Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    What's the bar in the Ashe hotel like? Is it a bar you'd head to on a weekend night?

My sister was in Benners on Friday night and said it was lively.

not sure what the bar in the Ashe Hotel is like, apart from looking really nice! The food is meant to be really good there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was reading in the paper that some company is now looking to close a right of way out in Banna,last year Councillors voted to keep the right of way open in Akeragh

This latest one is just South of Akeragh and is also a well used route for the public.

Apparently the company in question isn't even based in Ireland but own the land,like its not like they are going to be building anything in the area so why not just leave things the way they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Was reading in the paper that some company is now looking to close a right of way out in Banna,last year Councillors voted to keep the right of way open in Akeragh

This latest one is just South of Akeragh and is also a well used route for the public.

Apparently the company in question isn't even based in Ireland but own the land,like its not like they are going to be building anything in the area so why not just leave things the way they are.

Extinguishing the right of way would increase the value of the land to a potential purchaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    was he in Gaelcholaiste? so was I, well until 1995, but I still can't place him! I knew he was from Tralee anyway!

Me too, small world. I think he may have been there but not 100% sure. I know I'm getting old when I can't rememeber things anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Me 3 :-)

Is there a screen grab of the fella from school? Or is he on the programme all the time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

RIP Dr Arthur Spring sadly passed away this morning.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

ongarboy wrote: »
    RIP Dr Arthur Spring sadly passed away this morning.

yes heard that this evening. He was my GP when I was a child, up until he retired. Lovely man.
    RIP

bobdcow wrote: »

Is there a screen grab of the fella from school? Or is he on the programme all the time?

no sorry, but it would be on the TV3 player. Not sure what episode it was, but it was from last week I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

yes heard that this evening. He was my GP when I was a child, up until he retired. Lovely man.
    RIP

Same here.. Even when he was in Ash st.
    The woman who fell down the stairs in Caheranne village passed away last night also

He's been on the show every night- it's on again tomorrow night- tv3 @ 9pm.
    We'll have to set up a Gaelcholaiste past pupils thread so- the memories! had a great time there. Did either of u guys go to the 25year celebration get together? I didn't unfortunately. It's also got so big now! I remember the small class I was in- we were lucky really

• Advertisement

koriko wrote: »
    He's been on the show every night- it's on again tomorrow night- tv3 @ 9pm.
    We'll have to set up a Gaelcholaiste past pupils thread so- the memories! had a great time there. Did either of u guys go to the 25year celebration get together? I didn't unfortunately. It's also got so big now! I remember the small class I was in- we were lucky really

I went to the 25 yr celebration in November. I visited the school during the day as they had it open for past pupils. It was so strange walking around it, I hadn't been inside the school since I finished in 1995! It was lovely to chat to Maistir Seachnasigh (spelling?!) again, he's principal now, and still a lovely man. My Irish wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be! The night itself was good too, although no one from my class went unfortunately, but I was there with my sister & knew others too. It was a lovely get together, would love to do it again in a few years!

Wang King wrote: »
    Same here.. Even when he was in Ash st.
    The woman who fell down the stairs in Caheranne village passed away last night also

yes that was very sad, poor lady. RIP to her too.

I went to the 25 yr celebration in November. I visited the school during the day as they had it open for past pupils. It was so strange walking around it, I hadn't been inside the school since I finished in 1995! It was lovely to chat to Maistir Seachnasigh (spelling?!) again, he's principal now, and still a lovely man. My Irish wasn't half as bad as I thought it was going to be! The night itself was good too, although no one from my class went unfortunately, but I was there with my sister & knew others too. It was a lovely get together, would love to do it again in a few years!

Great that you went- it looked like it was a stylish affair in Ballyroe? I saw some pictures on Facebook- I have to say the teachers there at the time and some who are still there are amazing. Great teachers.
    Yea I heard Austin became principal. He taught English and creideamh when I was there- he is doing reAlly well at the job too by the sounds of things and how the school is growing in size! The get together sounds like it was great- would've lived to see the inside of the school. Knowing me I probably would've got all testy eyed and emotional though thinking of the past and of how things have changed over the years- probably best I couldn't make it!!! I'll pop in sometime for a trip down memory lane though!
    Did they have the 'dialann scoile' when u were there? I used to be a devil for speaking 'as Bearla' and lose 5points everytime- poor old Fitzy began to feel sorry for me and give me 'seans eile' in the end :-)

Great that you went- it looked like it was a stylish affair in Ballyroe? I saw some pictures on Facebook- I have to say the teachers there at the time and some who are still there are amazing. Great teachers.
    Yea I heard Austin became principal. He taught English and creideamh when I was there- he is doing reAlly well at the job too by the sounds of things and how the school is growing in size! The get together sounds like it was great- would've lived to see the inside of the school. Knowing me I probably would've got all testy eyed and emotional though thinking of the past and of how things have changed over the years- probably best I couldn't make it!!! I'll pop in sometime for a trip down memory lane though!
    Did they have the 'dialann scoile' when u were there? I used to be a devil for speaking 'as Bearla' and lose 5points everytime- poor old Fitzy began to feel sorry for me and give me 'seans eile' in the end :-)

Ah good old Fitzy! ....that's the Kerry football manager Eamonn's dad! Eamonn was a year behind me in school, although I ended up in his class as I repeated! Lovely guy, and his dad is too. He was at the reunion, although I didn't get a chance to speak to him. There are only 3 original teachers left from my time in the school! As much as I HATED school in general, I did love my time in Gaelcholaiste, I have good memories of it.
    The sure did have the 'dialann'...they still do! I usually got in trouble for being late for school! haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Not sure if I should post this here but im just wondering whats the name or phone number of the jobs place near dunnes. Its a blue building I can get the phone number online but I cant remember the name of the place thanks

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Not sure if I should post this here but im just wondering whats the name or phone number of the jobs place near dunnes. Its a blue building I can get the phone number online but I cant remember the name of the place thanks

http://traleeles.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Ah good old Fitzy! ....that's the Kerry football manager Eamonn's dad! Eamonn was a year behind me in school, although I ended up in his class as I repeated! Lovely guy, and his dad is too. He was at the reunion, although I didn't get a chance to speak to him. There are only 3 original teachers left from my time in the school! As much as I HATED school in general, I did love my time in Gaelcholaiste, I have good memories of it.
    The sure did have the 'dialann'...they still do! I usually got in trouble for being late for school! haha!

I didn't go to the celebration either, but i would see some of my classmates about every so often. I wanted to call into the school on the day too but schedule didn't let me get there on the day. I used to get a lot of 5 pointí deducted in the early years but got a lot better in the last 3 years. I liked the school, nice small classes and we all seemed to know each other. I see on facebook now bigger classes and more activities than we used to do - I hink I'd prefer my time there - except for the football - every lad had to play, I would have loved a bit of indoor soccer or volleyball for a change!

On the topic of the paramedic I'm watching the current series and don't recognise the lad - maybe my memory is fading :)

I didn't go to the celebration either, but i would see some of my classmates about every so often. I wanted to call into the school on the day too but schedule didn't let me get there on the day. I used to get a lot of 5 pointí deducted in the early years but got a lot better in the last 3 years. I liked the school, nice small classes and we all seemed to know each other. I see on facebook now bigger classes and more activities than we used to do - I hink I'd prefer my time there - except for the football - every lad had to play, I would have loved a bit of indoor soccer or volleyball for a change!

On the topic of the paramedic I'm watching the current series and don't recognise the lad - maybe my memory is fading :)
    I looked at this weeks episode of the show and it gave his name- not from Tralee so then not from the Gaelcholaiste! Nice memories revoked though- when u referred to football u reminded me of pe in the school & the long walk up to the sports complex every Tuesday. The days it rained were a killer and I was always dragging a large school bag. mental when I think of it! One teacher would be there to teach- how that was allowed aswel beats me!! We always had a great time though- a good laugh & not too much exercise!

• Advertisement

I looked at this weeks episode of the show and it gave his name- not from Tralee so then not from the Gaelcholaiste! Nice memories revoked though- when u referred to football u reminded me of pe in the school & the long walk up to the sports complex every Tuesday. The days it rained were a killer and I was always dragging a large school bag. mental when I think of it! One teacher would be there to teach- how that was allowed aswel beats me!! We always had a great time though- a good laugh & not too much exercise!

we used to 'play' badminton.....whenever the teacher came along we would pretend to be really into it & acting as though we were in the middle of a game! The teacher used to ask us what the score was, knowing full well what we were up to! They still do their sports in the complex. I hated that late lunch on a Tuesday & then sports after! Felt like the longest day!

we used to 'play' badminton.....whenever the teacher came along we would pretend to be really into it & acting as though we were in the middle of a game! The teacher used to ask us what the score was, knowing full well what we were up to! They still do their sports in the complex. I hated that late lunch on a Tuesday & then sports after! Felt like the longest day!

Haha! We did the same- I'm sure the gang of students there at the moment are doing it also! So funny how things haven't changed. Tuesdays were a long long day- the extra class before lunch was torture, especially when u could hear the younger classes outside. Ironically it was always the day we got chips in that chipper at the end of the road (no healthy eating to go with the 'exercise' !!) what was it called do u know?- franks?? I remember a nice grey haired man with glasses in there- he was a patient man with all of us in there acting the maggot!

Haha! We did the same- I'm sure the gang of students there at the moment are doing it also! So funny how things haven't changed. Tuesdays were a long long day- the extra class before lunch was torture, especially when u could hear the younger classes outside. Ironically it was always the day we got chips in that chipper at the end of the road (no healthy eating to go with the 'exercise' !!) what was it called do u know?- franks?? I remember a nice grey haired man with glasses in there- he was a patient man with all of us in there acting the maggot!

yes, Franks, where Raja's is now!

Tralee Today had an article up today on some of the now closed businesses from back in the day! Any not on that list that any of you remember/miss? it would be A-Wear for me! :)
    http://traleetoday.ie/six-businesses-youd-miss-around-tralee/

For me - American style chipper across from Horans - Whenever I see MJ's the memories flood back - I really loved the food from there after a good few cans in Horans.

And I miss the old Horans when the bar used to be at the front - everyone gathered in there waiting for the tiny door to be opened to the club :-)

Sure by the time we got up there were changed and the roll call was taken and sports "decided on" and teams made up - there was hardly time to get a few games in - you'd end up sitting against the wall or on the balcony just waiting and chatting - unless it was football season and we'll call him "The Accountant" (not to publicly name him) was making us run drills up to our knees in muck - dying to be inside :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

yes, Franks, where Raja's is now!

Franks chip and curry on a cold wet winter lunch time was enough to get you through the day in The Green.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 pockyrin

Hey there, not sure if this is the right section but I'm looking for someone that maybe lives in tralee and commutes to waterville for work. I have a brief job there for 4-6 weeks and I was hoping I could find a lift and pitch in for petrol money. If you live in Tralee and want the same job yourself there are 3-4 places, pm me for more details, we can commute together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

They could kill it extending it to 3 nights! They will have to cut the party pieces from the interview to get through 70.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement