much I was giving!! I even had Concern ring me yesterday evening asking if I could donate again! If I could I would!!!
    I just think there are too many collections going on in the town of late, not to mention the bag packing in Dunnes...give me strength!!
    As I said, I know its hard to raise money for these places, but it just can be too much at times! Especially when things are tight enough as it is without these guys asking for money too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I have to agree, I don't believe licences are needed anymore, so its happening every day and you can get a couple of organisations collecting on the same day. I bought a Happy heart today, but the amnesty guys, the lad outside Easons collecting for asthma were all ignored over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

I dont mind giving some of them money, the guy who collects for disabled drivers outside Garveys, cancer charities or animal charities but there are a few that actually hound you on the street so bad you wonder if you're being filmed for a hidden camera show. There is a difference betwen actual charities and the ones collecting for a football kit for their local school or rowing club.
    Having said that they must see me coming a mile off because I bought a happy heart today even though I bought one off my ma earlier..........what recession?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

the other thing I don't like about those street collectors (plagues) from Concern, Amnesty etc, is that they get paid commission, they are not volunteers like the ones from schools or the Irish Cancer society etc.

Ciarrai76 wrote: »

I have been trying to dodge the Amnesty ones the past few days! I know they have to try and raise money, but they really are annoying!! I said no to one yesterday and he tries to walk with me asking if I was sure....?? seriously, if someone says no, drop it. I certainly don't have the money to donate to these guys anymore.
    Once when I was asked by a Concern collector if I could donate, and I said I was already donating (which I was at the time!), he had the cheek to ask me how much I was giving!! I even had Concern ring me yesterday evening asking if I could donate again! If I could I would!!!
    I just think there are too many collections going on in the town of late, not to mention the bag packing in Dunnes...give me strength!!
    As I said, I know its hard to raise money for these places, but it just can be too much at times! Especially when things are tight enough as it is without these guys asking for money too!

There is no easy answer. Money is tight everywhere. Yes the collection boxes appear to be on the streets every day. As a rule of thumb I will support flag days for a number of my chosen charities. That is it! I will not sign any forms, nor will I give personal details, and most certainly would not have a charity contacting me by phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

I have to admit that it is becoming an ordeal to walk through Garveys going into town with all the different legitimate and those I would consider suspect collectors.
    It must have an impact on visitors. Was back in Dingle last weekend and no street collectors - heaven!!
    It has gotten to the stage where I will not entertain anyone collecting unless I know them personally.

• Advertisement

murphy05 wrote: »
    I have to admit that it is becoming an ordeal to walk through Garveys going into town with all the different legitimate and those I would consider suspect collectors.
    It must have an impact on visitors. Was back in Dingle last weekend and no street collectors - heaven!!
    It has gotten to the stage where I will not entertain anyone collecting unless I know them personally.

I'm not sure it does much for Garvey's either. When in Tralee I tend to avoid that store for that reason. On one occasion I encountered 3 different collections, one at the front door, one at the cash register, one at the back door and Big Issue in the car park.
    Ciarrai is quite correct, there are too many collections going on at the same time. How many have permits from the local authority/ Gardai ? I would consider myself generous by nature as indeed I would also consider the Ops here also, there is a danger of killing the golden goose! There is also the old saying that charity begins at home, something one should bear in mind if hassled by Amnesty collectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I normally fob them off with some BS answer, but it's the happy, go lucky, smiling retards that call to your door and ask to donate a "meager" sum of money, monthly from your bank account. Ohhhh yeah sure here is my account details, go nuts. Anyways at this point I have said no I am not interested at least twice, yet they still want to call back in case I change my mind.

Yes you can help feed this starving child, a noble cause to say the least but at the end of the day the majority of people do not know how much money globally is donated to third world nations, suffice it to say it is in the billions. Where does this money go???. I mean vaccines got cents, food costs hardly nothing, so I guess the a "well" costs a few million.

We alone donated 30 odd million annually to some country. We, a so called broke nation donated 30 million or so???? to an even broker country. I'm sorry but help your own first before you help others. Now that may come across as being a bit harsh but come on like. Don't get me wrong we do have it better off than them, and it is sad that this poverty in an almost continental scale does happen.

I have no problem throwing a few euro to cancer charities etc every now and again if I have some loose change, at least these people don't invade my personal space, pretending to be your bestest pal on the planet, with their over smiley faces and literally stalk you up the street.

Rant.....over....so yeah anyone remember bilkos???????? :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 murphy05

Most have permits but not local permits. Authorities in Tralee seem to be afraid of saying no to things which are not in the best interest of the town - just my opinion.

The morning free parking seems to be a good idea, I hope it will be used by local shoppers and at least the council have put signs on the meters to inform people of this.

As mentioned in previous post about been in Dingle - I spotted a Jarvey out and about I wonder if it would be a good idea to have something similar in town during the "summer" especially with the large number of tourist attractions in and around town.

Most have permits but not local permits. Authorities in Tralee seem to be afraid of saying no to things which are not in the best interest of the town - just my opinion.

The morning free parking seems to be a good idea, I hope it will be used by local shoppers and at least the council have put signs on the meters to inform people of this.

As mentioned in previous post about been in Dingle - I spotted a Jarvey out and about I wonder if it would be a good idea to have something similar in town during the "summer" especially with the large number of tourist attractions in and around town.

I don't mind giving to the irish Cancer Society for the likes of daffodil day etc, but I am sick of these guys who you are afraid to make eye contact with cos you know they will stand out in front of you & ask you if you know what is going on in xyz....
    Yes I know, I watch the news, but I need to pay my mortgage & eat before I can worry about anyone else!
    when Concern rang me yesterday, I said I was in work so couldn't talk. I though that would get rid of them, but no, she said she would call back. I had to ask her not to, and that I can't donate, I cancelled my monthly donation as I couldn't afford it anymore and that hasn't changed. They are so persistant though. I was told once that they only needed €7 a month, that its not much...I know its not a lot, but when you don't have it what are you meant to do?

Like your idea. Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwxQRdfHVe8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Brouge Inn is in liquidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

kn wrote: »
    Brouge Inn is in liquidation.

I was often liquidated in there too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I was often liquidated in there too..

And you complain about my! puns!? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

I regularly donate to the Irish Cancer Society and I would always give something to the Irish heart foundation too if they are out collecting, but the collecting going on in the town centre is ridiculous. There is one 'charity' that seems to be collecting almost 7 days a week for the last 6 months or so. Not only is it dishonest, but it is directly taking money from good charities that need the money.

As for the chuggers, I passed down the mall at about 8 and they were the only people there, with their clipboards and yellow jackets. Glorified beggars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Lelantos wrote: »
    And you complain about my! puns!? :)

There was a man who heard that his local newspaper was having a contest to find the worst pun. He searched his letters and his old e-mails for the worst puns he could find, and he finally came up with a list of the ten very worst puns he'd ever heard. He was certain that one his entries would win the contest. Unfortunately for him, no pun in ten did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

There was a man who heard that his local newspaper was having a contest to find the worst pun. He searched his letters and his old e-mails for the worst puns he could find, and he finally came up with a list of the ten very worst puns he'd ever heard. He was certain that one his entries would win the contest. Unfortunately for him, no pun in ten did.

boardsmeme_zpsbbdf7025.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Heard the sad news this evening that Donal Walsh had passed away.

RIP Donal,I wish to extend my condolences to his family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

Heard the sad news this evening that Donal Walsh had passed away.

RIP Donal,I wish to extend my condolences to his family and friends.
    rip donal so young taughts with his family very sad

My thoughts are with his family & friends at this sad time. So sad to think he was taken so young :(
    RIP Donal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

RIP Donal. His courage and legacy really seems to have captured the hearts of the nation and not just in Tralee or Kerry. Friends up here in Dublin are all talking about it, it's being discussed all over Facebook and it's the lead story on the Evening Herald today.

If one troubled young person (or anyone) now thinks twice about pursuing suicide as an option, then Donal's message was not in vain.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

Lost white, deaf cat, Tralee

She has a dark pink collar on and is very friendly.
    She got out a few weeks ago and ended up in Ballymac, so I reckon she was up in the engine of a car and probably did the same thing this time!
    I realise she could be anywhere but could everyone please keep an eye out for her,
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Any photos of her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭encore1

siblers wrote: »
    Any photos of her?

here she is...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement