Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

And 20 Benson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I read in the Kerry's eye this week that there's a new recruitment agency after setting up in Killarney, called Red Chair recruitment. http://redchairrecruitment.ie/

They have been around for a few months now. I dealt with Fred a few times during his time in chase, and he is great to deal with (In fact, he placed me in my current role). Best of luck to them in the new venture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Any more information on the Old Oak, is it going to re-open as a pub or what are the plans? What the town council should have looked at there is maybe developing the Tralee shopping arcade and the Old Oak as an open market like the English market in Cork city. You would need to put canopies along the back lane to join the two though. Just a thought anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Was in No 4 on the Square at the weekend for lunch and did a nosey of all 4 floors - have to say the interior is fantastic...as impressive as anything you'd see in Dublin or even London. It really provides Tralee with a really smart venue for eating and drinking. Looking forward to having a few drinks at night there to test the evening vibe next time I'm home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Any more information on the Old Oak, is it going to re-open as a pub or what are the plans? What the town council should have looked at there is maybe developing the Tralee shopping arcade and the Old Oak as an open market like the English market in Cork city. You would need to put canopies along the back lane to join the two though. Just a thought anyway.

the shopping centre is privately owned by various individuals and 10 of the empty units in the shopping centre were recently sold by auction in one lot, so hopefully whoever bought them will have some good ideas for them.
    The 'English market' idea was on the cards, but gained little or no interest & the council had no interest in it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 MidlandBlowin

It was being painted last week week along with toilet brush-esqe stuff to stop the swallows that take up residence there! A few weeks back I did happen to pass a guy in a suit like an Auctioneer or something taking pictures of the outside of it!

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

It was being painted last week week along with toilet brush-esqe stuff to stop the swallows that take up residence there! A few weeks back I did happen to pass a guy in a suit like an Auctioneer or something taking pictures of the outside of it!

So they're probably just pimping up the exterior a bit as a result of the council's recent derelict site notice.

Hopefully the building will be put on the market and then pique the interest of JD Wetherspoon!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Quackster wrote: »
    So they're probably just pimping up the exterior a bit as a result of the council's recent derelict site notice.

Hopefully the building will be put on the market and then pique the interest of JD Wetherspoon!

You are probably right. It's more than likely just them doing that due to the derelict notice! Sad how it's just sat there empty for over 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Does anyone know where tralee mobile home and caravan park is?

its near the cinema on Dan Spring road. Woodlands Caravan Park
    https://www.facebook.com/woodlandstralee/timeline
    www.kingdomcamping.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

I think that's the park on the Ballybunion road on the way out of Tralee on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

Thanks for the info. I'll try have a look there the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

RTE will be showing the replay!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Interesting article in today's Irish Times about planning for a new mosque in Killerisk and how Kerry has the highest number of Muslims outside of the cities. Who knew Tralee was the Mecca of the West?!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/kerry-mosque-decision-delayed-while-call-to-prayer-plan-clarified-1.2277767

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Just read a piece on traleetoday.ie about a group opposed to the building of a mosque in Tralee. They were handing out flyers in town to drum up support.

does anyone know what the Garda Dog Unit does? is it basically sniffer dogs etc?

Just wondering as there's a Garda Dog unit van up where I live & I'm a bit curious as to what's going on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

does anyone know what the Garda Dog Unit does? is it basically sniffer dogs etc?

Just wondering as there's a Garda Dog unit van up where I live & I'm a bit curious as to what's going on!

They can sniff out Drugs, guns or explosives!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

ongarboy wrote: »
    Interesting article in today's Irish Times about planning for a new mosque in Killerisk and how Kerry has the highest number of Muslims outside of the cities. Who knew Tralee was the Mecca of the West?!!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/kerry-mosque-decision-delayed-while-call-to-prayer-plan-clarified-1.2277767

That mosque has been trying to be built in that area for over 4 years now, resident groups always try to shoot it down.
    As it is, I believe they use the KGH, a room set aside I believe.
    I've no time for any religion, all ridiculous purple flying spaghetti monster in the sky rubbish, but I also believe that everyone is entitled to believe and worship their own particular brand of spaghetti monster, so I see no real reason for anyone to object to a mosque

They can sniff out Drugs, guns or explosives!

thanks! It was the drug squad, and they all arrived out of the house a while ago, along with plain clothed Gardai! I didn't see them arrest anyone or anything, but I did see the sniffer dog be sent into the house!

This better not be the start of trouble up here! Three very young kids in this house too, so not good to see this carry on! :mad:

• Advertisement

Wang King wrote: »
    That mosque has been trying to be built in that area for over 4 years now, resident groups always try to shoot it down.
    As it is, I believe they use the KGH, a room set aside I believe.
    I've no time for any religion, all ridiculous purple flying spaghetti monster in the sky rubbish, but I also believe that everyone is entitled to believe and worship their own particular brand of spaghetti monster, so I see no real reason for anyone to object to a mosque

I agree! There's no reason why they should be objections on this, its not going to harm anyone if it went ahead! No one is going to force the residents up there to change their religion! Would they moan if a new Catholic church was going to be built up there?? They really would want to worry about their own little lives instead of a group of people wanting to have a place of their own to pray & worship in! Its embarrassing to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

thanks! It was the drug squad, and they all arrived out of the house a while ago, along with plain clothed Gardai! I didn't see them arrest anyone or anything, but I did see the sniffer dog be sent into the house!

This better not be the start of trouble up here! Three very young kids in this house too, so not good to see this carry on! :mad:
    The dogs (all or just some) could be in training Ciarrai- I know they get taken on tasks that resemble real situations so maybe that was one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Does anyone know where I can get a picture printed on a mug in Tralee?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Adiboo wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I can get a picture printed on a mug in Tralee?

Yes, CH chemist do it in their photo lab

koriko wrote: »
    The dogs (all or just some) could be in training Ciarrai- I know they get taken on tasks that resemble real situations so maybe that was one

pretty sure that's not the case based on the people living there...have had a bad feeling about the guy there for a while now!

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭koriko

pretty sure that's not the case based on the people living there...have had a bad feeling about the guy there for a while now!
    Oh no- drugs everywhere but what a nightmare when it's on your doorstep and smallies running around :-(

koriko wrote: »
    Oh no- drugs everywhere but what a nightmare when it's on your doorstep and smallies running around :-(

lets hope that's the end of it! Will be keeping an eye on them though, and if I think there's a hint of anything going on I'll ring the Gardai myself! There's so few owner occupiers where I live & so many rentals that it can be hard to keep an eye on things & I feel as though I'm the only one up there that gives a sh*t! Would do anything to sell up & move out of town! Damn this bloody negative equity crap! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

bobdcow wrote: »
    Just read a piece on traleetoday.ie about a group opposed to the building of a mosque in Tralee. They were handing out flyers in town to drum up support.

Let me guess, was Emerald Elvis and our own righteous fundamentalists involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

Tralee is great craic, a couple of weeks ago I woke up at 7am to the noise of the next door neighbours being raided and arrested. The garda had one of those little battering rams and everything (Don't think they used it though).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

I agree! There's no reason why they should be objections on this, its not going to harm anyone if it went ahead! No one is going to force the residents up there to change their religion! Would they moan if a new Catholic church was going to be built up there?? They really would want to worry about their own little lives instead of a group of people wanting to have a place of their own to pray & worship in! Its embarrassing to say the least!

I understand there have been concerns about the 5am call to prayers on loudspeakers. The council are trying to determine if this will be a feature of the mosque.
    Also, the mosque will have an 18 metre high dome, 23.6 metre high minaret, parapets and an assembly hall. That's a significant structure by any standards in Tralee, and is bound to attract opposition, regardless of its function.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement