Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tralee Thread (No chit-chat)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Wang King wrote: »
    I have no issue with donations to refugees, but I wonder how many homeless people in Ireland would have to die before this sort of concerted effort would be made on their behalf?

In fact they are leaving the safe haven of Turkey and then through a number of safe European countries to get to Germany, Sweden etc that just happen to have better social welfare and other benefits!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I know some people may not agree with the post I put up, but I was asked by a friend if I would do it, so I did. Its up to each individual if they want to donate/contribute. I am not insisting people do it, you can give more locally if you wish. No pressure, no bother. Just wanted to put it out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I know some people may not agree with the post I put up, but I was asked by a friend if I would do it, so I did. Its up to each individual if they want to donate/contribute. I am not insisting people do it, you can give more locally if you wish. No pressure, no bother. Just wanted to put it out there.

No one is having a pop at you Ciarrai, its a great idea to post it, all I'm saying is that we don't see the same effort on behalf of our own people, nothing more .

Although!....I've just seen this ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

kn wrote: »
    In fact they are leaving the safe haven of Turkey and then through a number of safe European countries to get to Germany, Sweden etc that just happen to have better social welfare and other benefits!

I'm sorry but that's utter bollox. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal but I'd suggest you read up on the situation in Syria before dipping your oar in like that. These people are fleeing for their lives. A lot of them are very well educated and are well of the risks involved in risking bringing their family on a Mediterranean crossing but choose to do it anyway due to the alternatives. They are anything but welfare scroungers. It's I'll advised to attempt to compare this to the homeless issue in Ireland, it's apples and oranges. The homeless issue is often to do with mental health issues/ drugs / alcohol problems and is far more complicated to deal with. If people are willing to get off their arses for once to help some people in need then I can't see why anyone would want to knock it. Sometimes it takes a jolt like that picture to get things moving unfortunately. Rant over. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

As we seen with that poor homeless man that died outside Government buildings, you'll have the likes if Minister Alan kelly posing for the cameras for a few weeks. And then it will be forgotten about, and nothing will change!

Was that the same poor homeless fella that sold two houses to feed his drug addiction?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Try not to get too off-topic! (or political!) Just wanted to post up the local collections for the issue. Thanks!

No one is having a pop at you Ciarrai, its a great idea to post it, all I'm saying is that we don't see the same effort on behalf of our own people, nothing more .

no worries, just wanted to let people who do wish to help know where is taking the donations etc. It is true, we should be making the same concious effort for the homeless situation here, but I guess this is being highlighted at a world wide level, for the moment!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Was that the same poor homeless fella that sold two houses to feed his drug addiction?

And the peoole coming here from Syria won't have any problems?

xxyyzz wrote: »
    These people are fleeing for their lives.

From Turkey? Greece? Macedonia? Serbia? Hungary????

• Advertisement

What's the story with the All-Ireland final tickets, when do they go on sale? Will they only be available through the various clubs and the county board office?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    What's the story with the All-Ireland final tickets, when do they go on sale? Will they only be available through the various clubs and the county board office?

Tickets are sold through the clubs so put your name in with your club secretary

Tickets are sold through the clubs so put your name in with your club secretary

just checking for someone who was asking. They were asking when they are out. I don't think I'll be able to go unfortunately :(

From Turkey? Greece? Macedonia? Serbia? Hungary????

The ones fleeing Syria.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

The ones fleeing Syria.

Why are they fleeing Syria but not staying in the first safe country they get to?

Why keep moving west.

Is it to get better social welfare?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Why are they fleeing Syria but not staying in the first safe country they get to?

Why keep moving west.

Is it to get better social welfare?

They heard about the Irish saying, cead mile failte. You can come in and we'll make you a millionaire.

Anyway, c'mon the Kingdom.

The ones fleeing Syria.

And kept on fleeing until they got to the countries with the better social welfare and social housing!

And kept on fleeing until they got to the countries with the better social welfare and social housing!

Germany are the only country willing to take large numbers of them. Other countries like Hungary are putting them in refugee camps. Most normal people will attempt to go where they can get the best deal for their family. It's pretty sick that you're portraying them as welfare tourists, their government tried to wipe them and their kids out with sarin gas attacks. Isis has flooded their country to fight the government (the same crowd who burn people alive in cages) so they risk their lives to save their families only to be portrayed as scroungers by some Internet heroes with a very tenuous grasp of the reality of the situation.

Lads this is going way off topic! The original post regarding the refugee collection was to inform people of the local collection points, not to have a discussion on the refugee crisis. There is another forum for that, so take it there please.
    MOD

Sorry, you're right. Apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Anybody know what's story with watching a replay of the all ireland final?

I'm out of the country, will miss the match.

Is there rte player or some way of me watching the match that evening? How soon would it be available after the match ends?

I can't record it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Anybody know what's story with watching a replay of the all ireland final?

I'm out of the country, will miss the match.

Is there rte player or some way of me watching the match that evening? How soon would it be available after the match ends?

I can't record it

It will be on Sky as well so you could catch it on Sky Go if you have a Sky account

RTE and the GAA have GAA GO it also shows replays of the games

https://gaago.rte.ie/

Planning permission has been granted for the proposed mosque without a call to prayer speaker system

Planning permission has been granted for the proposed mosque without a call to prayer speaker system

Watch the for sale signs in the area go up by the dozen in the months ahead.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ten Kerry tax cheats in the latest Revenue list:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/ten-kerry-people-on-the-latest-tax-defaulters-list-amounting-to-almost-e1-2-million/

The fact they get away with pay-offs is ridiculous. There should be a compulsory community-service element as part of every tax settlement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

Community service are you serious?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Quackster wrote: »
    Ten Kerry tax cheats in the latest Revenue list:

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/ten-kerry-people-on-the-latest-tax-defaulters-list-amounting-to-almost-e1-2-million/

The fact they get away with pay-offs is ridiculous. There should be a compulsory community-service element as part of every tax settlement.

A solicitor no less!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭316

A solicitor no less!

Its only fools that are tax compliant.

316 wrote: »
    Community service are you serious?

Well what I'd personally like to do with them, I couldn't possibly post here.

• Advertisement

316 wrote: »
    Its only fools that are tax compliant.

A very civic-minded attitude there.. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement