Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I understand there have been concerns about the 5am call to prayers on loudspeakers. The council are trying to determine if this will be a feature of the mosque.
    Also, the mosque will have an 18 metre high dome, 23.6 metre high minaret, parapets and an assembly hall. That's a significant structure by any standards in Tralee, and is bound to attract opposition, regardless of its function.

One is a Planning issue and the other falls under noise pollution in an urban area, so no to the second, the first is for the planning authority to rule on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I understand there have been concerns about the 5am call to prayers on loudspeakers. The council are trying to determine if this will be a feature of the mosque.
    Also, the mosque will have an 18 metre high dome, 23.6 metre high minaret, parapets and an assembly hall. That's a significant structure by any standards in Tralee, and is bound to attract opposition, regardless of its function.

Its probably fair enough to have concerns about the 5am loudspeaker call to prayer (surely a better way to do it in the age we're in but that's a different story) but I wonder if I complained about the Church bell ringing at 8.30 on a Sunday morning when most sane people are asleep would my complaint be heard?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

BPKS wrote: »
    Its probably fair enough to have concerns about the 5am loudspeaker call to prayer (surely a better way to do it in the age we're in but that's a different story) but I wonder if I complained about the Church bell ringing at 8.30 on a Sunday morning when most sane people are asleep would my complaint be heard?

No arguable case if that same bell has been ringing at 08:30 every Sunday morning since long before you were born but if it were a case of planning for a new church in your locality being sought, you'd have every right to object on the grounds of noise concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

So they are harping on again about roofing the square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Boring username

Sure we might as well get a monorail too.

http://www.insidethemagic.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/monorailcolorWATER-410x600.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

There is an Open air cinema happening next Friday, 17th in the town park! It will be showing Raiders of the Lost Arc!!
    Hope the rain stays away!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1480816488877515/

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Have to say our co councillors are the biggest wastes of space.
    Another hair brained idea!!!
    Twod be more in there line to look after the blennerville steam way or the recently halted (due to lack of funding) Tralee to fenit gateway.
    I appreciate where there coming from but in all seriousness they first need to start with the basics.
    Encouraging people to town by reducing or eliminating parking. Getting the wardens to ease up a little (within reason)
    Reducing rates for business.

As a side note..... Does anyone know WHY the farmers market with the nice stalls is all the way out by the Brandon car park and not in the square every week????

Clab mor wrote: »
    Have to say our co councillors are the biggest wastes of space.
    Another hair brained idea!!!
    Twod be more in there line to look after the blennerville steam way or the recently halted (due to lack of funding) Tralee to fenit gateway.
    I appreciate where there coming from but in all seriousness they first need to start with the basics.
    Encouraging people to town by reducing or eliminating parking. Getting the wardens to ease up a little (within reason)
    Reducing rates for business.

As a side note..... Does anyone know WHY the farmers market with the nice stalls is all the way out by the Brandon car park and not in the square every week????

I would presume money. If you want a stall in the square its quite costly and I'm guessing selling some veg or homemade tarts once a week isn't going to cover the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Clab mor

Wang King wrote: »
    I would presume money. If you want a stall in the square its quite costly and I'm guessing selling some veg or homemade tarts once a week isn't going to cover the cost
    Absolutely insane practice!!! It should be free to encourage traders to the square!!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    There is an Open air cinema happening next Friday, 17th in the town park! It will be showing Raiders of the Lost Arc!!
    Hope the rain stays away!

https://www.facebook.com/events/1480816488877515/
    Is it not on the Friday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I went into town early today, 9.30 and the fire brigade and gardaí were outside CEX shop and Elverys, there seemed to be no visible damage and the cars were able to drive up the Mall.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bobdcow

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Let me guess, was Emerald Elvis and our own righteous fundamentalists involved?

I didn't see them personally - but the page did say that the group started out in Germany and this was the Irish branch protesting. I didn't recognise the 2 lads they had pictured - I'm sure Elvis would have been mentioned and photographed if he was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

I like the market down by the Brandon, you can pull in and park no problem, I go down most weeks just for the market and straight home, no desire to have to park somewhere specifically just to walk to it on a Saturday, it used to be in the square towards Pamela Scott and didn't do there either. Farmer's market shoppers aren't really the walk by trade, although I'm sure some would buy, but more inclined to make an effort to go to it and in that case the ease of parking is handy.

But it is not well supported enough and that is as much because people are price conscious as location. There was a great idea at one stage to put a market indoors in what was the empty building beside Tesco, now the furniture shop. That was a great idea, indoors and near parking, best of both worlds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Is it not on the Friday night

yes sorry, my mistake! I've edited it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

phormium wrote: »
    I like the market down by the Brandon, you can pull in and park no problem, I go down most weeks just for the market and straight home, no desire to have to park somewhere specifically just to walk to it on a Saturday, it used to be in the square towards Pamela Scott and didn't do there either. Farmer's market shoppers aren't really the walk by trade, although I'm sure some would buy, but more inclined to make an effort to go to it and in that case the ease of parking is handy.

But it is not well supported enough and that is as much because people are price conscience as location. There was a great idea at one stage to put a market indoors in what was the empty building beside Tesco, now the furniture shop. That was a great idea, indoors and near parking, best of both worlds.

I think the Square is far and away the best outdoor location....but the quality of stalls there leaves a lot to be desired...all they seem to sell are pound shop tat or IRA merchandise.

bobdcow wrote: »
    I went into town early today, 9.30 and the fire brigade and gardaí were outside CEX shop and Elverys, there seemed to be no visible damage and the cars were able to drive up the Mall.

Was going by at 9 and the staff were standing inside the door and smoke billowing out onto the street..... Darwin award in 5....4.....3...

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

Conor mcgregor fight

Any where showing it on the big screen tomor night?

Conor mcgregor fight

Would presume not since it starts after 3am

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Conor mcgregor fight

Yes!

My sitting room!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Was going by at 9 and the staff were standing inside the door and smoke billowing out onto the street..... Darwin award in 5....4.....3...

Where was on fire?

• Advertisement

Where was on fire?

The CEX shop, staff were standing in the doorway and smoke was coming out past them

I thought I heard/read that No. 4 on the Square didn't serve alcohol before 5pm? Maybe I heard wrong, because I passed today at 3pm and there was a man sitting outside with a pint bottle of Bulmers....in a pair of shorts & trainers! So they must have relaxed their 'policy'!?

I thought I heard/read that No. 4 on the Square didn't serve alcohol before 5pm? Maybe I heard wrong, because I passed today at 3pm and there was a man sitting outside with a pint bottle of Bulmers....in a pair of shorts & trainers! So they must have relaxed their 'policy'!?

He wasn't wearing a hoodie or tracksuit though!

He wasn't wearing a hoodie or tracksuit though!

Looked to me like a tracksuit top & shorts, but who knows!
    I thought they don't serve drink before 5pm though? I am hearing so many contradictions of their 'dress code policy' & their rules at this stage that I don't know what to believe!

Looked to me like a tracksuit top & shorts, but who knows!
    I thought they don't serve drink before 5pm though? I am hearing so many contradictions of their 'dress code policy' & their rules at this stage that I don't know what to believe!

Hadn't heard about the 5pm rule, would find it hard to believe to be truthful

Hadn't heard about the 5pm rule, would find it hard to believe to be truthful

a few people have mentioned it/complained on their reviews section of their FB page. I was told the same by a couple of people too. Unless they relax it on Friday's for the weekend maybe?

a few people have mentioned it/complained on their reviews section of their FB page. I was told the same by a couple of people too. Unless they relax it on Friday's for the weekend maybe?[/quote

Must go in Monday at 1pm and order a pint, I'll get you a babycham?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I was there last Saturday at lunch time and people were having wine and pints so that was a false rumour you heard. I actually saw some guy in trackie bottoms having lunch too so maybe they've quietly gotten rid of the dress code.

ongarboy wrote: »
    I was there last Saturday at lunch time and people were having wine and pints so that was a false rumour you heard. I actually saw some guy in trackie bottoms having lunch too so maybe they've quietly gotten rid of the dress code.

Read it on their Facebook page. There are a few complaints on there saying they were told by staff that no alcohol was served before 5pm. They may have relaxed all their rules though.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Went to the playdium today. The kids needed a run around, 'coz of the rain. Great spot, but packed. Lost half pint from the moment we got there, found him up the massive climbing thing beside the door. And I had to go up for the divil.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement